The board's server will undergo upgrade maintenance tonight, Nov 5, 2014, beginning approximately around 10 PM ET. Prepare for some possible down time during this process.
FAQ    Search

Board index » Word on the Street » News & Debate

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 487 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12 ... 25  Next
 Post subject: Re: Alex Jones, Food Babe, AntiVax and other such Woo
PostPosted: Tue December 08, 2015 2:56 am 
Site Admin

Green Habit wrote:
So, maybe Chipotle should worry less about GMOs and a bit more about E. Coli.
The BC basketball team agrees:

http://deadspin.com/half-the-boston-col ... 1746776378

PostPosted: Tue December 08, 2015 3:00 am 
I Have A Third Nipple

Green Habit wrote:
Green Habit wrote:
So, maybe Chipotle should worry less about GMOs and a bit more about E. Coli.
The BC basketball team agrees:

http://deadspin.com/half-the-boston-col ... 1746776378

Quote:
Boston College’s next game is against #15 Providence on Wednesday night, though it remains to be seen how many players will be well enough to participate.

Woo! Go Friars!

I ate at that Chipotle 3-4 times a week when I was working on my master's degree at BC. There but for the grace of Quetzalcoatl go I...

PostPosted: Tue December 08, 2015 3:52 am 
Poster of the Year

This is why I go to Qdoba.

PostPosted: Thu December 10, 2015 3:50 pm 
Site Admin

This paragraph demonstrates that Chipotle's always going to have a bigger problem dealing with this than others--unless they take the pretension down a few notches.

http://www.vox.com/business-and-finance ... -explained

Quote:
One reason the company may be struggling is its commitment to fresh ingredients. Big restaurant chains that serve canned or frozen foods can centralize their food distribution systems, allowing them to more easily monitor their supply chains and implement stringent procedures to eliminate foodborne illnesses. But Chipotle uses fresh ingredients sourced from a wide variety of local suppliers that may not have the capacity for stringent quality controls. That makes the company more vulnerable to outbreaks, and puts more of the onus for food safety on the managers of the company's 1,700 restaurants.

PostPosted: Thu December 10, 2015 3:58 pm 
I Have A Third Nipple

Well, it's pretty clear that this was actually norovirus in Boston, not e. coli. It's still not good for Chipotle, of course.

PostPosted: Thu December 10, 2015 4:03 pm 
Guys, I am not a moderator! I swear to God! Why does everyone think I'm a moderator?

My father got some kind of food poisoning from Chipotle here in SC about 3 months ago.

PostPosted: Wed June 01, 2016 9:52 am 
Broken Tamborine

http://www.nbcnews.com/health/flu-fever-linked-autism-pregnancy-study-1C7002572

Inflammation of the immune system is blamed. The article goes out of it's way to prevent the question of vaccines coming up:

Quote:
. Vaccines do not stimulate a similar immune response, doctors note.

Quote:
....but that study has been debunked and the doctor who wrote it stripped of his license. Many researchers have tried hard since to find any possible evidence that vaccines could cause autism and they have been unable to.

But...

http://www.npr.org/sections/health-shots/2011/08/25/139947193/report-vaccines-are-safe-hazards-few-and-far-between

Quote:
Two live vaccines — MMR and one against chickenpox — were found to be responsible for most of the serious side effects. The committee found clear evidence that the MMR can cause fever-related seizures, which usually cause no long-term harm. The MMR also can cause brain inflammation in people with immune system problems.

The varicella vaccine can cause a variety of problems, including brain swelling, hepatitis, shingles and pneumonia, though those problems almost always happen in children with immune system problems. The fact that both vaccines are made from live viruses, rather than killed microbes, accounts for the greater risk.

Hmmm.... I understand the need to keep up herd immunity and reassure the crazies (both my kids are fully vaccinated), but perhaps speaking in such absolutes w/r to highly biodiverse virus, bacteria, and human genetics is a mistake.

http://www.livefootsteps.org/user/?usr=1278

PostPosted: Wed June 01, 2016 11:24 pm 
Troglodyte
 WWW  Profile

What they fail to mention is how often those complications occur when a child is infected with measles, mumps, rubella, and varicella disease.

PostPosted: Fri September 09, 2016 8:27 pm 
Troglodyte
 WWW  Profile

Dr. Bob "try my delayed vaccination schedule" Sears is getting ready lose his medical license. http://justthevax.blogspot.com/2016/09/ ... dical.html

PostPosted: Mon April 10, 2017 5:31 pm 
I Have A Third Nipple

A friend of my wife's family was militantly anti-vax when she had her first kid a few years ago (she has two now). Throughout her entire pregnancy, she'd post anti-vax stories on Facebook daily, and after her son was born she'd keep us updated with every meeting with his doctor and how she refused each and every vaccination offered. So, uh, her first son is two now and it's been confirmed that he's on the autism spectrum. No tea, no shade, I just hope she gets the kids vaccinated now before they go to school.

PostPosted: Mon April 24, 2017 7:44 pm 
Site Admin

http://www.idahostatesman.com/news/busi ... 11289.html

Quote:
Chobani, the Greek yogurt maker, is suing Alex Jones, the right-wing conspiracy theorist who says the Sandy Hook Elementary School mass shooting was a hoax, 9/11 was an inside job by the U.S. government and Chobani imports migrant rapists to Twin Falls.

PostPosted: Mon June 12, 2017 3:24 pm 
Site Admin

What's RM's opinion on Megyn Kelly interviewing Alex Jones?

PostPosted: Mon June 12, 2017 3:26 pm 
NYUCK NYUCK NYUCK

Is he just completely walking back his custody-case claim that paranoid conspiracy theorist Alex Jones was just a character he was playing?

PostPosted: Mon June 19, 2017 11:03 pm 
Troglodyte
 WWW  Profile

Green Habit wrote:
What's RM's opinion on Megyn Kelly interviewing Alex Jones?

Is she going to confront him better than she did Putin?

PostPosted: Tue June 20, 2017 10:26 pm 
Site Admin

This looks so, so good:

http://foodevolutionmovie.com/

PostPosted: Wed June 21, 2017 2:05 am 
Looks Like a Cat

Green Habit wrote:
http://www.idahostatesman.com/news/business/article146411289.html

Quote:
Chobani, the Greek yogurt maker, is suing Alex Jones, the right-wing conspiracy theorist who says the Sandy Hook Elementary School mass shooting was a hoax, 9/11 was an inside job by the U.S. government and Chobani imports migrant rapists to Twin Falls.

Chobani unapologetically discriminates against US workers. Fuck them.

PostPosted: Tue June 27, 2017 1:08 am 
Site Admin

I've tired of John Oliver, but we can use as much pro-vaccination stuff out there as possible. Carries on the fine work in the entertainment realm as Penn and Teller did, who I'm sure would tear the vaccine delayers up if they were still doing their show.

PostPosted: Tue June 27, 2017 1:23 am 
Rank This Poster

I'm still shocked at the number of fairly smart people who are anti-GMO. I'd say it's the biggest case of widely accepted woo out there.

PostPosted: Wed June 28, 2017 7:04 pm 
Rank This Poster

run2death wrote:
I'm still shocked at the number of fairly smart people who are anti-GMO. I'd say it's the biggest case of widely accepted woo out there.

This bag of chips says "Produced with Genetic Engineering."

I guess while you're stuffing your face with Doritos you get really concerned that a scientist may have discovered a more efficient way to produce one of the ingredients.

WTF? On a big bag of greasy ass chips, really?

PostPosted: Thu June 29, 2017 10:35 am 
Looks Like a Cat

Green Habit wrote:
I've tired of John Oliver, but we can use as much pro-vaccination stuff out there as possible. Carries on the fine work in the entertainment realm as Penn and Teller did, who I'm sure would tear the vaccine delayers up if they were still doing their show.

I wonder... assume a neutral position for minute and follow me down another rabbit hole. We know that a range of health issues are caused by inflammation and overreactive immunological responses, why is it discounted that some children's immune systems have more destructive responses than others? I'm not arguing against vaccination or delaying vaccinations, it seems unscientific given the breadth of genetic diversity and gestation conditions to take an absolutist position here. I think the whole mercury preservatives thing can be discounted but that's not the only possibility, that's just the easy one to understand (blame corporations).

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 487 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12 ... 25  Next

Board index » Word on the Street » News & Debate