The board's server will undergo upgrade maintenance tonight, Nov 5, 2014, beginning approximately around 10 PM ET. Prepare for some possible down time during this process.
FAQ    Search

Board index » Word on the Street » News & Debate

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1626 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23 ... 82  Next
 Post subject: Re: Does anyone care about the economy?
PostPosted: Thu February 05, 2015 4:35 pm 
Rank This Poster

doug rr wrote:
Alex wrote:
doug rr wrote:
oil and rate cuts with more to come

should we be worried about dev?

he can kiss his modship goodbye...we cant have the worst performing primary currency tied to the worst performing primary poster

PostPosted: Fri February 27, 2015 8:02 am 
likes rhythmic things that butt up against each other

Quote:
So it is as clear as it can be that the current dire position of the Greek economy is the result of a huge mistake by the Troika. The size of the collapse in the Greek economy is similar to the fall in Irish output during the Great Irish Famine of 1845-53, and while the suffering in the latter is obviously of a different order, the attitude of some in the Eurozone is as misconceived as most English politicians during the famine. Of that event they say 'God sent the blight but the English made the famine'. In the future the Greeks may justly say ‘our politicians caused the deficit but the Troika made the depression’.

-Simon Wren-Lewis, Economics professor at Oxford University, and a fellow of Merton College

http://mainlymacro.blogspot.fi/2015/02/ ... luses.html

PostPosted: Sun April 26, 2015 10:57 pm 
Site Admin

Sounds like shit's still real over in Greece.

http://finance.yahoo.com/news/greece-fa ... 36612.html

But on another note, the habit of SYRIZA to target Germany as the principal foe has reminded me of the legendary davejeni. If he still posted here I'm sure he'd have even more legendary posts like this on this subject, and I would keep responding by linking to this video at this spot.

PostPosted: Tue April 28, 2015 1:04 am 
Rank This Poster

Ya know, to have "toxic austerity" forced opon you, you've got to be doing some pretty stupid things financially to get to that point. Just saying.

PostPosted: Tue April 28, 2015 2:35 am 
Misplaced My Sponge

Electromatic wrote:
Ya know, to have "toxic austerity" forced opon you, you've got to be doing some pretty stupid things financially to get to that point. Just saying.

The choices are clearly cruel, cruel austerity or ponies and rainbows for all. It's the fault of the damned eurocrats that the people of Greece are being denied ponies and rainbows.

PostPosted: Sun June 28, 2015 5:38 am 
An enigma of a man shaped hole in the wall between reality and the soul of the devil.

Shit or get off the pot, Greece.

“And truly, if life had no purpose, and I had to choose nonsense, this would be the most desirable nonsense for me as well."

PostPosted: Sun June 28, 2015 9:04 pm 
The Master

Could someone knowledgeable explain exactly what Bernie Sanders is proposing with his "break up too-big-to-fail banks" proposal? I don't really understand what he's suggesting. What does "breaking up" entail, exactly? What happens after they are "broken up?"

PostPosted: Mon June 29, 2015 1:16 am 
RM Elitist

LoathedVermin72 wrote:
Could someone knowledgeable explain exactly what Bernie Sanders is proposing with his "break up too-big-to-fail banks" proposal? I don't really understand what he's suggesting. What does "breaking up" entail, exactly? What happens after they are "broken up?"

we forget about their monopoly after five years or so, and allow them to reacquire everything they spun off within the following 20 years.

See: AT&T

PostPosted: Tue July 07, 2015 12:11 pm 
An enigma of a man shaped hole in the wall between reality and the soul of the devil.

Europe is totally gonna back down, aren't they?

“And truly, if life had no purpose, and I had to choose nonsense, this would be the most desirable nonsense for me as well."

PostPosted: Sat July 11, 2015 2:18 pm 
TIER 1 Essential Critical Infrastructure Worker

I read an article yesterday about why Gen Xers are making more than their parents did but are saving significantly less than their parents. I don't have the link but here's the five take aways:

1. Adjusted for inflation take home wages have been stagnant since the early 70s.
2. College costs started to explode in the 80s and keep increasing. More Gen Xers went to college than their parents and have more debt starting out because of these costs. And it's a double barrel cost as Gen Xers look at sending their own children to college.
3. Gen Xers started buying houses in the '00s as the bubble grew. When it popped home values fell dramatically and Gen X became the first generation to see their biggest investment become less than what they paid. Some areas have gotten back to above their peak; some have not.
4. The stock market grew dramatically in the 80s & 90s. Since 2000 the stock market has averaged 2% growth annually. A lot of that is reflected in the Great Recession so the numbers are skewed a bit in the late '00s but the market is not growing like it was a generation ago.
5. Very low interest rates are great for buying a house but do next to nothing for savings accounts.

My generation was the first not to realistically think Social Security & pensions were not going to be there for our retirement so we set up 401ks & IRAs and such. But as we start getting to the midway point of our working careers a lot of us are just not seeing the beginnings of a nest egg like our parents were able to create.

PostPosted: Sat July 11, 2015 4:08 pm 
Site Admin

People think Millennials are going to be screwed financially but it's really Xers, for all the reasons you stated--and as you also said, most Xers know it, too.

PostPosted: Mon July 13, 2015 11:39 pm 
See you in another life, brother

Green Habit wrote:
People think Millennials are going to be screwed financially but it's really Xers, for all the reasons you stated--and as you also said, most Xers know it, too.

Xers are also relatively smaller than Boomers and Millennials so they could also have less power at the polls throughout most of their lifetime.

PostPosted: Tue July 14, 2015 1:57 am 
Site Admin

4/5 wrote:
Green Habit wrote:
Xers are also relatively smaller than Boomers and Millennials so they could also have less power at the polls throughout most of their lifetime.
Most definitely.

PostPosted: Mon August 24, 2015 1:33 pm 
TIER 1 Essential Critical Infrastructure Worker

Ugh, what is it this time?
Spoiler: show
I know, it's China

PostPosted: Thu December 17, 2015 1:23 pm 
See you in another life, brother

Well, ZIRP ∞ technically ended yesterday. That's something.

PostPosted: Fri January 15, 2016 9:07 pm 
I've been POOSSTTIiiEEnngeeaahh

I'm confused. Why are the markets freaking out about oil prices dropping? We know Saudi Arabia is pumping like crazy to freeze out US shale. Is it really lack of demand or too much product? It's like the market is talking themselves into a crash.

PostPosted: Fri January 15, 2016 9:13 pm 

I know that we went from getting paid for our used oil pickup to paying for it just this week.

PostPosted: Fri January 15, 2016 9:14 pm 
Poster of the Year

Just bury it out back.

PostPosted: Fri January 15, 2016 9:16 pm 

The EPA would crawl up my ass so far I would choke.

PostPosted: Fri January 15, 2016 9:18 pm 
Guys, I am not a moderator! I swear to God! Why does everyone think I'm a moderator?

cutuphalfdead wrote:
Just bury it out back.

no, no, no. Go to the nearby walmart and pour it down a storm drain.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1626 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23 ... 82  Next

Board index » Word on the Street » News & Debate