The board's server will undergo upgrade maintenance tonight, Nov 5, 2014, beginning approximately around 10 PM ET. Prepare for some possible down time during this process.
FAQ    Search

Board index » Word on the Street » News & Debate

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1626 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 82  Next
 Post subject: Re: Does anyone care about the economy?
PostPosted: Tue January 08, 2013 10:47 am 
The worst

simple schoolboy wrote:
The other thing is that this administration hasn't passed a budget in forever so much of what congress agrees to go into debt for is just rolled over. Its kind of hard to blame this congress for not wanting to fund things agreed to by a previous budget. I was somewhat familiar with that argument and it seems like hokum to me.

Congress passes a budget. The administration just proposes one.

Running TSIS Review

I Am No Guide - Pearl Jam Song by Song - Coming this July!
He/Him/His

PostPosted: Tue January 08, 2013 3:50 pm 
Misplaced My Sponge

Stip wrote:
simple schoolboy wrote:
The other thing is that this administration hasn't passed a budget in forever so much of what congress agrees to go into debt for is just rolled over. Its kind of hard to blame this congress for not wanting to fund things agreed to by a previous budget. I was somewhat familiar with that argument and it seems like hokum to me.

I understand that. They usually have their allies in congress make proposals. Am I mistaken that there hasn't been a comprehensive budget passed in several years and that most mundane spending has just been rolled over?

PostPosted: Tue January 08, 2013 4:59 pm 
The worst

simple schoolboy wrote:
Stip wrote:
simple schoolboy wrote:

I understand that. They usually have their allies in congress make proposals. Am I mistaken that there hasn't been a comprehensive budget passed in several years and that most mundane spending has just been rolled over?

I believe that's correct. But Congress still authorizes the roll overs. that's not an automatic budgetary process. So in a lot of ways we're just splitting hairs. Congress is passing budgets, just not a new budget.

Running TSIS Review

He/Him/His

PostPosted: Tue January 08, 2013 6:49 pm 
Future Drummer

News stories always highlight workers/people falling through the gaps. Is there any concensus about the education or skill sets required to succeed today. Are the impediments that truly prevent people a dedicated person from achieving success? Or is failure more due to competing lifestyle choices and valuing other things over economic success?

I'd go with.....
- practical university degree and related professional designation, think accounting, engineering, health sciences
- Willingness to continually update your skill and education
- communication skills
- certified trades, such as plumber, electrician, hvac
- willingness to relocate, you have to be willing to go where the jobs are
- entrepreneurial risk taking

PostPosted: Tue January 08, 2013 7:59 pm 
The worst

the assumption here is that college is a trade school.

Running TSIS Review

He/Him/His

PostPosted: Wed January 09, 2013 3:23 am 
likes rhythmic things that butt up against each other

burying money and digging it up is little different in practice than digging for gold. :)

PostPosted: Wed January 09, 2013 1:54 pm 
Future Drummer

Human Bass wrote:
I just want to hear that nobody heres believe that a infinite debt will help.

If your only customer has infinite debt, then you lend them money or else you can't sell your products. So long as we can maintain dominance over critical resources (food, fresh water, petrol, steel), an infinite debt might not be an issue.

PostPosted: Wed January 09, 2013 6:00 pm 
A Return To Form

broken iris wrote:
Human Bass wrote:

If your only customer has infinite debt, then you lend them money or else you can't sell your products. So long as we can maintain dominance over critical resources (food, fresh water, petrol, steel), an infinite debt might not be an issue.

This scenario is pure nonsense and you know it.

PostPosted: Wed January 09, 2013 6:16 pm 
Future Drummer

Human Bass wrote:
broken iris wrote:
Human Bass wrote:

I don't know it. I am starting to believe central banks (who control the money supply and all information about that money supply) can simply make up the rules for fiat currencies as they go, so why not create a loop that will last as long as resource inputs do? I mean, how do you really know what the debt actually is? It is what the government says it is. But the government is also the debtor, so how can you trust them?

PostPosted: Wed January 09, 2013 7:24 pm 
A Return To Form

broken iris wrote:
Human Bass wrote:
broken iris wrote:
Human Bass wrote:

I don't know it. I am starting to believe central banks (who control the money supply and all information about that money supply) can simply make up the rules for fiat currencies as they go, so why not create a loop that will last as long as resource inputs do? I mean, how do you really know what the debt actually is? It is what the government says it is. But the government is also the debtor, so how can you trust them?

The FED and the american gov are powerful, but not almighty to fool everybody indefinitely, and there is also the whole issue of stagnaflation, workers becoming less competitive, capital misalocated and all this jazz that no currency manipulation will avoid (actually just make it worse). All the muscles are turning into fat and no shirt will be able to disguise that.

PostPosted: Sat January 12, 2013 9:37 pm 
The worst

lawrence tribe on the 'trillion dollar coin'

I don’t think it makes sense to think about this as some sort of “loophole” issue. Using the statute this way doesn’t entail exploiting a loophole; it entails just reading the plain language that Congress used. The statute clearly does authorize the issuance of trillion-dollar coins. First, the statute itself doesn’t set any limit on coin value. Second, other clauses of 31 USC §5112 do set such limits, but §5112(k)—dealing with platinum coins—does not. So expressio unius strengthens the inference that there isn’t any limit here.

Of course, Congress probably didn’t have trillion-dollar coins in mind, but there’s no textual or other legal basis for importing this probable intention into the statute. What 535 people might have had in their collective “mind” just can’t control the meaning of a law this clear.

It’s also quite clear that the minting of such a coin couldn’t be challenged; I don’t see who would have standing.

http://www.washingtonmonthly.com/ten-mi ... um=twitter

Running TSIS Review

He/Him/His

PostPosted: Sun January 13, 2013 2:55 am 
Site Admin

Stip wrote:

I don’t think it makes sense to think about this as some sort of “loophole” issue. Using the statute this way doesn’t entail exploiting a loophole; it entails just reading the plain language that Congress used. The statute clearly does authorize the issuance of trillion-dollar coins. First, the statute itself doesn’t set any limit on coin value. Second, other clauses of 31 USC §5112 do set such limits, but §5112(k)—dealing with platinum coins—does not. So expressio unius strengthens the inference that there isn’t any limit here.

Of course, Congress probably didn’t have trillion-dollar coins in mind, but there’s no textual or other legal basis for importing this probable intention into the statute. What 535 people might have had in their collective “mind” just can’t control the meaning of a law this clear.

It’s also quite clear that the minting of such a coin couldn’t be challenged; I don’t see who would have standing.

I see Tribe is channeling his inner Scalia in a bizarro way. It almost reads as a taunt to dare SCOTUS to even challenge this in an effort to get Scalia to contradict himself.

PostPosted: Sun January 13, 2013 3:47 am 
A Return To Form

Stip wrote:

"There is no law that forbids this extremely stupid idea, so it's ok even if extremely stupid".

PostPosted: Mon January 14, 2013 1:59 am 
likes rhythmic things that butt up against each other

Human Bass wrote:
Stip wrote:

"There is no law that forbids this extremely stupid idea, so it's ok even if extremely stupid".

lol, yeah pretty much.

PostPosted: Mon January 14, 2013 2:07 am 
Rank This Poster

I kind of want this coin to be quarter sized and then deposited by mistake in a soda machine.

PostPosted: Mon January 14, 2013 2:26 am 
for those who
are not...shall be

Electromatic wrote:
I kind of want this coin to be quarter sized and then deposited by mistake in a soda machine.

imagine the change pouring out from that fucker

PostPosted: Mon January 14, 2013 1:41 pm 
Future Drummer

knee tunes wrote:
Electromatic wrote:

imagine the change pouring out from that fucker

PostPosted: Mon January 14, 2013 5:34 pm 
Future Drummer

So, anyone kinda surprised by the payroll tax increase? I knew it was coming, but dang.

PostPosted: Mon January 14, 2013 6:35 pm 
for those who
are not...shall be

broken iris wrote:
So, anyone kinda surprised by the payroll tax increase? I knew it was coming, but dang.

It's not an increase.

It's a return to what it was forever and ever before the known-to-be temporary "decrease".

PostPosted: Mon January 14, 2013 6:53 pm 
Future Drummer

knee tunes wrote:
broken iris wrote:

It's not an increase.

It's a return to what it was forever and ever before the known-to-be temporary "decrease".

Good point, I was wrong to use that word.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1626 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 82  Next

Board index » Word on the Street » News & Debate