The board's server will undergo upgrade maintenance tonight, Nov 5, 2014, beginning approximately around 10 PM ET. Prepare for some possible down time during this process.
FAQ    Search

Board index » Word on the Street » News & Debate

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 9435 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 463, 464, 465, 466, 467, 468, 469 ... 472  Next
 Post subject: Re: Election 2016
PostPosted: Thu November 24, 2016 2:02 am 
Production Police

Bi_3 wrote:
theplatypus wrote:
Clinton being urged by computer scientists to pursue recounts in Michigan and Pennsylvania due to possible vote tampering.

Pretty unlikely this amounts to anything, right?

Nate Silver, everyone's man crush in N&D, says they do not:

Run a regression on Wisc. counties with >=50K people, and you find that Clinton improved more in counties with only paper ballots. HOWEVER: pic.twitter.com/4swuU70NaY
— Nate Silver (@NateSilver538) November 23, 2016

...the effect COMPLETELY DISAPPEARS once you control for race and education levels, the key factors in predicting vote shifts this year. pic.twitter.com/NYOINx9lEz

Maybe a more complicated analysis would reveal something, but usually bad news when a finding can't survive a basic sanity check like this.

Nothing in Pennsylvania, either, whether or not you control for demographics. pic.twitter.com/25moBhv3Zm

And Michigan has paper ballots everywhere, so not even sure what claim is being made there. pic.twitter.com/4YKrZEhTJl

Ugh. I'm just starting to realize I've formed a real negative, visceral reaction to data wonks. It's been long-gestating (Mrs Trag did her masters at an Ivy League, and a lot of those people are so effing annoying)...

I much prefer the big think and dissection of systems of Nader, Chomsky, Klein, etc over this sort of bullshit.

PostPosted: Thu November 24, 2016 2:14 am 
Site Admin

tragabigzanda wrote:
Ugh. I'm just starting to realize I've formed a real negative, visceral reaction to data wonks. It's been long-gestating (Mrs Trag did her masters at an Ivy League, and a lot of those people are so effing annoying)...

I much prefer the big think and dissection of systems of Nader, Chomsky, Klein, etc over this sort of bullshit.
I do think Silver has a know-it-all strain that can indeed be fucking annoying, even if he is usually right.

PostPosted: Thu November 24, 2016 2:40 am 
An enigma of a man shaped hole in the wall between reality and the soul of the devil.

theplatypus wrote:
BurtReynolds wrote:
McParadigm wrote:
BurtReynolds wrote:
Given the democrats refusal to take steps against voter fraud when they had the chance, I can't see how they would complain now.

1. Fraud is not typically an issue. Suppression and districting manipulation are.
2. Much of the problem exists at the state level, where governments trend much more republican. They only get cut down via legal effort. See: Scott Walker's suppression attempt.

I just found out episode 5 drops tomorrow!
Spoiler: show

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DbK49fAuB0U

The fact that I'd never seen any of those videos before means the free Internet failed me

They flew under the radar for awhile.

“And truly, if life had no purpose, and I had to choose nonsense, this would be the most desirable nonsense for me as well."

PostPosted: Thu November 24, 2016 5:37 pm 
NYUCK NYUCK NYUCK

PostPosted: Thu November 24, 2016 6:17 pm 
The Master

tragabigzanda wrote:
Bi_3 wrote:
theplatypus wrote:
Clinton being urged by computer scientists to pursue recounts in Michigan and Pennsylvania due to possible vote tampering.

Run a regression on Wisc. counties with >=50K people, and you find that Clinton improved more in counties with only paper ballots. HOWEVER: pic.twitter.com/4swuU70NaY

...the effect COMPLETELY DISAPPEARS once you control for race and education levels, the key factors in predicting vote shifts this year. pic.twitter.com/NYOINx9lEz

Maybe a more complicated analysis would reveal something, but usually bad news when a finding can't survive a basic sanity check like this.

Nothing in Pennsylvania, either, whether or not you control for demographics. pic.twitter.com/25moBhv3Zm

And Michigan has paper ballots everywhere, so not even sure what claim is being made there. pic.twitter.com/4YKrZEhTJl

who hurt you

PostPosted: Thu November 24, 2016 6:22 pm 
Production Police

LoathedVermin72 wrote:
tragabigzanda wrote:
Bi_3 wrote:
theplatypus wrote:

who hurt you

I was capable of empathy until I discovered RM.

PostPosted: Thu November 24, 2016 9:13 pm 
An enigma of a man shaped hole in the wall between reality and the soul of the devil.

http://metrocosm.com/election-2016-map-3d/

“And truly, if life had no purpose, and I had to choose nonsense, this would be the most desirable nonsense for me as well."

PostPosted: Thu November 24, 2016 10:24 pm 
The Master

tragabigzanda wrote:
LoathedVermin72 wrote:
tragabigzanda wrote:
Bi_3 wrote:
theplatypus wrote:

who hurt you

I was capable of empathy until I discovered RM.

A story I know all too well

PostPosted: Sat November 26, 2016 1:44 am 
NEVER STOP JAMMING!

welp it was a good run. if i am to be displaced in LV's signature i am just glad it was by trag

All posts by this account, even those referencing real things, are entirely fictional and are for entertainment purposes only; i.e. very low-quality entertainment. These may contain coarse language and due to their content should not be viewed by anyone

PostPosted: Sat November 26, 2016 11:45 pm 
Looks Like a Cat

Greenwald on the "fake news" canard being peddled by the Post

https://theintercept.com/2016/11/26/washington-post-disgracefully-promotes-a-mccarthyite-blacklist-from-a-new-hidden-and-very-shady-group/

PostPosted: Sun November 27, 2016 1:14 am 
NEVER STOP JAMMING!

fuck WaPo. I blame this whole shit on them.

All posts by this account, even those referencing real things, are entirely fictional and are for entertainment purposes only; i.e. very low-quality entertainment. These may contain coarse language and due to their content should not be viewed by anyone

PostPosted: Sun November 27, 2016 9:20 pm 
Looks Like a Cat

Not sure how legally accurate this is but:

Quote:

The Democrats’ real strategy in launching recounts

By Richard Baehr

The recount in Wisconsin, and the coming ones in Michigan and Pennsylvania will not change the outcomes in any of the states. No recount ever changes thousands of votes. I do not think that is the purpose.

The recounts, if done by hand, which can be demanded, may take longer than the last day for completing the official counts in a state and directing Electoral College voters. If all 3 states miss the deadline, Trump is at 260, Hillary at 232. No one hits 270.

Then this goes to Congress, where the House voting 1 vote per state elects Trump, and Senate selects Pence. This would be first time Pthis happened since 1824, but in that case, John Quincy Adams won in the House, though he had fewer electoral college votes than Andrew Jackson.

If this goes to the US House and Senate, and the result is the same as result from the Electoral College without the recounts, why do it? The answer is to make Trump seem even more illegitimate, that he did not win the popular vote (he lost by over 2.1 million), he did not win the Electoral College (did not reach 270), and was elected by being inserted into the presidency by members of his own party in Congress.

PostPosted: Sun November 27, 2016 9:35 pm 
I've been POOSSTTIiiEEnngeeaahh

lol@

PostPosted: Tue November 29, 2016 2:26 am 
NEVER STOP JAMMING!

this is the dawning of the age of aquarius

PostPosted: Mon December 05, 2016 4:29 pm 
Poster of the Year

https://www.washingtonpost.com/opinions ... story.html

Interesting take, but I have to disagree with him here. One reason he says to keep the EC is it "magnifies the mandate" but another way to say that would be that it "distorts reality".

Also, his fears of a candidate winning the Presidency in a crowded field with a small percentage of the vote could be alleviated with instant run off voting.

PostPosted: Tue December 06, 2016 1:24 am 
I Have A Third Nipple

Good news, Pearl Jam fans in North Carolina:

http://mobile.reuters.com/article/idUSKBN13U28E

PostPosted: Tue December 06, 2016 1:57 am 
Guys, I am not a moderator! I swear to God! Why does everyone think I'm a moderator?

Simple Torture wrote:

Watch they'll come back now and I won't win tickets in the lottery this time. This thread is pissing me off

PostPosted: Tue December 06, 2016 2:11 am 
Site Admin

Simple Torture wrote:

Does HB2 have to be outright repealed, or is it good enough if the new governor doesn't enforce it or the courts strike it down? Let us know, PJ.

PostPosted: Tue December 06, 2016 3:37 am 
NEVER STOP JAMMING!

they require a gift gesture prior to offering a response. typically, either a dumpster or above-ground-swimming pool full of cash, with ed's favorite thing of the moment painted on the side

PostPosted: Tue December 06, 2016 12:58 pm 
I Have A Third Nipple

96583UP wrote:
they require a gift gesture prior to offering a response. typically, either a dumpster or above-ground-swimming pool full of cash, with ed's favorite thing of the moment painted on the side

So a huge NASCAR logo? Very apropos for North Carolina.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 9435 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 463, 464, 465, 466, 467, 468, 469 ... 472  Next

Board index » Word on the Street » News & Debate