The board's server will undergo upgrade maintenance tonight, Nov 5, 2014, beginning approximately around 10 PM ET. Prepare for some possible down time during this process.
FAQ    Search

Board index » Word on the Street » News & Debate

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 9435 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 472  Next
 Post subject: Re: Election 2016
PostPosted: Tue December 16, 2014 8:47 pm 
Poster of the Year

I dabbled in the non voting stance for a while, and frankly, I was being a fucking moron.

PostPosted: Tue December 16, 2014 9:11 pm 
10Club Complaint Department

I'm relatively centre-right/somewhat conservative but I have no idea who I'd vote for if I lived in the States. Though I agree that not voting is a petulant and hollow gesture, I can certainly understand the temptation to think "fuck everybody!"

PostPosted: Tue December 16, 2014 9:14 pm 
Poster of the Year

It's cutting off your nose to spite your face.

Sure the game is rigged, but that doesn't mean one choice isn't better than the other.

Also, people who don't show up to the polls are also sitting out their state and local elections, including ballot measures. Those are really fucking important and directly effect your day to day life.

The system is fucked, most politicians are crooked, and barely any of them actually give a fuck about you. That's all true, but it's still too important not to participate.

PostPosted: Tue December 16, 2014 9:29 pm 
Rank This Poster

Oh I vote. I lose most of them, except beer glorious Sunday beer. I won that shit.

I remain 2 to 3% of the electorate

PostPosted: Tue December 16, 2014 10:10 pm 
The Master

Electromatic wrote:
Oh I vote. I lose most of them, except beer glorious Sunday beer. I won that shit.

What's up with the inexplicable rise of incomprehensibility on RM lately?

PostPosted: Tue December 16, 2014 10:19 pm 

LoathedVermin72 wrote:
Electromatic wrote:

I didn't follow either but I presumed it was perhaps an "American thing".

PostPosted: Tue December 16, 2014 10:20 pm 
The Master

Birds in Hell wrote:
LoathedVermin72 wrote:
Electromatic wrote:

I'm American and that was definitely nonsense.

PostPosted: Tue December 16, 2014 10:20 pm 
Misplaced My Sponge

Birds in Hell wrote:
I'm relatively centre-right/somewhat conservative but I have no idea who I'd vote for if I lived in the States. Though I agree that not voting is a petulant and hollow gesture, I can certainly understand the temptation to think "fuck everybody!"

you should vote for the party that is the most pro-science, in hopes that they can cure your... condition.

PostPosted: Tue December 16, 2014 10:28 pm 
NEVER STOP JAMMING!

LoathedVermin72 wrote:
Birds in Hell wrote:
LoathedVermin72 wrote:
Electromatic wrote:

I'm American and that was definitely nonsense.

us beer drinkers know what he's saying

PostPosted: Tue December 16, 2014 10:31 pm 

Alex wrote:
Birds in Hell wrote:

you should vote for the party that is the most pro-science, in hopes that they can cure your... condition.

Fingers crossed.

PostPosted: Tue December 16, 2014 10:39 pm 
Misplaced My Sponge

Birds in Hell wrote:
Alex wrote:
Birds in Hell wrote:

Fingers crossed.

we're rooting for you, buddy

PostPosted: Tue December 16, 2014 10:52 pm 

Alex wrote:
Birds in Hell wrote:
Alex wrote:
Birds in Hell wrote:

Fingers crossed.

we're rooting for you, buddy

Uh

PostPosted: Wed December 17, 2014 1:16 am 
An enigma of a man shaped hole in the wall between reality and the soul of the devil.

Voting for president in a country of three hundred million people, particularly in a solid blue or red state, is an act of purely ego driven delusion, and is the perfect example of a complete waste of time. frankly, there are several million things I could do instead to improve my lot in life more effectively than voting in a national election. I mean, if I happen to stumble into a voting place on election day and I'm somehow properly registered to vote in the area (which is doubtful considering how often I move), I'll do it, but with the knowledge that it does not matter.

This does not apply for local elections, though you absolutely shouldn't vote in those either if you aren't aware of local issues or candidates. Contrary to popular belief, the ignorant should stay the fuck home instead of voting.

Down with democracy!

“And truly, if life had no purpose, and I had to choose nonsense, this would be the most desirable nonsense for me as well."

PostPosted: Wed December 17, 2014 5:50 am 
Gone

I live in Illinois. The presidential election goes blue every single time and this will never ever change, the outcome will always be the same.

Spoiler: show
I've never voted in a presidential election but I did bus tables once at an Obama fundraiser when I was in college.

PostPosted: Wed December 17, 2014 11:10 am 
The Beef

In South Africa, voting against the ANC is a fool's errand, but I still get that shit done. In our case, it's the slow crawl to a tipping point and a sea change and seems futile right now. At least in the States, the two parties are often closely matched.

PostPosted: Wed December 17, 2014 1:50 pm 
Misplaced My Sponge

BurtReynolds wrote:
Voting for president in a country of three hundred million people, particularly in a solid blue or red state, is an act of purely ego driven delusion, and is the perfect example of a complete waste of time. frankly, there are several million things I could do instead to improve my lot in life more effectively than voting in a national election. I mean, if I happen to stumble into a voting place on election day and I'm somehow properly registered to vote in the area (which is doubtful considering how often I move), I'll do it, but with the knowledge that it does not matter.

This does not apply for local elections, though you absolutely shouldn't vote in those either if you aren't aware of local issues or candidates. Contrary to popular belief, the ignorant should stay the fuck home instead of voting.

Down with democracy!

is "complete rough sketch of goblin horde" one of those several million things?

PostPosted: Wed December 17, 2014 1:59 pm 
An enigma of a man shaped hole in the wall between reality and the soul of the devil.

Alex wrote:
BurtReynolds wrote:

Down with democracy!

Are you asking me on a date to the newest Hobbit flick? If so, the answer is and will always be "yes."

“And truly, if life had no purpose, and I had to choose nonsense, this would be the most desirable nonsense for me as well."

PostPosted: Wed December 17, 2014 2:36 pm 
Misplaced My Sponge

BurtReynolds wrote:
Alex wrote:
BurtReynolds wrote:

Down with democracy!

Are you asking me on a date to the newest Hobbit flick? If so, the answer is and will always be "yes."

i would only do this if you commit to criticizing the orc/goblin aesthetics during the movie, in a breathy whisper

PostPosted: Wed December 17, 2014 2:43 pm 

Alex wrote:
BurtReynolds wrote:
Alex wrote:
BurtReynolds wrote:

Down with democracy!

i would only do this if you commit to criticizing the orc/goblin aesthetics during the movie, in a breathy whisper

i can and i will.

PostPosted: Sat January 10, 2015 3:01 am 
Rank This Poster

Anyone but Hillary please. :cry:

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 9435 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 472  Next

Board index » Word on the Street » News & Debate