The board's server will undergo upgrade maintenance tonight, Nov 5, 2014, beginning approximately around 10 PM ET. Prepare for some possible down time during this process.
FAQ    Search

Board index » Word on the Street » News & Debate




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1787 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 76, 77, 78, 79, 80, 81, 82 ... 90  Next
Author Message
 Post subject: Re: Bill Cosby's Pudding Pop & Other Sexual Assault Stuff
PostPosted: Mon July 23, 2018 8:15 pm 
Offline
User avatar
Mind Your Tanners
 WWW  Profile

Joined: Thu April 04, 2013 6:27 am
Posts: 8280
Location: Port Perry Lodge on voluptuous Lake Perry
Also.. was he even in a position of power when he made those comments? If not, who's to say if Elvie gets famous one day he shouldn't be treated exactly the same way for the stupid jokes he made on this board? Didn't he say he ate babies or something? I agree when you're in a position of influence, when you're looked at as a role model to kids you shouldn't make such stupid jokes.. but no one should feel victimized! Especially if the guy admits they were nothing but stupid jokes and he meant nothing by it. Context/intentions are everything.

_________________
radio coming soon


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Bill Cosby's Pudding Pop & Other Sexual Assault Stuff
PostPosted: Mon July 23, 2018 8:23 pm 
Offline
User avatar
The Master
 Profile

Joined: Sun May 25, 2014 9:32 pm
Posts: 38417
I also feel like a lot of the conversation around this is erasing the fact that humor like this is often sort of a coping mechanism for people who have, in one way or another, endured terrible shit in their lives. Demonizing taboo humor is a good way to just make things even harder for “victims;” you’re taking away a resource for healing.

_________________
lennytheweedwhacker wrote:
*tickles you*


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Bill Cosby's Pudding Pop & Other Sexual Assault Stuff
PostPosted: Mon July 23, 2018 8:31 pm 
Offline
User avatar
The Master
 Profile

Joined: Tue September 24, 2013 5:56 pm
Posts: 25273
Location: Different mountains than Strat.
--- wrote:
tragabigzanda wrote:
How so? He made jokes at the expense of victims, people who are lacking power and a voice. His station in life as one of the wealthy elite makes it distasteful to me that he would joke at their expense. I don't think he should go to jail, nor should he lose his fortune. I just don't care if he never makes another superhero movie ever again. I hope those who were made to feel even more small and powerless by his humor and station feel a little emboldened by his public shaming.

Ah yes, "victims" and the offended are owed their pound of flesh, having endured a harrowing gauntlet of coarse jest.

well in the case of my example, they also endured rape and the like, so...

LoathedVermin72 wrote:
I also feel like a lot of the conversation around this is erasing the fact that humor like this is often sort of a coping mechanism for people who have, in one way or another, endured terrible shit in their lives. Demonizing taboo humor is a good way to just make things even harder for “victims;” you’re taking away a resource for healing.


I appreciate where you're coming from, and certainly embrace the healing power of humor in my own life. But victims of crime should be allowed to seek out the humor that feels good to them at their own pace, not have it show up in their public space before they are ready to laugh about their suffering.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Bill Cosby's Pudding Pop & Other Sexual Assault Stuff
PostPosted: Mon July 23, 2018 8:32 pm 
Offline
User avatar
The Master
 Profile

Joined: Sun May 25, 2014 9:32 pm
Posts: 38417
tragabigzanda wrote:
--- wrote:
tragabigzanda wrote:
How so? He made jokes at the expense of victims, people who are lacking power and a voice. His station in life as one of the wealthy elite makes it distasteful to me that he would joke at their expense. I don't think he should go to jail, nor should he lose his fortune. I just don't care if he never makes another superhero movie ever again. I hope those who were made to feel even more small and powerless by his humor and station feel a little emboldened by his public shaming.

Ah yes, "victims" and the offended are owed their pound of flesh, having endured a harrowing gauntlet of coarse jest.

well in the case of my example, they also endured rape and the like, so...

LoathedVermin72 wrote:
I also feel like a lot of the conversation around this is erasing the fact that humor like this is often sort of a coping mechanism for people who have, in one way or another, endured terrible shit in their lives. Demonizing taboo humor is a good way to just make things even harder for “victims;” you’re taking away a resource for healing.


I appreciate where you're coming from, and certainly embrace the healing power of humor in my own life. But victims of crime should be allowed to seek out the humor that feels good to them at their own pace, not have it show up in their public space before they are ready to laugh about their suffering.

This is completely absurd. How on earth could you enforce something like this?

_________________
lennytheweedwhacker wrote:
*tickles you*


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Bill Cosby's Pudding Pop & Other Sexual Assault Stuff
PostPosted: Mon July 23, 2018 8:33 pm 
Offline
User avatar
Mind Your Tanners
 WWW  Profile

Joined: Thu April 04, 2013 6:27 am
Posts: 8280
Location: Port Perry Lodge on voluptuous Lake Perry
I'm just generally confounded by all this shit... do people actually believe he's evil? Do they believe he thinks raping boys is good? Do they believe Roseanne is actually racist? If she were racist, wouldn't she say she is and not apologize for the joke or say she didn't think the woman is black?! She would say she hates black people! Do they really think she would make a stupid joke like that and expect to get away with it?! Taking back comments, apologizing, saying it was a mistake should be enough! Standing by it and doubling down would make for a different scenario. "Oh? You think raping boys is OK? No more directing movies for you. You are poorly representing our company." That would make sense. But no, he said those were stupid comments and he doesn't stand by them... move on.

_________________
radio coming soon


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Bill Cosby's Pudding Pop & Other Sexual Assault Stuff
PostPosted: Mon July 23, 2018 8:40 pm 
Offline
User avatar
The Master
 Profile

Joined: Tue September 24, 2013 5:56 pm
Posts: 25273
Location: Different mountains than Strat.
LoathedVermin72 wrote:
tragabigzanda wrote:
--- wrote:
tragabigzanda wrote:
How so? He made jokes at the expense of victims, people who are lacking power and a voice. His station in life as one of the wealthy elite makes it distasteful to me that he would joke at their expense. I don't think he should go to jail, nor should he lose his fortune. I just don't care if he never makes another superhero movie ever again. I hope those who were made to feel even more small and powerless by his humor and station feel a little emboldened by his public shaming.

Ah yes, "victims" and the offended are owed their pound of flesh, having endured a harrowing gauntlet of coarse jest.

well in the case of my example, they also endured rape and the like, so...

LoathedVermin72 wrote:
I also feel like a lot of the conversation around this is erasing the fact that humor like this is often sort of a coping mechanism for people who have, in one way or another, endured terrible shit in their lives. Demonizing taboo humor is a good way to just make things even harder for “victims;” you’re taking away a resource for healing.


I appreciate where you're coming from, and certainly embrace the healing power of humor in my own life. But victims of crime should be allowed to seek out the humor that feels good to them at their own pace, not have it show up in their public space before they are ready to laugh about their suffering.

This is completely absurd. How on earth could you enforce something like this?

It's not about enforcement at all. There are no "rules" here; we live in a country of free speech. This entire debate exists on a spectrum of behavior ethics, which are far more murky, and my main argument is: Don't make fun of victims of sexual violence in public unless you want some blowback.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Bill Cosby's Pudding Pop & Other Sexual Assault Stuff
PostPosted: Mon July 23, 2018 8:42 pm 
Offline
User avatar
The Master
 Profile

Joined: Sun May 25, 2014 9:32 pm
Posts: 38417
I don’t think he was making fun of victims, though.

_________________
lennytheweedwhacker wrote:
*tickles you*


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Bill Cosby's Pudding Pop & Other Sexual Assault Stuff
PostPosted: Mon July 23, 2018 8:44 pm 
Offline
User avatar
The Master
 Profile

Joined: Tue September 24, 2013 5:56 pm
Posts: 25273
Location: Different mountains than Strat.
weren't all his jokes about raping people?


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Bill Cosby's Pudding Pop & Other Sexual Assault Stuff
PostPosted: Mon July 23, 2018 8:44 pm 
Offline
User avatar
"You kids quit having fun with the word filter!"
 Profile

Joined: Tue January 01, 2013 3:35 pm
Posts: 33482
Location: Buenos Aires
tree_ wrote:
I'm just generally confounded by all this shit... do people actually believe he's evil? Do they believe he thinks raping boys is good? Do they believe Roseanne is actually racist? If she were racist, wouldn't she say she is and not apologize for the joke or say she didn't think the woman is black?! She would say she hates black people! Do they really think she would make a stupid joke like that and expect to get away with it?! Taking back comments, apologizing, saying it was a mistake should be enough! Standing by it and doubling down would make for a different scenario. "Oh? You think raping boys is OK? No more directing movies for you. You are poorly representing our company." That would make sense. But no, he said those were stupid comments and he doesn't stand by them... move on.

The sheer velocity with which this post went from perfectly reasonable to profoundly idiotic gave me whiplash


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Bill Cosby's Pudding Pop & Other Sexual Assault Stuff
PostPosted: Mon July 23, 2018 8:44 pm 
Offline
User avatar
The Master
 Profile

Joined: Tue September 24, 2013 5:56 pm
Posts: 25273
Location: Different mountains than Strat.
ugh i don't even care enough any more to look it up. i hope they give james gunn the key to Los Angeles as well as his own harem of underage sex objects.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Bill Cosby's Pudding Pop & Other Sexual Assault Stuff
PostPosted: Mon July 23, 2018 8:46 pm 
Offline
User avatar
The Master
 Profile

Joined: Tue September 24, 2013 5:56 pm
Posts: 25273
Location: Different mountains than Strat.
WHOA WHOA WHOA

tree_ wrote:
Standing by it and doubling down would make for a different scenario. "Oh? You think raping boys is OK? No more directing movies for you. You are poorly representing our company." That would make sense.


This from the guy who doubled down HARD on his "retard" comments!


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Bill Cosby's Pudding Pop & Other Sexual Assault Stuff
PostPosted: Mon July 23, 2018 8:46 pm 
Offline
User avatar
An enigma of a man shaped hole in the wall between reality and the soul of the devil.
 Profile

Joined: Tue January 01, 2013 5:13 pm
Posts: 34918
Location: Donkeys live a long time.
How much do I have to pay an admin to delete all my posts?

_________________
Death is coming. Eat trash. Be free.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Bill Cosby's Pudding Pop & Other Sexual Assault Stuff
PostPosted: Mon July 23, 2018 8:46 pm 
Offline
User avatar
Mind Your Tanners
 WWW  Profile

Joined: Thu April 04, 2013 6:27 am
Posts: 8280
Location: Port Perry Lodge on voluptuous Lake Perry
theplatypus wrote:
tree_ wrote:
I'm just generally confounded by all this shit... do people actually believe he's evil? Do they believe he thinks raping boys is good? Do they believe Roseanne is actually racist? If she were racist, wouldn't she say she is and not apologize for the joke or say she didn't think the woman is black?! She would say she hates black people! Do they really think she would make a stupid joke like that and expect to get away with it?! Taking back comments, apologizing, saying it was a mistake should be enough! Standing by it and doubling down would make for a different scenario. "Oh? You think raping boys is OK? No more directing movies for you. You are poorly representing our company." That would make sense. But no, he said those were stupid comments and he doesn't stand by them... move on.

The sheer velocity with which this post went from perfectly reasonable to profoundly idiotic gave me whiplash
Tell me what's idiotic about it, please.

_________________
radio coming soon


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Bill Cosby's Pudding Pop & Other Sexual Assault Stuff
PostPosted: Mon July 23, 2018 8:46 pm 
Offline
User avatar
"You kids quit having fun with the word filter!"
 Profile

Joined: Tue January 01, 2013 3:35 pm
Posts: 33482
Location: Buenos Aires
tragabigzanda wrote:
weren't all his jokes about raping people?

I think what LV is implying is that a joke that involves rape is not necessarily a joke that makes fun of rape victims


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Bill Cosby's Pudding Pop & Other Sexual Assault Stuff
PostPosted: Mon July 23, 2018 8:49 pm 
Offline
User avatar
The Master
 Profile

Joined: Sun May 25, 2014 9:32 pm
Posts: 38417
theplatypus wrote:
tragabigzanda wrote:
weren't all his jokes about raping people?

I think what LV is implying is that a joke that involves rape is not necessarily a joke that makes fun of rape victims

Correct

_________________
lennytheweedwhacker wrote:
*tickles you*


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Bill Cosby's Pudding Pop & Other Sexual Assault Stuff
PostPosted: Mon July 23, 2018 8:49 pm 
Offline
User avatar
Mind Your Tanners
 WWW  Profile

Joined: Thu April 04, 2013 6:27 am
Posts: 8280
Location: Port Perry Lodge on voluptuous Lake Perry
tragabigzanda wrote:
WHOA WHOA WHOA

tree_ wrote:
Standing by it and doubling down would make for a different scenario. "Oh? You think raping boys is OK? No more directing movies for you. You are poorly representing our company." That would make sense.


This from the guy who doubled down HARD on his "retard" comments!
Actually, what I said was I didn't mean it the way you thought. If I had said the word 'stupid' in its place, you wouldn't have given me a hard time. The 'r' word snuck up on me, it became taboo when I wasn't paying attention. Context matters. I don't think it's okay to make fun of people with mental handicaps. I said this. I'm sure he didn't mean to make fun of or belittle boys who have been raped. Benefit of the doubt, please.

_________________
radio coming soon


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Bill Cosby's Pudding Pop & Other Sexual Assault Stuff
PostPosted: Mon July 23, 2018 8:51 pm 
Offline
User avatar
An enigma of a man shaped hole in the wall between reality and the soul of the devil.
 Profile

Joined: Tue January 01, 2013 5:13 pm
Posts: 34918
Location: Donkeys live a long time.
There are a lot of lessons to be learned here.

_________________
Death is coming. Eat trash. Be free.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Bill Cosby's Pudding Pop & Other Sexual Assault Stuff
PostPosted: Mon July 23, 2018 8:51 pm 
Offline
User avatar
The Master
 Profile

Joined: Tue September 24, 2013 5:56 pm
Posts: 25273
Location: Different mountains than Strat.
BurtReynolds wrote:
How much do I have to pay an admin to delete all my posts?

i tried this when i left this past winter, they wouldn't have it


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Bill Cosby's Pudding Pop & Other Sexual Assault Stuff
PostPosted: Mon July 23, 2018 8:52 pm 
Offline
User avatar
An enigma of a man shaped hole in the wall between reality and the soul of the devil.
 Profile

Joined: Tue January 01, 2013 5:13 pm
Posts: 34918
Location: Donkeys live a long time.
tragabigzanda wrote:
BurtReynolds wrote:
How much do I have to pay an admin to delete all my posts?

i tried this when i left this past winter, they wouldn't have it

It's like they want to destroy our lives

_________________
Death is coming. Eat trash. Be free.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Bill Cosby's Pudding Pop & Other Sexual Assault Stuff
PostPosted: Mon July 23, 2018 8:56 pm 
Offline
User avatar
The Master
 Profile

Joined: Tue September 24, 2013 5:56 pm
Posts: 25273
Location: Different mountains than Strat.
BurtReynolds wrote:
tragabigzanda wrote:
BurtReynolds wrote:
How much do I have to pay an admin to delete all my posts?

i tried this when i left this past winter, they wouldn't have it

It's like they want to destroy our lives

i mostly blame Mike Cernovich


Top
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1787 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 76, 77, 78, 79, 80, 81, 82 ... 90  Next

Board index » Word on the Street » News & Debate


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 4 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
It is currently Sun December 16, 2018 10:45 am