The board's server will undergo upgrade maintenance tonight, Nov 5, 2014, beginning approximately around 10 PM ET. Prepare for some possible down time during this process.
FAQ    Search

Board index » Word on the Street » News & Debate

Post subject: Re: Shots fired, eh?
PostPosted: Mon October 27, 2014 1:13 am 
Poster of the Year

doone wrote:
mastaflatch wrote:
doone wrote:
simple schoolboy wrote:
mastaflatch wrote:
simple schoolboy wrote:
We're both the shooter and the driver in the other incident Qubecers? Maybe it's not Harper so much but that darned Anglo cultural hegemony.

Apparently the Ottawa guy once lived in Montreal - the driver was def a quebecer but both had become ISIS afficionados so I'm quite sure it had nothing to do with the french/anglo thing.

It must be remembered that a bit more than a year ago, some dude tried to shoot the then-newly-elected Quebec prime minister (the Parti Quebecois leader Pauline Marois, who was, incidentally, the first woman to hold this position here) but ended up killing a sound tech instead. His agenda was pretty clear - he was against francophones. Of course, that was not handled as a terrorism act. Federalist news outlets prefered to called the shooter "a troubled lover of the great Canada".

Harper did change Canada's role in world affairs, turning the traditionnally humanitarian role of the army into a completely biaised and belligerent organization. I don't mean to justify this week attacks but to see this as a surprise is pretty fucking naive.

Pointing to an insane shooter to support policy changes is a failing strategy. The attempted shooter of the Quebec Prime Minister claimed that Jesus told him to do so. I'd love a follow up article, fuck, I'd love to be wrong, but I'd wager he's just nuts. And damn it, scrolling through more than three Google pages makes it obscure in my book.

I'm not sure what is being argued here but Quebec doesn't have it's own Prime Minister, it has a Premier, like all the other provinces. I have not heard if they've discovered a motive for the Ottawa guy other than psychological.

In french, they're called prime ministers. as in provincial prime ministers.

Really? huh. So what do they call the actual Prime Minister?

Andy

PostPosted: Mon October 27, 2014 1:30 am 
AnalLog

It's the prime minister of Canada. The current one is often called Playmobil though.

PostPosted: Mon October 27, 2014 4:08 am 
Mind Your Tanners

doone wrote:
mastaflatch wrote:
doone wrote:
simple schoolboy wrote:
mastaflatch wrote:
simple schoolboy wrote:
We're both the shooter and the driver in the other incident Qubecers? Maybe it's not Harper so much but that darned Anglo cultural hegemony.

Apparently the Ottawa guy once lived in Montreal - the driver was def a quebecer but both had become ISIS afficionados so I'm quite sure it had nothing to do with the french/anglo thing.

It must be remembered that a bit more than a year ago, some dude tried to shoot the then-newly-elected Quebec prime minister (the Parti Quebecois leader Pauline Marois, who was, incidentally, the first woman to hold this position here) but ended up killing a sound tech instead. His agenda was pretty clear - he was against francophones. Of course, that was not handled as a terrorism act. Federalist news outlets prefered to called the shooter "a troubled lover of the great Canada".

Harper did change Canada's role in world affairs, turning the traditionnally humanitarian role of the army into a completely biaised and belligerent organization. I don't mean to justify this week attacks but to see this as a surprise is pretty fucking naive.

Pointing to an insane shooter to support policy changes is a failing strategy. The attempted shooter of the Quebec Prime Minister claimed that Jesus told him to do so. I'd love a follow up article, fuck, I'd love to be wrong, but I'd wager he's just nuts. And damn it, scrolling through more than three Google pages makes it obscure in my book.

I'm not sure what is being argued here but Quebec doesn't have it's own Prime Minister, it has a Premier, like all the other provinces. I have not heard if they've discovered a motive for the Ottawa guy other than psychological.

The Prime Minister. Provincial leaders are called Premiers.

PostPosted: Mon October 27, 2014 2:12 pm 
Future Drummer

Stickman wrote:
doone wrote:
mastaflatch wrote:
doone wrote:
simple schoolboy wrote:
mastaflatch wrote:
simple schoolboy wrote:

:lol: that's exactly what I said three quotes ago. According to mastaflatch though, the Quebecois also call their Premier the Prime Minister of Quebec so I wondered if their was any distinction made.

but to get back on topic, here's CBC's latest info
http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/topic/Tag/Ottawa%20Parliament%20shooting

PostPosted: Mon October 27, 2014 2:44 pm 
Rank This Poster

Stickman wrote:
doone wrote:
mastaflatch wrote:
doone wrote:
simple schoolboy wrote:
mastaflatch wrote:
simple schoolboy wrote:

The leader of Quebec is called le Premier Ministre du Québec. The literal translation is the Prime Minister of Quebec.

PostPosted: Mon October 27, 2014 5:30 pm 
Future Drummer

"turning the traditionnally humanitarian role of the army"

Canada's military does not have a traditional humanitarian role. Canada fought WWI. Canada fought WWII. Canada was in the Karean War. The "humanitarian role" as Canada's military's prime directive is a myth that relies on people being poorly educated or revisionism of Canada's military history. Canada does have a strong tradition of taking on peacekeeper role when that is required. Canada also has a stronger tradition of its military fighting in wars where required.

PostPosted: Mon October 27, 2014 5:34 pm 
Poster of the Year

philpritchard wrote:
Stickman wrote:
doone wrote:
mastaflatch wrote:
doone wrote:
simple schoolboy wrote:
mastaflatch wrote:
simple schoolboy wrote:

The leader of Quebec is called le Premier Ministre du Québec. The literal translation is the Prime Minister of Quebec.

Interesting. So what do they call the actual Prime Minister?

PostPosted: Mon October 27, 2014 6:02 pm 
AnalLog

surfndestroy wrote:
"turning the traditionnally humanitarian role of the army"

Canada's military does not have a traditional humanitarian role. Canada fought WWI. Canada fought WWII. Canada was in the Karean War. The "humanitarian role" as Canada's military's prime directive is a myth that relies on people being poorly educated or revisionism of Canada's military history. Canada does have a strong tradition of taking on peacekeeper role when that is required. Canada also has a stronger tradition of its military fighting in wars where required.

and we're all lumberjacks living in log cabins, killing indians and shit.

seriously, when does a stupid tradition can be put to rest? by traditionnally, i meant since a good enough while. the Blue Helmets in which Canada has long been involved made a far greater and positive difference in the world than the proper army, I don't know how you could state otherwise, even if I acknowledge that the Afghan mission was laudable, the approach was not right. also, apparently, veterans aren't handled like they deserve - for that alone, I think that Harper's belligenrent attitude to be a lose/lose situation. that soldier killed in front of the cenotaph just shows the utter hypocrisy of this governement towards the military - it's the tree that hides the forest.

PostPosted: Mon October 27, 2014 8:18 pm 
Rank This Poster

cutuphalfdead wrote:
philpritchard wrote:
Stickman wrote:
doone wrote:
mastaflatch wrote:
doone wrote:
simple schoolboy wrote:
mastaflatch wrote:
simple schoolboy wrote:

Interesting. So what do they call the actual Prime Minister?

Le Premier Ministre du Canada

PostPosted: Mon October 27, 2014 8:59 pm 
Guys, I am not a moderator! I swear to God! Why does everyone think I'm a moderator?

We get lots of Canadians that come to Myrtle Beach. French Canadians are the worst.

PostPosted: Mon October 27, 2014 9:22 pm 
AnalLog

Eh? Ruddock

PostPosted: Mon October 27, 2014 9:41 pm 
Polluted

Does Je me souviens translate to I'm hairy and wear a speedo?

PostPosted: Tue October 28, 2014 1:39 pm 
Rank This Poster

Self wrote:

You know French?

PostPosted: Tue October 28, 2014 4:06 pm 
AnalLog

philpritchard wrote:
Self wrote:

You know French Liberty?

Board index » Word on the Street » News & Debate