The board's server will undergo upgrade maintenance tonight, Nov 5, 2014, beginning approximately around 10 PM ET. Prepare for some possible down time during this process.
FAQ    Search

Board index » Word on the Street » News & Debate

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 178 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 9  Next
 Post subject: Re: Contagion: A thread about epidemic diseases
PostPosted: Fri August 08, 2014 9:07 am 
An enigma of a man shaped hole in the wall between reality and the soul of the devil.

Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetur adipiscing elit, sed do eiusmod tempor incididunt ut labore et dolore magna aliqua. Ut enim ad minim veniam, quis nostrud exercitation ullamco laboris nisi ut aliquip ex ea commodo consequat. Duis aute irure dolor in reprehenderit in voluptate velit esse cillum dolore eu fugiat nulla pariatur. Excepteur sint occaecat cupidatat non proident, sunt in culpa qui officia deserunt mollit anim id est laborum.

“And truly, if life had no purpose, and I had to choose nonsense, this would be the most desirable nonsense for me as well."

Last edited by BurtReynolds on Tue March 07, 2023 3:13 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri August 08, 2014 1:44 pm 
Misplaced My Sponge

THE GOVERNMENT

PostPosted: Fri August 08, 2014 2:05 pm 
Mind Your Tanners

Alex wrote:
THE GOVERNMENT

PostPosted: Fri August 08, 2014 2:12 pm 
Misplaced My Sponge

lol

PostPosted: Fri August 08, 2014 2:39 pm 
Mind Your Tanners

Alex wrote:
lol

I guess Rush is saying similar things on the radio.

Interesting that the story at the top of this page is in the NYPost.

PostPosted: Fri August 08, 2014 3:03 pm 
NEVER STOP JAMMING!

BurtReynolds wrote:
http://nypost.com/2014/08/05/why-ebolas-nothing-to-worry-about/

Quote:
Michael Fumento is a lawyer and journalist who specializes in mass hysteria.

Amusing. But this is one of the things that amazes me about the last 25 years of news production.

As the world's professions become increasingly niched and nuanced, news becomes more and more valuable as a service that could be used to connect the general public to key insights and ideas owned by the professionals most knowledgable about any topic or situation.

Instead, we have increasingly reached a point where there are two conversations going on at any time...the delicate discussion being had by experts and the experienced, which is rarely more than a blip on the larger public's radar...and the highly opined debates by people who must have it all figured out, because they are opinion journalists. Most of the top selling books on the subject of education reform are by journalists or "think tank" representatives, neither with any background in cognitive psychology, curriculum, or pedagogy. The most trending articles about any given news event tend to be opinion articles by people whose opinion should literally mean nothing at all.

To be honest, I'm honestly not even really clear as to why people read that stuff.

PostPosted: Fri August 08, 2014 3:18 pm 
Mind Your Tanners

McParadigm wrote:
BurtReynolds wrote:
http://nypost.com/2014/08/05/why-ebolas-nothing-to-worry-about/

Quote:
Michael Fumento is a lawyer and journalist who specializes in mass hysteria.

Amusing. But this is one of the things that amazes me about the last 25 years of news production.

As the world's professions become increasingly niched and nuanced, news becomes more and more valuable as a service that could be used to connect the general public to key insights and ideas owned by the professionals most knowledgable about any topic or situation.

Instead, we have increasingly reached a point where there are two conversations going on at any time...the delicate discussion being had by experts and the experienced, which is rarely more than a blip on the larger public's radar...and the highly opined debates by people who must have it all figured out, because they are opinion journalists. Most of the top selling books on the subject of education reform are by journalists or "think tank" representatives, neither with any background in cognitive psychology, curriculum, or pedagogy. The most trending articles about any given news event tend to be opinion articles by people whose opinion should literally mean nothing at all.

To be honest, I'm honestly not even really clear as to why people read that stuff.

I'm not disagreeing with you, but this seems to concur with everything the mass hysteria expert has to say in his article:

Quote:
On the latest episode of the Inquiring Minds podcast, Kent State University epidemiologist and Ebola expert Tara Smith explained why the current Ebola freakout is overblown, at least as it relates to the possibility of an outbreak in the US. "When I think about diseases that are deadly, that are highly contagious, Ebola is way down the list, and influenza and measles are much, much higher," Smith explained.

PostPosted: Fri August 08, 2014 3:35 pm 
NEVER STOP JAMMING!

I wasn't actually disagreeing with the sentiment. Just noting a larger picture that the article fits into.

Please feel free to continue with

PostPosted: Fri August 08, 2014 4:38 pm 
Mind Your Tanners

Image wrote:
I wasn't actually disagreeing with the sentiment. Just noting a larger picture that the article fits into.

it doesn't necessarily read like agreement, but the fact that you have found yet another moment in your day that is actively appreciative of my smile makes me even more smitten with your glower.

PostPosted: Fri August 08, 2014 6:20 pm 
Guys, I am not a moderator! I swear to God! Why does everyone think I'm a moderator?

PostPosted: Mon August 18, 2014 8:15 am 
An enigma of a man shaped hole in the wall between reality and the soul of the devil.

Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetur adipiscing elit, sed do eiusmod tempor incididunt ut labore et dolore magna aliqua. Ut enim ad minim veniam, quis nostrud exercitation ullamco laboris nisi ut aliquip ex ea commodo consequat. Duis aute irure dolor in reprehenderit in voluptate velit esse cillum dolore eu fugiat nulla pariatur. Excepteur sint occaecat cupidatat non proident, sunt in culpa qui officia deserunt mollit anim id est laborum.

“And truly, if life had no purpose, and I had to choose nonsense, this would be the most desirable nonsense for me as well."

Last edited by BurtReynolds on Tue March 07, 2023 3:13 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon August 18, 2014 8:17 am 

PostPosted: Mon August 18, 2014 4:04 pm 
AnalLog

BurtReynolds wrote:
Never mind. im back in. everything's cool now.

http://claytontraylor.com/millionaire-p ... rra-leone/

Millionaire Prophet TB Joshua Sent 4,000 Bottles of Powerful Holy Water and Money to Cure Ebola in Sierra Leone

Dude is from Nigeria and has that kind of money? :? I'm obviously in the wrong profession...

PostPosted: Mon August 18, 2014 4:20 pm 
Misplaced My Sponge

Chloe wrote:
BurtReynolds wrote:
Never mind. im back in. everything's cool now.

http://claytontraylor.com/millionaire-p ... rra-leone/

Millionaire Prophet TB Joshua Sent 4,000 Bottles of Powerful Holy Water and Money to Cure Ebola in Sierra Leone

Dude is from Nigeria and has that kind of money? :? I'm obviously in the wrong profession...

hes obviously sent you an email offering you an amazing opportunity and you just deleted it cause you figured it was spam....

PostPosted: Wed September 10, 2014 11:27 pm 
Mind Your Tanners

Well Aus is potentially fucked.
http://www.stuff.co.nz/world/australia/61177585/Suspected-Ebola-patient-on-Gold-Coast-reports

PostPosted: Tue September 23, 2014 2:53 pm 
NEVER STOP JAMMING!

Washington Post commenter wrote:
Good grief. Had they only let Africa remain colonized, this whole thing would be under control.

PostPosted: Wed October 01, 2014 6:41 pm 
Guys, I am not a moderator! I swear to God! Why does everyone think I'm a moderator?

We should be getting worried...

PostPosted: Wed October 01, 2014 6:54 pm 
Poster of the Year

No we shouldn't.

PostPosted: Wed October 01, 2014 7:41 pm 
Mind Your Tanners

cutuphalfdead wrote:
No we shouldn't.

Not so fast there....
http://www.stuff.co.nz/world/americas/61629930/us-experts-hunt-for-ebola-exposure-after-first-patient-diagnosed.html

PostPosted: Wed October 01, 2014 7:44 pm 
Poster of the Year

Yeah, I know.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 178 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 9  Next

Board index » Word on the Street » News & Debate