Switch to full style
Engage in discussions about news, politics, etc.
Post a reply

Contagion: A thread about epidemic diseases

Tue July 29, 2014 5:30 pm

This Ebola outbreak is getting a little scary.

Re: Contagion: A thread about epidemic diseases

Tue July 29, 2014 6:02 pm

What about pandemics?

Tue July 29, 2014 6:05 pm

Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetur adipiscing elit, sed do eiusmod tempor incididunt ut labore et dolore magna aliqua. Ut enim ad minim veniam, quis nostrud exercitation ullamco laboris nisi ut aliquip ex ea commodo consequat. Duis aute irure dolor in reprehenderit in voluptate velit esse cillum dolore eu fugiat nulla pariatur. Excepteur sint occaecat cupidatat non proident, sunt in culpa qui officia deserunt mollit anim id est laborum.
Last edited by BurtReynolds on Tue March 07, 2023 3:13 am, edited 1 time in total.

Tue July 29, 2014 6:16 pm

omg beards

Tue July 29, 2014 6:56 pm

cutuphalfdead wrote:What about pandemics?

I hate that word. Wasn't used regularly until recently when the media bombarded us with it.

Tue July 29, 2014 6:56 pm

theplatypus wrote:omg beards

I actually laughed.

Tue July 29, 2014 9:22 pm

So this WAS worthy of a thread? my judgement is terrible.

Tue July 29, 2014 10:51 pm

theplatypus wrote:omg beards

8-)

Tue July 29, 2014 11:17 pm

@SkitchP wrote:So this WAS worthy of a thread? my judgement is terrible.

I think so. This thing is spreading like crazy. I swear to God if i contract Ebola I'm going to be pissed off.

Tue July 29, 2014 11:21 pm

E.H. Ruddock wrote:
@SkitchP wrote:So this WAS worthy of a thread? my judgement is terrible.

I think so. This thing is spreading like crazy. I swear to God if i contract Ebola I'm going to be pissed off.

I think Pliny staves off ebola

Tue July 29, 2014 11:31 pm

They should make a movie about this

Wed July 30, 2014 4:55 am

OK I don't want to downplay this thing too much, much of the news media are in the process of their usual scare mongering tactics for the sake of a good news story (i.e. overblown bullshit).

Facts about Ebola from http://www.who.int/mediacentre/factsheets/fs103/en/:

Ebola then spreads in the community through human-to-human transmission, with infection resulting from direct contact (through broken skin or mucous membranes) with the blood, secretions, organs or other bodily fluids of infected people, and indirect contact with environments contaminated with such fluids.

Health-care workers have frequently been infected while treating patients with suspected or confirmed EVD. This has occurred through close contact with patients when infection control precautions are not strictly practiced.

---------------

From: http://www.vox.com/2014/7/29/5945515/eb ... in/5712456

Why is this particular outbreak so deadly?

There are also social and political factors contributing to the current disaster. Because this is the first major Ebola outbreak in West Africa, many of the region's health workers didn't have experience or training in how to protect themselves or care for patients with this disease.

How hard is it to catch Ebola?

Ebola is relatively hard to catch compared to some other viruses like measles, SARS, or the flu. It's not spreadable through the air, so someone won't get it from someone else coughing or sneezing.

In order to contract Ebola, someone must touch the blood or bodily fluids (including sweat, urine, and semen) of a person or animal who's infected (alive or dead). People can also catch it through indirect contact with victims' fluids, such as via bedding or medical equipment.

People generally aren't infectious until they get sick.

Ebola's limited transmission ability is one of the main reasons why outbreaks can often be stopped within weeks or months. What it takes is public education and good health-care hygiene like isolating patients, sterilization procedures, and the use of gloves, masks, and other protective gear.

What are the chances of Ebola spreading to the US?

The Ebola viruses known today don't spread from person-to-person well enough to have much risk of causing a wide pandemic across several continents. The risk of Ebola coming to the US is still very low.

And if a case did appear in the USA, it "would not pose a major public health risk" Michael Osterholm, biosecurity expert and director of the Center for Infectious Disease Research and Policy at the University of Minnesota told USA Today. Why? Because it would be quickly tracked down and controlled.

-------------------

In other words, it doesn't spread like the common cold or gastro.

Ebola tends to thrive in third world countries, for obvious reasons, i.e. poor hygene, contaminated water, next to no medical facilities, etc. When they state in the media that Ebola has a fatality rate 90%, they neglect to state the correct wording from the WHO: EVD outbreaks have a case fatality rate of up to 90%. The high fatality rates are in places like Congo, where if Ebola doesn't kill you - something else will (it's a fucking cesspool).

'nuff said, you bunch of fucking pansies.

Wed July 30, 2014 5:06 am

I think the primary fear with this outbreak IS that it could wreak havoc in Africa, thanks largely to fear of medical workers and risky burial behaviors....not that it will destroy human kind.

However, there is also some risk with a virus that has a lengthy asymptomatic incubation period and can be spread through sweat.

Wed July 30, 2014 5:09 am

You're just excited about the pending destruction of humanity, right 'digm?

Wed July 30, 2014 5:15 am

Swollen with anticipation, buddy

Wed July 30, 2014 3:41 pm

mcp, write a review of the ebola virus

Thu July 31, 2014 5:03 pm

Well, if we're going to have to put up with yet another killer virus (sigh...), I'm at least glad that it doesn't have to be one more rectally focused than this one is.

Thu July 31, 2014 6:50 pm

http://www.theonion.com/articles/expert ... awa,36580/

Experts: Ebola Vaccine At Least 50 White People Away

NEWS IN BRIEF • Science & Technology • World • Health • Disease • ISSUE 50•30 • Jul 30, 2014

CONAKRY, GUINEA—With the death toll in West Africa continuing to rise amid a new outbreak of the Ebola virus, leading medical experts announced Wednesday that a vaccine for the deadly disease is still at least 50 white people from being developed. “While all measures are being taken to contain the spread of the contagion, an effective, safe, and reliable Ebola inoculation unfortunately remains roughly 50 to 60 white people away, if not more,” said Tulane University pathologist Gregory Wensmann, adding that while progress has been made over the course of the last two or three white people, a potential Ebola vaccination is still many more white people off. “We are confident, however, that with each passing white person, we’re moving closer to an eventual antigenic that will prevent and possibly even eradicate the disease.” Wensmann said he remained optimistic that the vaccine would not take considerably longer than his prediction, as waiting more than 50 white people for an effective preventative measure was something the world would simply not allow.

Fri August 01, 2014 12:08 am

:lol: It's amazing how many people think The Onion is real, just read some of the comments on their FB posts to get an idea.

Fri August 01, 2014 1:05 am

#thirdworldproblems
Post a reply