The board's server will undergo upgrade maintenance tonight, Nov 5, 2014, beginning approximately around 10 PM ET. Prepare for some possible down time during this process.
FAQ    Search

Board index » Word on the Street » News & Debate

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 85 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Post subject: Re: Another day, another British Nationalist lie
PostPosted: Fri June 13, 2014 6:37 pm 
Future Drummer

Rangi Guy wrote:
broken iris wrote:
Rangi Guy wrote:
ABNorman wrote:
Rangi Guy wrote:
ABNorman - what part of NZ are you (maybe) looking to head to?

Probably Auckland to start - I have friends there in my industry, and once I'm set up I can look around if I'm not vibing it. It's usually rated pretty highly on those "Best cities to live in" surveys, though. Most of the NZ towns seem very much my style - a bit more laidback and less concretey than somewhere like NYC or London.

Depending on what industry your in - I'd look outside of Auckland - it's grown to the point that it's pretty much like any bland city in the world, plus cost of living vs income there can be a bit out of proportion. The weather's not too bad though

I heard, and this was a few years ago, the immigration to New Zealand was pretty restricted for white people not seeking political asylum. You basically had to have $1M to invest in the economy before you could get into the queue.

Honestly - I don't think it's all that hard to get into the country. I could be wrong though

I heard it second, so I'm probably wrong. It does kinda makes sense that a country like NZ would want to put some limits on immigration to ensure their infrastructure can handle any sizable influx.

PostPosted: Sun September 07, 2014 7:29 pm 
An enigma of a man shaped hole in the wall between reality and the soul of the devil.

“And truly, if life had no purpose, and I had to choose nonsense, this would be the most desirable nonsense for me as well."

Last edited by BurtReynolds on Mon March 06, 2023 5:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sun September 07, 2014 10:17 pm 
Future Drummer

BurtReynolds wrote:
Am I the only one who thinks this could have huge repercussions on the West? Seems to me this could catch on like wildfire if this succeeds, even here in the US. I could only imagine this weakening military and diplomatic strength.

Is this about Scottish independence?

PostPosted: Sun September 07, 2014 10:19 pm 
Mind Your Tanners

PostPosted: Mon September 08, 2014 12:13 am 
Future Drummer

Rangi Guy wrote:

How would this actually work? Would a new fiat currency appear? National/personal debts and banking? What about utilities and infrastructure? What about property owned by people on the other side of the magical line? Oil revenues? EU membership? It makes more sense than Quebec leaving Canada (seriously, just move to France if it's that important) or Texas leaving the US, but... I'm trying to think of anything similar in recent history...

PostPosted: Thu September 11, 2014 4:19 am 
An enigma of a man shaped hole in the wall between reality and the soul of the devil.

“And truly, if life had no purpose, and I had to choose nonsense, this would be the most desirable nonsense for me as well."

Last edited by BurtReynolds on Mon March 06, 2023 5:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu September 11, 2014 3:19 pm 
NEVER STOP JAMMING!

yes, please

PostPosted: Thu September 11, 2014 8:35 pm 
what on earth am I talking about

If the Scots vote for independence,it not only opens up the whole northern ireland can of worms again, there's regions within england itself, looking for 'devolution'(yes thats the term, insulting as it is).
The north east and Cornwall will soon follow..

no more 'great britain' / 'united kingdom'

to think i'd live to see such days

:luv:

PostPosted: Thu September 11, 2014 8:37 pm 
Poster of the Year

I'm largely sympathetic with Irish republicanism, but a referendum like this would never pass in Northern Ireland.

PostPosted: Thu September 11, 2014 8:46 pm 

first of all, don't be, theyre gurriers, second of all, Sinn fein will probably be in government/coalition next election we have here(next year) so that referendum on a united Ireland is the bone within their teeth and yes, it will be a thing and it's 50/50 right now whether it'd pass, but we're all watching Scotland closely..

theyre about to unseat us as the only english speaking member of the EU, so we'll lose all the US/international companies using us as their base(facebook, Apple, Google, dell, down from there) as the workforce will work for half what ours get paid(wages/standard of living are far cheaper in the UK as it stands) and still be receiving 'free' EU monies cos theyre the 'new' members..

may we live in interesting times, indeed.

PostPosted: Thu September 11, 2014 11:38 pm 
Future Drummer

dimejinky99 wrote:

theyre about to unseat us as the only english speaking member of the EU, so we'll lose all the US/international companies using us as their base(facebook, Apple, Google, dell, down from there) as the workforce will work for half what ours get paid(wages/standard of living are far cheaper in the UK as it stands) and still be receiving 'free' EU monies cos theyre the 'new' members..

I hadn't thought of that, interesting.

PostPosted: Thu September 11, 2014 11:43 pm 

broken iris wrote:
dimejinky99 wrote:

what i said, said far eloquently
http://www.davidmcwilliams.ie/2014/09/1 ... t-strategy

PostPosted: Thu September 11, 2014 11:57 pm 
Future Drummer

dimejinky99 wrote:
broken iris wrote:
dimejinky99 wrote:

what i said, said far eloquently
http://www.davidmcwilliams.ie/2014/09/1 ... t-strategy

But, isn't this just ethnic separatism cloaked as nationalism? One of the commentators there states some interesting facts about Quebec, that are somewhat relevant here as detaching two economies that have been intertwined for longer than most others have existed will not be easy despite what share of the UK's dwindling natural resources Scotland may hold. It's also a rather large assumption that they can keep the Sterling if they vote to split.

PostPosted: Fri September 12, 2014 10:46 am 

They arent really talking about it, but they'll probably end up taking on the euro as their currency. The English don't seem to want them to drop the pound, yet the head of their central bank is saying a different currency, one of their own, wont work, and they'll need 150 billion to even get started.

I dont really understand why they just cant print their own money, but the brits have serious notions about ownership and the royal mint n all that

PostPosted: Fri September 12, 2014 11:04 am 

Though in all honesty, I really dont see the point in any of this, if they get their independence, the queen is still head of state?? wtf?? fuck that..Scotland got almost as hard a time of the English as we did..dump the silly old bint..

PostPosted: Fri September 12, 2014 11:06 am 

All the Scottish aristocracy are shitting themselves..higher taxes, compulsory purchase orders etc..good read
http://www.tatler.com/news/articles/sep ... f-scotland

PostPosted: Fri September 12, 2014 11:50 am 

And making it all the more interesting, Ian Paisley has died..hateful evil prick

PostPosted: Fri September 12, 2014 2:24 pm 
Site Admin

dimejinky99 wrote:
They arent really talking about it, but they'll probably end up taking on the euro as their currency. The English don't seem to want them to drop the pound, yet the head of their central bank is saying a different currency, one of their own, wont work, and they'll need 150 billion to even get started.

I dont really understand why they just cant print their own money, but the brits have serious notions about ownership and the royal mint n all that
After witnessing the clusterfuck that is the euro, Scotland would be wise to stay far away from that. Printing their own currency seems like the best path to me.

PostPosted: Fri September 12, 2014 2:52 pm 

This is brilliant. Take that BBC
http://www.rabble.ie/2014/09/12/salmond ... s-the-bbc/

PostPosted: Fri September 12, 2014 2:53 pm 

Green Habit wrote:
dimejinky99 wrote:

After witnessing the clusterfuck that is the euro, Scotland would be wise to stay far away from that. Printing their own currency seems like the best path to me.

No two ways about it, they'll join. The 'paperwork' is already done.
They need the support financially and Europe has loads to offer them

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 85 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Board index » Word on the Street » News & Debate