The board's server will undergo upgrade maintenance tonight, Nov 5, 2014, beginning approximately around 10 PM ET. Prepare for some possible down time during this process.
FAQ    Search

Board index » Word on the Street » News & Debate

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 61 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject: Re: 44th President Barack HUSSEIN Obama
PostPosted: Thu January 03, 2013 6:05 pm 
Broken Tamborine

mray10 wrote:
Stip wrote:
refresh my memory about the Barry Sorrento thing?

I get the Hussein thing. It's foreign sounding and it'll play to certain hostile nativist elements. The teleprompter jokes always seemed kinda pointless. What major political speaker won't use teleprompters?

Lincoln was a truly great speaker because he read his speeches off paper, not some dandy teleprompter!

Yeah, I've never understood that one, either.

It's not that he reads speeches off the teleprompter. It's that when he doesn't have the teleprompter he uhhh, uhhh sounds uhhh, uhhhhh like uhhhh not very uhhhh intelligent. To be honest it's kind of amazing he's a lawyer. His verbal and negotiation skills are both terrible, things most lawyers excel at.

PostPosted: Thu January 03, 2013 6:30 pm 
Future Drummer

shinkdew wrote:
mray10 wrote:
Stip wrote:

I get the Hussein thing. It's foreign sounding and it'll play to certain hostile nativist elements. The teleprompter jokes always seemed kinda pointless. What major political speaker won't use teleprompters?

Lincoln was a truly great speaker because he read his speeches off paper, not some dandy teleprompter!

It's not that he reads speeches off the teleprompter. It's that when he doesn't have the teleprompter he uhhh, uhhh sounds uhhh, uhhhhh like uhhhh not very uhhhh intelligent. To be honest it's kind of amazing he's a lawyer. His verbal and negotiation skills are both terrible, things most lawyers excel at.

To be fair, giving a speech as President of 'Merica is probably much harder than typical legal work for a Constitutional scholar.

PostPosted: Thu January 03, 2013 8:23 pm 
Looks Like a Cat

shinkdew wrote:
mray10 wrote:
Stip wrote:

Don't conflate lawyers with litigators/appellate advocates.

PostPosted: Thu January 03, 2013 9:47 pm 
The worst

shinkdew wrote:
mray10 wrote:
Stip wrote:

Given how quickly off the cuff remarks can get taken out of context and turned into little mini shit storm events I'm not surprised. I suspect this will tragically become more common. It's also probably less about his verbal skills than his improvisational skills. I was one of two people giving a toast at a wedding. The other guy is an actor. I told him that i was nervous about having to follow him since he's probably got such excellent delivery. He said that he does, but only when someone else writes the stuff for him.

Running TSIS Review

I Am No Guide - Pearl Jam Song by Song - Coming this July!
He/Him/His

PostPosted: Fri January 04, 2013 10:00 pm 
Future Drummer

Yea, it seems that gaffes matter more than policy sometimes, so I don't blame Obama for being careful without a teleprompter. And it seems to me that the teleprompter jokes often imply that he's not intelligent, which is ridiculous. It's fine if you think his ideology sucks or if you think he's doing a bad job, but he's certainly an intelligent person.

PostPosted: Fri January 04, 2013 10:10 pm 
RM Elitist

Rob wrote:
Yea, it seems that gaffes matter more than policy sometimes, so I don't blame Obama for being careful without a teleprompter. And it seems to me that the teleprompter jokes often imply that he's not intelligent, which is ridiculous. It's fine if you think his ideology sucks or if you think he's doing a bad job, but he's certainly an intelligent person.

WHO ARE YOU

PostPosted: Sat January 05, 2013 12:28 am 
likes rhythmic things that butt up against each other

He's Rob.

PostPosted: Mon January 07, 2013 11:53 pm 
likes rhythmic things that butt up against each other

Really like the Hagel nomination for Defense. Much more worth the fight than Rice would've been at State... she was a pretty generic center left foreign policy person as far as I can tell.

PostPosted: Mon April 01, 2013 10:17 pm 
A Return To Form

PostPosted: Tue April 02, 2013 12:14 am 
NEVER STOP JAMMING!

o snap

PostPosted: Tue April 02, 2013 2:22 am 
what on earth am I talking about

He signed off on a carte Blanche for Monsanto the other day.
That's pretty fuckin scary and has barely been covered at all

PostPosted: Tue April 02, 2013 10:27 am 
Misplaced My Sponge

dimejinky99 wrote:

Heh. Frankenfood.

The articles I found didn't have any specifics other than Secretary of Agriculture something something something.

PostPosted: Tue April 02, 2013 4:47 pm 
Rank This Poster

dimejinky99 wrote:

He was an Illinois senator after all, why wouldn't he be in bed with Monsanto everyone else in the midwest is?

PostPosted: Tue April 02, 2013 5:34 pm 
what on earth am I talking about

It was legislation saying that Monsanto didn't have to state their products had GM food in them. Apparently he made a statement previously saying ever American should know what's in their food and especially if GM food was involved. Typical.

PostPosted: Tue April 02, 2013 7:07 pm 
Misplaced My Sponge

dimejinky99 wrote:
It was legislation saying that Monsanto didn't have to state their products had GM food in them. Apparently he made a statement previously saying ever American should know what's in their food and especially if GM food was involved. Typical.

We love us our GMOs.

PostPosted: Thu April 04, 2013 1:11 am 
Future Drummer

dimejinky99 wrote:

You mad?

PostPosted: Thu April 04, 2013 4:54 am 
Misplaced My Sponge

My girlfriends former hippie parents have some land in North Dakota that a friend plants for them. They were aghast when they learned that 'round-up' ready corn was GMO. :roll: I don't particularly care about that, but their real crime is that corn is intended for ethanol.

Oh, and they both retired at 60 (possibly younger?) from public sector jobs and are doing quite well for themselves. In a nutshell, the face of the demographic problems in the US.

PostPosted: Thu April 04, 2013 11:40 am 
Future Drummer

From WaPo:

Obama said to pick mega-fundraiser Bruce Heyman for Canada
By Al Kamen

President Obama’s pick to be ambassador to Canada is fellow Chicagoan Bruce Heyman, a Goldman Sachs partner in the Windy City, mega-fundraiser and member of the Obama campaign’s national finance committee, CBC News in Canada reported Wednesday.

Heyman runs a private wealth fund at Goldman Sachs, and his areas of responsibility include parts of Canada, the network reported, noting that he and his wife raised more than $1 million for Obama. He would replace David Jacobson, who’s also from Chicago.

A Goldman Sachs partner getting a choice spot in the US government? That's Change ™ we can believe in.

PostPosted: Tue February 11, 2014 11:36 am 
Future Drummer

Obama will not bow to lobbyists or fundraisers, unless they want a personal airport on DoD land to park all their private jets:

http://news.yahoo.com/google-subsidiary-run-nearby-federal-airfield-003610841.html

PostPosted: Thu July 05, 2018 10:15 pm 
Troglodyte
 WWW  Profile

Quote:
This mystery thriller reunites Vice President Joe Biden and President Barack Obama for a political mashup full of suspense, intrigue, and laugh out loud bromance.

Vice President Joe Biden is fresh out of the Obama White House and feeling adrift when his favorite railroad conductor dies in a suspicious accident, leaving behind an ailing wife and a trail of clues. To unravel the mystery, “Amtrak Joe” re-teams with the only man he’s ever fully trusted—the 44th president of the United States. Together they’ll plumb the darkest corners of Delaware, traveling from cheap motels to biker bars and beyond, as they uncover the sinister forces advancing America’s opioid epidemic.

Part noir thriller and part bromance novel, Hope Never Dies is essentially the first published work of Obama/Biden fanfiction—and a cathartic read for anyone distressed by the current state of affairs.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 61 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Board index » Word on the Street » News & Debate