The board's server will undergo upgrade maintenance tonight, Nov 5, 2014, beginning approximately around 10 PM ET. Prepare for some possible down time during this process.
FAQ    Search

Board index » Word on the Street » News & Debate

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 157 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
 Post subject: Re: Missing Malaysian Airlines Flight MH370
PostPosted: Mon March 17, 2014 8:35 pm 
what on earth am I talking about

Courtney love think she's found it http://twitter.com/Courtney/status/4454 ... 40/photo/1

PostPosted: Mon March 17, 2014 10:01 pm 
F.U.B.A.R
 WWW  Profile

dimejinky99 wrote:

I'm impressed that she's learnt how to use Paint.

Also, did she use Google Earth for the picture? If so, the pic was probably taken 6 years ago. Edit: NM, just found the source.

PostPosted: Mon March 17, 2014 10:03 pm 
Polluted

Sgt. Crackpot wrote:
dimejinky99 wrote:

I'm impressed that she's learnt how to use Paint.

Pretty sure that's just a picture of lipstick on her monitor.

PostPosted: Mon March 17, 2014 10:09 pm 
Site Admin

How the fuck did she manage to get Courtney as her Twitter handle? It's almost like they did the complete opposite of Frances Bean's request.

PostPosted: Mon March 17, 2014 11:58 pm 
$5 Donation Gets Custom Title

E.H. Ruddock wrote:
The thing is, if it was hijacked and landed, someone would have made some demands by now, right?

Yes.

It's almost certain that the plane went down in the ocean.

PostPosted: Tue March 18, 2014 12:08 am 

Watched a news program about this last night and they cant apparently figure out why the computer that talks to satellites in case of any emergency didn't send any messages at all so it's likely it was disable as its simple as pulling a chip out from a desk on the dashboard.

This apparently lends weight to the hijack theory but to land or take off a plane that size you need a runway about two miles long so where? It could be landed in a large field but could not take off again cos the engine would tear the turf up and that's even if you could get up enough speed on such an extended uneven surface. So are they that organised that they either had a runways hired or access to one?
The staff at the departure airport are all now being investigated and one of the pulls had a flight simulator in his room at home which is being examined.
Whoever was responsible knew where to fly so that the plane would leave regular ATC radar.
This is either a really highly sophisticated hijack with an as yet unknown goal(demands don't necessarily always happen if its terrorism)
Of it just crashed but that's increasingly unlikely as it would have been found by now. But then perhaps not cos it could have reached as far as Africa on the fuel it had available.

And remember there have been terrorist incidents in the Far East before, this could just be a new paradigm about to happen

PostPosted: Tue March 18, 2014 2:09 am 

Not a hijacking.

PostPosted: Tue March 18, 2014 1:12 pm 
likes rhythmic things that butt up against each other
 WWW  Profile

https://twitter.com/trickytree_nffc/sta ... 85/photo/1

PostPosted: Tue March 18, 2014 2:46 pm 
Misplaced My Sponge

PostPosted: Tue March 18, 2014 6:33 pm 

As enlightening as this article is, it's just freaked the shit out of me that a former pilot still flies with 'a firehood' in his briefcase.
http://www.wired.com/autopia/2014/03/mh ... ical-fire/

PostPosted: Tue March 18, 2014 8:04 pm 
Mind Your Tanners

PostPosted: Tue March 18, 2014 10:07 pm 
post-structuralist

http://www.haveeru.com.mv/news/54062

Maldives island residents report sighting of 'low flying jet'

Residents of the remote Maldives island of Kuda Huvadhoo in Dhaal Atoll have reported seeing a "low flying jumbo jet" on the morning of the disappearance of the Malaysia Airlines flight MH370.

Whilst the disappearance of the Boeing 777 jet, carrying 239 passengers has left the whole world in bewilderment, several residents of Kuda Huvadhoo told Haveeru on Tuesday that they saw a "low flying jumbo jet" at around 6:15am on March 8.

They said that it was a white aircraft, with red stripes across it – which is what the Malaysia Airlines flights typically look like.

Eyewitnesses from the Kuda Huvadhoo concurred that the aeroplane was travelling North to South-East, towards the Southern tip of the Maldives – Addu. They also noted the incredibly loud noise that the flight made when it flew over the island.

"I've never seen a jet flying so low over our island before. We've seen seaplanes, but I'm sure that this was not one of those. I could even make out the doors on the plane clearly," said an eyewitness.

"It's not just me either, several other residents have reported seeing the exact same thing. Some people got out of their houses to see what was causing the tremendous noise too."

Mohamed Zaheem, the Island Councilor of Kuda Huvadhoo, said that the residents of the island had spoken about the incident.

A local aviation expert told Haveeru that it is "likely" for MH370 to have flown over the Maldives. The possibility of any aircraft flying over the island at the reported time is extremely low, the expert added.

The Malaysia airlines jet disappeared on March 8 with 239 people on board after taking off from Kuala Lumpur bound for Beijing. Investigators say it was deliberately diverted off course.

Twenty-six countries are now helping to hunt for the plane after satellite and military radar data projected two huge corridors through which it might have flown.

Satellite data suggests that the last "ping" was recieved from the flight somwhere close to the Maldives and the US naval base on Diego Garcia.

But the Maldives is not amongst the countries that Malaysian authorities had sought help from in its search for the missing jet. Malaysia has listed the countries that it had appealed for assistance: Kazakhstan, Uzbekistan, Kyrgyzstan, Turkmenistan, Pakistan, Bangladesh, India, China, Myanmar, Laos, Vietnam, Thailand, Indonesia, Australia and France.

Spoiler: show
people change. people stay the same. people are so often disappointing - random PM, person unnamed

PostPosted: Thu March 20, 2014 9:38 pm 
F.U.B.A.R
 WWW  Profile

http://www.news.com.au/world/mh370-sear ... 6860748694

AS THE sun rises over the southern Indian Ocean the search resumes for missing Malaysian Airlines flight MH370 with possible objects discovered in the water deemed the “best lead” yet.

Four aircraft were tasked by the Australian Maritime Safety Authority to focus on a 23,000 square kilometre area about 2500 kilometres southwest of Perth.

They are investigating satellite data imagery which identified two objects possibly related to the missing Malaysia Airlines flight which disappeared on March 8 with 239 people on board.

The first day of the search found nothing conclusive, but the effort will be bolstered by the arrival last night of the Norwegian car carrier, Hoegh St. Petersburg.

Another merchant ship is en route to the area, as is HMAS Success, a Royal Australian Navy ship.

Sunrise in Perth today is at 6.20am (9.20am AEDT).

Start of sidebar. Skip to end of sidebar.

End of sidebar. Return to start of sidebar.
The images were captured on March 16 but due to the volume of imagery being searched, and the detailed process of analysis that followed, the information was brought to the attention of the Australian Maritime Safety Authority on Thursday morning.

One of the objects was 24 metres in length and the other was 5 metres.

The images have been assessed as being credible but it is possible they do not relate to the search.

DIFFICULTIES IN SEARCH

John Young, manager of the Australian Maritime Safety Authority’s emergency response division, said “it’s probably the best lead we have right now.’’

“The search will continue (today),’’ the Authority said after it had to be called off due to low visibility caused by clouds and rain.

Ocean expert Dr Robin Beaman from James Cook University said debris could have been carried hundreds of kilometres since the satellite images were captured on March 16.

“The currents are drifting at one or two nautical miles per hour so it certainly makes sense that it could have drifted several hundred miles by now,” he said.

“There’d be parts of the plane that could float for some time but certainly not indefinitely. Eventually parts like that will become waterlogged and sink to the sea floor so it’s time critical,” he said.

‘WE’RE PUTTING IN MAXIMUM EFFORT’: TRUSS

Acting Prime Minister Warren Truss has described the search as “very difficult and challenging”, given the objects would have moved because of the tides and wind.

“Clearly they will have moved since the 16th of March when those images were originally captured,” Mr Truss told ABC Radio.

“The search area is quite broad.”

“There have been some marker buoys dropped in the location to help get a better understanding of what drift if likely to have occurred in the area and that can also help to pinpoint the search area.”

He said the search can only be conducted in daylight hours and “it is a very long journey to the site”.

“Unfortunately aircraft can only have one or two hours over the search area before they need to return to the mainland for fuel,” Mr Truss added.

The Acting PM said there is a risk the weather conditions may deteriorate but the “maximum effort is being put in”.

He said Australia has discussed with other countries getting more resources, but it will take “a very long time” for those to be deployed.

“We need to use the resources we have in that intervening period,” he argued.

PostPosted: Thu March 20, 2014 11:26 pm 

I suspect that this will be largely unsolved for a long time yet.

PostPosted: Fri March 21, 2014 12:44 am 
Poster of the Year

zeb wrote:
I suspect that this will be largely unsolved for a long time yet.

We're never going to know. A suitcase will wash up on the complete opposite side of the world in a few years and we'll still have no idea where it went down or why.

PostPosted: Fri March 21, 2014 1:09 am 
F.U.B.A.R
 WWW  Profile

If only they could find the black box. Apparently the ultrasonic transmitter (for under water) only lasts about 30 days, and a ship needs to be within about 25 KM to detect the signal. Only about 15 days left to find it.

I'd hate for it to never be found, or they find it in 50 years time and it's destroyed by corrosion or something.

PostPosted: Fri March 21, 2014 1:25 am 

They may be able to retrieve enough of the fuselage to determine if there was an explosion or fire prior to impact.

Obviously the remoteness of the apparent crash site is going to go a long way towards preventing complete reconstruction of the plane or events leading to the crash.

I do hope that the passengers and crew were unconscious due to decompression and did not suffer.

PostPosted: Fri March 21, 2014 9:03 am 
Posting (live)

It makes no sense for the pilots to ditch a plane, divert the plane or turn off the communications unless a) they personally had an agenda or b) they were being blackmailed in some form. If there was a hijacking then self preservation of the pilots would dictate that they would land the plane somewhere unless the cockpit had been compromised.

It will be interesting to hear if there is any development with the pilot's families. That seems the only plausible option other than some kind of mechanical failure. Which itself is not explained by the comms issue and the diversion.

My guess is we will never really know.

PostPosted: Fri March 21, 2014 9:11 am 

LetMeSleep wrote:
It makes no sense for the pilots to ditch a plane, divert the plane or turn off the communications unless a) they personally had an agenda or b) they were being blackmailed in some form.

They may have changed course in order to land at a nearby airfield after a fire or explosion on board.

PostPosted: Fri March 21, 2014 9:29 am 
Posting (live)

zeb wrote:
LetMeSleep wrote:
It makes no sense for the pilots to ditch a plane, divert the plane or turn off the communications unless a) they personally had an agenda or b) they were being blackmailed in some form.

They may have changed course in order to land at a nearby airfield after a fire or explosion on board.

True but the lack of communications doesn't back this up.

Someone knows...

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 157 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Board index » Word on the Street » News & Debate