Switch to full style
Engage in discussions about news, politics, etc.
Post a reply

Re: Cops Are The Worst

Sat January 28, 2023 1:54 am

Stickman wrote:Bodycam video shows Tyre Nichols being beaten, tased by Memphis police

Disgusting behavior. Homicide charges far more appropriate here than with Floyd

Sat January 28, 2023 3:17 am

Neighbor took down their Blue Lives Matter flag today.

Sat January 28, 2023 3:38 am

Bi_3 wrote:

The CNN coverage was annoying me. Much of what they did before getting the cuffs on him was probably permissible, he was resisting after all. Almost all the hits post cuffs seems pretty solid 2nd degree murder grounds. I don't know why some people were pushing for 1st degree.

The other thing is these cops seemed out of shape and not super competent. I wonder what else will come out about the SCORPION unit they were on.

Sat January 28, 2023 5:48 am

Damn. All kinds of fucked up.

Sat January 28, 2023 2:43 pm

simple schoolboy wrote:
Bi_3 wrote:

The CNN coverage was annoying me. Much of what they did before getting the cuffs on him was probably permissible, he was resisting after all. Almost all the hits post cuffs seems pretty solid 2nd degree murder grounds. I don't know why some people were pushing for 1st degree.

The other thing is these cops seemed out of shape and not super competent. I wonder what else will come out about the SCORPION unit they were on.

Was he resisting or was he confused because he had just been dragged out of his car by 5 angry men all screaming instructions at him?

Sat January 28, 2023 3:35 pm

JuanHamm wrote:
simple schoolboy wrote:
Bi_3 wrote:

Was he resisting or was he confused because he had just been dragged out of his car by 5 angry men all screaming instructions at him?

Not enough information to make a judgement like that. The public does not yet have video of what happened prior to officers pulling him from the car after the initial pursuit. In one of the released videos an officer claims the victim (he is unquestionably a victim of police violence) was swerving and failing to stop during a low speed chase. There is no evidence presented in the released videos that backs this up or disputes it or otherwise explains the aggressive nature of the initial stop.

But to schoolboy's point, perhaps media should restrain from speculating here until additional evidence becomes available so that a misstatement or misinterpretation or personal remark under stress doesn't lead to further tragedy.

Sat January 28, 2023 8:13 pm

Is this a situation where good Samaritans should be pulling protesters out of the street?

Sat January 28, 2023 8:39 pm

B wrote:Image

Is this a situation where good Samaritans should be pulling protesters out of the street?

Did they pull a permit? Time, manner and place restrictions are fine. Get a permit or keep it on the sidewalk.

That said, the Good Samaritan would certainly be attacked by the PSL loons.

Mon January 30, 2023 10:49 pm

simple schoolboy wrote:

Did they pull a permit? Time, manner and place restrictions are fine. Get a permit or keep it on the sidewalk.

To the memory hole!

Mon January 30, 2023 11:23 pm

Bi_3 wrote:
simple schoolboy wrote:

To the memory hole!

Did I miss an update?

Mon January 30, 2023 11:27 pm

simple schoolboy wrote:
Bi_3 wrote:
simple schoolboy wrote:

To the memory hole!

Did I miss an update?

About what?

Tue January 31, 2023 3:08 pm

simple schoolboy wrote:
Bi_3 wrote:

they actually looked to be must in much better physical condition than most cops.

also, lol at the cnn comment.

Wed February 01, 2023 5:25 am

warehouse wrote:
simple schoolboy wrote:
Bi_3 wrote:

they actually looked to be must in much better physical condition than most cops.

The cops were aggressive at the initial stop sure, but they actually gave him consistent orders there. He wanted to turn around and protest, which while a natural response is not what they asked of him. He was in a no win condition at this point.

If they were in shape then you have to give more weight to the incompetency side. 3 or 4 cops couldn't get cuffs on a skinny dude for several minutes?

One of the first cop badge cams had him gassed out after running a block or so.

Wed February 01, 2023 5:26 am

Thoughts on the idea that police departments are basically desperate to make hires and thus have lower standards (and training) recently leading to hires that would otherwise not have been made?

Wed February 01, 2023 5:40 am

Bammer wrote:Thoughts on the idea that police departments are basically desperate to make hires and thus have lower standards (and training) recently leading to hires that would otherwise not have been made?

Like every profession/industry?

Wed February 01, 2023 5:41 am

spike wrote:
Bammer wrote:Thoughts on the idea that police departments are basically desperate to make hires and thus have lower standards (and training) recently leading to hires that would otherwise not have been made?

More like because defunding?

Wed February 01, 2023 5:54 am

spike wrote:

Gen X has entered the chat.

Wed February 01, 2023 6:19 am

simple schoolboy wrote:
warehouse wrote:
simple schoolboy wrote:
Bi_3 wrote:

The cops were aggressive at the initial stop sure, but they actually gave him consistent orders there. He wanted to turn around and protest, which while a natural response is not what they asked of him. He was in a no win condition at this point.

If they were in shape then you have to give more weight to the incompetency side. 3 or 4 cops couldn't get cuffs on a skinny dude for several minutes?

I refuse to watch the video but every descriptive piece I have seen states the orders were not consistent to what was going on

Wed February 01, 2023 6:44 am

Peeps wrote:
simple schoolboy wrote:
warehouse wrote:
simple schoolboy wrote:
Bi_3 wrote:

I refuse to watch the video but every descriptive piece I have seen states the orders were not consistent to what was going on

During the initial contact where they yell at him to face the ground and put his hands behind his back this is less of an issue,
they were pretty consistent. He escapes and runs away pretty quickly. (Questions to competency)

During their second contact commands are kinda secondary to beating him.

Inconsistent commands is a big issue in a lot of these interactions.

Wed February 01, 2023 11:53 am

Bammer wrote:
spike wrote:

More like because defunding?

Not many departments were actually defunded, but I would agree the defund movement has lowered police performance and quality.
Post a reply