The board's server will undergo upgrade maintenance tonight, Nov 5, 2014, beginning approximately around 10 PM ET. Prepare for some possible down time during this process.
FAQ    Search

Board index » Word on the Street » News & Debate

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 5262 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 243, 244, 245, 246, 247, 248, 249 ... 264  Next
 Post subject: Re: Cops Are The Worst
PostPosted: Sat February 12, 2022 6:49 pm 
An enigma of a man shaped hole in the wall between reality and the soul of the devil.

elliseamos wrote:
Orwellian to get facts out during a pandemic. What a horrible and intrusive thing to do.

Just giving the facts my ass...

“And truly, if life had no purpose, and I had to choose nonsense, this would be the most desirable nonsense for me as well."

PostPosted: Sat February 12, 2022 6:51 pm 
Future Drummer

BurtReynolds wrote:
elliseamos wrote:
Orwellian to get facts out during a pandemic. What a horrible and intrusive thing to do.

Just giving the facts my ass...

Oh man I just wet my pants.

PostPosted: Sat February 12, 2022 6:53 pm 
An enigma of a man shaped hole in the wall between reality and the soul of the devil.

And before anyone asks, no, the cops have no business "pro-actively" explaining rights about protesting to citizens.

“And truly, if life had no purpose, and I had to choose nonsense, this would be the most desirable nonsense for me as well."

PostPosted: Sat February 12, 2022 6:57 pm 
Future Drummer

The cop also admitted she was there because of something she posted on a FB group (not HER own FB). Maybe she said she was going everywhere to pacify her? I don't know. Neither do you.

PostPosted: Sat February 12, 2022 7:00 pm 
Mind Your Tanners

I've edited my post after clarifying what the pamphlet was about.

It makes sense to me to visit people that may attend a protest to let them know ahead of time what would get them arrested. It seems like a totally Canadian courtesy sort of step to take.

PostPosted: Sat February 12, 2022 7:03 pm 

Rob wrote:
The cop also admitted she was there because of something she posted on a FB group (not HER own FB). Maybe she said she was going everywhere to pacify her? I don't know. Neither do you.

So either

She said something that was perfectly within her rights and the cops felt the need to warn her.

or

She said something incredibly dangerous, and the cops only felt the need to give her a card explaining her protesting rights to her.

So are you cool with the cop's behavior either way?

PostPosted: Sat February 12, 2022 7:06 pm 

elliseamos wrote:
I've edited my post after clarifying what the pamphlet was about.

It makes sense to me to visit people that may attend a protest to let them know ahead of time what would get them arrested. It seems like a totally Canadian courtesy sort of step to take.

Imagine my shock that you would move to "they're just friendly Canadians helping each other out!"

Leader of the country btw:

PostPosted: Sat February 12, 2022 7:21 pm 
Future Drummer

BurtReynolds wrote:
Rob wrote:

So either

She said something that was perfectly within her rights and the cops felt the need to warn her.

or

She said something incredibly dangerous, and the cops only felt the need to give her a card explaining her protesting rights to her.

My entire point is that neither of us know which it is. I've already answered this question. We don't know where on the spectrum it falls. Did she say something stupid that you hear everywhere? Then no, it doesn't warrant a visit. We don't know what she said, and as I said a couple pages ago, I've yet to see anyone post evidence that this is something happening at scale over there. There is only this video.

PostPosted: Sat February 12, 2022 7:23 pm 
Future Drummer

Worth noting though, she wasn't warned. She was immediately given a card and was reminded of her rights.

PostPosted: Sat February 12, 2022 7:30 pm 

Rob wrote:
BurtReynolds wrote:
Rob wrote:

So either

or

My entire point is that neither of us know which it is. I've already answered this question. We don't know where on the spectrum it falls. Did she say something stupid that you hear everywhere? Then no, it doesn't warrant a visit. We don't know what she said, and as I said a couple pages ago, I've yet to see anyone post evidence that this is something happening at scale over there. There is only this video.

This isn't the same question I asked before. Apparently, the cop was there because of a facebook post. We know this now, but we don't know what she posted. Now I'm asking you if the cop's behavior is correct in either case.

PostPosted: Sat February 12, 2022 7:32 pm 

Rob wrote:
Worth noting though, she wasn't warned. She was immediately given a card and was reminded of her rights.

:roll:

PostPosted: Sat February 12, 2022 7:33 pm 
Future Drummer

BurtReynolds wrote:
Rob wrote:
BurtReynolds wrote:
Rob wrote:

So either

or

This isn't the same question I asked before. Apparently, the cop was there because of a facebook post. We know this now, but we don't know what she posted. Now I'm asking you if the cop's behavior is correct in either case.

PostPosted: Sat February 12, 2022 7:36 pm 
Mind Your Tanners

It seems proactive by the police to visit people that are openly part of a public Facebook group to give them facts about the rules of legal protest. It seems especially Canadian to me that the police took the time to do this door to door rather than approaching it the American way and blasting these same rules through a bull horn whilst dressed in riot gear.

PostPosted: Sat February 12, 2022 7:39 pm 

elliseamos wrote:
It seems proactive by the police to visit people that are openly part of a public Facebook group to give them facts about the rules of legal protest. It seems especially Canadian to me that the police took the time to do this door to door rather than approaching it the American way and blasting these same rules through a bull horn whilst dressed in riot gear.

Canada is not the Shire. These are not hobbits, amos.

PostPosted: Sat February 12, 2022 7:42 pm 

Rob wrote:
BurtReynolds wrote:
Rob wrote:
BurtReynolds wrote:
Rob wrote:

So either

or

I'm not talking about a spectrum. Reread what I wrote. I'm saying that if either scenario is true, then I think the cops acted inappropriately. Either they overreacted to a person acting within their rights, or they underreacted to a dangerous lunatic (which you originally asserted was what she was.)

PostPosted: Sat February 12, 2022 7:48 pm 
Mind Your Tanners

Eyeroll. I don't think they're Hobbits or nazis, I think they have a different approach to policing than in the US.

PostPosted: Sat February 12, 2022 7:51 pm 
Future Drummer

I didn't say she was a lunatic, I said maybe she said some wild, crazy shit. Again, we only know parts of the story. Maybe the cop showed up and saw a 40 year old woman in pajamas, looking for her viral video, and based on the comment thought it was ok. Or maybe she backed away slowly and went back to alert others to keep an eye on her. So many missing details...

PostPosted: Sat February 12, 2022 7:53 pm 

elliseamos wrote:
Eyeroll. I don't think they're Hobbits or nazis, I think they have a different approach to policing than in the US.

So you do think its acceptable for the cops to monitor its citizens and pay visits to people in dissident facebook groups or supporting protests! You're not even aware of what you believe!

We just fundamentally disagree!

PostPosted: Sat February 12, 2022 7:55 pm 

Rob wrote:
I didn't say she was a lunatic, I said maybe she said some wild, crazy shit. Again, we only know parts of the story. Maybe the cop showed up and saw a 40 year old woman in pajamas, looking for her viral video, and based on the comment thought it was ok. Or maybe she backed away slowly and went back to alert others to keep an eye on her. So many missing details...

No, you literally called her a lunatic.

PostPosted: Sat February 12, 2022 7:56 pm 

But yes, maybe this is a deepfake using crisis actors created by Vladimir Putin. We just don't know! Who can say? We can't form any opinions whatsoever! We can't discuss any hypotheticals!

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 5262 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 243, 244, 245, 246, 247, 248, 249 ... 264  Next

Board index » Word on the Street » News & Debate