The board's server will undergo upgrade maintenance tonight, Nov 5, 2014, beginning approximately around 10 PM ET. Prepare for some possible down time during this process.
FAQ    Search

Board index » Word on the Street » News & Debate

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 5262 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 207, 208, 209, 210, 211, 212, 213 ... 264  Next
 Post subject: Re: Cops Are The Worst
PostPosted: Sat March 13, 2021 1:17 am 
NEVER STOP JAMMING!

No, I’m there with you.

PostPosted: Tue March 23, 2021 2:36 am 
Mind Your Tanners

Sheriff Judd says 3 deputies resign, face felony charges related to evidence tampering

PostPosted: Wed March 24, 2021 4:53 am 
Misplaced My Sponge

This somehow will not be the main response, nor will it really matter.

PostPosted: Wed March 24, 2021 11:51 am 
Looks Like a Cat

simple schoolboy wrote:

This guy gets it.

PostPosted: Wed March 24, 2021 12:20 pm 
Mind Your Tanners

Bi_3 wrote:
simple schoolboy wrote:

This guy gets it.
certainly spared me tuning in at 6pm.

PostPosted: Wed March 24, 2021 12:44 pm 
Looks Like a Cat

elliseamos wrote:
Bi_3 wrote:
simple schoolboy wrote:

This guy gets it.
certainly spared me tuning in at 6pm.

:thumbsup:

I'm not sure the Manhattan Institute is really your kinda thing anyway.

PostPosted: Wed March 24, 2021 1:53 pm 
NEVER STOP JAMMING!

Unless your thing is ExxonMobil grantees who publish pieces about how climate change won’t be all that bad because people can buy air conditioners and acclimate to being hot and, actually, the oil companies are owned by all of us if you think about it, so we’re all hurt when oil company subsidies get reduced.

PostPosted: Wed March 24, 2021 11:04 pm 
Mind Your Tanners

Good to know.

PostPosted: Sat March 27, 2021 2:04 pm 
Looks Like a Cat

Hamsterdam:

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/after ... r-BB1f0A5C

PostPosted: Sat March 27, 2021 9:05 pm 
Gone

Crime goes down when you don't enforce laws, yes.

PostPosted: Mon April 05, 2021 2:06 pm 
Looks Like a Cat

Interesting article from radical right-wing news source on the battle over medical examiner's report in Chauvin trial:

https://www.msn.com/en-us/health/medical/cause-of-death-at-issue-in-chauvin-trial-as-prosecution-questions-medical-examiners-findings/

PostPosted: Tue April 06, 2021 11:26 pm 
Looks Like a Cat

Kinda shocking that the Chauvin jury won’t get to hear that Floyd had passed out from drug use a few hours prior to the event. Seems relevant to the murder charges.

PostPosted: Tue April 06, 2021 11:58 pm 
Mind Your Tanners

When I pass out I too have a tendency to die.

PostPosted: Wed April 07, 2021 2:09 am 
Looks Like a Cat

Mickey wrote:

PostPosted: Wed April 07, 2021 3:19 am 
Misplaced My Sponge

Bi_3 wrote:
Mickey wrote:

3rd degree murder is still too much of stretch. Unless the jury gets intimidated into voting guilty for the sake of themselves / the community, he's getting off on that charge.

Also, did Jesus have like a 0.4 BAC? That would be a more equivalent scenario.

PostPosted: Wed April 07, 2021 4:01 am 
Gone

Did anything ever happen to the other cops or emts that were there? Any disciplinary action? They just stood there and watched this guy get killed. Hard to believe nobody would step in and get him off Floyd.

PostPosted: Wed April 07, 2021 6:30 am 
Misplaced My Sponge

verb_to_trust wrote:
Did anything ever happen to the other cops or emts that were there? Any disciplinary action? They just stood there and watched this guy get killed. Hard to believe nobody would step in and get him off Floyd.

I believe from the trial several tried to render aid but the police wouldn’t let them (Emts). As for the cops I think a few faced disciplinary action but what came of that I do not know

PostPosted: Wed April 07, 2021 11:29 am 
Looks Like a Cat

Peeps wrote:
verb_to_trust wrote:

I believe from the trial several tried to render aid but the police wouldn’t let them (Emts). As for the cops I think a few faced disciplinary action but what came of that I do not know

I think four cops are charged (albeit with lesser charges than Chauvin) and the EMTs have testified already. It appears the defense might be using the 'officers worried about the growing crowd' as part their case, so it's possible more testimony about the lack of intervention will come out soon. Getting the murder 3 charge added back was smart of the prosecutors as a path for 'social justice' because they won't get murder 2 here. Any other case and it would probably be negligent homicide at most.

PostPosted: Wed April 07, 2021 12:34 pm 
Troglodyte
 WWW  Profile

simple schoolboy wrote:
Bi_3 wrote:
Mickey wrote:

3rd degree murder is still too much of stretch. Unless the jury gets intimidated into voting guilty for the sake of themselves / the community, he's getting off on that charge.

Also, did Jesus have like a 0.4 BAC? That would be a more equivalent scenario.

What's the BAC number for murder of a handcuffed man laying on the ground? I haven't reviewed that statute in a while.

PostPosted: Wed April 07, 2021 2:51 pm 
NEVER STOP JAMMING!

Peeps wrote:
verb_to_trust wrote:

As far as I know, there are two EMT angles on this event.

First, there was an off-duty firefighter in the crowd. Details on her testimony:
Quote:
Hansen, who is a trained emergency medical technician and Minneapolis firefighter, testified that upon taking in the scene, she moved closer to the officers who were pinning Floyd on the asphalt and identified herself as a first responder.

In video footage played for the court, Hansen could be heard demanding that the officers check his pulse.

"I had already assessed that [Floyd] was in an altered state of consciousness. What I needed to know was if he had a pulse."

She described how Floyd was lying motionless: "He wasn't moving, and he was cuffed. And three grown men putting all of their weight on somebody is too much," she said.

But rather than allow her to help, Hansen said, then-officer Tou Thao "said something along the lines of, 'If you really are a Minneapolis firefighter, you would know better than to get involved.' "

Her voice began to tremble when she recalled the impotence that overwhelmed her as Thao and the other officers blocked her from providing the kind of medical care she has been trained to give. "I got there and I could have given medical assistance. That's exactly what I should have done."

She broke down moments later when describing how she felt "totally distressed."

When asked about her shifting tone on the video taken on the day of the killing, she explained that she initially addressed the officers in a calm and reasonable manner. But that as the minutes slipped away, and she realized that Floyd may have released his bladder as a result of becoming unconscious or possibly dead, she began raising her voice and using foul language.

"Because I was desperate to help. ... Because there was a man being killed and ... had I had access to a call similar to that, I would have been able to provide medical attention to the best of my abilities. And this human was denied that," she said.

Prosecutors also played audio of a 911 call Hansen made moments after Floyd was loaded into an ambulance.

"Hello. I'm on the block of 38th and Chicago, and I literally watched police officers not take a pulse and not do anything to save a man, and I am a first responder myself, and I literally have it on video. I just happened to be on a walk," Hansen said in the call.

Subsequent to that are the EMTs that eventually arrived on scene. Details on their testimony:
Quote:
Hennepin County paramedic Seth Bravinder said Floyd's his team never detected a pulse in the 46-year-old man who died in police custody.

Reviewing video footage from the scene, Bravinder described how he gestured for Chauvin to move so the paramedics could slide Floyd onto their gurney. As they did so, Bravinder used his hands to hold Floyd's head – the man was "limp," he said.

Although his partner was closer to Floyd, Bravinder said that from where he stood, "I didn't see any breathing or movement." Floyd looked to be unresponsive and was in handcuffs, he said.

Bravinder's partner felt the patient's neck for a pulse and looked at his pupils, he said. When his partner returned, Bravinder asked him if the man was in cardiac arrest.

"He said, 'I think so,'" Bravinder said.

Eldridge asked what the term "cardiac arrest" refers to.

Bravinder replied that paramedics use it to describe "anybody that's not responsive, not breathing and doesn't have a pulse currently."

Their next course of action, he said, was to move Floyd into their ambulance so they could focus on resuscitating him.

Prompted by Chauvin's defense attorney Eric Nelson, Bravinder said that they decided to drive away in part because the tense crowd could potentially distract them from their work. But he said, the main reason was that all their gear that would help them start a resuscitation process was in the ambulance.

Even after the move, however, Bravinder said Floyd's condition had not improved.

"The cardiac monitor was showing asystole," he said. Describing that term, the paramedic said most people would understand it as showing someone's heart activity had "flat-lined."

Paramedic Derek Smith, who treated Floyd alongside Bravinder, echoed much of what Bravinder said on the stand during his own testimony.

He described arriving on the scene and seeing Floyd's "limp" body on the ground as three officers, including Chauvin, remained on top of him.

At the behest of Eldridge, Smith recalled the step-by-step the actions he took on that day, saying, "I walked up to the individual, noticed he wasn't moving. I didn't see any chest rise or fall on this individual."

"In lay terms, I thought he was dead," he continued.

When the officers finally got up off of the 46-year-old Black man, Smith said he did not detect a pulse, adding that he did all he could to try to revive Floyd but to no avail.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 5262 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 207, 208, 209, 210, 211, 212, 213 ... 264  Next

Board index » Word on the Street » News & Debate