The board's server will undergo upgrade maintenance tonight, Nov 5, 2014, beginning approximately around 10 PM ET. Prepare for some possible down time during this process.
FAQ    Search

Board index » Word on the Street » News & Debate

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 5262 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10 ... 264  Next
 Post subject: Re: Cops Are The Worst
PostPosted: Thu August 14, 2014 10:27 pm 
NEVER STOP JAMMING!

BurtReynolds wrote:
http://www.businessinsider.com/police-militarization-ferguson-2014-8

A commenter wrote:
Do most blacks seem like they are getting dumber? Areas that I grew up in that had decent speaking blacks 20 years ago now have blacks that speak in almost slavery days broken southern English and dress with their pants sagging and falling off. I remember back in the day that blacks used to dress up more nicely than most folks and had some pride. Now it's poor me and my gangsta mentality.

:wince:

PostPosted: Thu August 14, 2014 10:39 pm 
NEVER STOP JAMMING!

Quote:
Thank GOD I don't live around any negros. What a vile, filthy race of sub-humans.
They are nothing but domestic terrorists.

Quote:
If I were the police, I would take black neighborhoods off my radar. Let’s face it, white neighborhoods are safer

Quote:
Apartheid works.

Everybody knows that the world is full of stupid people.

PostPosted: Thu August 14, 2014 10:48 pm 
Misplaced My Sponge

Orpheus wrote:
Peeps wrote:
yes cops should have a higher standard but at the same time they are only human

Yes, they should. As a policeman it is your job to serve and protect the public. Michael Brown was part of that public. In too many of these instances, the attitude of the cop seems to be "I was possibly in danger, so I had to shoot!" when it is THEIR JOB to assume danger and risk for from the public. Not only did this cop probably shoot a guy who was doing nothing wrong, he created a situation where other people could have been hurt or killed FOR NO REASON by opening fire on a street in broad daylight. This is fucking mind-boggling to me. His actions seem to indicate that the motto of the police has really become "to serve and protect if you're white, to intimidate and harass if you're black."

it is no better to assume cops are the worst than it is to assume blacks are the worst. all that does is feed into the stereotype that cops arent to be trusted and neither are the blacks

PostPosted: Thu August 14, 2014 11:01 pm 
An enigma of a man shaped hole in the wall between reality and the soul of the devil.

Frankly, the pronunciation of Missouri as "missour-ah" is grounds for full martial law and strict curfews over the entire state.

“And truly, if life had no purpose, and I had to choose nonsense, this would be the most desirable nonsense for me as well."

PostPosted: Thu August 14, 2014 11:03 pm 
Future Drummer

Where did I say cops are the worst? That's the thread title, but I didn't make the thread, did I?

I said that their job requires them to assume danger and risk, much more so than the average person. Mike Brown was a kid walking down the street. He has no obligation to do anything other than live his life. The cop, on the other hand, has an obligation to serve and protect the citizenry of his jurisdiction. If the eyewitness accounts are true (which I think it is probable that they are), the cop began the whole incident when he pulled his gun and threatened to shoot Brown (and then did, multiple times, even after he showed the he was unarmed and non-resistant). THE COP MADE THIS HAPPEN. If this was an average person, we would say that he assaulted Brown and murdered him, and he would be thrown in jail. The cop though, has a further obligation in the OPPOSITE DIRECTION, which is supposedly to protect and serve Brown and other people in the community.

People on here criticized me for suggesting that George Zimmerman began the incident with Trayvon Martin, but in both instances, if Zimmerman/this Cop simply leave the people who were doing NOTHING wrong alone, NOBODY DIES. It's that simple.

PostPosted: Thu August 14, 2014 11:07 pm 
I've been POOSSTTIiiEEnngeeaahh

I like this Orpheus account

PostPosted: Thu August 14, 2014 11:11 pm 
Misplaced My Sponge

where did i say that you said they were. i was pointing out both instances arent ok

the cops shouldnt be in swat gear/riot gear

the people should not be looting and setting things on fire

neither instance is making the other side stand down

PostPosted: Thu August 14, 2014 11:12 pm 
Poster of the Year

they really, really shouldn't be harassing the press

PostPosted: Thu August 14, 2014 11:14 pm 
Mind Your Tanners

The press are the worst

PostPosted: Thu August 14, 2014 11:14 pm 
Misplaced My Sponge

cutuphalfdead wrote:
they really, really shouldn't be harassing the press

It's certainly stupid of them but I resent the idea that a press badge should be a magical shield against the indignities all the little people have to face.

PostPosted: Thu August 14, 2014 11:17 pm 
Poster of the Year

No, a properly identified member of the press should be able to report on public demonstrations and clashes with the police without fear of intimidation and outright harassment/assault.

PostPosted: Thu August 14, 2014 11:18 pm 
Future Drummer

Thanks dude. If I had to guess I'd say I have had more personal relationships with black people than most on this board. Not saying that judgmentally, just seems to be the truth from what I've gathered. So comments like "black people are animals," "we should put walls around the black neighborhoods" obviously bother me on a philosophical level, but it's more personal as well. I mentored a kid that was part of the socioeconomic group that these hateful posts are made about: very poor, very southern, what most people would call "ghetto." Watched him grow from being a nine-year old in those little sweat pants all kids wear to a 14-year old before he moved away and we kinda grew apart. Right now he's 18, the same as Mike Brown and Trayvon were, and I often find myself thinking about him and checking his facebook to make sure he's ok. So this shit really, really bothers me and I have to speak up about it when I have the opportunity.

PostPosted: Thu August 14, 2014 11:54 pm 
Future Drummer

Orpheus wrote:
.. comments like "black people are animals," "we should put walls around the black neighborhoods" obviously bother me on a philosophical level, but it's more personal as well...

Bad news man, turns out you may be a decent person.

PostPosted: Fri August 15, 2014 12:07 am 
Future Drummer

Right? :haha:

PostPosted: Fri August 15, 2014 1:22 am 
Broken Tamborine

I remember the first time I learned about quotas and how all cops have them. In fact, my friend's father was a police officer and told him that if any cop says he doesn't have a quota, he's full of shit. Anyway, I remember having this thought: Why don't they have quotas for helping people?

If a cop is chasing a car down for speeding on the highway, and passes a pulled over vehicle with smoke coming out of the trunk, is he really letting the law-breaker go to help those people? And can you really blame him? The quota system creates this narrative: people are bad and you need to punish them. If you don't punish enough people, you are going to be in trouble. It just reinforces this mentality that people are law breakers.

It's the system, man...

PostPosted: Fri August 15, 2014 1:24 am 
Poster of the Year

but think of all the money they'd lose if they only issued tickets when it was necessary

PostPosted: Fri August 15, 2014 1:32 am 
Broken Tamborine

cutuphalfdead wrote:
but think of all the money they'd lose if they only issued tickets when it was necessary

Did thodoks tell you to turn this into an economics argument?

PostPosted: Fri August 15, 2014 1:32 am 
Gone

I have personally seen the numbers at my county's sheriff's dept trust me, some of these guys really do not do a damn thing all day long. It was actually pretty hilarious and embarrassing how little some of those guys did during a year. The whole quota narrative is just something for people to bitch about mostly...

Last edited by verb_to_trust on Fri August 15, 2014 1:38 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri August 15, 2014 1:34 am 
Broken Tamborine

If only more cops could be lazy like verb's buddies, the world would be a better place.

PostPosted: Fri August 15, 2014 1:38 am 
Gone

All I'm saying is that 'Quotas' don't really exist in the context you guys are framing them in. Sure, they keep statistics... but Officer Friendly isn't getting fired if he doesn't write X amount of tickets in a month.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 5262 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10 ... 264  Next

Board index » Word on the Street » News & Debate