The board's server will undergo upgrade maintenance tonight, Nov 5, 2014, beginning approximately around 10 PM ET. Prepare for some possible down time during this process.
FAQ    Search

Board index » Word on the Street » News & Debate

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 5256 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 263  Next
 Post subject: Re: Cops Are The Worst
PostPosted: Wed August 13, 2014 11:04 pm 
Misplaced My Sponge

broken iris wrote:
So... surprisingly little action in this thread this week.

Just a couple of cops on administrative leave for shootings that will be quietly determined to be justified.

In other news, Stockton, CA brings us this tale of incompetence rather than malice: http://www.sacbee.com/2014/08/12/6621204/police-gunfire-killed-stockton.html

The math:
Bad guys fire 100 rounds
Cops fire 600 rounds

The score: 2 dead bad guys, one dead hostage shot 10 times by police

PostPosted: Wed August 13, 2014 11:42 pm 
Future Drummer

McParadigm wrote:
This one has had me thinking less about cops and more about how strange it is that America seems to be more racist today than it was ten years ago.

Is it though? We are in a unique combination of a long-lasting recession and major demographic shift at the same time. Add to that the rise of acceptance of thug culture in the mainstream media and it's not unreasonable to think that many people would tie these things together. Especially when you mix in the ability of social media to create 'echo chambers' for ideas of fear and blame that would otherwise die by common sense and life experience.

PostPosted: Thu August 14, 2014 2:29 am 
Future Drummer

I think racism and misogyny have had a similar trajectory lately in that while there are probably less people overall that engage in them, the ones that that do are getting worse and worse. Kind of like how an animal gets craziest when it's cornered. Some of the shit I have seen men who are supposed to be my "peers" say lately (about women especially) is just insane.

PostPosted: Thu August 14, 2014 2:48 am 
I've been POOSSTTIiiEEnngeeaahh

I think the internet has provided a stage for otherwise quiet people to display their cowardice and ignorance by sounding or acting even more profane in regards to race and sex than past generations did, even though actual racism was much more prevalent in society then as opposed to now.

PostPosted: Thu August 14, 2014 7:31 am 
NYUCK NYUCK NYUCK

http://www.msnbc.com/msnbc/eyewitness-m ... g-missouri

Absolutely disgusting

PostPosted: Thu August 14, 2014 7:43 am 
I've been POOSSTTIiiEEnngeeaahh

Ugh. Heartbreaking. Cops in St. Louis are notorious for being complete assholes, but this... Ugh.

PostPosted: Thu August 14, 2014 7:45 am 
Future Drummer

How are young black men supposed to feel, after this, after Trayvon, after the kid who got in a wreck and was shot while he pleaded for assistance, other than that their lives are absolutely worthless? White dudes can walk into a Jack N' The Box with fucking AR-15s drawn, causing the employees to run to the freezer in fear for their lives (THIS ACTUALLY HAPPENED) and face virtually no consequences, while this kid, who was UNARMED, doing NOTHING WRONG, gets gunned down in the street? And not only are there people who don't care, there are people who are actively celebrating this shit! As if he deserved it just for being who he was! I feel like we are actually going backwards sometimes. Good god.

PostPosted: Thu August 14, 2014 10:31 am 
Future Drummer

Orpheus wrote:
How are young black men supposed to feel, after this, after Trayvon, after the kid who got in a wreck and was shot while he pleaded for assistance, other than that their lives are absolutely worthless? White dudes can walk into a Jack N' The Box with fucking AR-15s drawn, causing the employees to run to the freezer in fear for their lives (THIS ACTUALLY HAPPENED) and face virtually no consequences, while this kid, who was UNARMED, doing NOTHING WRONG, gets gunned down in the street? And not only are there people who don't care, there are people who are actively celebrating this shit! As if he deserved it just for being who he was! I feel like we are actually going backwards sometimes. Good god.

We should reserve judgement until the investigations are complete, but yeah. What's going on is shocking, partially because of the tragedies involved and partially because this has been happening for years and even with a more progressive America being born, society has tended to look the other way as some of the most vulnerable amongst us suffer. Just last week a young black man was shot and killed in a big-box store because he was carrying a gun. A toy gun he was taking to the register to purchase. That's how powerful this bigoted fear the police have has become, the sight of a black man in America with a toy weapon is enough to justify killing.

There is a Libertarian author (and kind of a d-bag) that lived near me for a while who wrote a book that's getting a a lot of traction with all this called "Rise of the Warrior Cop". There are some pretty shocking tales in there.

PostPosted: Thu August 14, 2014 10:49 am 
An enigma of a man shaped hole in the wall between reality and the soul of the devil.

But it seems the cops are even harassing and attacking whites lately. Not to the same degree as blacks, but its more than just racism. There seems to be something else going on. Militarism and complete lack of accountability is creating a giant gang of heavily armed thugs.

This needs to be standard averywhere:
http://www.theguardian.com/world/2013/n ... nts-rialto

“And truly, if life had no purpose, and I had to choose nonsense, this would be the most desirable nonsense for me as well."

PostPosted: Thu August 14, 2014 12:08 pm 
Misplaced My Sponge

as others have said, i will wait till the investigation is completed before passing judgement

it does boggle my mind that when something like this happens every screams dont trust the police, they are all thugs etc and everyone believes they are justified
when a cop sees someone dressed like a thug and assumes it he is barraged with scorn for doing so

yes cops should have a higher standard but at the same time they are only human

take away the titles on either side (thug or cop) and after the other side has labeled you that for so long are you not going to act out against it?

not sure who this guy is but he makes some valid points

https://t.co/vdTecictsm

PostPosted: Thu August 14, 2014 12:57 pm 
Poster of the Year

Why do they continue to think that harassing the press will make them look better?

http://www.bostonglobe.com/news/nation/ ... story.html

Quote:
FERGUSON, Mo. — For the past week in Ferguson, reporters have been using the McDonald’s a few blocks from the scene of Michael Brown’s shooting as a staging area. Demonstrations have blown up each night nearby. But inside there’s WiFi and outlets, so it’s common for reporters to gather there.

That was the case Wednesday. My phone was just about to die, so as I charged it, I used the time to respond to people on Twitter and do a little bit of a Q&A since I wasn’t out there covering the protests.

As I sat there, many armed officers came in — some who were dressed as normal officers, others who were dressed with more gear.

Initially, both Ryan Reilly of the Huffington Post and I were asked for identification. I was wearing my lanyard, but Ryan asked why he had to show his ID. They didn’t press the point, but one added that if we called 911, no one would answer.

Then they walked away. Moments later, the police re-emerged, telling us that we had to leave. I pulled my phone out and began recording video.

An officer with a large weapon came up to me and said, ‘‘Stop recording.’’

I said, ‘‘Officer, do I not have the right to record you?’’

He backed off but told me to hurry up. So I gathered my notebook and pens with my hand while recording him with the other hand.

As I exited, I saw Ryan to my left, having a similar argument with two officers. I recorded him, too, and that angered the officer. As I made my way toward the door, the officers gave me conflicting information.

One instructed me to exit to my left. As I turned left, another officer emerged, blocking my path.

‘‘Go another way,’’ he said.

As I turned, my backpack, which was slung over one shoulder, began to slip. I said, ‘‘Officers, let me just gather my bag.’’ As I did, one of them said, ‘‘Okay, let’s take him.’’

Multiple officers grabbed me. I tried to turn my back to them to assist them in arresting me. I dropped the things from my hands.

‘‘My hands are behind my back,’’ I said. ‘‘I’m not resisting. I’m not resisting.’’ At which point one officer said: ‘‘You’re resisting. Stop resisting.’’

That was when I was most afraid — more afraid than of the tear gas and rubber bullets.

As they took me into custody, the officers slammed me into a soda machine, at one point setting off the Coke dispenser. They put plastic cuffs on me, then they led me out the door.

I could see Ryan still talking to an officer. I said: ‘‘Ryan, tweet that they’re arresting me, tweet that they’re arresting me.’’

He didn’t have an opportunity, because he was arrested as well.

The police led us outside to a police van. Inside, there was a large man sitting on the floor between the two benches. He began screaming: ‘‘I can’t breathe! Call a paramedic! Call a paramedic!’’

Ryan and I asked the officers if they intended to help the man. They said he was fine. The screaming went on for the 10 to 15 minutes we stood outside the van.

‘‘I’m going to die!’’ he screamed. ‘‘I’m going to die! I can’t breathe! I’m going to die!’’

Eventually a police car arrived. A woman — with a collar identifying her as a member of the clergy — sat in the back. Ryan and I crammed in next to her, and we took the three-minute ride to the Ferguson Police Department. The woman sang hymns throughout the ride.

Throughout this time, we asked the officers for badge numbers. We asked to speak to a supervising officer. We asked why we were being detained. We were told: trespassing in a McDonald’s.

‘‘I hope you’re happy with yourself,’’ one officer told me. And I responded: ‘‘This story’s going to get out there. It’s going to be on the front page of The Washington Post tomorrow.’’

And he said, ‘‘Yeah, well, you’re going to be in my jail cell tonight.’’

Once at the station, we were processed, our pockets emptied. No mug shots. They removed our restraints and put us in a holding cell. Ryan was able to get ahold of his dad. I called my mom, but I couldn’t get through. I couldn’t remember any phone numbers.

RELATED: Huffington Post on the arrests of Ryan Reilly and Wesley Lowery

We were in there for what felt like 10 or 15 minutes. Then the processing officer came in.

‘‘Who’s media?’’ he asked.

We said we were. And the officer said we were both free to go. We asked to speak to a commanding officer. We asked to see an arrest report. No report, the officer told us, and no, they wouldn’t provide any names.

I asked if there would ever be a report. He came back with a case number and said a report would be available in a week or two.

‘‘The chief thought he was doing you two a favor,’’ he said.

The following is a statement on the incident from Washington Post Executive Editor Martin D. Baron:

Wesley has briefed us on what occurred, and there was absolutely no justification for his arrest.

He was illegally instructed to stop taking video of officers. Then he followed officers’ instructions to leave a McDonald’s — and after contradictory instructions on how to exit, he was slammed against a soda machine and then handcuffed. That behavior was wholly unwarranted and an assault on the freedom of the press to cover the news. The physical risk to Wesley himself is obvious and outrageous.

After being placed in a holding cell, he was released with no charges and no explanation. He was denied information about the names and badge numbers of those who arrested him.

We are relieved that Wesley is going to be OK. We are appalled by the conduct of police officers involved.

The Ferguson Police Department did not immediately respond to a request for comment on Lowery’s detention.

Wesley Lowery is a reporter for the Washington Post and formerly of The Boston Globe covering the protests in Ferguson, Mo.

PostPosted: Thu August 14, 2014 1:35 pm 
A Return To Form

“Never pick a fight with a man who buys ink by the barrel and paper by the ton.”

PostPosted: Thu August 14, 2014 3:46 pm 
NYUCK NYUCK NYUCK

The investigation will uphold the status quo and sweep the pesky black corpses under the rug.

PostPosted: Thu August 14, 2014 4:16 pm 
I Have A Third Nipple

theplatypus wrote:
The investigation will uphold the status quo and sweep the pesky black corpses under the rug.

Or left out in the street for vultures, whatever works.

PostPosted: Thu August 14, 2014 5:15 pm 
NYUCK NYUCK NYUCK

Sometimes Unfortunate Things Happen In The Heat Of A 400-Year-Old Legacy Of Racism

http://www.theonion.com/articles/someti ... :1:Default

PostPosted: Thu August 14, 2014 5:20 pm 
NEVER STOP JAMMING!

theplatypus wrote:
Sometimes Unfortunate Things Happen In The Heat Of A 400-Year-Old Legacy Of Racism

http://www.theonion.com/articles/someti ... :1:Default

http://www.theonion.com/articles/police-officer-doesnt-see-a-difference-between-bla,36683/

“As an officer of the law, I am committed to administering justice swiftly and even-handedly, regardless of whether the suspect has dark skin or really dark skin”

PostPosted: Thu August 14, 2014 5:30 pm 
Gone

theplatypus wrote:
http://www.msnbc.com/msnbc/eyewitness-michael-brown-fatal-shooting-missouri

Absolutely disgusting

I know. All these people making assumptions on what may or may not have happened. I think I'm going to be sick

PostPosted: Thu August 14, 2014 5:31 pm 
Gone

http://www.washingtonpost.com/news/the-watch/wp/2014/08/13/tiny-georgia-police-department-posts-terrifying-swat-video/

PostPosted: Thu August 14, 2014 5:59 pm 
Misplaced My Sponge

verb_to_trust wrote:
theplatypus wrote:
http://www.msnbc.com/msnbc/eyewitness-michael-brown-fatal-shooting-missouri

Absolutely disgusting

I know. All these people making assumptions on what may or may not have happened. I think I'm going to be sick

It's curious how much more forthcoming the police are in non-officer related shootings. Its almost as if they try to bias the public against non-cops and rely on public ignorance and ambiguity as a defense for their own. I suppose there are theoretical scenarios where this shooting is justified, but I don't buy it. Fuck this cop. Seems pretty clear he escalated the situation and couldn't handle it.

PostPosted: Thu August 14, 2014 6:03 pm 
Misplaced My Sponge

verb_to_trust wrote:

terrifying?

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 5256 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 263  Next

Board index » Word on the Street » News & Debate