The board's server will undergo upgrade maintenance tonight, Nov 5, 2014, beginning approximately around 10 PM ET. Prepare for some possible down time during this process.
FAQ    Search

Board index » Word on the Street » News & Debate

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 5262 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 244, 245, 246, 247, 248, 249, 250 ... 264  Next
 Post subject: Re: Cops Are The Worst
PostPosted: Sat February 12, 2022 7:57 pm 
Future Drummer

BurtReynolds wrote:
Rob wrote:
I didn't say she was a lunatic, I said maybe she said some wild, crazy shit. Again, we only know parts of the story. Maybe the cop showed up and saw a 40 year old woman in pajamas, looking for her viral video, and based on the comment thought it was ok. Or maybe she backed away slowly and went back to alert others to keep an eye on her. So many missing details...

No, you literally called her a lunatic.

In a non-hypothetical way? Where? (and do you mean "Karen-type" crazy or real crazy)

PostPosted: Sat February 12, 2022 7:58 pm 
An enigma of a man shaped hole in the wall between reality and the soul of the devil.

Rob wrote:
BurtReynolds wrote:
Rob wrote:
I didn't say she was a lunatic, I said maybe she said some wild, crazy shit. Again, we only know parts of the story. Maybe the cop showed up and saw a 40 year old woman in pajamas, looking for her viral video, and based on the comment thought it was ok. Or maybe she backed away slowly and went back to alert others to keep an eye on her. So many missing details...

No, you literally called her a lunatic.

In a non-hypothetical way? Where? (and do you mean "Karen-type" crazy or real crazy)

I don't know. What did you mean when you called her a lunatic?

“And truly, if life had no purpose, and I had to choose nonsense, this would be the most desirable nonsense for me as well."

PostPosted: Sat February 12, 2022 7:59 pm 
Future Drummer

BurtReynolds wrote:
But yes, maybe this is a deepfake using crisis actors created by Vladimir Putin. We just don't know! Who can say? We can't form any opinions whatsoever! We can't discuss any hypotheticals!

This is good, because half my point has been about taking this video way too far. We've all shared our opinions, and yours allege police states and now joke about Russian propaganda. I'm just asking about why the cop showed up.

PostPosted: Sat February 12, 2022 8:01 pm 
An enigma of a man shaped hole in the wall between reality and the soul of the devil.

just asking questions, huh? Just unbiased curiosity!

“And truly, if life had no purpose, and I had to choose nonsense, this would be the most desirable nonsense for me as well."

PostPosted: Sat February 12, 2022 8:01 pm 
Future Drummer

She's a "lunatic" like the ones you see on FB all the time looking for this shit. I don't know if she's crazy for real or not. I just want to know what she said before drawing all these conclusions.

PostPosted: Sat February 12, 2022 8:02 pm 
Future Drummer

You're not showing much curiosity, and are showing lots of bias.

PostPosted: Sat February 12, 2022 8:02 pm 

You say it's crazy to call it a police state, but you can't even define what a police state is!

PostPosted: Sat February 12, 2022 8:04 pm 

Rob wrote:
You're not showing much curiosity, and are showing lots of bias.

I keep asking you questions, trying to figure out what you actually believe, but you keep moving the goalposts and equivocating.

You know what I believe. I don't think I can be any more clear.

PostPosted: Sat February 12, 2022 8:05 pm 
Future Drummer

Cuba is a police state. My parents were born there and talk about it all the time. Not sure the police there hand you a card and TELL YOU that they are slowing going to leave.

PostPosted: Sat February 12, 2022 8:11 pm 

Rob wrote:
Cuba is a police state. My parents were born there and talk about it all the time. Not sure the police there hand you a card and TELL YOU that they are slowing going to leave.

Good! A baseline has been established!

But can't a police state take on different characteristics? I can totally envision a kinder, gentler police state. I can see movements towards (or away from) police states. I can recognize elements of police states in our societies.

PostPosted: Sat February 12, 2022 8:24 pm 
Future Drummer

I thought we were trying to establish whether or not Canada had become a police state based on that mostly context-less video? Are you behind on your own argument?

PostPosted: Sat February 12, 2022 8:34 pm 

Rob wrote:
I thought we were trying to establish whether or not Canada had become a police state based on that mostly context-less video?

You thought wrong.

Quote:
Are you behind on your own argument?

What's my argument?

PostPosted: Sat February 12, 2022 8:40 pm 
Future Drummer

This seems to be your argument. You were never able to know what she said online, or if the police were actually doing this to other people at any scale.

BurtReynolds wrote:
Rob wrote:
Burt...

1. The cop looked threatening? Y/N

2. The resident couldn't wait for this shit, posted it right away. Y/N

3. This is remotely close to looking like a police state. Y/N

1. No, but the idea of cops monitoring your posts and then sending someone to "warn" you about it is pretty fucked up. it's obviously a threat to stop doing what she's doing.

2. So? If that's true, what does that change?

3. Can you describe what you think a police state looks like?

PostPosted: Sat February 12, 2022 8:52 pm 
Mind Your Tanners

I don't know that I approve of/accept any of this, but I expect the monitoring to happen because I believe it to be public information.

And since we don't know what the group was advocating for, promoting, and seeking to do within their group that seems like an important detail pertaining to police involvement. Have there ever been circumstances that police (in the US) have done anything like this?

Maybe that's new, but the monitoring of the internet is moot in my mind because we all know it's already happening.

PostPosted: Sat February 12, 2022 9:09 pm 

Rob wrote:
This seems to be your argument. You were never able to know what she said online, or if the police were actually doing this to other people at any scale.

BurtReynolds wrote:
Rob wrote:
Burt...

1. The cop looked threatening? Y/N

2. The resident couldn't wait for this shit, posted it right away. Y/N

3. This is remotely close to looking like a police state. Y/N

1. No, but the idea of cops monitoring your posts and then sending someone to "warn" you about it is pretty fucked up. it's obviously a threat to stop doing what she's doing.

2. So? If that's true, what does that change?

3. Can you describe what you think a police state looks like?

So? You asked me what it looked like in the video. I told you, and then told you why I have a problem with that, and why the cop is likely in the wrong (conditional on the facts.) The longer video backs that up even further, showing that they were there because of facebook activity, and I told you why it's wrong whether the woman is dangerous or not (for different reasons). For the purposes of my argument, it doesn't matter if it's happening at scale.

Though I will take back "obviously". Apparently it's not that obvious to some people.

You were mainly reacting to #policestate, which is hyperbolic sure, but hardly surprising given it's a twitter hashtag, and you couldn't really back up anything you were claiming. Both the original tweet and the quote tweet are pretty reasoned otherwise. It is dangerous. Sorry but I think they are likely right.

PostPosted: Sat February 12, 2022 9:17 pm 
Future Drummer

BurtReynolds wrote:
You were mainly reacting to #policestate, which is hyperbolic sure, but hardly surprising given it's a twitter hashtag, and you couldn't really back up anything you were claiming. Both the original tweet and the quote tweet are pretty reasoned otherwise. It is dangerous. Sorry but I think they are likely right.

I didn't claim anything, and answered your hypotheticals with real answers. Again, I said we don't fully know why this visit happened, and suggested that I might agree with you if I had more info.

PostPosted: Sat February 12, 2022 9:22 pm 
Gone

Rob wrote:
She's a "lunatic" like the ones you see on FB all the time looking for this shit. I don't know if she's crazy for real or not. I just want to know what she said before drawing all these conclusions.

Does it really matter what she said? She’s either a threat to self or others and should be taken into custody, or the police shouldn’t be there at all. This “Ope, soorry, just here to educate you on your rights” routine is fucked.

PostPosted: Sat February 12, 2022 9:25 pm 
Future Drummer

macphisto wrote:
Rob wrote:

Does it really matter what she said? She’s either a threat to self or others and should be taken into custody, or the police shouldn’t be there at all. This “Ope, soorry, just here to educate you on your rights” routine is fucked.

Right, no middle ground at all, like "let's check it out."

PostPosted: Sat February 12, 2022 9:27 pm 
Future Drummer

And yes, it matters what she said. Did you skip these last 3 awful pages?

PostPosted: Sat February 12, 2022 9:28 pm 
Gone

Rob wrote:
macphisto wrote:
Rob wrote:

Right, no middle ground at all, like "let's check it out."

That’s correct. I’m sure you’ll remain logically consistent if someone posting angrily about police killing a black man get a friendly visit to remind them that looting and arson are illegal.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 5262 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 244, 245, 246, 247, 248, 249, 250 ... 264  Next

Board index » Word on the Street » News & Debate