The board's server will undergo upgrade maintenance tonight, Nov 5, 2014, beginning approximately around 10 PM ET. Prepare for some possible down time during this process.
FAQ    Search

Board index » Word on the Street » News & Debate

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 5262 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 212, 213, 214, 215, 216, 217, 218 ... 264  Next
 Post subject: Re: Cops Are The Worst
PostPosted: Wed April 14, 2021 12:22 am 
Future Drummer

Bi_3 wrote:
I guess this adds to why the cops decided to apprehend:

https://nypost.com/2021/04/13/daunte-wr ... ed-by-cop/

Decided to apprehend is good. I doubt anyone will dispute that. I also assume no one thinks anything that happened (including the allegations in the link) warrant death. We need to have cops who can handle this situation without forgetting which side the gun is on. That’s first.

verb_to_trust wrote:
Yeah that makes total sense. Let's not hold anyone in jail anymore, release them all on notice to appear, issue a bunch of warrants after they blow off court, have the police encounter the absconders during traffic stops, and then expect them to deal with people who don't want to go to jail without any means of protection.

Surveys routinely show that this view is not popular at all. Not sure why it’s taken so seriously.

PostPosted: Wed April 14, 2021 12:26 am 
Gone

Rob wrote:
Bi_3 wrote:

Decided to apprehend is good. I doubt anyone will dispute that. I also assume no one thinks anything that happened (including the allegations in the link) warrant death. We need to have cops who can handle this situation without forgetting which side the gun is on. That’s first.

verb_to_trust wrote:
Yeah that makes total sense. Let's not hold anyone in jail anymore, release them all on notice to appear, issue a bunch of warrants after they blow off court, have the police encounter the absconders during traffic stops, and then expect them to deal with people who don't want to go to jail without any means of protection.

Surveys routinely show that this view is not popular at all. Not sure why it’s taken so seriously.

The cops didn't "decide to apprehend" there was an active warrant on a robbery charge. They don't get to send him on his way after reminding him to get new tags.

And

Illinois just passed a woke crime bill that eliminates cash bond so someone must think it's a good idea.

PostPosted: Wed April 14, 2021 12:33 am 
Future Drummer

verb_to_trust wrote:
Rob wrote:
Bi_3 wrote:

verb_to_trust wrote:

The cops didn't "decide to apprehend" there was an active warrant on a robbery charge. They don't get to send him on his way after reminding him to get new tags.

And

Illinois just passed a woke crime bill that eliminates cash bond so someone must think it's a good idea.

Ha, I misread your post to mean empty the jails, like in general. I see what you mean now.

But they did make the decision to apprehend (as was their responsibility) and they failed. And all I’m saying is that there are too many examples of this now. We all get that the job is hard. Maybe they need more training. That’s what they tell other workers when people think they’re doing a bad job.

PostPosted: Wed April 14, 2021 1:04 am 
Mind Your Tanners

verb_to_trust wrote:
elliseamos wrote:
Since watching the body cam video I'm particularly confused by 2 things:

Why did they stop cuffing him?
Why did he jump back into his car?

I watch the scene and it just seems strange.

I'm assuming because he didn't want to go to jail?
Sure. Obviously.

When I watch it it seems like things are going smooth, calm and then they stop cuffing him. The police woman reaches out like she's stopping the other officer from finishing with the cuffs. Then Daunte rips free and jumps in the car. As if something suddenly changed. It's strange to me.

PostPosted: Wed April 14, 2021 5:32 am 
mXn

elliseamos wrote:
verb_to_trust wrote:
elliseamos wrote:

Sure. Obviously.

When I watch it it seems like things are going smooth, calm and then they stop cuffing him. The police woman reaches out like she's stopping the other officer from finishing with the cuffs. Then Daunte rips free and jumps in the car. As if something suddenly changed. It's strange to me.

It looked to me (watched it only once) like the first cop was having trouble getting the cuffs on by himself. Like maybe couldn’t get them on over Wright’s jacket sleeves. Like, would have cuffed him if he could have but needed another set of hands to do the cuffs while he used his own hands to hold Wright’s arms in place.

PostPosted: Wed April 14, 2021 5:51 am 
Misplaced My Sponge

Bammer wrote:
elliseamos wrote:
verb_to_trust wrote:
elliseamos wrote:

Sure. Obviously.

It looked to me (watched it only once) like the first cop was having trouble getting the cuffs on by himself. Like maybe couldn’t get them on over Wright’s jacket sleeves. Like, would have cuffed him if he could have but needed another set of hands to do the cuffs while he used his own hands to hold Wright’s arms in place.

It doesn't help that cops normally only have an initial fitness requirement during training, without yearly requalifications. If all cops were jacked, we would probably have fewer of these issues. That sort of requirement is ananthema to diversity targets, so it'll never be implemented.

Separate from all that, if an arrestee is really resistant, it can take 3 or more cops to get them in cuffs.

PostPosted: Wed April 14, 2021 10:11 am 
Mind Your Tanners

simple schoolboy wrote:
Bammer wrote:
elliseamos wrote:
verb_to_trust wrote:
elliseamos wrote:

Sure. Obviously.

It doesn't help that cops normally only have an initial fitness requirement during training, without yearly requalifications. If all cops were jacked, we would probably have fewer of these issues. That sort of requirement is ananthema to diversity targets, so it'll never be implemented.

Separate from all that, if an arrestee is really resistant, it can take 3 or more cops to get them in cuffs.

Cool story.

Have you watched the video? The scene is anything but resistant until this awkward pause, delay with the cuffs.

Anyway, what a shitshow. I'm sad for everybody involved.

PostPosted: Wed April 14, 2021 11:52 am 
Looks Like a Cat

elliseamos wrote:

Anyway, what a shitshow.

Protestors were outside her home last night, which is now fenced in and patrolled by the National Guard, as neighbors flee the area for the safety of their families:

https://www.wsj.com/articles/minneapolis-area-rocked-by-more-protests-after-police-killing-of-daunte-wright-11618323151

Makes you wonder if these politicians will be held responsible for inciting riots and violence or if that charge is reserved for He Who Shall Not Be Named.

edit: here's her house early this AM, no Guard in sight:

PostPosted: Wed April 14, 2021 6:09 pm 
See you in another life, brother

Amazing timing on the news that the cop who shot Ashli Babbitt won't be charged.

PostPosted: Wed April 14, 2021 7:25 pm 
Looks Like a Cat

Pray for our farmers.

PostPosted: Wed April 14, 2021 7:50 pm 
Gone

Stupid cop needs to learn to deescalate. ACAB!

PostPosted: Wed April 14, 2021 8:01 pm 
Mind Your Tanners

Man, it's almost like all these people having guns (or potentially having guns in Daunte's situation) is dangerous.

So complicated. What with all these good guys around.

PostPosted: Wed April 14, 2021 8:07 pm 
Mind Your Tanners

Confessions of a Former Bastard Cop

PostPosted: Wed April 14, 2021 9:58 pm 
Gone

elliseamos wrote:
Man, it's almost like all these people having guns (or potentially having guns in Daunte's situation) is dangerous.

It's really cool you and Daunte are on a first name basis

PostPosted: Thu April 15, 2021 12:20 am 
Mind Your Tanners

verb_to_trust wrote:
elliseamos wrote:

:roll:

Awesome rebuttal. Really advancing the conversation, Mr. To_Trust.

PostPosted: Thu April 15, 2021 4:33 pm 
Troglodyte
 WWW  Profile

verb_to_trust wrote:
elliseamos wrote:

I wish you'd give me a chance to use some of the other fallacy videos.

PostPosted: Thu April 15, 2021 7:18 pm 
The Master

video's dropping in about 15 minutes

PostPosted: Thu April 15, 2021 7:22 pm 
Gone

We're all huddled in the basement over at Liars Club if you want to join us Spike. Should be safe here.

PostPosted: Thu April 15, 2021 7:26 pm 
The Master

i was going to cruise down to jackson park to see the cherry blossoms, but between this and the fucking LSD bridge being closed, my regular routes are fucked.

PostPosted: Thu April 15, 2021 8:08 pm 
Looks Like a Cat

Shooting the kid after he threw the gun down and was starting to raise his hands is not a good look for Chicago PD.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 5262 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 212, 213, 214, 215, 216, 217, 218 ... 264  Next

Board index » Word on the Street » News & Debate