The board's server will undergo upgrade maintenance tonight, Nov 5, 2014, beginning approximately around 10 PM ET. Prepare for some possible down time during this process.
FAQ    Search

Board index » Word on the Street » News & Debate

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 5256 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 237, 238, 239, 240, 241, 242, 243 ... 263  Next
 Post subject: Re: Cops Are The Worst
PostPosted: Wed August 18, 2021 4:05 pm 
Looks Like a Cat

McParadigm wrote:
Bi_3 wrote:
Not saying no is the same as saying yes on policies like this

Not saying no is not the same as saying yes.

Go on....

PostPosted: Wed August 18, 2021 4:43 pm 
NEVER STOP JAMMING!

Bi_3 wrote:
McParadigm wrote:
Bi_3 wrote:

Go on....

Think that pretty well covers it

PostPosted: Wed August 18, 2021 6:35 pm 
Looks Like a Cat

McParadigm wrote:
Bi_3 wrote:
McParadigm wrote:
Bi_3 wrote:

Go on....

Think that pretty well covers it

I feel like I'm about to fall into a semantic motte/bailey, and I think Dr. Kendi would like a word with you on this, but let's press on a bit.

For individuals, I agree. For an organization, generally not. Managers and leaders hold an obligation to ensure things that are done in an organization's name are not against the ethos of that organization. So if your video game company has a "bro" culture that makes employees feel unsafe, you are obligated to stop it once you are made aware, or you will be seen as giving tacit approval. IOW, if a leader does not take action to stop the violating behavior once they are aware, they consent to allowing it. The red team's silence on Trump's lies leading up to the election is another example. By saying "I never claimed he was telling the truth, I just never claimed he was lying" is kinda how the defund thing was treated, but saying "The party never endorsed defunding the police, we simply didnt stop our members for running on that platform". That's not even going into how one might perceptually separate support for defund vs support for BLM in the eyes of the majority of voters.

PostPosted: Thu August 19, 2021 6:40 am 
Misplaced My Sponge

spike wrote:
simple schoolboy wrote:
Are there new policies wherein cops are somehow penalized for doing traffic stops that don't result in citations?

I wouldn't be suprised if some localities did something like this to try to tamp down fishing expeditions based on sterotyping.

My dumbass didn't put on the updated registration sticker, so I got pulled over for going 79 in light traffic (this is often the speed of traffic in Rona times).

Cop couldn't find my driver's license in my trunk, so he let me go with a fixit ticket for my license.

Seems like the real reason for the stop was registration, and as soon as I handed over the registration with current sticker attached, he had to transition to something else.

I get passed on the right with great frequency by those traveling 100mph+ weaving through traffic. I'd get over for them if there weren't three cars in front of me and it would make a difference for them. The cops have a pretty fucked up incentive system where if they try to pull over truly reckless drivers, if they are too disruptive, they have to call off the pursuit. They can earn their jurisdiction an easy $300 for ticketing an (otherwise) law abiding citizen driving the speed of traffic with almost no risk of scandal or injury. Why wouldn't they take the easy route as often as possible?

but you hadn't displayed your updated sticker, so technically, you weren't a law abiding citizen. the cop was doing what he was supposed to do.

The second shoe dropped.

The original 'registration' citation never made it to us.

The car is registered to my wife, so for some reason they couldn't hand anything to me with a citation number on it relating to the registration , I had to divine that there was a citation issued with no physical paperwork.

Anyhow, went to 3 police departments and a courthouse and have to return to a courthouse tomorrow.

Pretty sure they can do this entirely online in Lithuania.

PostPosted: Sat August 21, 2021 5:10 pm 
Looks Like a Cat

Poll: Majority of voters say more police are needed amid rise in crime

Quote:
A vast majority of voters say more police are needed on the street amid concerns over a rise in violent crime across the country, according to a new Harvard CAPS-Harris Poll survey.

Seventy-five percent of respondents said more police are needed on the street while only 25 percent say they do not need more cops on the beat.

Seventy-two percent of voters also said they oppose “defunding the police,” and a slim 52 percent majority said they support the controversial practice of stop and frisk in urban areas to “deter gun crime.” Fifty-six percent also say they oppose eliminating cash bail.

Now that we’re heading back towards sanity on policing, hopefully Culturally Responsive Teaching is next

PostPosted: Sun August 22, 2021 12:31 am 
mXn

Yeah, congrats fucking lunatics on your defund movement. That really worked well.

PostPosted: Mon August 23, 2021 8:08 pm 
Site Admin

There are two aspects that the abolish/defund people seem to be completely out to lunch on:
1. When there's a lack of police, organized crime is going to be right there to fill the void of authority.
2. There's a fair amount of hypocritical overlap between the abolish/defund people and those who want certain laws enforced more harshly (covid restrictions come to mind).

PostPosted: Mon August 23, 2021 8:15 pm 
Misplaced My Sponge

Green Habit wrote:
There are two aspects that the abolish/defund people seem to be completely out to lunch on:
1. When there's a lack of police, organized crime is going to be right there to fill the void of authority.
2. There's a fair amount of hypocritical overlap between the abolish/defund people and those who want certain laws enforced more harshly (covid restrictions come to mind).

Vigilance committees are Lindy. Appropriately, the area that invented them has never been in more need of re-establishing them.

Need to solve the issue of getting all your neighbors to turn off their security cameras when the committees are meting out their 'justice', however.

PostPosted: Wed September 01, 2021 9:37 pm 
Misplaced My Sponge

1https://minnesotareformer.com/2021/09/01/jaleel-stallings-shot-at-the-mpd-a-jury-acquitted-him-of-wrongdoing/?utm_source=fark&utm_medium=website&utm_content=link&ICID=ref_fark

This shouldn't have gone to trial. Good example of why jury trials are arguably better than the continental system.

PostPosted: Wed September 15, 2021 7:27 pm 
Misplaced My Sponge

PostPosted: Wed September 15, 2021 8:06 pm 
Troglodyte
 WWW  Profile

Ha! Holy shit.

PostPosted: Wed September 15, 2021 8:27 pm 
Looks Like a Cat

That should read “the tax payers of Philadelphia..”

PostPosted: Thu September 16, 2021 10:03 pm 
Misplaced My Sponge

https://www.courthousenews.com/top-minnesota-court-tosses-conviction-of-cop-who-shot-911-caller/amp/?__twitter_impression=true

Well, that puts Chauvin's conviction* into question. Does Minnesota have an issue with their manslaughter statute that prompts prosecutors to overcharge or...?

*Oops, forgot about the 2nd degree count as well. So, he gets a couple of years knocked off of his sentence, maybe?

PostPosted: Sat September 18, 2021 12:09 pm 
Looks Like a Cat

San Francisco program will pay at-risk residents $300 each month to reduce violence

https://abc7news.com/san-francisco-dream-keeper-fellowship-crime-prevention-reducing/10991396/

Is there a name for it when you have to pay someone to not hurt you?

PostPosted: Sat September 18, 2021 12:17 pm 
mXn

Bi_3 wrote:
San Francisco program will pay at-risk residents $300 each month to reduce violence

https://abc7news.com/san-francisco-dream-keeper-fellowship-crime-prevention-reducing/10991396/

Is there a name for it when you have to pay someone to not hurt you?

Holy fucking shit.

I mean maybe - MAYBE - you could see “pay criminals not to commit crimes” working if it was focused on theft because of a poverty problem. But for shootings?

When does the fkn colony on Mars open? Sign me up.

PostPosted: Mon September 20, 2021 4:27 pm 
Looks Like a Cat

Harlem residents call for return of NYPD’s controversial plainclothes anti-crime unit

Quote:
HARLEM, Manhattan — Amid an uptick in gun violence, some in Harlem want the NYPD to bring back their controversial plainclothes anti-crime unit, which was disbanded last year after weeks of protests and calls for policing reform.

Villittha Lewis, who’s lived in Harlem for decades, said she hasn’t see gun violence at this level since the 80s. So far this year there have been 35 shootings compared to 26 last year in the confines of the 32nd precinct alone, data shows.

“It’s terrible, it’s very, very terrible and it needs to stop,” she said.

An Uber driver was killed; a teenager was shot in the chest and a woman with a walker was violently robbed.

Chaplain Robert Rice, who spent hours Sunday consoling family members after a pregnant mom was fatally shot, said he’d like to see the unit return.

“We need the plainclothes back out there because we are losing these kids and we’re losing them at a record number,” he said. “Families are crying out to say no more bloodshed.”

Community advocate Alpheaus Marcus wants the unit to return in a responsible way. He said he also wants an aggressive return.”

“Anything short of the stop and frisk because it violated the constitution, but they need to be more of a presence on the streets,” he said.

Has there been any police reform action of the summer of 2020, in even a medium sized metro area out, that has had a positive impact?

PostPosted: Mon September 20, 2021 4:52 pm 
Gone

Bi_3 wrote:
Harlem residents call for return of NYPD’s controversial plainclothes anti-crime unit

Quote:
HARLEM, Manhattan — Amid an uptick in gun violence, some in Harlem want the NYPD to bring back their controversial plainclothes anti-crime unit, which was disbanded last year after weeks of protests and calls for policing reform.

Villittha Lewis, who’s lived in Harlem for decades, said she hasn’t see gun violence at this level since the 80s. So far this year there have been 35 shootings compared to 26 last year in the confines of the 32nd precinct alone, data shows.

“It’s terrible, it’s very, very terrible and it needs to stop,” she said.

An Uber driver was killed; a teenager was shot in the chest and a woman with a walker was violently robbed.

Chaplain Robert Rice, who spent hours Sunday consoling family members after a pregnant mom was fatally shot, said he’d like to see the unit return.

“We need the plainclothes back out there because we are losing these kids and we’re losing them at a record number,” he said. “Families are crying out to say no more bloodshed.”

Community advocate Alpheaus Marcus wants the unit to return in a responsible way. He said he also wants an aggressive return.”

“Anything short of the stop and frisk because it violated the constitution, but they need to be more of a presence on the streets,” he said.

Has there been any police reform action of the summer of 2020, in even a medium sized metro area out, that has had a positive impact?

Ask B

PostPosted: Tue September 21, 2021 3:22 am 
Troglodyte
 WWW  Profile

No.

PostPosted: Tue October 05, 2021 12:59 pm 
Looks Like a Cat

How's that criminal justice reform working out for you NYC?

*potentially NSFW*

Spoiler: show

PostPosted: Wed October 06, 2021 1:56 am 
Mind Your Tanners

Bi_3 wrote:
How's that criminal justice reform working out for you NYC?

*potentially NSFW*

Spoiler: show

I mean, they're obviously the good guys...

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 5256 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 237, 238, 239, 240, 241, 242, 243 ... 263  Next

Board index » Word on the Street » News & Debate