The board's server will undergo upgrade maintenance tonight, Nov 5, 2014, beginning approximately around 10 PM ET. Prepare for some possible down time during this process.
FAQ    Search

Board index » Word on the Street » News & Debate

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 5262 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 233, 234, 235, 236, 237, 238, 239 ... 264  Next
 Post subject: Re: Cops Are The Worst
PostPosted: Tue June 15, 2021 1:35 am 
mXn

Rob wrote:
Bammer wrote:
Leatherhead wrote:
Bammer wrote:
Seattle cop killed last night while off duty and pulled over to help at a car accident scene. After getting out of her own car, she was struck by a passing vehicle (this is on the I-5 freeway). Her personal car was stolen from the scene after she was killed.

But she is a bastard and deserved it, right? So this is all totally cool.

Doesn't sound like an intentional killing, sounds like a tragic incident, then somebody took advantage of the situation. She was off-duty, probably wasn't in uniform. Could've happened to anybody that stopped to help. This story seems irrelevant to the conversation.

Would you have pulled over to help at 1am? No, you wouldn’t have.

Are there people out there who aren’t cops who would? I think we all know there are. His point is that the fact that she was a cop is irrelevant to the conversation, and he’s right.

Whatever it is you’re trying to say, you have done a masterful job of missing my point.

PostPosted: Tue June 15, 2021 1:41 am 
Mind Your Tanners

Bammer wrote:
Rob wrote:
Bammer wrote:
Leatherhead wrote:
Bammer wrote:
Seattle cop killed last night while off duty and pulled over to help at a car accident scene. After getting out of her own car, she was struck by a passing vehicle (this is on the I-5 freeway). Her personal car was stolen from the scene after she was killed.

Doesn't sound like an intentional killing, sounds like a tragic incident, then somebody took advantage of the situation. She was off-duty, probably wasn't in uniform. Could've happened to anybody that stopped to help. This story seems irrelevant to the conversation.

Are there people out there who aren’t cops who would? I think we all know there are. His point is that the fact that she was a cop is irrelevant to the conversation, and he’s right.

Whatever it is you’re trying to say, you have done a masterful job of missing my point.

If the point was the car being stolen, the article I read offered, "Perhaps the only good news in all of this is that the officer’s car was found. However, the thief who stole it is still on the loose."

PostPosted: Tue June 15, 2021 2:58 am 
Gone

What's the worst crime that has ever been committed against you?

PostPosted: Tue June 15, 2021 3:00 am 
mXn

elliseamos wrote:
Bammer wrote:
Rob wrote:
Bammer wrote:
Leatherhead wrote:
Bammer wrote:

If the point was the car being stolen, the article I read offered, "Perhaps the only good news in all of this is that the officer’s car was found. However, the thief who stole it is still on the loose."

Oh my God you could not be further off the scent.

PostPosted: Tue June 15, 2021 1:30 pm 
Future Drummer

What's your intended point, Bammer? You implied that because she was a police officer, she stopped to help. Others said the fact that she was an offier is irrelevant. Help us out.

PostPosted: Tue June 15, 2021 1:44 pm 
mXn

Yes, the manner of her death is coincidental … totally an accident and she was not killed simply because she was a cop. That much is obvious.

My point is that she, like many other cops(!), was a good and helpful person. I don’t have data on this but I have a sneaking suspicion that an off-duty (or retired) cop is juuuusssst a little more likley to pull over and help a stranded motorist on the freeway shoulder in the middle of the night than your average software engineer. Others would make the counterpoint that all cops are bastards.

Oh and then of course the mantra that the only good cop is a dead cop, so yes there are people celebrating her death. Anyone here doing that? I don’t know.

Then something else happened in this thread, and honestly there is no pulling some of you back from the abyss. Imagine being a person who comes upon this tragic scene and instead of calling 9-1-1, you steal the person’s car. Scum of the earth, right? Now imagine being a person who hears this story and reduces the actions of the car thief to “took advantage of the situation.”

PostPosted: Tue June 15, 2021 2:17 pm 
Future Drummer

Bammer wrote:
Yes, the manner of her death is coincidental … totally an accident and she was not killed simply because she was a cop. That much is obvious.

Simply? No, the fact that she was a cop is totally irrelevant.

Quote:
I don’t have data on this but I have a sneaking suspicion that an off-duty (or retired) cop is juuuusssst a little more likley to pull over and help a stranded motorist on the freeway shoulder in the middle of the night than your average software engineer.

You're just projecting, here. Some people are good Samaritans, their chosen profession is irrelevant. I stopped on the highway once when I saw an older lady broken down, and gave her a ride. It's not really worthy of celebration.

Quote:
Oh and then of course the mantra that the only good cop is a dead cop, so yes there are people celebrating her death. Anyone here doing that? I don’t know.

You could find out if anyone is doing that here by reading the thread. I haven't seen it.

PostPosted: Tue June 15, 2021 2:18 pm 
mXn

I meant to say irrelevant. I agree with you there.

PostPosted: Tue June 15, 2021 5:51 pm 
Mind Your Tanners

The person that ran her over was the driver or passenger of one of the cars in the car accident the off-duty-cop stopped to assist with. Not just some rando that came upon the scene. There were other uniformed police on the scene (none of them killed) and she was there helping out colleagues. I think we can assume that the opportunist took the presumably running car to flee the scene because they were drunk/responsible/injured or maybe all 3.

PostPosted: Tue June 15, 2021 6:59 pm 
Misplaced My Sponge

Bammer wrote:
I don’t have data on this but I have a sneaking suspicion that an off-duty (or retired) cop is juuuusssst a little more likley to pull over and help a stranded motorist on the freeway shoulder in the middle of the night than your average software engineer.

I don't know the answer to this, but if you're going to use it as a part of your argument you should probably try to find out whether or not it's true.

PostPosted: Tue June 15, 2021 7:02 pm 
Looks Like a Cat

JuanHamm wrote:
Bammer wrote:

I don't know the answer to this, but if you're going to use it as a part of your argument you should probably try to find out whether or not it's true.

As an average software engineer, I can confirm.

PostPosted: Tue June 15, 2021 10:06 pm 
Rank This Poster

elliseamos wrote:
The person that ran her over was the driver or passenger of one of the cars in the car accident the off-duty-cop stopped to assist with. Not just some rando that came upon the scene. There were other uniformed police on the scene (none of them killed) and she was there helping out colleagues. I think we can assume that the opportunist took the presumably running car to flee the scene because they were drunk/responsible/injured or maybe all 3.

They should've been the 20th call to 9-1-1 about the situation. Getting out of a bad situation in another person's car is the worst thing they could've done.

PostPosted: Thu June 17, 2021 11:20 pm 
Looks Like a Cat

Are you winnin' son?

PostPosted: Fri June 18, 2021 12:13 am 
Mind Your Tanners

Not a gotcha,, but I am asking for a friend:

What are the current numbers for police in different borroughs? Is Manhattan already well manned? I would predict that it is given the expected traffic.

PostPosted: Fri June 18, 2021 12:21 am 
NEVER STOP JAMMING!

lets ask KC..

PostPosted: Fri June 18, 2021 1:03 am 
Looks Like a Cat

doug rr wrote:
lets ask KC..

PostPosted: Fri June 18, 2021 1:52 am 
Mind Your Tanners

doug rr wrote:
lets ask KC..

She'd get the scoop! The whole scoop! And nothing but the scoop!

PostPosted: Fri June 18, 2021 1:39 pm 
Looks Like a Cat

Sign of the times:

Buckhead to vote to separate from Atlanta over crime and policing issues

PostPosted: Fri June 18, 2021 2:05 pm 
Troglodyte
 WWW  Profile

Bi_3 wrote:

Rich white people over reacting to a small uptick in crime after decades of sharp drops that likely doesn't even impact their isolated, uptown section of the city. That is definitely a sign of the times.

PostPosted: Fri June 18, 2021 3:59 pm 
Looks Like a Cat

Siren of the times:

Atlantic City Hopes Blaring Nightly Curfew Sirens Will Help Curb Violence

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 5262 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 233, 234, 235, 236, 237, 238, 239 ... 264  Next

Board index » Word on the Street » News & Debate