The board's server will undergo upgrade maintenance tonight, Nov 5, 2014, beginning approximately around 10 PM ET. Prepare for some possible down time during this process.
FAQ    Search

Board index » Word on the Street » News & Debate

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 5256 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 210, 211, 212, 213, 214, 215, 216 ... 263  Next
 Post subject: Re: Cops Are The Worst
PostPosted: Mon April 12, 2021 3:39 pm 
Troglodyte
 WWW  Profile

verb_to_trust wrote:
I'm sure the ACAB hive mind could figure out how to blame the cop somehow for that one.

You seem to find new enemies that I have to google every week.

PostPosted: Mon April 12, 2021 3:42 pm 
Looks Like a Cat

B wrote:
verb_to_trust wrote:
I'm sure the ACAB hive mind could figure out how to blame the cop somehow for that one.

That acronym has been front and center in this debate for nearly a year now.

search.php?st=0&sk=t&sd=d&sr=posts&keywords=ACAB&start=40

PostPosted: Mon April 12, 2021 3:44 pm 
NEVER STOP JAMMING!

That was a murder, and it was horrible.

Where you lose me is the phrase “In case you are wondering why traffic stops are the way they are, this is why.” What does that mean? That police are aggressive and sometimes violent as a result of the extraordinary danger they face from civilians? In 2019, 89 cops were killed in the line of duty. That same year, 51 people were shot to death at school. Farmers are twice as likely to be killed on the job.

I don’t mean to be dismissive of the dangers police officers face, but rather to be realistic: they have an obligation to not be incautious with the life of the person they are engaged with, and a video like the one above doesn’t invalidate that obligation for any other incident or officer.

What struck me most about that video was that gun violence is rampant in America, and that this officer’s death is a tragic addition to that story.

PostPosted: Mon April 12, 2021 3:48 pm 
Troglodyte
 WWW  Profile

Bi_3 wrote:
B wrote:
verb_to_trust wrote:

By "front and center" you mean 4 RMers used the term in a 4200 post thread? No one gives a fuck what this fringe group thinks.

Besides, you're right, we could protect more cops from white guys with AKs by killing more black men for tinted windows before they get out of their car.

PostPosted: Mon April 12, 2021 3:49 pm 
Gone

We allow people to have an irrational fear of covid, why can't cops get the same courtesy when conducting traffic stops?

PostPosted: Mon April 12, 2021 3:53 pm 
Looks Like a Cat

B wrote:
Bi_3 wrote:
B wrote:
verb_to_trust wrote:

By "front and center" you mean 4 RMers used the term in a 4200 post thread? No one gives a fuck what this fringe group thinks.

Besides, you're right, we could protect more cops from white guys with AKs by killing more black men for tinted windows before they get out of their car.

If you were to review the photo evidence from the violent riots occurring over the last twelve months you would find that acronym not "fringe" at all.

PostPosted: Mon April 12, 2021 3:57 pm 
Gone

Bi_3 wrote:
B wrote:
Bi_3 wrote:
B wrote:
verb_to_trust wrote:

If you were to review the photo evidence from the violent riots occurring over the last twelve months you would find that acronym not "fringe" at all.

I'm actually surprised B doesn't have that one in his repertoire.

PostPosted: Mon April 12, 2021 4:04 pm 
Looks Like a Cat

McParadigm wrote:
That was a murder, and it was horrible.

Where you lose me is the phrase “In case you are wondering why traffic stops are the way they are, this is why.” What does that mean? That police are aggressive and sometimes violent as a result of the extraordinary danger they face from civilians? In 2019, 89 cops were killed in the line of duty. That same year, 51 people were shot to death at school. Farmers are twice as likely to be killed on the job.

I don’t mean to be dismissive of the dangers police officers face, but rather to be realistic: they have an obligation to not be incautious with the life of the person they are engaged with, and a video like the one above doesn’t invalidate that obligation for any other incident or officer.

What struck me most about that video was that gun violence is rampant in America, and that this officer’s death is a tragic addition to that story.

Sure, but as a another data point to consider, three officers were shot but not killed during a traffic stop this morning:

https://www.cnn.com/2021/04/12/us/georg ... index.html

So the threat is absolutely real to officers and though that does not excuse the type of aggression we saw in the recent case of the army medic in Virginia, every stop should be treated as a potentially deadly situation until determined to be otherwise as opposed to assuming it's safe, because only one of those is a reversible decision for the cop.

PostPosted: Mon April 12, 2021 4:08 pm 
Future Drummer

I feel like I keep track of conservative media pretty well, but I've had to look up ACAB every time I saw it here, and I still can't remember. Something about bastards?

Also, I had basically the same thought as McP. Obviously cops face danger, and they should prepare for the worst, but if traffic stops are dangerous because cops are too nervous/anxious expecting stuff like this, that's a real problem. This is not reflective of routine traffic stops - it's that one in a million chance.

PostPosted: Mon April 12, 2021 4:28 pm 
Looks Like a Cat

Rob wrote:
I feel like I keep track of conservative media pretty well, but I've had to look up ACAB every time I saw it here, and I still can't remember. Something about bastards?

Also, I had basically the same thought as McP. Obviously cops face danger, and they should prepare for the worst, but if traffic stops are dangerous because cops are too nervous/anxious expecting stuff like this, that's a real problem. This is not reflective of routine traffic stops - it's that one in a million chance.

Getting killed by a drug dealer with a high powered rifle during a traffic stop is rare, but that's not the point. Here's some data:

https://ucr.fbi.gov/leoka/2018/tables/table-80.xls

Roughly one in ten officers reported being assaulted in the line of duty each year. That is more than frequent enough to presume every situation is dangerous.

PostPosted: Mon April 12, 2021 4:44 pm 
Misplaced My Sponge

Rob wrote:

Assigned Cop At Birth

PostPosted: Mon April 12, 2021 4:47 pm 
Gone

All Cops Are Brutalizers

PostPosted: Mon April 12, 2021 4:48 pm 
Future Drummer

Bi_3 wrote:
Rob wrote:

Getting killed by a drug dealer with a high powered rifle during a traffic stop is rare, but that's not the point. Here's some data:

Roughly one in ten officers reported being assaulted in the line of duty each year. That is more than frequent enough to presume every situation is dangerous.

I get what you're saying, and I am not trying to downplay the danger, but that data you posted showed that 2 of every 3 of those incidents of assault end with no injury to the officer. It's a dangerous job, yes. And everyone, including the officer, is less safe if cops can't maintain the highest of standards.

As the wise Dave Chapelle once said - "that's not a blue life, it's a blue suit. You can take it off any time you want."

PostPosted: Mon April 12, 2021 4:54 pm 
The Master

verb_to_trust wrote:
Bi_3 wrote:
B wrote:
Bi_3 wrote:
B wrote:
verb_to_trust wrote:

I'm actually surprised B doesn't have that one in his repertoire.

isn't that the acronym B kept screwing up? explains the disconnect.

PostPosted: Mon April 12, 2021 4:59 pm 
Future Drummer

McParadigm wrote:
Farmers are twice as likely to be killed on the job.
Farmers are not killed intentionally. They generally killed via workplace health and safety violations (often from their own stupid acts). Far different from how police officers are killed.

Farmers die on the job. Police are killed.

PostPosted: Mon April 12, 2021 5:01 pm 
Looks Like a Cat

Rob wrote:
Bi_3 wrote:
Rob wrote:

I get what you're saying, and I am not trying to downplay the danger, but that data you posted showed that 2 of every 3 of those incidents of assault end with no injury to the officer. It's a dangerous job, yes. And everyone, including the officer, is less safe if cops can't maintain the highest of standards.

As the wise Dave Chapelle once said - "that's not a blue life, it's a blue suit. You can take it off any time you want."

I think we are on the same page here. You cannot reduce the violence inflicted on officers without reducing the violence inflicted by officers.

PostPosted: Mon April 12, 2021 5:17 pm 
Troglodyte
 WWW  Profile

[quote="Bi_3"If you were to review the photo evidence from the violent riots occurring over the last twelve months you would find that acronym not "fringe" at all.[/quote]

ACAB sounds cool, but I'm more of a "We Should Demand More Accountability From The Individuals To Whom We Give Money And A Large Amount Of Power For The Purposes Of Protecting Us" kinda guy.

WSDMAFTHITWWGMAALAOPFTPOPU!!!!

PostPosted: Mon April 12, 2021 6:09 pm 
Mind Your Tanners

Bi_3 wrote:
In case you are wondering why traffics stops are the way they are, this is why:

https://nypost.com/2021/04/11/new-mexic ... top-video/

Video is NSFW or your soul.

Imagine posting this after what happened AGAIN in Minneapolis. Unreal.

PostPosted: Mon April 12, 2021 6:16 pm 
Gone

Mickey wrote:
Bi_3 wrote:

We don't empathize with cops!

PostPosted: Mon April 12, 2021 6:37 pm 
Looks Like a Cat

verb_to_trust wrote:
Mickey wrote:
Bi_3 wrote:

We don't empathize with cops!

He means the rampant rioting, looting, and arson that occurred before any details of the event were released.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 5256 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 210, 211, 212, 213, 214, 215, 216 ... 263  Next

Board index » Word on the Street » News & Debate