The board's server will undergo upgrade maintenance tonight, Nov 5, 2014, beginning approximately around 10 PM ET. Prepare for some possible down time during this process.
FAQ    Search

Board index » Word on the Street » News & Debate

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 425 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 18, 19, 20, 21, 22  Next
 Post subject: Re: Masculism
PostPosted: Tue October 21, 2014 7:04 pm 
An enigma of a man shaped hole in the wall between reality and the soul of the devil.

Stiff Upper Lip is a sure sign of a stroke I think.

“And truly, if life had no purpose, and I had to choose nonsense, this would be the most desirable nonsense for me as well."

PostPosted: Tue October 21, 2014 9:34 pm 
Future Drummer

McParadigm wrote:
Quote:
“How are you feeling, dad?” I asked.

“Better,” he replied. Then he stood up and made his way to the bathroom to die.

A big part of me hopes that, vision fading and lips turning blue, my dad's final thought before submitting to the cold grip of extinction was a gleeful, Haha, I got you, you little shit. If that final word really was the last in his lifetime of unwavering sarcasm, it was—for my money—the single greatest burn I’ve ever heard.

I laughed entirely too hard at this passage, and subsequently felt a little happier than normal.

Surprise therapy.

We should talk about that.

PostPosted: Wed October 22, 2014 4:45 am 
Gone

BurtReynolds wrote:
Stiff Upper Lip is a sure sign of a stroke I think.

:(

PostPosted: Tue October 28, 2014 3:50 pm 
NEVER STOP JAMMING!

Negatives for the US from the 2014 Gender Gap Index.

- Men still die more of pretty much everything.
- Boys are still getting left behind by our educational infrastructure
- The percentage of the male workforce that works menial or low income labor has swollen dramatically in the last 15 years.

PostPosted: Tue October 28, 2014 5:18 pm 
Misplaced My Sponge

McParadigm wrote:
Negatives for the US from the 2014 Gender Gap Index.

- Men still die more of pretty much everything.
- Boys are still getting left behind by our educational infrastructure
- The percentage of the male workforce that works menial or low income labor has swollen dramatically in the last 15 years.

what is going to kill you, mcp? and, on a related note, what makes you swell dramatically?

PostPosted: Tue October 28, 2014 5:26 pm 
NEVER STOP JAMMING!

The future being unknowable, both the trigger for my ending and the cause of my next swelling are yet to be seen.

PostPosted: Tue October 28, 2014 5:32 pm 
Misplaced My Sponge

McParadigm wrote:
The future being unknowable, both the trigger for my ending and the cause of my next swelling are yet to be seen.

3/10

PostPosted: Tue October 28, 2014 5:41 pm 
NEVER STOP JAMMING!

Whatever doesn't kill me only weakens my resolve.

PostPosted: Tue October 28, 2014 7:10 pm 
Misplaced My Sponge

McParadigm wrote:
Whatever doesn't kill me only weakens my resolve.

PostPosted: Tue October 28, 2014 8:38 pm 
Future Drummer

When is one group's good news institutionalized bad new for another group?

- Men currently make up only 45% of the professional and technical workforce and are trrending downward.

- Men are lagging in educational attainment and literacy levels in the 2013-2014 period, and are being disproportionately passed over for workplace promotions.

PostPosted: Wed October 29, 2014 2:59 pm 
Misplaced My Sponge

surfndestroy wrote:
When is one group's good news institutionalized bad new for another group?

PostPosted: Thu October 30, 2014 4:08 pm 
Future Drummer

a translator's apology

PostPosted: Sat November 01, 2014 10:05 am 
A Return To Form

My voice is quite masculine, I suppose.

PostPosted: Sat November 01, 2014 9:27 pm 
post-structuralist

Human Bass wrote:

POTD

Spoiler: show
people change. people stay the same. people are so often disappointing - random PM, person unnamed

PostPosted: Sat November 01, 2014 10:12 pm 
Polluted

malice wrote:
Human Bass wrote:

POTD

PostPosted: Tue December 09, 2014 6:31 pm 
NEVER STOP JAMMING!

Auditing a course for the med school that includes a section on gender-specific health needs. I also happen to be reviewing a research paper for a journal on the impact of gender on school experience.

Some statistics and talking points that will probably generate minimal discussion, but which I found interesting.

Education
Nearly 1 in 5 boys will be prescribed ADHD medication before reaching the age of 20.

Overall, boys represent more than 80% of all behavior or mood altering medications prescribed for children.

They make up nearly 75% of all Special Education students....

....and more than 75% of all discipline cases within schools.

On average, boys score just below girls on standardized reading scores and equal to or better than girls on math and science tests...but their teacher-awarded grades in each of these subjects skew far below their female counterparts.

One study found that boys, on average, received less than half the teacher praise of their female counterparts for the same accomplishments and behaviors.

College trends continue to shift. In the last few years, nearly 50% of all women 18-22 were enrolled in college. Barely a third of men were.

-
Violence and Youth:

Prior to the age of 13, boys are more likely to be victims of every kind of violent crime (sexual crimes not included...see below).

From 1993 to 2003, the nonfatal violent victimization rate for boys ages 12 to 17 was about 50% higher than for girls.

In 2004, boys ages 15 to 19 were five times more likely to die from homicide and seven times more likely to die from a firearm-related incident than girls.

In 2004, rates of suicide for adolescent boys were about three and a half times the rate for adolescent girls.

Boys are 50% more likely to be beaten by their parents, and 85% more likely to be repeatedly beaten. Parental violence towards a child is one of the events that most correlates with violent behaviors later in life.

Depending on the study and social class, parents appear to spend between 10 and 30% less time talking with and interacting with male children than with female children.

Boys represent 25-40% of sexually abused children, yet abusers of boys represent just 12% of convictions.

-
Mortality:

Prostate cancer has more new cases each year and causes nearly as many deaths as breast cancer, but receives 1/5th the insitutional research funding and less than 1/25th the public fundraising. One in 7 men will get prostate cancer in his lifetime.

While the rate of cancers primarily affecting women has decreased, the rate of cancers affecting men have either remained stable or increased.

Overall, male mortality from cancer exeeds female mortality from cancer by nearly 50%.

-
Relationship Violence:

In a 2005 study, 9% of boys and 9% of girls under the age of 23 reported being physically injured by a romantic partner in the last 2 years.

In a longitudinal study of young couples, 31% of men and 44% of women reported perpetrating aggression against their partners in the year prior to marriage. In that same study, 40% of men and 46% of women reported being on the receiving end of partner aggression.

In anonymous surveying, the percentage of men reporting having been on the receiving end of relationship violence was 60% that of women, yet men represent less than 5% of all police domestic violence reports.

Last edited by McParadigm on Tue December 09, 2014 6:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue December 09, 2014 6:37 pm 
Future Drummer

McParadigm wrote:
Auditing a course for the med school that includes a section on gender-specific health needs. I also happen to be reviewing a research paper for a journal on the impact of gender on school experience.

Some statistics and talking points that will probably generate minimal discussion, but which I found interesting.

Education
Nearly 1 in 5 boys will be prescribed ADHD medication before reaching the age of 20.

Overall, boys represent more than 80% of all behavior or mood altering medications prescribed for children.

They make up nearly 75% of all Special Education students....

....and more than 75% of all discipline cases within schools.

On average, boys score just below girls on standardized reading scores and equal to or better than girls on math and science tests...but their teacher-awarded grades in each of these subjects skew far below their female counterparts.

One study found that boys, on average, received less than half the teacher praise of their female counterparts for the same accomplishments and behaviors.

College trends continue to shift. In the last few years, nearly 50% of all women 18-22 were enrolled in college. Barely a third of men were.

-
Violence and Youth:

Prior to the age of 13, boys are more likely to be victims of every kind of violent crime (sexual crimes not included...see below).

From 1993 to 2003, the nonfatal violent victimization rate for boys ages 12 to 17 was about 50% higher than for girls.

In 2004, boys ages 15 to 19 were five times more likely to die from homicide and seven times more likely to die from a firearm-related incident than girls.

In 2004, rates of suicide for adolescent boys were about three and a half times the rate for adolescent girls.

Boys are 50% more likely to be beaten by their parents, and 85% more likely to be repeatedly beaten. Parental violence towards a child is one of the events that most correlates with violent behaviors later in life.

Depending on the study and social class, parents appear to spend between 10 and 30% less time talking with and interacting with male children than with female children.

Boys represent 25-40% of sexually abused children, yet abusers of boys represent just 12% of convictions.

-
Mortality:

Prostate cancer has more new cases each year and causes nearly as many deaths as breast cancer, but receives 1/5th the insitutional research funding and less than 1/25th the public fundraising.

While the rate of cancers primarily affecting women has decreased, the rate of cancers affecting men have either remained stable or increased.

Overall, male mortality from cancer exeeds female mortality from cancer by nearly 50%.

-
Relationship Violence:

In a 2005 study, 9% of boys and 9% of girls under the age of 23 reported being physically injured by a romantic partner in the last 2 years.

In a longitudinal study of young couples, 31% of men and 44% of women reported perpetrating aggression against their partners in the year prior to marriage. In that same study, 40% of men and 46% of women reported being on the receiving end of partner aggression.

In anonymous surveying, the percentage of men reporting having been on the receiving end of relationship violence was 60% that of women, yet men represent less than 5% of all police domestic violence reports.

Patriarchy.

The most stunning figure I saw in the affects of Title IX on campus sex was the enrollment figures. 12 million females and only 9 million males. There is something institutionally wrong in our education system but everything I've seen and heard from the admin side is they think all is wonderful regarding this.

PostPosted: Tue December 09, 2014 6:51 pm 
NEVER STOP JAMMING!

surfndestroy wrote:
There is something institutionally wrong in our education system but everything I've seen and heard from the admin side is they think all is wonderful regarding this.

Actually, in this case, the source of the problem might actually be patriarchy.

The fact is, teaching was one of the few professions available to women for a very long period of time. It makes sense, then, that the result would be an education system designed primarily by women, heavily influenced by and ultimately structured for the way they tend to learn best.

Which is exactly what we have.

Ironically, most of the reforms proposed by constructivists would be of an especially pronounced benefit to our boys, but it is often adult men who are the noisiest conservative detractors.

PostPosted: Tue December 09, 2014 7:57 pm 
AnalLog

McParadigm wrote:

WHAT?

Quote:
Mortality:

Prostate cancer has more new cases each year and causes nearly as many deaths as breast cancer, but receives 1/5th the insitutional research funding and less than 1/25th the public fundraising.

Touchy subject that i suspect is going to cause more than a scandal in the future. There are cancers that are common and very often deadly that don't get much attention and i suspect are less researched than they should be. There was a controversial pancreatic cancer awareness add campaign in the UK earlier this year that essentially featured people with this disease saying they wish they had breast or prostate cancer.

PostPosted: Tue December 09, 2014 7:57 pm 
Future Drummer

McParadigm wrote:
surfndestroy wrote:
There is something institutionally wrong in our education system but everything I've seen and heard from the admin side is they think all is wonderful regarding this.

Actually, in this case, the source of the problem might actually be patriarchy.

The fact is, teaching was one of the few professions available to women for a very long period of time. It makes sense, then, that the result would be an education system designed primarily by women, heavily influenced by and ultimately structured for the way they tend to learn best.

Which is exactly what we have.

Ironically, most of the reforms proposed by constructivists would be of an especially pronounced benefit to our boys, but it is often adult men who are the noisiest conservative detractors.

Patriarchy would explain the state of schools fifty years ago. The current state of affairs I would mostly chalk up to too much progressive change that was never analyzed fro effectiveness before implementation and a strong influx of 2nd and 3rd wave feminism which has to some extent demonized boys for being boys.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 425 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 18, 19, 20, 21, 22  Next

Board index » Word on the Street » News & Debate