The board's server will undergo upgrade maintenance tonight, Nov 5, 2014, beginning approximately around 10 PM ET. Prepare for some possible down time during this process.
FAQ    Search

Board index » Word on the Street » News & Debate

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 165 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 9  Next
 Post subject: Re: Net Neutrality
PostPosted: Fri January 17, 2014 4:36 am 
post-structuralist

so this whole battle is over the initial classifications of broadband providers and ISPs.
what bothers me is these rules, parts of which have been struck down, but even what's still in place, are the only things that keep these major corporations from having a strangle hold on the public's usage of the internet - and as far as I knew, the internet IS a public right of way - just because the infrastructure isn't doesn't change that...
these courts know the decisions they pass down now will cause damage to the freedom of access to information online yet the thrust of the argument is over what the classification of the carriers are - it's a tawdry and dirty way to win a fight, and these corporations have no problem using it.

Spoiler: show
people change. people stay the same. people are so often disappointing - random PM, person unnamed

PostPosted: Fri January 17, 2014 4:41 am 
Poster of the Year

Now you're getting it!

PostPosted: Fri January 17, 2014 4:43 am 
post-structuralist

cutuphalfdead wrote:
Now you're getting it!

but no one cares, pete :(

people change. people stay the same. people are so often disappointing - random PM, person unnamed

PostPosted: Fri January 17, 2014 1:31 pm 
Future Drummer

malice wrote:
so this whole battle is over the initial classifications of broadband providers and ISPs.
what bothers me is these rules, parts of which have been struck down, but even what's still in place, are the only things that keep these major corporations from having a strangle hold on the public's usage of the internet - and as far as I knew, the internet IS a public right of way - just because the infrastructure isn't doesn't change that...
these courts know the decisions they pass down now will cause damage to the freedom of access to information online yet the thrust of the argument is over what the classification of the carriers are - it's a tawdry and dirty way to win a fight, and these corporations have no problem using it.

It's not really, it's just regulated as such.

This is a tricky one for me, I understand and agree with points on both sides. Verizon is basically subsidizing Google and Netflix, but without neutrality we wouldn't have those services. :|

PostPosted: Fri January 17, 2014 5:20 pm 
Poster of the Year

I can understand the Telecom side of the argument from an idealistic market point of view, but a more pragmatic look at the reality of how the Internet is used and what the benefits of it are lead most people to side with the open Internet perspective.

PostPosted: Fri January 17, 2014 5:34 pm 
post-structuralist

broken iris wrote:
malice wrote:

It's not really, it's just regulated as such.

This is a tricky one for me, I understand and agree with points on both sides. Verizon is basically subsidizing Google and Netflix, but without neutrality we wouldn't have those services. :|

if it's not a public right of way - I'm having trouble with why the government is implementing programs that provide cheap or free internet services to low income homes?

http://www.cbsnews.com/news/govt-effort ... computers/

http://www.fcc.gov/document/fcc-and-con ... fact-sheet

at the heart of this, giving control to the large corporations will not only allow a monopoly but turn the internet into a service that can only be accessed by people with the ability to pay the fees imposed by these corporations. last time I checked, none of those companies gave a damn about more than their ability to make a profit, which we see what that did to the health care industry...

PostPosted: Fri January 17, 2014 6:06 pm 
Future Drummer

malice wrote:
at the heart of this, giving control to the large corporations will not only allow a monopoly but turn the internet into a service that can only be accessed by people with the ability to pay the fees imposed by these corporations.

But isn't that what it already is? We pay our ISPs, they pay the backbone providers, etc... I think the biggest problem is that huge portions of the American (and global) economy developed based on the assumption of net neutrality between the host and the browser. To change it now would be like you said, akin to extortion.

PostPosted: Fri January 17, 2014 6:18 pm 
post-structuralist

broken iris wrote:
malice wrote:
at the heart of this, giving control to the large corporations will not only allow a monopoly but turn the internet into a service that can only be accessed by people with the ability to pay the fees imposed by these corporations.

But isn't that what it already is? We pay our ISPs, they pay the backbone providers, etc... I think the biggest problem is that huge portions of the American (and global) economy developed based on the assumption of net neutrality between the host and the browser. To change it now would be like you said, akin to extortion.

we do pay our ISPs, obviously.
the danger is that as an unregulated industry (since the gov't can't classify them as part of the telecom industry I guess), and with no binding rules in place, there is nothing that stops them from abusing that power to charge for service. the future practices of these companies, (as in, how much they can squeeze out of the public) will depend on the rules that are in place now.

really this is like all industries, every one of which could likely be cited for abuse of power in pursuit of profits, has there ever been a virtuous industry out there that worked to keep their products/services affordable and accessible for the greater good of the society? none that I can think of - when there's no controls in place, industry goes wild polluting the air and water, denying access to medical care, whatever.
that's what the government is supposed to watchdog against. I mean, capitalism only truly thrives when there's a fair marketplace to deal with. without it it's all in the hands of the corporations.

PostPosted: Sat January 18, 2014 4:56 pm 
Misplaced My Sponge

Our company is in an uproar about this because a major competitor is partnered with Warner. Hypothetically, Warner could choke access to the resources we provide. This would be particularly devastating to us because our products are media heavy and require a decent amount of bandwidth. But we are in the educational industry and even though we are a "for profit" company, I find it hard to believe that the government would allow ISPs to essential block access to educational resources.

PostPosted: Wed February 19, 2014 3:31 pm 
Future Drummer

Apparently Verizon has acknowledged it's throttling NetFlix's speed to it's customers. Yeah!

PostPosted: Wed February 19, 2014 7:40 pm 
post-structuralist

broken iris wrote:
Apparently Verizon has acknowledged it's throttling NetFlix's speed to it's customers. Yeah!

let's make a bet they won't be penalized for it...

PostPosted: Wed February 19, 2014 7:58 pm 
Rank This Poster

So what about Google Fiber?

PostPosted: Wed February 19, 2014 8:22 pm 
Poster of the Year

broken iris wrote:

link please

PostPosted: Wed February 19, 2014 8:51 pm 
Future Drummer

cutuphalfdead wrote:
broken iris wrote:

link please

It was on zerohedge earlier, I won't visit that site at work.

PostPosted: Fri February 21, 2014 9:27 am 
Misplaced My Sponge

broken iris wrote:
cutuphalfdead wrote:
broken iris wrote:

link please

I'm sure your boss already knows you're a "bitter clinger". Embrace it.

PostPosted: Fri February 21, 2014 11:49 am 
Future Drummer

simple schoolboy wrote:
broken iris wrote:
cutuphalfdead wrote:
broken iris wrote:

link please

I'm sure your boss already knows you're a "bitter clinger". Embrace it.

Ever vigilant.

#TeamSentinel

PostPosted: Fri February 21, 2014 9:48 pm 
Poster of the Year

http://mashable.com/2014/02/21/netflix- ... -main-link

PostPosted: Sat February 22, 2014 6:09 am 
Future Drummer

cutuphalfdead wrote:
http://mashable.com/2014/02/21/netflix-verizon-speed-battle/?utm_cid=mash-com-Tw-main-link

This has been pissing me off for like the last six months. I'm supposed to watch Mad Men at two dots? Fuck that shit.

PostPosted: Sun February 23, 2014 12:27 am 
$5 Donation Gets Custom Title

Americans and their free trade. :shake:

PostPosted: Mon February 24, 2014 11:14 am 
Future Drummer

Netflix and Comcast made a deal this weekend to ensure "a certain service level" for Netflix. Total coincidence of course, since Comcast throttling them would be a violation of net neutrality laws.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 165 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 9  Next

Board index » Word on the Street » News & Debate