The board's server will undergo upgrade maintenance tonight, Nov 5, 2014, beginning approximately around 10 PM ET. Prepare for some possible down time during this process.
FAQ    Search

Board index » Word on the Street » News & Debate

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 468 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20 ... 24  Next
 Post subject: Re: Same-Sex Marriage
PostPosted: Fri September 04, 2015 11:18 am 
Troglodyte
 WWW  Profile

It's so screwed up that they have jail that woman, and just fire her and have the governor appoint a temporary replacement. She is probably loving being the martyr.

PostPosted: Fri September 04, 2015 5:39 pm 
Site Admin

The more I think about it, the more I'm coming of the opinion that jailing her is actually a chickenshit move. The KY legislature could end this with far more certainty by impeaching her. The question is whether they have the political will to do it.

PostPosted: Fri September 04, 2015 6:09 pm 
Misplaced My Sponge

Green Habit wrote:
The more I think about it, the more I'm coming of the opinion that jailing her is actually a chickenshit move. The KY legislature could end this with far more certainty by impeaching her. The question is whether they have the political will to do it.

I doubt they have the gumption to impeach her.
I think it's more likely they re-write state laws to take the procedure out of her hands or make it easier to "fire" her. From what I have been reading, county clerk is one of the few elected offices that aren't specifically named as an office that the county attorney can prosecute for official misconduct. Although I'm not sure that would have made a difference in this case since there seems to be very little political motivation to do so.

PostPosted: Fri September 04, 2015 9:14 pm 
Misplaced My Sponge

Yes!

PostPosted: Sat September 05, 2015 1:09 am 
Misplaced My Sponge

:lol:

PostPosted: Sun September 06, 2015 4:49 am 
NEVER STOP JAMMING!

Honestly, I appreciate the means by which she comes to this. She fucked up her life and, like a lot of fuck ups, she found healing and control in giving herself over to something she believes is beyond her. AA works on this very principle, and it works relatively well. I don't see what she's doing as hypocrisy or bitterness or whatever...she's hitched her rig to an ideal of power that she believes redeemed her.

It's basically everyone who is outside of that and has the ability to shut it down but is hemming and hawing that comes across as crap. That, and the people gleefully sneering at a broken person running a broken dream, like a hamster in a wheel.

PostPosted: Sun September 06, 2015 4:52 am 
Poster of the Year

oh great he's drunk again

PostPosted: Sun September 06, 2015 5:10 am 
NEVER STOP JAMMING!

Yeah but

PostPosted: Sun September 06, 2015 7:35 am 
Misplaced My Sponge

McParadigm wrote:
Honestly, I appreciate the means by which she comes to this. She fucked up her life and, like a lot of fuck ups, she found healing and control in giving herself over to something she believes is beyond her. AA works on this very principle, and it works relatively well. I don't see what she's doing as hypocrisy or bitterness or whatever...she's hitched her rig to an ideal of power that she believes redeemed her.

It's basically everyone who is outside of that and has the ability to shut it down but is hemming and hawing that comes across as crap. That, and the people gleefully sneering at a broken person running a broken dream, like a hamster in a wheel.

I'm not really on board with this idea that somehow her spiritual awakening is a good basis or justification for what she's doing here. In most cases of "giving yourself over" (and especially in AA like you mentioned), there's generally some humbleness and empathy that comes along with it. And I think logic would dictate that you treat others with that same humbleness and empathy. And indeed, the few AA adherents I know are among the least judgmental people I know. If you are "powerless" over your own life, how the fuck can you justify exerting your own power over someone else? The idea that her redemption somehow makes her a better judge of the human race is preposterous.

Also, don't you have to at least fault her logic here? She's not a pastor being asked to perform vows at a gay couple's wedding as a representative of her church. She's an elected official in Kentucky doing the work of the state.

As far as the idea that people shouldn't be so "gleeful", she brought her personal beliefs into a state job. And she's a public official. Damn right her dirty laundry deserves to be aired and we also have the right to laugh at her. She deserves no quarter, because she's given none herself.

PostPosted: Sun September 06, 2015 3:07 pm 
NEVER STOP JAMMING!

Quote:
I'm not really on board with this idea that somehow her spiritual awakening is a good basis or justification for what she's doing here.

"Justification" isn't remotely what I was referring to, or expressing. What I'm saying is that when people feel something has helped them better themselves, or "saved" them in some way, they tend to go whole hog in their embracing of it. Belief is like memory: it's more a tool for defining ourselves than anything else, and any attempted use of either for other uses will be faulty at best.

So for someone who was fucking up their life (with most of the big fuck ups being marriage related), who now thinks "God" was the source of her great healing turnaround, to feel that they should serve him by playing "marriage guard" like this, doesn't seem like an absurd journey. It's just a really good example of why people like her need to be easy to remove from office. Personal journies can make the wrong choice seem really reasonable, sometimes.

I honestly think this is largely a discussion to be had about acceptance of homosexuality in conservative circles, how true societal equality for all people is probably a journey without end, the rhetoric or logic bigots use, and how politicians coddle that rhetoric. But a misguided dumbdumb refusing to file papers and being hypocritical is great American soap opera, so it gets 90% of the conversation.

PostPosted: Sun September 06, 2015 3:08 pm 
NEVER STOP JAMMING!

And everybody knows about Mississippi, goddamn.

PostPosted: Tue September 08, 2015 9:36 pm 
The Master

This fucking cunt:

http://www.msnbc.com/msnbc/huckabee-and ... nbc_native

PostPosted: Tue September 08, 2015 9:42 pm 
The Master

All of those fucking people. Jesus Christ.

PostPosted: Tue September 08, 2015 9:43 pm 
The Master

How can they, with a straight face, state that it is her constitutional right to behave in such a way?

PostPosted: Tue September 08, 2015 9:45 pm 
The Master

People who are running for president support this idiotic shit. I mean...I don't even know how to process that.

PostPosted: Tue September 08, 2015 9:47 pm 
The Master

LoathedVermin72 wrote:
People who are running for president support this idiotic shit. I mean...I don't even know how to process that.

Here is a visual to help:

PostPosted: Tue September 08, 2015 10:34 pm 
Misplaced My Sponge

Strat wrote:

It always scares me when I see white people holding up white crosses.

PostPosted: Tue September 08, 2015 10:36 pm 
The Master

This issue is obviously never going to go away. errr, rather, this story. She will go back to jail, she will get released, she will go back to jail, she will get released, she will go back to jail, she will get released, she will get dragged up onstage at some GOP rally, she will go back to jail etc...

And ultimately it will just drive the religious right even more fanatic and batshit insane.

PostPosted: Tue September 08, 2015 10:44 pm 
Future Drummer

Lots of black people on facebook are happy about this.

PostPosted: Tue September 08, 2015 11:08 pm 
I Have A Third Nipple

I watched Mike Huckabee on TV Sunday and he actually said that we have separation of powers so that situations like this won't happen. I don't know why the host didn't say, "Yeah, you're right, that's why we have separation of powers: if a court's decision is so widely unpopular, the constitution can be amended."

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 468 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20 ... 24  Next

Board index » Word on the Street » News & Debate