The board's server will undergo upgrade maintenance tonight, Nov 5, 2014, beginning approximately around 10 PM ET. Prepare for some possible down time during this process.
FAQ    Search

Board index » Word on the Street » News & Debate

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 468 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 24  Next
 Post subject: Re: Same-Sex Marriage
PostPosted: Thu January 16, 2014 7:45 pm 
10Club Complaint Department

Lament wrote:
surfndestroy wrote:
I am sorry that you don't feel those in the poly community shouldn't have the same rights, responsibilities, and government support as those in the LBGTQ* and hetero communities have when it comes to marriage.

I have actually never said anything of this nature. I simply pointed out the sheer absurdity of your "equivalency." The irony of this is I probably know people who are legitimately members of the poly community than you do, but you're just trying to make an asinine point on a message board as opposed to actually knowing people who are affected by these issues. Not a single one of them would be dumb enough to try to make the equivalency claim you're making here between child rights and marriage rights. But then again you appear to be the equivalent of one of those teenagers who are really into LGBTQ rights because of Glee or some shit like that and view them as more about being an expression of "out there" as opposed to actually being someone concerned about the rights of actual people, aren't you?

Hey, I finally found an equivalency here that works!

:thumbsup:

PostPosted: Thu January 16, 2014 7:50 pm 
10Club Complaint Department

surfndestroy wrote:
harmless wrote:
simple schoolboy wrote:
When can we expect to see polygamist same-sex marriages receiving the blessing of the state?

When can we expect to see your slippery slope?

I honestly can't see why anyone would be against marriage being open to multiple partners. If people can live as married with multiple partners then they should be able to avail themselves to the sames rights and responsibilties and status as those who choose to have just one partner. Women and men can both have children with multiple partners and they have all the same rights and responsibilities as parents who choose to have children with just a single partner. Marriage should be no different.

I am all for polygamy for those who choose it, but Lament is right when he says there is no equivalence between that and homosexuality. To say anything else is to play right into the hands of the fundamentalists with their slippery slope arguments. You can't just join any dots you like for whatever reason.

PostPosted: Thu January 16, 2014 10:04 pm 
Misplaced My Sponge

harmless wrote:
simple schoolboy wrote:
When can we expect to see polygamist same-sex marriages receiving the blessing of the state?

When can we expect to see your slippery slope?

I didn't intend to imply it was a bad thing. It would be interesting to see the reaction of a typical Utah county clerk to such a marriage liscense, however.

PostPosted: Thu January 16, 2014 10:09 pm 
An enigma of a man shaped hole in the wall between reality and the soul of the devil.

Why is marriage recognized by the state in the first place?

“And truly, if life had no purpose, and I had to choose nonsense, this would be the most desirable nonsense for me as well."

PostPosted: Thu January 16, 2014 10:13 pm 
Commissioner

BurtReynolds wrote:

Burt is on the right track.

PostPosted: Fri January 17, 2014 4:55 pm 
Future Drummer

Lament wrote:
surfndestroy wrote:
I am sorry that you don't feel those in the poly community shouldn't have the same rights, responsibilities, and government support as those in the LBGTQ* and hetero communities have when it comes to marriage.

I have actually never said anything of this nature. I simply pointed out the sheer absurdity of your "equivalency." The irony of this is I probably know people who are legitimately members of the poly community than you do, but you're just trying to make an asinine point on a message board as opposed to actually knowing people who are affected by these issues. Not a single one of them would be dumb enough to try to make the equivalency claim you're making here between child rights and marriage rights. But then again you appear to be the equivalent of one of those teenagers who are really into LGBTQ rights because of Glee or some shit like that and view them as more about being an expression of "out there" as opposed to actually being someone concerned about the rights of actual people, aren't you?

Hey, I finally found an equivalency here that works!

I bet you know lots of coloured folks too! Do you still want them to have seperate water fountains?

You have yet to make a single arguement why a person should not be able to have multiples marriages concurrently even though they can have serially have multiple marriages. If a person can have kids with multiple partners and have a seperate set of rights and responsibilities to each child, why can't that happen between consenting adults? If consenting adults enter into this type of arrangement already (without government endorsement), why would you want to prevent them from having the rights to protect themselves? You have failed at every step to answer this but I guess that's cool because you know people in the poly community.

PostPosted: Fri January 17, 2014 5:06 pm 
Site Admin

As far as I can tell, Lament's argument limited to "equivalency" is analogous to "equal protection", a term in the US Constitution that could be very relevant depending on how SCOTUS ultimately rules on this case. If it limits its ruling solely to equal protection, then there is no implication of polygamous relationships on a basis of legal recognition. Saying that two people of the same sex can't marry would be a violation of equal protection, but would go no further with any two people given that right.

However, if the Court were to go down the Due Process route, and implicate (further?) that there is a fundamental right to marriage, then the argument that snd brings up could be important.

PostPosted: Fri January 17, 2014 5:37 pm 
Commissioner

surfndestroy wrote:
You have yet to make a single arguement why a person should not be able to have multiples marriages concurrently even though they can have serially have multiple marriages.

BECAUSE ONCE AGAIN, I AM NOT ARGUING THAT A PERSON SHOULD NOT BE ABLE TO HAVE MULTIPLE MARRIAGES CONCURRENTLY. I AM ARGUING THAT TRYING TO REASON IT'S THE SAME THING AS HAVING CHILDREN WITH MULTIPLE PARTNERS IS INCREDIBLY FUCKING STUPID.

A child exists. It is not an entity that was created to define a legal arrangement between adults. It is a living, breathing thing. It cannot be dissolved if it doesn't work out. There are a set of legal rights and responsibilities that extend from the child to whatever group of adults they extend to because they are for the well-being of the child. If you honestly cannot understand how this makes it a fundamentally different thing than marriage and NOT an equivalent situation, then perhaps a return to 4th grade is necessary.

But all by means, I await another response to things that I didn't actually say because you've proven completely incapable of responding to any of the points made against your silly reasoning. There are plenty of valid, intelligent arguments for the legalization of multiple marriages. It's a shame when people like you choose to speak for it in a way that is so shockingly lacking in reason and eloquence.

PostPosted: Fri January 17, 2014 7:13 pm 
The worst

Lament wrote:
BurtReynolds wrote:

Burt is on the right track.

There are 1,138 benefits, rights and protections provided on the basis of marital status in Federal law.

http://www.hrc.org/resources/entry/an-o ... ed-couples

Running TSIS Review

I Am No Guide - Pearl Jam Song by Song - Coming this July!
He/Him/His

PostPosted: Fri January 17, 2014 7:27 pm 
Commissioner

stip wrote:
There are 1,138 benefits, rights and protections provided on the basis of marital status in Federal law.

If those 1,138 benefits/rights/protections were provided under a different name than "marriage," then recognition of marriage could be in the eye of the beholder and whatever they believe in, while the government could say "We recognize NO marriages; We issue rights/benefits/protections to people who file for an economic partnership, which we can define however we'd like since we invented it."

I'm not blaming them for not doing that, but honestly that seems to be the simplest solution to me (though, once again, it could never reasonably happen as we're way too far down the rabbit hole at this point. But yeah, I'd prefer a government that says "Marriage is like a confirmation/bar mitzvah/whatever religious rite of passage you believe in; It's irrelevant to us as a government," and then replaces it with something that more or less has all of the same legal benefits without using a name for it that is loaded with religious history and ideas of what "should" or "shouldn't" be. Hell, then you could make people re-file for it every five years.

PostPosted: Fri January 17, 2014 7:39 pm 
An enigma of a man shaped hole in the wall between reality and the soul of the devil.

Lament wrote:
stip wrote:

If those 1,138 benefits/rights/protections were provided under a different name than "marriage," then recognition of marriage could be in the eye of the beholder and whatever they believe in, while the government could say "We recognize NO marriages; We issue rights/benefits/protections to people who file for an economic partnership, which we can define however we'd like since we invented it."

I'm not blaming them for not doing that, but honestly that seems to be the simplest solution to me (though, once again, it could never reasonably happen as we're way too far down the rabbit hole at this point. But yeah, I'd prefer a government that says "Marriage is like a confirmation/bar mitzvah/whatever religious rite of passage you believe in; It's irrelevant to us as a government," and then replaces it with something that more or less has all of the same legal benefits without using a name for it that is loaded with religious history and ideas of what "should" or "shouldn't" be. Hell, then you could make people re-file for it every five years.

yeah that.

“And truly, if life had no purpose, and I had to choose nonsense, this would be the most desirable nonsense for me as well."

PostPosted: Fri January 17, 2014 8:52 pm 
The worst

I agree, and I am personally in favor of just having civil unions legalized everywhere, and decoupling ALL legal rights from marriage. Having said that, since we do place so much cultural importance on the idea of marriage that legalizing it becomes important as a way of saying that our culture recognizes homosexuality as a legitimate choice, as opposed to a deviant behavior to be tolerated.

Running TSIS Review

I Am No Guide - Pearl Jam Song by Song - Coming this July!
He/Him/His

PostPosted: Fri January 17, 2014 9:21 pm 
post-structuralist

I've been trying to read this thread, and I'm still confused over what lament and snd are arguing about :/

Spoiler: show
people change. people stay the same. people are so often disappointing - random PM, person unnamed

PostPosted: Fri January 17, 2014 9:39 pm 
Commissioner

malice wrote:
I've been trying to read this thread, and I'm still confused over what lament and snd are arguing about :/

SND thinks that polygamous marriages are the same thing as people having kids with multiple partners. Instead of dealing with the fact that he's just flat out wrong, he keeps trying to turn it into me arguing against the idea of polygamous marriages, but he's running into problems because I've never actually argued against them, I've just pointed out how unbearably stupid his reasoning is.

A less intellectually challenged person (and the the most convincing polygamous marriage advocates I know) would argue that a good justification for legalizing polygamous marriage would be the fact that a person can start as many LLCs as with as many different people as they want. An LLC and a marriage are far more similar in nature than a child and a marriage, but I've realized over the past few pages that expecting SND to wrap his head around the concept is unreasonable, and he'll probably just keep responding to this made up idea that I'm fighting against polygamous marriage.

PostPosted: Fri January 17, 2014 9:41 pm 
Commissioner

stip wrote:
Having said that, since we do place so much cultural importance on the idea of marriage that legalizing it becomes important as a way of saying that our culture recognizes homosexuality as a legitimate choice, as opposed to a deviant behavior to be tolerated.

Very well put. And I agree with this wholeheartedly.

PostPosted: Fri January 17, 2014 10:11 pm 
post-structuralist

Lament wrote:
malice wrote:

SND thinks that polygamous marriages are the same thing as people having kids with multiple partners. Instead of dealing with the fact that he's just flat out wrong, he keeps trying to turn it into me arguing against the idea of polygamous marriages, but he's running into problems because I've never actually argued against them, I've just pointed out how unbearably stupid his reasoning is.

A less intellectually challenged person (and the the most convincing polygamous marriage advocates I know) would argue that a good justification for legalizing polygamous marriage would be the fact that a person can start as many LLCs as with as many different people as they want. An LLC and a marriage are far more similar in nature than a child and a marriage, but I've realized over the past few pages that expecting SND to wrap his head around the concept is unreasonable, and he'll probably just keep responding to this made up idea that I'm fighting against polygamous marriage.

oh.

people change. people stay the same. people are so often disappointing - random PM, person unnamed

PostPosted: Fri January 17, 2014 10:12 pm 
post-structuralist

I better go back and read the thread again

PostPosted: Fri January 17, 2014 10:14 pm 

malice wrote:

Is that really the best use of your time/?

PostPosted: Fri January 17, 2014 10:16 pm 
Commissioner

malice wrote:

Or...

You can dance with me. To some Jesus Jones.

PostPosted: Fri January 17, 2014 10:19 pm 
post-structuralist

I'm the girl in the background with the jumper and the hair barrette

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 468 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 24  Next

Board index » Word on the Street » News & Debate