The board's server will undergo upgrade maintenance tonight, Nov 5, 2014, beginning approximately around 10 PM ET. Prepare for some possible down time during this process.
FAQ    Search

Board index » Word on the Street » News & Debate

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 468 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10 ... 24  Next
 Post subject: Re: Same-Sex Marriage
PostPosted: Thu June 12, 2014 2:04 pm 
TIER 1 Essential Critical Infrastructure Worker

Texas Gov. Rick Perry (R) on Wednesday defended his state party's recent embrace of "reparative therapy" for gays, saying that homosexuality is a choice.

"Whether or not you feel compelled to follow a particular lifestyle or not, you have the ability to decide not to do that," Perry said at a business event in San Francisco. "I may have the genetic coding that I'm inclined to be an alcoholic, but I have the desire not to do that, and I look at the homosexual issue the same way."

PostPosted: Thu June 12, 2014 6:22 pm 
AnalLog

There's also this: http://www.dailykos.com/story/2014/06/11/1306184/-Oklahoma-candidate-thinks-stoning-homosexuals-to-death-is-A-OK?detail=email#

Scott Esk, running for a seat in the Oklahoma house says we would be totally in the right to execute homosexuals, but it might clash a bit with his so-called "Libertarian" views.

PostPosted: Thu June 12, 2014 8:03 pm 
Site Admin

Nice try, Hillary.

http://www.buzzfeed.com/chrisgeidner/10 ... nton-to-ex

PostPosted: Fri June 13, 2014 4:24 am 
Poster of the Year

Green Habit wrote:

well that was a breath of fresh air

PostPosted: Fri June 13, 2014 11:21 am 
Misplaced My Sponge

cutuphalfdead wrote:
Green Habit wrote:

well that was a breath of fresh air

I'm torn because I find Teri Gross to be off-putting in general and yet I have no affinity for Hillary Clinton whatsoever . I try to avoid my local NPR until the 2pm news largely because of that. Her interview with whats-his face from Kiss is legendary of course (look into it, the awkwardness and entertainment compliment each other nicely), and frequently she is inoffensive interviewing minor celebrities. However, there was someone she interviewed that underwent some sort of trauma, and I believe her line was, "give us a taste". Some days I hate her, but when she lets her guests to do most of the talking, I enjoy the interview.

Teri Gross aside, should we expect anything else from Mrs. Clinton? Evasion is nearly synonymous with the family name. At this point, what difference does it make?

PostPosted: Fri June 13, 2014 6:12 pm 
Poster of the Year

I was just making an NPR pun. Fresh Air is the name of his show.

PostPosted: Fri June 13, 2014 6:13 pm 
Poster of the Year

Evasion isn't a Clinton thing. It's a politics thing.

PostPosted: Thu June 19, 2014 10:01 pm 
Misplaced My Sponge

LOL. This seriously may be the most pathetic "march" ever.

http://gawker.com/here-are-scenes-from- ... 1593302327

PostPosted: Fri June 20, 2014 2:51 pm 
10Club Complaint Department

You should see disability protest marches. Nobody gives a single shit except people directly involved.

PostPosted: Fri June 20, 2014 2:54 pm 

Biff Pocoroba wrote:
Texas Gov. Rick Perry (R) on Wednesday defended his state party's recent embrace of "reparative therapy" for gays, saying that homosexuality is a choice.

"Whether or not you feel compelled to follow a particular lifestyle or not, you have the ability to decide not to do that," Perry said at a business event in San Francisco. "I may have the genetic coding that I'm inclined to be an alcoholic, but I have the desire not to do that, and I look at the homosexual issue the same way."

I read this as "...and I'm a complete fucking idiot who struggles to make analogous comparisons."

PostPosted: Fri June 20, 2014 2:57 pm 
NEVER STOP JAMMING!

Quote:
I may have the genetic coding that I'm inclined to be an alcoholic, but I have the desire not to do that

The only people who become alcoholics are the ones who have both genetic encoding AND the motivation to do so. The under-motivated just end up failing. They are forced to give up on their dreams, and become politicians.

PostPosted: Sat June 21, 2014 10:13 pm 
Future Drummer

harmless wrote:
I read this as "...and I'm a complete fucking idiot who struggles to make analogous comparisons."

:thumbsup:

http://twitter.com/mburnhope/status/478538324617863168

PostPosted: Sun June 22, 2014 10:11 am 

broken iris wrote:
harmless wrote:

:thumbsup:

http://twitter.com/mburnhope/status/478538324617863168

Good job! Broken iris revealing everyone as hypocrites again. Fuck off.

PostPosted: Sun June 22, 2014 10:26 am 

So next time you say something offensive to anyone (like me for instance), I won't be able to point out your hypocrisy because you don't make any useful stands or share any good articles on Twitter. Fucking wonderful.

PostPosted: Sun June 22, 2014 11:48 am 
Future Drummer

harmless wrote:
So next time you say something offensive to anyone (like me for instance), I won't be able to point out your hypocrisy because you don't make any useful stands or share any good articles on Twitter. Fucking wonderful.

I do not think you are a hypocrite and even though I don't agree with your methods or most of your rants, I generally agree the goal to eliminate the erasure and bigotry facing the disabled. I don't tread in those waters because it's topic where the "shut up and listen" mantra really applies, I mean wtf do I know about the challenges ableism creates, so reading what you write is a way to learn about that experience.

The point of that was to show that sometimes people react in ways that aren't representative of themselves on the internet, and it takes some time and patience to understand what they believe beyond something they may post on a PJ message board (RIP Harry).

As for what Perry said, I hope you realize it's not representative of what the majority of conservatives, Christians, or Americans think. He represents a generation of thinking that is bitterly clinging to life as it gets washed away by the efforts of educators and activists and like the phrenologists of the past, they are going to try to appeal to people's fear with pseudoscience. But look at it this way, it he's the best that side can do, it's a shoe-in for the left.

PostPosted: Sun June 22, 2014 2:37 pm 

I don't care to read any more of your opinions on what I should be saying or how. That's your own issue, and if you have to have a "dialogue" about my perspectives and stances, have it on your own, out of my site. When was the last thing you ever did for the causes I talk about? What you do is follow me around taking the piss out of me on the Internet. Well fuck you very much for your assistance. You can go back to your privilege now, I'm sorry for diverting your attention away from it even for a second.

PostPosted: Sun June 22, 2014 3:53 pm 
Future Drummer

harmless wrote:
. When was the last thing you ever did for the causes I talk about?

I did what you asked me to. I read quite a bit on intersectionality, feminism, ableism, ATOS, even read some "bell hooks" to try and understand, gain context, and have a better dialogue. I don't follow you on Twitter, but I do read your tweets when others retweet them. In the case above, Lament re-tweeted it, and in order to learn about a perspective that is not my own, I read it and try to practice it.

We are just so quick to react, judge, and condemn here (I am guilty of this myself, but I am trying to improve). Even in cases of obvious bias and ignorance like what Rick Perry said, from my perspective we cannot claim to be the better people without actually being the better people and trying to understand the perspectives and motives of those who are not us, regardless of their politics, privilege, skin color, or what have you. That is not a shot at you or your causes in anyway. It is not an attempt to censor you or suppress your opinions or ability to express at all. It's a criticism of myself and the poor environment here I helped create.

I'm sorry if you took it personally, it wasn't meant that way, but it's clear to me that a meaningful dialogue between us on any complex topic just isn't going to happen, so I'll just not reply to your posts anymore. It's nothing personal, again it's not a criticism of you or your beliefs in anyway, just a difference of opinion. :wave:

PostPosted: Sun June 22, 2014 4:33 pm 

If you don't follow me on Twitter, calling up a tweet that I made in here for laughs was rude and uncalled for. Do not tell me you "didn't mean" to upset me. You cannot do and say whatever the fuck you like and then duck out because you "didn't mean" it. You've followed me around to do this for as long as I can remember. You are a troll, talking to someone who has never had, let alone maintained, a shtick. I do not, and cannot, cope with it any more.

I don't need a "meaningful dialogue" with you about my life and how I choose to campaign to keep it, since you are interested in nothing but following me around and being a huge problem to me. Have a good day.

Last edited by harmless on Sun June 22, 2014 4:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sun June 22, 2014 4:34 pm 

And don't ever make it my fucking fault. It was your choice to be an asshole and post that tweet. You thought it was funny. If I say it wasn't, fucking deal with it rather than shifting that back on me.

PostPosted: Sun June 22, 2014 4:41 pm 

Nothing I tweet, ever, is made null and void by the fact that I make mistakes. Either respect what I have to say or leave me alone.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 468 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10 ... 24  Next

Board index » Word on the Street » News & Debate