The board's server will undergo upgrade maintenance tonight, Nov 5, 2014, beginning approximately around 10 PM ET. Prepare for some possible down time during this process.
FAQ

Board index » Word on the Street » News & Debate

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 71 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject: Re: Affluenza
PostPosted: Thu December 12, 2013 11:07 pm 
An enigma of a man shaped hole in the wall between reality and the soul of the devil.

surfndestroy wrote:
If this judgement were given to a black kid from a troubled home in a run down part of town, you'd probably be applauding the decision. Saying finally contributing factors were taken into account, he's only 16, he's going to rehab and is on a long parole.

I think the decision sucks. At the very least he should be in juvie jail until 18 and then with the same restictions afterwards. But if this is where you want justice for minors to get to, thismay be a poor first start but a start none the less.

yeah no.

“And truly, if life had no purpose, and I had to choose nonsense, this would be the most desirable nonsense for me as well."

PostPosted: Fri December 13, 2013 12:43 am 
The worst

Every day a poor black kid doesn't shoot a bunch of white kids I die a little inside...

I Am No Guide - Pearl Jam Song by Song - Coming this July!
He/Him/His

PostPosted: Fri December 13, 2013 1:49 am 
post-structuralist

Whitey McTeeth wrote:
He can't go to jail for 20 years, I'm sure his future executive job skills will be needed.

he'll likely learn a lot of executive job skills in prison...

Spoiler: show
people change. people stay the same. people are so often disappointing - random PM, person unnamed

PostPosted: Fri December 13, 2013 2:20 am 
Gone

Hugs not handcuffs.

If only he was 20 instead of 17. The juvenile justice system is essentially evolving to the point there is no accountability at all and any type of negative behavior can be excused. At least that is how things are in the People's Republic of Illinois....I know several states (Tennessee, for example) that by comparison do not fuck around.

Anyway, fuck this kid.

PostPosted: Fri December 13, 2013 2:46 am 
F.U.B.A.R
 WWW  Profile

If they firmly believe that it's the parent's fault for bringing their son up to be an idiot, then jail the parents.

PostPosted: Fri December 13, 2013 11:19 am 
The worst

Bring on the civil lawsuits!

I Am No Guide - Pearl Jam Song by Song - Coming this July!
He/Him/His

PostPosted: Fri December 13, 2013 2:19 pm 
Broken Tamborine

I know a kid that suffers from this disease. She's not rich though - just raised to believe she's allowed to be the center of her own universe.

PostPosted: Fri December 13, 2013 2:24 pm 
Broken Tamborine

"poor man's affluenza."

Quote:
The way that our educational systems work in the US is absolutely ridiculous. I can't afford to pay for an education that will allow me to move up into a better social class, but at the same time earning $10 an hour qualifies me as making "too much" to receive assistance with this process. I work full time to support myself AND go to school full time with an almost perfect GPA and this is how the govt rewards people like me? Frustrating to say the least.

this is how I am rewarded. REWARDED.

EVERYONE GETS A TROPHY.

PostPosted: Fri December 13, 2013 2:38 pm 
NEVER STOP JAMMING!

mookie wrote:
"poor man's affluenza."

Quote:
The way that our educational systems work in the US is absolutely ridiculous. I can't afford to pay for an education that will allow me to move up into a better social class, but at the same time earning $10 an hour qualifies me as making "too much" to receive assistance with this process. I work full time to support myself AND go to school full time with an almost perfect GPA and this is how the govt rewards people like me? Frustrating to say the least.

EVERYONE GETS A TROPHY.

So basically if they'd used the word "perceives" or "compartmentalizes," instead of "rewards," it wouldn't be a problem?

PostPosted: Fri December 13, 2013 3:03 pm 
Broken Tamborine

McParadigm wrote:
mookie wrote:
"poor man's affluenza."

Quote:

EVERYONE GETS A TROPHY.

So basically if they'd used the word "perceives" or "compartmentalizes," instead of "rewards," it wouldn't be a problem?

Probably. Because that would be an exhibit of one's consciousness of the greater picture. I feel like it was an immature statement. And that's what this affluenza seems to be. Plain old immaturity that's relative to one's surroundings.

I can't wait until she pays taxes.

PostPosted: Fri December 13, 2013 4:05 pm 
NEVER STOP JAMMING!

mookie wrote:
And that's what this affluenza seems to be. Plain old immaturity that's relative to one's surroundings.

These people always have, like, the GREATEST divorces. So fun to watch.

PostPosted: Fri December 13, 2013 4:09 pm 
Future Drummer

mookie wrote:
I know a kid that suffers from this disease. She's not rich though - just raised to believe she's allowed to be the center of her own universe.

I don't think that's quite the same.

PostPosted: Fri December 13, 2013 4:18 pm 
Broken Tamborine

McParadigm wrote:
mookie wrote:
And that's what this affluenza seems to be. Plain old immaturity that's relative to one's surroundings.

These people always have, like, the GREATEST divorces. So fun to watch.

Gimme gimme gimme.

PostPosted: Fri December 13, 2013 4:24 pm 
Broken Tamborine

broken iris wrote:
mookie wrote:

I feel like it is, but how do you figure it is not?

PostPosted: Fri December 13, 2013 4:39 pm 
Future Drummer

mookie wrote:
broken iris wrote:
mookie wrote:

wikipedia wrote:
Affluenza, a portmanteau of affluence and influenza, is a term used by critics of consumerism. The book Affluenza: The All-Consuming Epidemic defines it as "a painful, contagious, socially transmitted condition of overload, debt, anxiety and waste resulting from the dogged pursuit of more".[1]

Proponents of the term consider that the prizing of endless increases in material wealth may lead to feelings of worthlessness and dissatisfaction rather than experiences of a 'better life', and that these symptoms may be usefully captured with the metaphor of a disease. They claim some or even many of those who become wealthy will find the economic success leaving them unfulfilled and hungry only for more wealth, finding that they are unable to get pleasure from the things they buy and that increasingly material things may come to dominate their time and thoughts to the detriment of personal relationships and to feelings of happiness.

PostPosted: Fri December 13, 2013 6:35 pm 
Broken Tamborine

broken iris wrote:
mookie wrote:
broken iris wrote:
mookie wrote:

wikipedia wrote:
Affluenza, a portmanteau of affluence and influenza, is a term used by critics of consumerism. The book Affluenza: The All-Consuming Epidemic defines it as "a painful, contagious, socially transmitted condition of overload, debt, anxiety and waste resulting from the dogged pursuit of more".[1]

Proponents of the term consider that the prizing of endless increases in material wealth may lead to feelings of worthlessness and dissatisfaction rather than experiences of a 'better life', and that these symptoms may be usefully captured with the metaphor of a disease. They claim some or even many of those who become wealthy will find the economic success leaving them unfulfilled and hungry only for more wealth, finding that they are unable to get pleasure from the things they buy and that increasingly material things may come to dominate their time and thoughts to the detriment of personal relationships and to feelings of happiness.

Maybe I feel differently because I have other details I'm considering that I haven't shared here.

By that definition, it's a older person's disease.

PostPosted: Fri December 13, 2013 6:41 pm 
NEVER STOP JAMMING!

So the song Lightning Bolt by legendary rock band Pearl Jam is to affluenza what their classic hit Daughter was to dyslexia, and what their debut track Alive was to mother porking.

PostPosted: Fri December 13, 2013 6:41 pm 
NEVER STOP JAMMING!

huh

PostPosted: Fri December 13, 2013 6:48 pm 
Broken Tamborine

I guess calling someone a "spoiled brat" is too narrow.

PostPosted: Fri December 13, 2013 9:58 pm 
Commissioner

Things like this make me just wish the whole world would blow up.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 71 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Board index » Word on the Street » News & Debate