The board's server will undergo upgrade maintenance tonight, Nov 5, 2014, beginning approximately around 10 PM ET. Prepare for some possible down time during this process.
FAQ    Search

Board index » Word on the Street » News & Debate

Post subject: Re: Supermajorities
PostPosted: Fri November 22, 2013 3:34 am 
The worst

higher stakes/higher threshold

Running TSIS Review

I Am No Guide - Pearl Jam Song by Song - Coming this July!
He/Him/His

PostPosted: Fri November 22, 2013 3:40 am 
Poster of the Year

Yeah, more power/more scrutiny.

PostPosted: Fri November 22, 2013 3:50 am 
The worst

it'd be nice if this turned into a debate about finally establishing term limits for justices, but it won't

Running TSIS Review

He/Him/His

PostPosted: Fri November 22, 2013 6:42 pm 
Looks Like a Cat

cutuphalfdead wrote:

The DC Circuit is pretty powerful.

PostPosted: Fri November 22, 2013 6:43 pm 
Poster of the Year

Chris_H_2 wrote:
cutuphalfdead wrote:

As powerful as the Supreme Court?

PostPosted: Fri November 22, 2013 7:34 pm 
Looks Like a Cat

cutuphalfdead wrote:
Chris_H_2 wrote:
cutuphalfdead wrote:

As powerful as the Supreme Court?

It's where most justices on the S. Ct. come from. It's why there's so much hub bub surrounding the DC Circuit that led to the nuclear option.

PostPosted: Sun November 24, 2013 10:56 am 
The worst

Chris_H_2 wrote:
Green Habit wrote:
Chris_H_2 wrote:
Listen, you're preaching to the converted on giving deference to a president's nomination so long as the person is (a) qualified, and (b) not a serial killer. The problem with both parties is that members have taken it upon themselves to define a person's qualifications based on their ideologies, and have tried to administer a litmus test to demonstrate that the nominee is "out of touch" or "too far to the [left or right]." I think it's despicable.

At the same time, I also see what's going on with the recent fights and, in particular, the opportunity that the Democrats see to facilitate the White House's agenda of legislating by regulation. Hence, the focus on the DC Circuit. Frankly, I think the matter is overblown.
So do you think that there's any time when a procedural supermajority is proper?

I think it was proper as was. It was originally to be used as a shield to avoid getting railroaded by a simple majority.

But it was not intended to be a vehicle for negating the results of elections. Filibustering a particularly odious nominee is one thing. Filibustering the idea of appointing any nominee is something else.

Running TSIS Review

He/Him/His

PostPosted: Sun November 24, 2013 7:25 pm 
Looks Like a Cat

stip wrote:
Chris_H_2 wrote:
Green Habit wrote:
Chris_H_2 wrote:
Listen, you're preaching to the converted on giving deference to a president's nomination so long as the person is (a) qualified, and (b) not a serial killer. The problem with both parties is that members have taken it upon themselves to define a person's qualifications based on their ideologies, and have tried to administer a litmus test to demonstrate that the nominee is "out of touch" or "too far to the [left or right]." I think it's despicable.

At the same time, I also see what's going on with the recent fights and, in particular, the opportunity that the Democrats see to facilitate the White House's agenda of legislating by regulation. Hence, the focus on the DC Circuit. Frankly, I think the matter is overblown.
So do you think that there's any time when a procedural supermajority is proper?

I think it was proper as was. It was originally to be used as a shield to avoid getting railroaded by a simple majority.

But it was not intended to be a vehicle for negating the results of elections. Filibustering a particularly odious nominee is one thing. Filibustering the idea of appointing any nominee is something else.

There's nothing new about the Republicans are doing. Democrats and Republicans do the same thing. It's the reason that Obama, when he was the junior senator from Illinois, railed against the idea of changing the rules. It's also the reason that Reid said he would never do it.

PostPosted: Sun November 24, 2013 7:54 pm 
Site Admin

Chris_H_2 wrote:
There's nothing new about the Republicans are doing. Democrats and Republicans do the same thing. It's the reason that Obama, when he was the junior senator from Illinois, railed against the idea of changing the rules. It's also the reason that Reid said he would never do it.
I think it's still a bad rule regardless if it's been around for a while or if both sides do it.

PostPosted: Mon November 25, 2013 3:25 am 
The worst

Chris_H_2 wrote:
stip wrote:
Chris_H_2 wrote:
Green Habit wrote:
Chris_H_2 wrote:

This is pretty new, actually. Both in terms of the size and scope of what is happening. This goes beyond partisanship into the basic nullification of democratic rule.

Running TSIS Review

He/Him/His

PostPosted: Fri December 06, 2013 12:23 pm 
The worst

Fun fact. This may have shifted slightly, and of course the politics probably would not align directly like this, but the smallest 21 states make up 11% of the countries population and have the ability, via fillibuster, to thwart the will of the other 89%.

Running TSIS Review

He/Him/His

PostPosted: Mon December 09, 2013 10:41 pm 
Looks Like a Cat

stip wrote:
Fun fact. This may have shifted slightly, and of course the politics probably would not align directly like this, but the smallest 21 states make up 11% of the countries population and have the ability, via fillibuster, to thwart the will of the other 89%.

I suppose that you're equating the ideologies of certain members of Congress with the "will" of their constituents, no?

Board index » Word on the Street » News & Debate