The board's server will undergo upgrade maintenance tonight, Nov 5, 2014, beginning approximately around 10 PM ET. Prepare for some possible down time during this process.
FAQ    Search

Board index » Word on the Street » News & Debate




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 132 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Author Message
 Post subject: Re: The Environment Thread
PostPosted: Thu April 28, 2016 6:31 pm 
Offline
User avatar
The Master
 Profile

Joined: Tue January 01, 2013 2:04 pm
Posts: 46190
Location: Sector 7-G
Chloe wrote:
I wanted to love this thread but it's leaving me depressed...

Just out of curiosity - how many of you recycle? Compost? Those of you in other countries: are these things common practice?
When I visit friends in Canada they live in a town that requires composting.

I'm a diligent recycler.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: The Environment Thread
PostPosted: Thu April 28, 2016 10:36 pm 
Offline
User avatar
Future Drummer
 Profile

Joined: Tue January 01, 2013 8:12 pm
Posts: 2203
Location: Lynchburg, VA
cutuphalfdead wrote:
Chloe wrote:
I wanted to love this thread but it's leaving me depressed...

Just out of curiosity - how many of you recycle? Compost? Those of you in other countries: are these things common practice?
When I visit friends in Canada they live in a town that requires composting.

I'm a diligent recycler.

:luv:
Everything you're able to, or just the basics - plastic water bottles and soda cans?
No composting?

_________________
I hate to say I love you,
But oh goddamn I love you,
You know I do.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: The Environment Thread
PostPosted: Thu April 28, 2016 10:43 pm 
Offline
User avatar
Future Drummer
 Profile

Joined: Tue January 01, 2013 8:12 pm
Posts: 2203
Location: Lynchburg, VA
Just curious about the recycling because of this shit...
Image

_________________
I hate to say I love you,
But oh goddamn I love you,
You know I do.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: The Environment Thread
PostPosted: Thu April 28, 2016 10:52 pm 
Offline
User avatar
The Master
 Profile

Joined: Tue January 01, 2013 2:04 pm
Posts: 46190
Location: Sector 7-G
Chloe wrote:
cutuphalfdead wrote:
Chloe wrote:
I wanted to love this thread but it's leaving me depressed...

Just out of curiosity - how many of you recycle? Compost? Those of you in other countries: are these things common practice?
When I visit friends in Canada they live in a town that requires composting.

I'm a diligent recycler.

:luv:
Everything you're able to, or just the basics - plastic water bottles and soda cans?
No composting?

Everything my town allows.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: The Environment Thread
PostPosted: Mon June 20, 2016 1:26 am 
Offline
User avatar
Future Drummer
 Profile

Joined: Tue January 01, 2013 10:41 am
Posts: 3294
Location: Calgary, AB, Canada
Norway Becomes World’s First Country to Ban Deforestation

_________________
"I'll hold your wallet while you go fuck yourself"-David Letterman


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: The Environment Thread
PostPosted: Tue July 05, 2016 3:25 am 
Offline
User avatar
Future Drummer
 Profile

Joined: Tue January 01, 2013 10:41 am
Posts: 3294
Location: Calgary, AB, Canada
PORTUGAL JUST WENT 4 STRAIGHT DAYS RUNNING COMPLETELY ON RENEWABLE ENERGY

_________________
"I'll hold your wallet while you go fuck yourself"-David Letterman


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: The Environment Thread
PostPosted: Thu July 07, 2016 7:37 am 
Offline
AnalLog
 Profile

Joined: Wed January 02, 2013 3:41 am
Posts: 1163
California is going to shut down its last nuclear power plant in 9 years or so. The plan is to replace it with renewable energy sources. Im guessing the reality is some portion will be taken up by fossil fuels in neighboring states or Mexico.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: The Environment Thread
PostPosted: Thu July 07, 2016 10:45 am 
Offline
User avatar
Site Admin
 Profile

Joined: Wed December 12, 2012 10:33 pm
Posts: 5274
simple schoolboy wrote:
California is going to shut down its last nuclear power plant in 9 years or so. The plan is to replace it with renewable energy sources. Im guessing the reality is some portion will be taken up by fossil fuels in neighboring states or Mexico.
:shake: :cry:

Image


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: The Environment Thread
PostPosted: Fri July 15, 2016 1:28 am 
Offline
Future Drummer
 Profile

Joined: Wed April 20, 2016 7:11 pm
Posts: 2199
Apparently "The Day After Tomorrow" is a real thing now:

http://www.sciencemag.org/news/2016/06/ ... ate-change

http://www.atmos-chem-phys.net/16/3761/ ... 1-2016.pdf


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: The Environment Thread
PostPosted: Sat October 15, 2016 7:08 pm 
Offline
User avatar
Future Drummer
 Profile

Joined: Tue January 01, 2013 10:41 am
Posts: 3294
Location: Calgary, AB, Canada
Image
U.S. megadrought is around the corner

_________________
"I'll hold your wallet while you go fuck yourself"-David Letterman


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: The Environment Thread
PostPosted: Sat October 15, 2016 7:32 pm 
Offline
User avatar
An enigma of a man shaped hole in the wall between reality and the soul of the devil.
 Profile

Joined: Tue January 01, 2013 5:13 pm
Posts: 28594
Location: Anywhere mediocrity is celebrated.
heh Leonardo is having a bad day.

http://www.msn.com/en-sg/news/newsother ... ar-AAiYkk6

_________________
Gravity is pseudo science. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cJOZp2ZftCw


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: The Environment Thread
PostPosted: Tue January 10, 2017 6:52 pm 
Offline
User avatar
Future Drummer
 Profile

Joined: Tue January 01, 2013 10:41 am
Posts: 3294
Location: Calgary, AB, Canada
Scotland’s wind turbines provided more electricity than the country needed four days in a row

_________________
"I'll hold your wallet while you go fuck yourself"-David Letterman


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: The Environment Thread
PostPosted: Wed January 25, 2017 1:47 am 
Offline
User avatar
Future Drummer
 Profile

Joined: Tue January 01, 2013 10:41 am
Posts: 3294
Location: Calgary, AB, Canada
National park deletes tweets about climate science

_________________
"I'll hold your wallet while you go fuck yourself"-David Letterman


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: The Environment Thread
PostPosted: Wed January 25, 2017 2:00 am 
Offline
User avatar
10Club Complaint Department
 Profile

Joined: Tue September 24, 2013 5:56 pm
Posts: 16956
Stickman wrote:

We discussed this already in the Trump thread. Didn't want you to think that RM found it unimportant.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: The Environment Thread
PostPosted: Wed January 25, 2017 4:08 am 
Offline
User avatar
Future Drummer
 Profile

Joined: Tue January 01, 2013 10:41 am
Posts: 3294
Location: Calgary, AB, Canada
tragabigzanda wrote:
Stickman wrote:

We discussed this already in the Trump thread. Didn't want you to think that RM found it unimportant.


:thumbsup:

_________________
"I'll hold your wallet while you go fuck yourself"-David Letterman


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: The Environment Thread
PostPosted: Wed January 25, 2017 5:13 pm 
Offline
User avatar
Future Drummer
 Profile

Joined: Tue January 01, 2013 10:41 am
Posts: 3294
Location: Calgary, AB, Canada
The Resistance rises

_________________
"I'll hold your wallet while you go fuck yourself"-David Letterman


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: The Environment Thread
PostPosted: Mon January 30, 2017 8:00 pm 
Offline
User avatar
10Club Complaint Department
 Profile

Joined: Tue September 24, 2013 5:56 pm
Posts: 16956
So I watched a NOVA episode last night about nuclear power, and I am totally on board. Those new sodium reactors they are building look awesome.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: The Environment Thread
PostPosted: Mon January 30, 2017 9:02 pm 
Offline
Future Drummer
 Profile

Joined: Wed April 20, 2016 7:11 pm
Posts: 2199
tragabigzanda wrote:
So I watched a NOVA episode last night about nuclear power, and I am totally on board. Those new sodium reactors they are building look awesome.


Thorium, my even bro. Look at what India and China are doing.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: The Environment Thread
PostPosted: Mon January 30, 2017 9:19 pm 
Offline
User avatar
10Club Complaint Department
 Profile

Joined: Tue September 24, 2013 5:56 pm
Posts: 16956
Bi_3 wrote:
tragabigzanda wrote:
So I watched a NOVA episode last night about nuclear power, and I am totally on board. Those new sodium reactors they are building look awesome.


Thorium, my even bro. Look at what India and China are doing.

I think we're talking about the same thing, because the show did mention the advances in China. Liquid fuel, with an automatic cooling system? Is that like thorium? I said sodium because this tech is apparently an extension of tech from like 50 years ago that was based on the cooking properties of sodium and potassium.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: The Environment Thread
PostPosted: Mon January 30, 2017 9:32 pm 
Offline
Future Drummer
 Profile

Joined: Wed April 20, 2016 7:11 pm
Posts: 2199
tragabigzanda wrote:
Bi_3 wrote:
tragabigzanda wrote:
So I watched a NOVA episode last night about nuclear power, and I am totally on board. Those new sodium reactors they are building look awesome.


Thorium, my even bro. Look at what India and China are doing.

I think we're talking about the same thing, because the show did mention the advances in China. Liquid fuel, with an automatic cooling system? Is that like thorium? I said sodium because this tech is apparently an extension of tech from like 50 years ago that was based on the cooking properties of sodium and potassium.


Molten Salt Reactors? Yup. This is the bridge technology for us to use (especially to handle population increases in Africa) while we develop real renewables.


Top
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 132 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Board index » Word on the Street » News & Debate


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
It is currently Tue October 24, 2017 5:52 am