The board's server will undergo upgrade maintenance tonight, Nov 5, 2014, beginning approximately around 10 PM ET. Prepare for some possible down time during this process.
FAQ    Search

Board index » Word on the Street » News & Debate

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 686 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30 ... 35  Next
 Post subject: Re: The Environment Thread
PostPosted: Thu September 02, 2021 7:25 pm 
The Master

someone needs to invent more pervious concrete

PostPosted: Thu September 02, 2021 8:13 pm 
Misplaced My Sponge

Bi_3 wrote:

"Infrastructure"

I always hear lefties complain that CEQA is unfairly maligned, but anyone with enough money can stop or seriously delay any project from going forward.

Separately from self imposed restrictions, I'm not sure what water projects we could even try to build without the feds suing us over the delta smelt.

PostPosted: Thu September 02, 2021 11:36 pm 
Mind Your Tanners

Ida's remnants leave at least 45 dead after massive flooding in the East

PostPosted: Tue September 07, 2021 9:09 pm 
Looks Like a Cat

Whelp, I think I see your problem right there

PostPosted: Fri September 10, 2021 8:13 pm 
NEVER STOP JAMMING!

New superconducting magnet breaks magnetic field strength records major in advance toward fusion energy

Quote:
On Sept. 5, for the first time, a large high-temperature superconducting electromagnet was ramped up to a field strength of 20 tesla, the most powerful magnetic field of its kind ever created on Earth. That successful demonstration helps resolve the greatest uncertainty in the quest to build the world’s first fusion power plant.

Developing the new magnet is seen as the greatest technological hurdle to making that happen; its successful operation now opens the door to demonstrating fusion in a lab on Earth, which has been pursued for decades with limited progress. With the magnet technology now successfully demonstrated, the MIT-CFS collaboration is on track to build the world’s first fusion device that can create and confine a plasma that produces more energy than it consumes. That demonstration device, called SPARC, is targeted for completion in 2025.

PostPosted: Fri September 10, 2021 8:15 pm 
Future Drummer

McParadigm wrote:
New superconducting magnet breaks magnetic field strength records major in advance toward fusion energy

Quote:
On Sept. 5, for the first time, a large high-temperature superconducting electromagnet was ramped up to a field strength of 20 tesla, the most powerful magnetic field of its kind ever created on Earth. That successful demonstration helps resolve the greatest uncertainty in the quest to build the world’s first fusion power plant.

Developing the new magnet is seen as the greatest technological hurdle to making that happen; its successful operation now opens the door to demonstrating fusion in a lab on Earth, which has been pursued for decades with limited progress. With the magnet technology now successfully demonstrated, the MIT-CFS collaboration is on track to build the world’s first fusion device that can create and confine a plasma that produces more energy than it consumes. That demonstration device, called SPARC, is targeted for completion in 2025.

So the end of the world will be in 2025. Got it.

PostPosted: Fri September 10, 2021 8:18 pm 
Looks Like a Cat

blueviper wrote:
McParadigm wrote:

Quote:

So the end of the world will be in 2025. Got it.

quite the Event on the Horizon

PostPosted: Sun September 12, 2021 1:06 am 
Mind Your Tanners

That chart.

First, I laugh at sheep being on the thing at all. Take that Sheep!

Then, I laugh at Australia. Sorry, mates.

PostPosted: Mon September 13, 2021 3:50 pm 
The Master

Just a staggering loss of California’s Chinook salmon this year:

Quote:
California’s disappearing salmon
The drought, along with man-made impediments, places the state's Chinook salmon population at grave risk. Of the estimated 16,000 spring-run Chinook that made the journey from the Golden Gate Bridge to creeks across the Central Valley, about 14,500 have died, nearly all of them before spawning.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/nation/i ... table-high

PostPosted: Mon September 13, 2021 5:13 pm 
I've been POOSSTTIiiEEnngeeaahh

McParadigm wrote:

Quote:

Inadvertent proof the illuminati is in contact with extraterrestrials.

PostPosted: Thu September 16, 2021 5:12 pm 
Site Admin

This is going to be one of the biggest pieces of failure when it comes to AGW mitigation.

PostPosted: Thu September 16, 2021 5:26 pm 
See you in another life, brother

I just read a chapter in a book this morning that basically argues exactly that. When the anti-nuclear forces win the replacement is overwhelmingly fossil fuels with some token renewables thrown in and that the NRDC, Sierra Club, and EDF are basically complicit in this as they are well aware ahead of time that this will be the outcome. Admittedly, the book is very pro-nuclear so I need to read more on the anti-nuclear side of things, but it seems like nuclear should be much more embraced by the environmentalists/those concerned with climate change.

PostPosted: Thu September 16, 2021 5:29 pm 
Looks Like a Cat

4/5 wrote:
I just read a chapter in a book this morning that basically argues exactly that. When the anti-nuclear forces win the replacement is overwhelmingly fossil fuels with some token renewables thrown in and that the NRDC, Sierra Club, and EDF are basically complicit in this as they are well aware ahead of time that this will be the outcome. Admittedly, the book is very pro-nuclear so I need to read more on the anti-nuclear side of things, but it seems like nuclear should be much more embraced by the environmentalists/those concerned with climate change.

If there are no broken windows, what will the window makers do?

PostPosted: Thu September 16, 2021 6:04 pm 
The Master

McParadigm wrote:

Quote:

PostPosted: Sat September 18, 2021 11:55 am 
Looks Like a Cat

PostPosted: Sat September 18, 2021 3:47 pm 
Mind Your Tanners

Can you name that country?

PostPosted: Sat September 18, 2021 7:47 pm 
Mind Your Tanners

More climate pledges needed to avoid 'catastrophic' path, UN says

PostPosted: Sat September 18, 2021 8:32 pm 
Site Admin

Stickman wrote:
Funny to see this right after the map BI posted.

PostPosted: Sat September 18, 2021 9:04 pm 
An enigma of a man shaped hole in the wall between reality and the soul of the devil.

Surely a country like somalia is meeting the requirements?

“And truly, if life had no purpose, and I had to choose nonsense, this would be the most desirable nonsense for me as well."

PostPosted: Sat September 18, 2021 9:53 pm 
Future Drummer

Stickman wrote:

Pledges are what’s needed? I feel foolish for believing that action was required.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 686 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30 ... 35  Next

Board index » Word on the Street » News & Debate