The board's server will undergo upgrade maintenance tonight, Nov 5, 2014, beginning approximately around 10 PM ET. Prepare for some possible down time during this process.
FAQ    Search

Board index » Word on the Street » News & Debate

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 686 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35  Next
 Post subject: Re: The Environment Thread
PostPosted: Sun August 28, 2022 11:52 am 
Looks Like a Cat

simple schoolboy wrote:
Bi_3 wrote:
Looks like Washington and Massachusetts are jumping on the no-new-gas-cars after 2035 thing too.

You'd think after watching CA spend $5B over 14 years to build exactly zero miles of functional high speed rail service that other states might not be so quick to follow their lead on massive infrastructure spends.

If there were a state level initiative to gut CEQA or subsidize battery production it would make some sense, but after the shitshow we've seen in Europe with Energy prices, we're locking ourselves into a dependency on China for basic transportation/ infrastructure. Keeping Diablo Canyon open is not sufficient either, need to build new nuke plants if household electricity demand is going to significantly increase.

I wish this was stated more often when talking about green tech in the media. As much the world are slaves to them for microchips, the conversion to 'renewables' is gonna make it much worse.

PostPosted: Wed September 07, 2022 9:39 pm 
Looks Like a Cat

This definitely a sign they are ready to ban the sale of new ICE cars in the next 12 years.

PostPosted: Wed September 07, 2022 9:44 pm 
Misplaced My Sponge

Bi_3 wrote:
This definitely a sign they are ready to ban the sale of new ICE cars in the next 12 years.

I don't think there are any plans to increase storage or build more nuclear plants. It's cool though, the wealthy can have solar and home batteries.

PostPosted: Thu September 08, 2022 12:42 am 
NEVER STOP JAMMING!

apparently california's reserve batteries kick in based on energy price thresholds, not energy demand thresholds

so they kicked in too early recently and almost brought down the grid

great work, guys

All posts by this account, even those referencing real things, are entirely fictional and are for entertainment purposes only; i.e. very low-quality entertainment. These may contain coarse language and due to their content should not be viewed by anyone

PostPosted: Thu September 08, 2022 3:25 am 
Misplaced My Sponge

96583UP wrote:
apparently california's reserve batteries kick in based on energy price thresholds, not energy demand thresholds

great work, guys

Reserve batteries? Do you have a link?

Almost all on demand energy sources are petroleum based or sourced from outside the state.

PostPosted: Thu September 08, 2022 11:57 am 
NEVER STOP JAMMING!

simple schoolboy wrote:
96583UP wrote:

great work, guys

Almost all on demand energy sources are petroleum based or sourced from outside the state.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2022-09-07/california-s-battery-problems-add-to-threat-of-power-outages-in-grid-emergency

All posts by this account, even those referencing real things, are entirely fictional and are for entertainment purposes only; i.e. very low-quality entertainment. These may contain coarse language and due to their content should not be viewed by anyone

PostPosted: Thu September 08, 2022 5:22 pm 
Future Drummer

could sure use those fusion reactors now. Hurry up scientists!

PostPosted: Thu September 08, 2022 6:39 pm 
Misplaced My Sponge

96583UP wrote:
simple schoolboy wrote:
96583UP wrote:

great work, guys

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2022-09-07/california-s-battery-problems-add-to-threat-of-power-outages-in-grid-emergency

Thanks.

PostPosted: Mon September 12, 2022 3:56 pm 
Mind Your Tanners

All Earth's Records Are Being Broken: 'The Natural Cycle No Longer Applies

PostPosted: Wed October 12, 2022 1:34 pm 
Looks Like a Cat

Greta Thunberg Says Germany Should Keep Its Nuclear Plants Open

:roll:

PostPosted: Wed October 12, 2022 4:59 pm 
Looks Like a Cat

Also:

PostPosted: Fri October 14, 2022 5:45 pm 
Looks Like a Cat

Suddenly re-evaluating my stance on capital punishment.

PostPosted: Fri October 14, 2022 10:54 pm 
Mind Your Tanners

Yeah, this one missed the mark:

"Some people can't afford a can of soup!"

<empties a full soup can on a painting>

"Do something about oil!"

PostPosted: Sun October 16, 2022 2:19 pm 
An enigma of a man shaped hole in the wall between reality and the soul of the devil.

“And truly, if life had no purpose, and I had to choose nonsense, this would be the most desirable nonsense for me as well."

PostPosted: Tue October 18, 2022 3:42 pm 
Looks Like a Cat

PostPosted: Tue October 18, 2022 4:55 pm 
See you in another life, brother

Bi_3 wrote:

What's wrong with that?

PostPosted: Tue October 18, 2022 5:40 pm 
Looks Like a Cat

4/5 wrote:

Nothing, it's an eye roll because she was instrumental in getting Germany to shut them down in the first place and it took the tragedy in UKR for her to realize (or at least publicly admit) that a bridge technology is needed between coal and *magic fairy dust* and the obvious choice is nuclear.

PostPosted: Tue October 18, 2022 10:42 pm 
See you in another life, brother

Bi_3 wrote:
4/5 wrote:

Nothing, it's an eye roll because she was instrumental in getting Germany to shut them down in the first place and it took the tragedy in UKR for her to realize (or at least publicly admit) that a bridge technology is needed between coal and *magic fairy dust* and the obvious choice is nuclear.

Okay gotcha. I didn’t know that. Funny how so many people reflexively oppose a clean zero-emission efficient fuel source. Maybe we should all be more like France on this one thing.

PostPosted: Tue October 18, 2022 10:58 pm 
Misplaced My Sponge

4/5 wrote:
Bi_3 wrote:
4/5 wrote:

Okay gotcha. I didn’t know that. Funny how so many people reflexively oppose a clean zero-emission efficient fuel source. Maybe we should all be more like France on this one thing.

Russia has been giving money to European Greens who oppose fracking and nuclear for a while.

PostPosted: Thu October 20, 2022 4:24 am 
Misplaced My Sponge

Stock animals will often grow faster with the application of antibiotics. There's speculation that one of the reasons Americans are getting larger is that they are consuming those same antibiotics from the meat they consume.

What's the mechanism of antibiotics improving the efficiency of calorie absorbtion?

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 686 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35  Next

Board index » Word on the Street » News & Debate