The board's server will undergo upgrade maintenance tonight, Nov 5, 2014, beginning approximately around 10 PM ET. Prepare for some possible down time during this process.
FAQ    Search

Board index » Word on the Street » News & Debate

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 97 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Post subject: Re: The Welfare State
PostPosted: Fri October 25, 2013 5:12 pm 
post-structuralist

broken iris wrote:
malice wrote:
broken iris wrote:
malice wrote:
turned2black wrote:
So the GOP doesn't want poor women to have access to abortions AND they don't want to feed the poor babies that creates. Aren't they essentially propagating this "welfare state" that they hate so much?

but they do support the right to bear arms including assault weapons, perhaps they just want poor women shot?

I think they telling them to be responsible and not get pregnant.

so... they want to control my sex life but not my ability to shoot and kill school children?

interesting

A responsible gun owner would not shoot children.
A responsible parent would not burden the state with a child they cannot afford. Having sex does not mean pregnancy, if the parties are behaving in a personally responsible manner.

*I am not necessarily endorsing this view, but I do see some logic in it.

just a poke in the eye, sorry about that.
yes, i agree, it would be ideal to ensure that people (obviously not just women) having sex were not having children and rampantly abusing social services as a result, but there's also a heavy sympathetic vibe between conservation Republicans and the more fundamentalist religious organizations which includes a desire to not provide birth control services or sex education to anyone (although I'd wager that lower income teens would benefit fairly well from that kind of service?) - and I won't even bother going into the idea of providing abortion services within this context since it's not worth the energy on anyone's part here to argue for or against. but it's still a bit misguided to me in exactly where the GOP should be laying down its support.

cutting off their nose to spite their face etc?
my general supposition is the GOP is just doing anything and everything it can to win support for their up and coming bids for power in the next administration without much regard for what the implications are of their actions, and where these tricky overlaps in ideals exist.

Spoiler: show
people change. people stay the same. people are so often disappointing - random PM, person unnamed

PostPosted: Fri October 25, 2013 5:12 pm 
post-structuralist

turned2black wrote:
Rank 'em!

1. Abortion
2. Controlling malice's sex life
3. Shooting schoolchildren

lol at controlling my sex life in this list :haha:

Spoiler: show
people change. people stay the same. people are so often disappointing - random PM, person unnamed

PostPosted: Fri October 25, 2013 5:18 pm 
The worst

broken iris wrote:
malice wrote:
broken iris wrote:
malice wrote:
turned2black wrote:
So the GOP doesn't want poor women to have access to abortions AND they don't want to feed the poor babies that creates. Aren't they essentially propagating this "welfare state" that they hate so much?

but they do support the right to bear arms including assault weapons, perhaps they just want poor women shot?

so... they want to control my sex life but not my ability to shoot and kill school children?

interesting

A responsible parent would not burden the state with a child they cannot afford. Having sex does not mean pregnancy, if the parties are behaving in a personally responsible manner.

They wouldn't in either case, but this is just moralizing. It is neither politics nor policy. The world is full of irresponsible gun owners and children people cannot afford to raise (which may not have been the case when they had them). The question is not whether or not these things SHOULD exist. They do. What does the larger community do about it?

I Am No Guide - Pearl Jam Song by Song - Coming this July!
He/Him/His

PostPosted: Fri October 25, 2013 5:26 pm 
Future Drummer

malice wrote:
yes, i agree, it would be ideal to ensure that people (obviously not just women) having sex were not having children and rampantly abusing social services as a result, but there's also a heavy sympathetic vibe between conservation Republicans and the more fundamentalist religious organizations which includes a desire to not provide birth control services or sex education to anyone (although I'd wager that lower income teens would benefit fairly well from that kind of service?) - and I won't even bother going into the idea of providing abortion services within this context since it's not worth the energy on anyone's part here to argue for or against. but it's still a bit misguided to me in exactly where the GOP should be laying down its support.

my general supposition is the GOP is just doing anything and everything it can to win support for their up and coming bids for power in the next administration without much regard for what the implications are of their actions, and where these tricky overlaps in ideals exist.

I agree. Liberals have that old saying: "To a conservative life begins at conception and ends at birth". Seems pretty true for the Tea Party crew.

PostPosted: Fri October 25, 2013 5:28 pm 
The worst

malice wrote:
broken iris wrote:
malice wrote:
broken iris wrote:
malice wrote:
turned2black wrote:

interesting

A few things regarding this:

1. It is true that it is far easier to criticize or just say whatever you want when you are out of power. Actually governing is much more difficult, and you may be forced to answer for promises and policies that make no sense.

2. There is a fairly coherent, if sometimes repulsive and often empirically inaccurate, ideology that can justify a lot of these seeming contradictions.

3. The party organization (which will say whatever it needs to say to get its members elected--which is its job, after all--hence the 180 on immigration after 2012) is not always on the same page as the ideological core of its base. And candidates are not always on the same page as either.

When we talk about political parties it is sometimes helpful to break them down into their component parts. There's not really a Republican or Democratic party in the monolithic sense that we often think about it.

There's the party members holding office, whose primary concern is often just to get themselves reelected. This may require honoring ideological commitments of their voters, addressing the needs of donors, or doing what is best for the people of their district even if it flies in the face of ideology (witness the constant about face on federal disaster relief you see with republicans). Ted Cruz may have hurt the national republican party, but he probably greatly expanded his own personal celebrity within the activist base of his party, increased his donor e-mail list, and established himself as a factional leader. even if he hurts the GOP's 2016 presidential chances, or costs the party the senate (even the house) in 2014, he still comes out ahead.

There is the party organization--the professional republican and democrats who mostly just want to see their party do well. This could mean pursuing the plurality strategy of karl rove under bush (there are enough conservatives out there that if we can just rile them up enough to vote we'll win and don't need to appeal to moderate voters), or reaching out to a wider audience when the base isn't robust enough (see republicans and immigration, right now). It may mean looking for more moderate or liberal candidates in some areas and more conservative candidates than others. This is not to downplay ideological commitments too much, but the goal is to win elections.

And then there is the party base. The rank and file voters. They could be motivated by ideology. They could be motivated by the quality of their life (this guy does stuff for me/my district). They could be motivated by partisanship (which is not the same thing as ideology. The tea party is ideological more than it is partisan). And even with ideology that varies from region to region.

Sorry, more unsolicited context than anyone likely cares about

He/Him/His

PostPosted: Fri October 25, 2013 5:29 pm 
The worst

broken iris wrote:
malice wrote:

I agree. Liberals have that old saying: "To a conservative life begins at conception and ends at birth". Seems pretty true for the Tea Party crew.

that's a good line. I've always liked 'a liberal is a conservative who has never been mugged.'

He/Him/His

PostPosted: Fri October 25, 2013 6:17 pm 
Misplaced My Sponge

turned2black wrote:
Rank 'em!

1. Abortion

tie malice up, fuck her then kill the fetus

winner winner chicken dinner

PostPosted: Fri October 25, 2013 6:45 pm 
Site Admin

stip wrote:
surfndestroy wrote:
Green Habit wrote:
I'd just like to replace the need-specific programs with a more aggressive EITC.
I would support this.
I would too, provided there were enough jobs. But something has to be in place for people who can't work.
Social Security disability?

PostPosted: Fri October 25, 2013 6:50 pm 
An enigma of a man shaped hole in the wall between reality and the soul of the devil.

“And truly, if life had no purpose, and I had to choose nonsense, this would be the most desirable nonsense for me as well."

Last edited by BurtReynolds on Mon March 06, 2023 5:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri October 25, 2013 6:55 pm 
The worst

As long as it was enough. Politically it would probably be impossible but it would be helpful if these things could be indexed regionally.

The empirical tests for what is needed to live at a standard people would find acceptable (not having to choose between food and medince, paying rent, etc) does not seem like it should be prohibitively difficult to figure out. I agree that some sort of EITC that gets everyone to that level (or a mix of EITC and SS or something) would be preferable to the piecemeal approaches we have now.

http://livingwage.mit.edu/

offers a sample standard

He/Him/His

PostPosted: Fri October 25, 2013 6:56 pm 
The worst

BurtReynolds wrote:
Is a welfare state inevitable? An ever increasing pool of unskilled labor, technology eradicating the need for it, and skilled positions not even coming close to making up the difference. The end of work and all that.

But we're all going to drown in 30 years anyway.

It probably is. It's not necessarily a bad thing either. If we've advanced technologically to the point where we can meet people's basic needs, even moderate luxury needs, without having everyone needing to work all the time why not construct a society where people work less and have more time to, you know, live?

He/Him/His

PostPosted: Fri October 25, 2013 7:02 pm 
An enigma of a man shaped hole in the wall between reality and the soul of the devil.

“And truly, if life had no purpose, and I had to choose nonsense, this would be the most desirable nonsense for me as well."

Last edited by BurtReynolds on Mon March 06, 2023 5:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri October 25, 2013 7:07 pm 
Site Admin

stip wrote:
http://livingwage.mit.edu/
I really like that that site broke it down by family size. 99% of the time I read living wage literature it only gives a listing for a family of four, and inevitably righties think it's too much and lefties think it's not enough.

PostPosted: Fri October 25, 2013 7:25 pm 
Misplaced My Sponge

Peeps wrote:
turned2black wrote:
Rank 'em!

1. Abortion

Good idea, but there are no more bullets left in my gun. :\

PostPosted: Fri October 25, 2013 9:06 pm 
Future Drummer

Peeps wrote:
turned2black wrote:
Rank 'em!

1. Abortion

PostPosted: Fri October 25, 2013 10:18 pm 
10Club Complaint Department

I'm all about the Welfare State, stip. I'd be dead without it.

PostPosted: Fri October 25, 2013 11:23 pm 
The worst

you shouldn't have made all those poor choices, Harmless

He/Him/His

PostPosted: Fri October 25, 2013 11:25 pm 

:lol:

PostPosted: Sat October 26, 2013 12:10 am 
Future Drummer

BurtReynolds wrote:
stip wrote:
BurtReynolds wrote:
Is a welfare state inevitable? An ever increasing pool of unskilled labor, technology eradicating the need for it, and skilled positions not even coming close to making up the difference. The end of work and all that.

It probably is. It's not necessarily a bad thing either. If we've advanced technologically to the point where we can meet people's basic needs, even moderate luxury needs, without having everyone needing to work all the time why not construct a society where people work less and have more time to, you know, live?

The problem is that could have happened decades ago, but our population quickly expanded to create more need, and moderating consumption isn't going to happen voluntarily. I'm more cynical about population growth declining than most people. I see 90% of the problems on N&D as really symptoms of the one larger problem that no one wants to talk about.

Society will have this talk soon enough. Science is proceeding pretty rapidly at mapping the brain and correlation studies showing relationships between things like IQ and political persuasion with genetics are become more common (something no one dared touch for years after The Bell Curve). At some point it will become apparent what an "optimal" human consists of and the suboptimal will be left to rot eliminating their consumption in what is likely in involuntary manner.

PostPosted: Sat October 26, 2013 12:14 am 

broken iris wrote:
BurtReynolds wrote:
stip wrote:
BurtReynolds wrote:

The problem is that could have happened decades ago, but our population quickly expanded to create more need, and moderating consumption isn't going to happen voluntarily. I'm more cynical about population growth declining than most people. I see 90% of the problems on N&D as really symptoms of the one larger problem that no one wants to talk about.

Society will have this talk soon enough. Science is proceeding pretty rapidly at mapping the brain and correlation studies showing relationships between things like IQ and political persuasion with genetics are become more common (something no one dared touch for years after The Bell Curve). At some point it will become apparent what an "optimal" human consists of and the suboptimal will be left to rot eliminating their consumption in what is likely in involuntary manner.

I can't fucking wait.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 97 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Board index » Word on the Street » News & Debate