The board's server will undergo upgrade maintenance tonight, Nov 5, 2014, beginning approximately around 10 PM ET. Prepare for some possible down time during this process.
FAQ    Search

Board index » Word on the Street » News & Debate




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 13 posts ] 
Author Message
 Post subject: The Twitter IPO
PostPosted: Thu October 31, 2013 11:36 pm 
Offline
User avatar
Future Drummer
 Profile

Joined: Mon February 18, 2013 4:40 pm
Posts: 2000
Location: Cracktown, Great White North
Should I get in on it? I'm kicking myself for not buying Facebook when it crashed shortly after its IPO...it was such an obvious gimme at that price. Should I:

a) buy stock right at the IPO

b) wait a bit and see if it drops hard immediately post-IPO

c) stay the hell away


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: The Twitter IPO
PostPosted: Thu October 31, 2013 11:44 pm 
Offline
NEVER STOP JAMMING!
 Profile

Joined: Tue January 01, 2013 3:45 pm
Posts: 20667
Location: the beach
tough call...its smaller and more conservative than facebooks IPO..I think theyr're valued at 10 times forward revenue and as of now not profitable where facebook valued itself at about 20 x...I'm not touching it but if you do, good luck..let us know what happens


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: The Twitter IPO
PostPosted: Fri November 01, 2013 8:06 pm 
Offline
User avatar
Worst Moderator
 Profile

Joined: Tue January 01, 2013 2:48 pm
Posts: 49289
I bet thodoks is selling his shares of Jos. A. Bank right now to cash in on this.

_________________
Clouuuuds Rolll byyy...BANG BANG BANG BANG


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: The Twitter IPO
PostPosted: Wed November 06, 2013 11:37 am 
Offline
User avatar
Future Drummer
 Profile

Joined: Tue January 01, 2013 3:24 pm
Posts: 3076
Location: Death Machine Inc's HQ
doug rr wrote:
tough call...its smaller and more conservative than facebooks IPO..I think theyr're valued at 10 times forward revenue and as of now not profitable where facebook valued itself at about 20 x...I'm not touching it but if you do, good luck..let us know what happens


I don't claim to be in-the-know here, but is any of this actually relevant anymore? I appears to be investor momentum that drives swings stock price changes, not long term finances like it was pre-DotCom Bublé.

_________________
the sentinel remains vigilant


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: The Twitter IPO
PostPosted: Wed November 06, 2013 2:38 pm 
Offline
Broken Tamborine
 Profile

Joined: Thu January 03, 2013 2:59 am
Posts: 275
broken iris wrote:
doug rr wrote:
tough call...its smaller and more conservative than facebooks IPO..I think theyr're valued at 10 times forward revenue and as of now not profitable where facebook valued itself at about 20 x...I'm not touching it but if you do, good luck..let us know what happens


I don't claim to be in-the-know here, but is any of this actually relevant anymore? I appears to be investor momentum that drives swings stock price changes, not long term finances like it was pre-DotCom Bublé.


It's only true for a handful of stocks most of the market trades based on actual finances. The market is not in a bubble, it's trading at about 16x earnings which is the historical average. You could make an argument about the quality of earnings now versus history though. I think sooner or later if the economy doesn't pick up, companies will only being able to cut expenses so much before earnings slide. Revenue is only growing in single digits.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: The Twitter IPO
PostPosted: Wed November 06, 2013 5:33 pm 
Offline
NEVER STOP JAMMING!
 Profile

Joined: Tue January 01, 2013 3:45 pm
Posts: 20667
Location: the beach
looks like they're getting a little greedy now...was going to price 17-20 but at the end of the bell today they'll probably price around 27


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: The Twitter IPO
PostPosted: Wed November 06, 2013 11:56 pm 
Offline
Broken Tamborine
 Profile

Joined: Thu January 03, 2013 2:59 am
Posts: 275
doug rr wrote:
looks like they're getting a little greedy now...was going to price 17-20 but at the end of the bell today they'll probably price around 27


$26


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: The Twitter IPO
PostPosted: Thu November 07, 2013 12:27 am 
Offline
User avatar
RM Elitist
 Profile

Joined: Tue January 01, 2013 8:43 pm
Posts: 13442

_________________
dimejinky99 wrote:
Hang on I check on my Grindr


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: The Twitter IPO
PostPosted: Thu November 07, 2013 2:49 pm 
Offline
User avatar
AnalLog
 WWW  Profile

Joined: Wed January 02, 2013 6:05 pm
Posts: 1278
Location: Montreal, QC
This is getting close.

_________________
chud wrote:
Posting! Glorious posting!


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: The Twitter IPO
PostPosted: Thu November 07, 2013 3:11 pm 
Offline
Broken Tamborine
 Profile

Joined: Thu January 03, 2013 2:59 am
Posts: 275
Only in media-land could a company IPO and leave $1.4B on the table be considered a huge success. This thing was clearly mis-priced and I'd be pissed if I were Twitter.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: The Twitter IPO
PostPosted: Thu November 07, 2013 3:50 pm 
Offline
NEVER STOP JAMMING!
 Profile

Joined: Tue January 01, 2013 3:45 pm
Posts: 20667
Location: the beach
open around $45....short it


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: The Twitter IPO
PostPosted: Thu November 07, 2013 5:15 pm 
Offline
User avatar
AnalLog
 Profile

Joined: Wed January 16, 2013 10:46 pm
Posts: 1600
Location: Wrigleyville
doug rr wrote:
open around $45....short it


What do you mean?


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: The Twitter IPO
PostPosted: Fri November 08, 2013 8:50 pm 
Offline
NEVER STOP JAMMING!
 Profile

Joined: Tue January 01, 2013 3:45 pm
Posts: 20667
Location: the beach
Fuck You Jobu wrote:
doug rr wrote:
open around $45....short it


What do you mean?


sorry, just saw this..I figured some people would make more money shorting this stock and "betting" it will go much lower..which is now starting to happen..its sitting now at about 41.30...same shit always happens with a over hyped IPO...its way over priced


Top
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 13 posts ] 

Board index » Word on the Street » News & Debate


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
It is currently Mon June 25, 2018 2:37 am