The board's server will undergo upgrade maintenance tonight, Nov 5, 2014, beginning approximately around 10 PM ET. Prepare for some possible down time during this process.
FAQ    Search

Board index » Word on the Street » News & Debate

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1065 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 54  Next
 Post subject: Re: Feminism
PostPosted: Sat September 28, 2013 12:17 pm 
The worst

That's because you can't accessorize like a feminist

I Am No Guide - Pearl Jam Song by Song - Coming this July!
He/Him/His

PostPosted: Sat September 28, 2013 3:23 pm 
for those who
are not...shall be

from the Wiki:

Feminism is a collection of movements and ideologies aimed at defining, establishing, and defending equal political, economic, and social rights for women.[1][2] This includes seeking to establish equal opportunities for women in education and employment. A feminist advocates or supports the rights and equality of women.

so, according to this definition, I don't think a feminist is someone with just a passive belief on how things should be, but rather is someone active and vocal in the social establishment of said beliefs.

By this activist definition, no I am not a feminist.

But for discussion purposes, of course I believe that women should have equal political, economic, and social rights, especially on a worldwide basis.

Feminism also usually comes with a negative fanatical connotation, perhaps by feminists taking the "equal" thing beyond the political, economic and social realms.
For instance, the right to vote, run for office, and earn equal pay for equal work is what should be promoted;
this does not mean that a woman should act insulted because a gentleman wants to open the door for her, etc.

PostPosted: Sat September 28, 2013 3:27 pm 
10Club Complaint Department

That depends on whether you think "seeking to establish" or "advocating" requires a public platform or not. I don't think it does; it's just as important to establish feminism in everyday life, whoever we are, as it is to use your public voice if you're lucky enough to have one. As a disabled person, I seek to establish disabled rights just by existing. Any public advocacy I do is just an extension of that.

PostPosted: Sat September 28, 2013 3:30 pm 

Also, a woman should act insulted by anything she wants. I don't think "should" comes into it, that's part of the problem feminism seeks to address.

PostPosted: Sat September 28, 2013 3:54 pm 
Broken Tamborine

knee tunes wrote:
from the Wiki:

Feminism is a collection of movements and ideologies aimed at defining, establishing, and defending equal political, economic, and social rights for women.[1][2] This includes seeking to establish equal opportunities for women in education and employment. A feminist advocates or supports the rights and equality of women.

so, according to this definition, I don't think a feminist is someone with just a passive belief on how things should be, but rather is someone active and vocal in the social establishment of said beliefs.

By this activist definition, no I am not a feminist.

But for discussion purposes, of course I believe that women should have equal political, economic, and social rights, especially on a worldwide basis.

Feminism also usually comes with a negative fanatical connotation, perhaps by feminists taking the "equal" thing beyond the political, economic and social realms.
For instance, the right to vote, run for office, and earn equal pay for equal work is what should be promoted;
this does not mean that a woman should act insulted because a gentleman wants to open the door for her, etc.

I would dispute that it 'usually' comes with a negative fanatical connotation. I speak to a lot of feminists, both activist and not and have yet to meet any of the mythical creatures who spit on chivalrous men. I'm sure they are out there, but man-hating isn't the norm. Most of the people I speak to don't wear a feminism badge, and most of them don't rage about inequality day in day out. You wouldn't know unless you asked them. Or unless you followed them on Twitter.

It's true that there are different agendas for different feminists. And that there are lots of disagreements within feminism. But that's just people and politics. But you are free to believe in equality for women and not call yourself a feminist. That's the point of feminism IMO.

PostPosted: Sat September 28, 2013 7:19 pm 
Site Admin

knee tunes wrote:
from the Wiki:

See, to me, that strikes me as "equality of the sexes"-ism, but if the consensus labels this feminism, then you can count me in.

PostPosted: Sat September 28, 2013 7:47 pm 
The worst

in some respects it is kind of an empty definition because the meat is in how you define things like equal opportunity, etc.

He/Him/His

PostPosted: Sat September 28, 2013 7:49 pm 

Green Habit wrote:
knee tunes wrote:
from the Wiki:

See, to me, that strikes me as "equality of the sexes"-ism, but if the consensus labels this feminism, then you can count me in.

Yup. There is good and bad within every movement, but feminism (like all minority movements, really) only asks for equality. If it's reactive, it is only so because for centuries, patriarchy has had the monopoly on what "equality" means, and what everyone's "station" in society should be. I think many of the stereotypes about man-hatred and bra-burning etc. are written by men, unsurprisingly. I don't really believe in man-hatred as a destructive force, personally, just as I don't seriously believe in what some people call "reverse racism".

PostPosted: Sat September 28, 2013 7:51 pm 
The worst

feminism is to man hating as Christianity is to the westboro baptist church

He/Him/His

PostPosted: Sat September 28, 2013 7:53 pm 

stip wrote:
feminism is to man hating as Christianity is to the westboro baptist church

I give you an A+

PostPosted: Sat September 28, 2013 8:13 pm 
Site Admin

stip wrote:
in some respects it is kind of an empty definition because the meat is in how you define things like equal opportunity, etc.
Agreed.

PostPosted: Sat September 28, 2013 8:20 pm 
An enigma of a man shaped hole in the wall between reality and the soul of the devil.

Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetur adipiscing elit, sed do eiusmod tempor incididunt ut labore et dolore magna aliqua. Ut enim ad minim veniam, quis nostrud exercitation ullamco laboris nisi ut aliquip ex ea commodo consequat. Duis aute irure dolor in reprehenderit in voluptate velit esse cillum dolore eu fugiat nulla pariatur. Excepteur sint occaecat cupidatat non proident, sunt in culpa qui officia deserunt mollit anim id est laborum.

“And truly, if life had no purpose, and I had to choose nonsense, this would be the most desirable nonsense for me as well."

Last edited by BurtReynolds on Thu March 09, 2023 7:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sat September 28, 2013 8:22 pm 
NYUCK NYUCK NYUCK

BurtReynolds wrote:
The occasional Jezebel article pisses me off, but thats really just another pandering, sensationalist scumbag Gawker blog, so I shouldn't even include them.

It is our duty to be angered by these articles. It's supposed to hurt. Embrace the burn.

PostPosted: Sat September 28, 2013 8:32 pm 
An enigma of a man shaped hole in the wall between reality and the soul of the devil.

Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetur adipiscing elit, sed do eiusmod tempor incididunt ut labore et dolore magna aliqua. Ut enim ad minim veniam, quis nostrud exercitation ullamco laboris nisi ut aliquip ex ea commodo consequat. Duis aute irure dolor in reprehenderit in voluptate velit esse cillum dolore eu fugiat nulla pariatur. Excepteur sint occaecat cupidatat non proident, sunt in culpa qui officia deserunt mollit anim id est laborum.

“And truly, if life had no purpose, and I had to choose nonsense, this would be the most desirable nonsense for me as well."

Last edited by BurtReynolds on Thu March 09, 2023 7:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sat September 28, 2013 8:34 pm 

I think it's important that any good feminist stuff is also intersectional. Some people find Jezebel to be lacking in that department, although it provokes a discussion. A better blog (UK-based) would be The F-Word. I know a couple of people who've written for that.

PostPosted: Sat September 28, 2013 10:15 pm 
Future Drummer

Green Habit wrote:
knee tunes wrote:
from the Wiki:

It's not even close to "equality of the sexes" until it cares about areas where men or children get the shaft or women are privileged. Things such as life expectancy, child custody, children's right to have and know their father, post secondary rates.

PostPosted: Sat September 28, 2013 10:27 pm 
Broken Tamborine

You know when you go to reply to something and then you realise that your time would be much better spent just drinking wine and whacking off to pictures of Benedict Cumberbatch?

BRB.

PostPosted: Sat September 28, 2013 10:36 pm 
post-structuralist

Sarah. wrote:
You know when you go to reply to something and then you realise that your time would be much better spent just drinking wine and whacking off to pictures of Benedict Cumberbatch?

BRB.

pretty much

Spoiler: show
people change. people stay the same. people are so often disappointing - random PM, person unnamed

PostPosted: Sat September 28, 2013 10:39 pm 
Future Drummer

malice wrote:
Sarah. wrote:

BRB.

pretty much

So you have no argument. Enjoy your wine.

PostPosted: Sat September 28, 2013 10:40 pm 
post-structuralist

surfndestroy wrote:
malice wrote:
Sarah. wrote:

BRB.

pretty much

So you have no argument. Enjoy your wine.

I have no energy to go through this kind of bullshit with you again, but thanks.

Spoiler: show
people change. people stay the same. people are so often disappointing - random PM, person unnamed

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1065 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 54  Next

Board index » Word on the Street » News & Debate