The board's server will undergo upgrade maintenance tonight, Nov 5, 2014, beginning approximately around 10 PM ET. Prepare for some possible down time during this process.
FAQ    Search

Board index » Word on the Street » News & Debate

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1065 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 50, 51, 52, 53, 54  Next
 Post subject: Re: Feminism
PostPosted: Fri February 19, 2016 11:09 am 
Broken Tamborine

stip wrote:
Green Habit wrote:
b_i_revisited wrote:
Projecting this forward, you can see parity will be achieved within the Millennial generation without anyone doing anything more than has already been done and that's where the use of "legacy data" is misleading.
Millennials are indeed doing better than their peers, and that'll probably stay that way in the end. However, a potential game changer is when they have children en masse, which shows a weakness in your first chart. (And remember, the latest birth cohorts of the Millennial Generation are likely to be 2004, so we have a ways to go here).

The big question is whether or not men will be willing to curtail or give up their careers to instead take care of their kids. I have yet to see good evidence of this.

or if our system will really readjust itself in such a way as to make professional careers compatible with the demands of raising children.

This starts at the federal level. Treating a two working parent family earning $75k each the same as a family where one parent is a lawyer earning $150k and one is a stay-a-home is kinda bullshit, especially when daycare runs $1400-$1500/month/child. It puts enormous and disproportionate pressure on women to choose between their kids on their careers.

http://www.livefootsteps.org/user/?usr=1278

PostPosted: Fri February 19, 2016 12:24 pm 
The worst

it requires changes at every level for sure

Running TSIS Review

I Am No Guide - Pearl Jam Song by Song - Coming this July!
He/Him/His

PostPosted: Fri February 19, 2016 12:26 pm 
The worst

surfndestroy wrote:
stip wrote:
Green Habit wrote:
b_i_revisited wrote:
Projecting this forward, you can see parity will be achieved within the Millennial generation without anyone doing anything more than has already been done and that's where the use of "legacy data" is misleading.
Millennials are indeed doing better than their peers, and that'll probably stay that way in the end. However, a potential game changer is when they have children en masse, which shows a weakness in your first chart. (And remember, the latest birth cohorts of the Millennial Generation are likely to be 2004, so we have a ways to go here).

The big question is whether or not men will be willing to curtail or give up their careers to instead take care of their kids. I have yet to see good evidence of this.

or if our system will really readjust itself in such a way as to make professional careers compatible with the demands of raising children.

I've had a professional career the whole time being a single parent. I had no problems in my career or juggling a career and raising a kid. It did hinder some career advancement but that's because I chose not to make it a priority over child rearing.

Professionals shouldn't have much of a problem as most professionals have a pretty large amount of control over their schedule and are able to easily accommodate the needs of a kid or two into that flexible schedule. I think it is much more blue collar workers and white collar admin/support workers who lack the flexibility to easily combine kids and work.

you may have been lucky in that your career affords you that flexibility, but i woukd be careful reading your case as the norm. you are right that certain types of work have it even worse

Running TSIS Review

I Am No Guide - Pearl Jam Song by Song - Coming this July!
He/Him/His

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2016 7:24 pm 
The Master

This could go in a number of threads, but thought this one could use a bump:

Steve Albini on feminism, his role as an ally, and how his music often explores unattractive parts of the male psyche:

http://www.listenlistenlisten.org/stevealbini/

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2016 7:18 pm 
Future Drummer

tragabigzanda wrote:

Steve Albini on feminism, his role as an ally, and how his music often explores unattractive parts of the male psyche:

I think Steve's type of ally is questionable at best. Big on words but nothing shown in actions. Does he employee men and women at a fairly 50/50 split? Does he work for men and women and a fairly 50/50 split? While he knows he attracts a "bro-ish" crowd does he enforce rules that provide for the safety of all his fans? His big achievement seems to be that he ran a forum where he allowed users to self-police themselves. I don't think that counts as taking action.
I like some of his work quite a bit, but has there ever been an interview where he doesn't come across as self-important?

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2016 8:15 pm 
The Master

surfndestroy wrote:
tragabigzanda wrote:

I think Steve's type of ally is questionable at best. Big on words but nothing shown in actions. Does he employee men and women at a fairly 50/50 split? Does he work for men and women and a fairly 50/50 split? While he knows he attracts a "bro-ish" crowd does he enforce rules that provide for the safety of all his fans? His big achievement seems to be that he ran a forum where he allowed users to self-police themselves. I don't think that counts as taking action.
I like some of his work quite a bit, but has there ever been an interview where he doesn't come across as self-important?

Mixed feelings on this post.

1. I concede that Albini always comes across as self-important. It's all a put-on, because he is known to be a very empathetic and generally good person in pro music circles. Here's an anecdote I heard once: At a Tape Op conference, after Steve went on some sort of rant while on a panel, a female attendant said, "Steve, I know you well, and I know it's all an act. You're always pretending to be such a cynical guy, but anyone who knows you knows you're a good guy." He responded "Shut up, woman." The crowd laughed.

2. I love Shellac.

3. I'd argue that his biggest contribution is providing a model for literally thousands of working musicians for how to approach their art and commerce: not with stars in their eyes or some sort of angle, but rather to view music as a way to connect with other people, and to accept that there is no real money to be made (or that any money one might make comes with so many compromises that it essentially becomes a "job" just like any other gig).

4. I disagree on the "Big on words but nothing shown in actions" comment. I do believe in his type of ally; I believe that one of the best things a feminist-sympathizing man can do is provide a model for other men for how to behave. I think he's done a fine job of this, particularly later in his career. The hardcore Albini fans -- the ones that are on the Electrical Audio forum, that pick up every recording he touches, etc -- are a fairly enlightened bunch. They know his lyrical portrayals of misogyny serve to illustrate the nonsense behind the testosterone-driven psyche. Asking a studio owner to employee 50% women is a bit like asking an auto mechanic to do the same: Of course there are talented women out there vying for those jobs, but they are few-and-far between, and Steve's music doesn't attract a lot of women. He'd have to go pretty far out of his way to hire 50% women, when I know he has a stack of resumes from talented men who are eager to start working in his studio by making coffee and scrubbing toilets. As for whether or not he enforces rules at Shellac gigs that ensure the safety of his fans -- I've never been to a Shellac gig that felt even remotely dangerous. I think those days for him ended around the time of Big Black.

I appreciate the collective obligation we have to create a safe and prosperous world for women, but sometimes a guy is better suited to be an ally on his own terms. Steve is amazingly talented at making records that explore the male psyche (I'd argue that Dude Incredible is an entire album about this concept), and his art had done as much for my outlook on male/female dynamics as has any of the Riot Grrrl stuff I've consumed.

PostPosted: Sun July 02, 2017 4:27 pm 
Future Drummer

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2017-06-30/b ... dy/8664888

Quote:
In a bid to eliminate sexism, thousands of public servants have been told to pick recruits who have had all mention of their gender and ethnic background stripped from their CVs. The assumption behind the trial is that management will hire more women when they can only consider the professional merits of candidates.

Professor Michael Hiscox, a Harvard academic who oversaw the trial, said he was shocked by the results and has urged caution.

"We anticipated this would have a positive impact on diversity — making it more likely that female candidates and those from ethnic minorities are selected for the shortlist," he said. "We found the opposite, that de-identifying candidates reduced the likelihood of women being selected for the shortlist."

The trial found assigning a male name to a candidate made them 3.2 per cent less likely to get a job interview. Adding a woman's name to a CV made the candidate 2.9 per cent more likely to get a foot in the door.

PostPosted: Tue July 04, 2017 8:45 pm 
An enigma of a man shaped hole in the wall between reality and the soul of the devil.

Sex differences in fireworks-related hospitalizations by age:

you win this round, womyn.

“And truly, if life had no purpose, and I had to choose nonsense, this would be the most desirable nonsense for me as well."

PostPosted: Tue July 04, 2017 9:01 pm 
post-structuralist

I kinda miss snd making nonsensical posts in this thread

Spoiler: show
people change. people stay the same. people are so often disappointing - random PM, person unnamed

PostPosted: Wed July 05, 2017 2:27 am 
I Have A Third Nipple

BurtReynolds wrote:

75+ women are always down for a good time.

PostPosted: Wed July 05, 2017 4:40 pm 
Troglodyte
 WWW  Profile

BurtReynolds wrote:

Is this just because women are too dainty to handle the manly fireworks?

PostPosted: Fri August 04, 2017 8:10 pm 
An enigma of a man shaped hole in the wall between reality and the soul of the devil.

“She’s a fatty, but I love her.”

“And truly, if life had no purpose, and I had to choose nonsense, this would be the most desirable nonsense for me as well."

PostPosted: Fri August 04, 2017 8:11 pm 
The Master

That guy looks like a chode.

PostPosted: Fri August 04, 2017 8:16 pm 
post-structuralist

BurtReynolds wrote:

“She’s a fatty, but I love her.”

he's always been teased because he likes thicker women

people change. people stay the same. people are so often disappointing - random PM, person unnamed

PostPosted: Fri August 04, 2017 8:18 pm 

I had no idea I was such a feminist. I love big bootys.

PostPosted: Fri August 04, 2017 8:19 pm 
post-structuralist

BurtReynolds wrote:
I had no idea I was such a feminist. I love big bootys.

maybe you're black

PostPosted: Fri August 04, 2017 8:21 pm 

probably

PostPosted: Mon January 07, 2019 5:43 pm 
Looks Like a Cat

Oh shit.

https://journals.plos.org/plosone/article?id=10.1371/journal.pone.0205349

PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2019 2:09 pm 
Looks Like a Cat

Huh.

https://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/2019/may/10/and-the-least-feminist-nation-in-the-world-is-denmark

PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2019 2:13 pm 
The Master

Why is it confusing that a less misogynistic society would have fewer feminists? Seems like that makes perfect sense. Being a feminist is a reaction to societal misogyny.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1065 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 50, 51, 52, 53, 54  Next

Board index » Word on the Street » News & Debate