The board's server will undergo upgrade maintenance tonight, Nov 5, 2014, beginning approximately around 10 PM ET. Prepare for some possible down time during this process.
FAQ    Search

Board index » Word on the Street » News & Debate

Post subject: Charity, Philanthropy, and whatnot
PostPosted: Mon September 23, 2013 2:30 pm 
Misplaced My Sponge

This could use a better opening introductory post, but here goes. Inspired by a half forgotten discussion of philanthropic organizations and their disconnect from their founders. Continued from the guns thread:
Citizen Dick wrote:
Human Bass wrote:
Frankly, haters gonna hate but this pretty much kills the debate: http://www.examiner.com/article/harvard ... save-lives

:haha: Are you serious?

It's not a "Harvard study". It's written in the Harvard Journal of Law and Public Policy - a conservative Law Review edited by right-wing Harvard Law students that doesn't undergo peer review like a proper scientific study. It's embarrassing as it doesnt even understand basic statistical analysis. Furthermore it is factually wrong and contains incorrect data in several places. This "study" would never have made it through a peer review.

It's not just that they don't understand how to conduct a study they get basic facts wrong. Not just slightly - egregiously. One of the touted statistics is that Luxembourg has a homicide rate of 9.01/100 K. Only it doesn't... it has a rate of 0.9/100K. Yet that incorrect statistic was one that most downstream media picked up and quoted without fact checking. The "study" is an embarrassment.

If you want actual peer-reviewed Harvard studies on gun violence, (I'm sure you won't as they mostly come to the opposite conclusion than this "debate killer")....

https://www.hsph.harvard.edu/research/hicrc/firearms-research/

Rather getting off track here, but I see that the Joyce foundation (not exactly an impartial observer) is a major contributor to this arm of Harvard's research. Unless I misunderstood the chart http://www.economist.com/news/international/21586602-endowing-charities-can-make-privatisation-more-palatable-spoonful-sugar, such philanthropic foundations in the US are dwarfed by Italy in monetary value. (something to do with bank/ governmental finance privatization). If all that private US foundations have found to do is fund studies and subsidize NPR, I shudder to think of the value the average taxpayer in Italy has received from them. I'm rather curious as to how these foundations mature from general philanthropic foundations/tax shelters to political organizations with the veneer of charity and tradition. Who just gives the reigns away with hundreds of millions of dollars on the line?

Post subject: Re: Charity, Philanthropy, and whatnot
PostPosted: Tue September 24, 2013 9:21 am 
Future Drummer

I'm debating whether I should dedicate a year of my life working with the Rebuilding Together program in New Orleans, funded by Americorps (I think?). Anyway, I want to physically take action and help people rebuild their homes. It sounds like a lovely experience, and I need new experiences. But a whole year of my life? Big decision.

Sorry, I have nothing to say about your question, simple school.

PostPosted: Thu September 26, 2013 8:08 pm 
Guys, I am not a moderator! I swear to God! Why does everyone think I'm a moderator?

Not sure where else to post this, but we just discovered a local charity that we are all in for. Donating, helping the charity out, etc. The guy is a dog trainer and he goes to the shelters and takes the dogs that are about to be put down and trains them for specific needs of wounded veterans. Takes six months to train a dog and another 3 months of working with the dog and the veteran. It is really awesome to watch and he is a nice guy. Plus, it is helping dogs and veterans. :thumbsup:

PostPosted: Mon July 21, 2014 8:00 pm 
NEVER STOP JAMMING!

Stumbled on this site recently and figured I'd share it here just in case. It's mostly a site for teachers who are in need of specific classroom supplies, equipments, and aids. It may be something as simple as needing books to fill a classroom library, to tablets to help students learn. You can browse projects by category, or use the menus to find specific classrooms in your area who need help. Or you can narrow it down to Urgent/poverty.

Flipping through the site, you'll start realizing that a lot of places are just getting fucked by the education system (or lack thereof). The majority of schools on the site from Mississippi (where I grew up) are looking for essential supplies like pencils, kleenex, notebooks, pencil sharpeners etc simply bc the students' families (and teacher) can't afford them.

I know we're all into crowdfunding cool artistic projects or new ideas, and that's fantastic. I love doing it too. But don't forget about the basic necessities some kids need just to start a life of education...

http://www.donorschoose.org/

PostPosted: Fri August 29, 2014 3:53 pm 
mXn

I just donated $100 to Team Gleason.

Board index » Word on the Street » News & Debate