The board's server will undergo upgrade maintenance tonight, Nov 5, 2014, beginning approximately around 10 PM ET. Prepare for some possible down time during this process.
FAQ    Search

Board index » Word on the Street » News & Debate

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 70 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject: Re: Positive-sum Relations: Can you coexist with the other s
PostPosted: Sat January 27, 2024 10:30 pm 
Looks Like a Cat

I think the simplest case is the one where you can painlessly walk away from a situation where an uncomfortable conflict could arise, but what it if was slightly harder? Let's say you are walking out of work at a job you love and chatting with your boss, who has never been anything but kind and professional to everyone around them, and you notice a confederate flag sticker on their car. Does this changes things?

PostPosted: Sat January 27, 2024 10:32 pm 
Major Dude

tommy wrote:
wease wrote:
B wrote:
BurtReynolds wrote:
As long as they stfu about politics.

It's not a rule I make. They know I'm liberal. I know they're conservative. We don't feel the need to argue.

The thing here is that all the MAGA simply assumes that everyone else is like it’s the default setting. Very frustrating.

Just nod and smile. It's not worth it.

That’s all we can do

PostPosted: Sun January 28, 2024 12:04 am 
The Master

Lay off the Twitter, Bi.

PostPosted: Sun January 28, 2024 12:18 am 
Troglodyte
 WWW  Profile

Bi_3 wrote:
I think the simplest case is the one where you can painlessly walk away from a situation where an uncomfortable conflict could arise, but what it if was slightly harder? Let's say you are walking out of work at a job you love and chatting with your boss, who has never been anything but kind and professional to everyone around them, and you notice a confederate flag sticker on their car. Does this changes things?

I don't see why it would change my love for my job, but I'd probably chit chat with the boss less, at least for a while.

PostPosted: Sun January 28, 2024 10:06 am 
NYUCK NYUCK NYUCK

Along the lines of my previous post, boss being nice and professional but has a confederate flag sticker on his car = fine, whatever. Don't care. Boss humiliating his subordinates during the weekly team meeting = not OK, you suck, stay away from me.

Also replace the confederate flag sticker with something more unambiguously evil like a swastika or a Phish sticker and that's a different story too

PostPosted: Sun January 28, 2024 10:11 am 
I've been POOSSTTIiiEEnngeeaahh

Confederate flag is a tricky one. They could just be a dumbass who really likes Pantera. But they could also be a neo-Nazi, so...

PostPosted: Sun January 28, 2024 3:37 pm 
Broken Tamborine

Living in Cincy my whole life has exposed me to a variety of political opinions, including the southern Confederate-loving variety. Plenty of MAGA people, too. I get along with everybody and just try to avoid sensitive topics.

PostPosted: Sun January 28, 2024 6:32 pm 
NEVER STOP JAMMING!

A lot of this discussion seems to be framing the question so that it looks in a single direction (can you know that a person believes differently than you, and still treat them the way you would treat any other human being).

Of course the answer to that should be yes.

But the other side of the question is: do you have people in your life with whom you disagree politically, but with whom you can still have political discussions?

Because I think a lot of people’s solution to this is to never talk politics with people they know disagree with them….which is just another form of ideological bubble-making.

Being able to talk frankly about politics with somebody who you know who disagrees with you, and being able to hear them in turn, is a core component of understanding people beyond reductionist terms. It’s the most surefire way to avoid becoming the type of person who uses words like “libtards” or “MAGgots.” No poll or op-ed or argument on the Internet can replace it.

Getting along with people who you know disagree with you by not talking politics is good and healthy, and the most appropriate response most of the time.

But if it’s your only employed solution….if you do not have people in your life with whom you disagree politically, but with whom you can have robust political discussions….that is not any different than any other form of ideological bubble preservation.

PostPosted: Sun January 28, 2024 7:41 pm 
Legacy of Love
 WWW  Profile

Jorge wrote:
How you treat others is I think something I'll judge you on more harshly. If we disagree on the tenets of socialized education, OK. But if we're out and you are cruel to waitstaff I'm probably not hitting you up for a hang any time soon

I try to stay out of this sub-forum but I happened to open it today and see this post and felt compelled to say how great it is. Fantastic post, Jorge. This is exactly it. Well said.

PostPosted: Sun January 28, 2024 7:58 pm 

Oof.

PostPosted: Sun January 28, 2024 11:35 pm 
mXn

Vitalogist wrote:
Bammer wrote:
tragabigzanda wrote:
Fuckin bammer

Paging new'ish RMer Vitalogist - can you please weigh in on this?

I’m here to learn and engage. I’m sure I don’t know anyone here well enough to pass any judgment :)

:finger:
Spoiler: show
:bammer:

Spoiler: show
:)

PostPosted: Sun January 28, 2024 11:44 pm 
Misplaced My Sponge

Bi_3 wrote:

i never really talked politics at work. just no need to do so. my last job my boss brought up cavanaugh by name (no circumstances) and we both laughed. then he said, theres no way he could have assaulted someone it wasnt in his calendar. i had to look like a deer in headlights. i awkwardly paused and left his office. it was then i realized he was a full on maga.

current job while i believe most are liberals there have been a smattering of conservatives but again it isnt generally talked about. things like the economy, AI, davos and building robots are talked about more

as to the original question i judge people be other things other than politics but if you have a FJB decal on your car or maga-wear on i will generally ignore you in all but life saving situations

PostPosted: Sun January 28, 2024 11:54 pm 
mXn

Peeps wrote:
Bi_3 wrote:

i never really talked politics at work. just no need to do so. my last job my boss brought up cavanaugh by name (no circumstances) and we both laughed. then he said, theres no way he could have assaulted someone it wasnt in his calendar. i had to look like a deer in headlights. i awkwardly paused and left his office. it was then i realized he was a full on maga.

current job while i believe most are liberals there have been a smattering of conservatives but again it isnt generally talked about. things like the economy, AI, davos and building robots are talked about more

as to the original question i judge people be other things other than politics but if you have a FJB decal on your car or maga-wear on i will generally ignore you in all but life saving situations

PostPosted: Mon January 29, 2024 1:47 am 
The Master

Ello Sailor wrote:
Oof.

:lol:

PostPosted: Mon January 29, 2024 5:12 am 
mXn

McParadigm wrote:
A lot of this discussion seems to be framing the question so that it looks in a single direction (can you know that a person believes differently than you, and still treat them the way you would treat any other human being).

Of course the answer to that should be yes.

But the other side of the question is: do you have people in your life with whom you disagree politically, but with whom you can still have political discussions?

Because I think a lot of people’s solution to this is to never talk politics with people they know disagree with them….which is just another form of ideological bubble-making.

Being able to talk frankly about politics with somebody who you know who disagrees with you, and being able to hear them in turn, is a core component of understanding people beyond reductionist terms. It’s the most surefire way to avoid becoming the type of person who uses words like “libtards” or “MAGgots.” No poll or op-ed or argument on the Internet can replace it.

Getting along with people who you know disagree with you by not talking politics is good and healthy, and the most appropriate response most of the time.

But if it’s your only employed solution….if you do not have people in your life with whom you disagree politically, but with whom you can have robust political discussions….that is not any different than any other form of ideological bubble preservation.

Who you callin’ a libtard?

PostPosted: Mon January 29, 2024 6:34 pm 
Broken Tamborine

I used to have an easier time talking to people on the politically opposite side. Lately I’ve found that pure MAGA people have a certain intensity and disregard of basic decency makes it harder to engage. I think young people are being radicalized by hateful online echo chambers. I’m scared to think of what a 25 year old alt-righter will become at age 75.

PostPosted: Mon January 29, 2024 8:00 pm 
The Master

doug rr cannot

PostPosted: Mon January 29, 2024 8:12 pm 
NEVER STOP JAMMING!

lennytheweedwhacker wrote:
doug rr cannot

its complicated

PostPosted: Mon January 29, 2024 8:52 pm 
The Master

doug rr wrote:
lennytheweedwhacker wrote:
doug rr cannot

its complicated

So r u u wild man

PostPosted: Mon January 29, 2024 11:11 pm 

I refuse to co-exist with people from the other side. Anytime I meet someone I disagree with, I commit murder and/or suicide

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 70 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Board index » Word on the Street » News & Debate