The board's server will undergo upgrade maintenance tonight, Nov 5, 2014, beginning approximately around 10 PM ET. Prepare for some possible down time during this process.
FAQ    Search

Board index » Word on the Street » News & Debate

Post subject: Re: Positive-sum Relations: Can you coexist with the other s
PostPosted: Tue January 30, 2024 12:14 am 
An enigma of a man shaped hole in the wall between reality and the soul of the devil.

I don't even believe in politics.

Plus, it's probably going to get dangerous to talk about politics.

Let's talk philosophy and ethics instead.

“And truly, if life had no purpose, and I had to choose nonsense, this would be the most desirable nonsense for me as well."

PostPosted: Wed January 31, 2024 3:43 pm 
Looks Like a Cat

What it if was slightly harder than just a disagreement with a boss? Let's say you are walking out of work at a job you love and you see a sign or something that says your employer is donating X% of profits to pro-life activists or like when Google employees went crazy over military drone AI? Can you still work there knowing your daily efforts support a cause you disagree with?

PostPosted: Wed January 31, 2024 3:43 pm 
Misplaced My Sponge

BurtReynolds wrote:
I don't even believe in politics.

Plus, it's probably going to get dangerous to talk about politics.

Let's talk philosophy and ethics instead.

i really want to throw a brick throw peoples vehicles when they blow off the stop sign as i am walking the dog. morning, day, night. id say 75% blow right through it

PostPosted: Wed January 31, 2024 4:09 pm 
An enigma of a man shaped hole in the wall between reality and the soul of the devil.

Bi_3 wrote:
What it if was slightly harder than just a disagreement with a boss? Let's say you are walking out of work at a job you love and you see a sign or something that says your employer is donating X% of profits to pro-life activists or like when Google employees went crazy over military drone AI? Can you still work there knowing your daily efforts support a cause you disagree with?

I would never have a job if I had to quit every time my employer served a movement I hate.

“And truly, if life had no purpose, and I had to choose nonsense, this would be the most desirable nonsense for me as well."

PostPosted: Wed January 31, 2024 4:14 pm 
Misplaced My Sponge

Bi_3 wrote:

everyone has a price to go against their beliefs. some are just cheaper than others

PostPosted: Wed January 31, 2024 8:46 pm 
Troglodyte
 WWW  Profile

Bi_3 wrote:

I don't think I would ever work somewhere that openly espoused political stances that I vehemently disagreed with, but I suppose some Google employees were shocked to see their employer supporting military drones. So, in your scenario, yeah, I'd probably start putting resumes out if I suddenly found myself in an anti-gay organization.

Of course, the scenario takes this thread from "can you be friends with someone?" to "can you work to support an organization?"

PostPosted: Wed January 31, 2024 9:25 pm 
Future Drummer

I'd work on the death star if the pay was good. If it's not you it'll just be somebody else.

PostPosted: Wed January 31, 2024 10:17 pm 
The Master

Juan Hammill

PostPosted: Wed January 31, 2024 10:47 pm 
Troglodyte
 WWW  Profile

tommy wrote:
I'd work on the death star if the pay was good. If it's not you it'll just be somebody else.

Well, I'm only human.

PostPosted: Sun February 04, 2024 4:41 am 
Mind Your Tanners

Jorge wrote:
Bi_3 wrote:
VinylGuy wrote:
Yeah, of course i can co exist. I also find it very rewarding to listen and talk about different views on stuff.

Do you experience political polarization like we do in the US?

Probably even more. Argentina actually went through a right wing military dictatorship that many still pine for.
And in the age of Milei...

To answer the OP I don't see people in terms of sides and I have several friends I disagree with on a number of issues all across the political spectrum. There are extremes I won't break bread with for reasons of moral conscience (think: actual nazis) but many of my friends and family are people I love with whom I disagree politically.

Lots of Americans also pine for various military dictatorship so I don't know if I would say more.

Board index » Word on the Street » News & Debate