The board's server will undergo upgrade maintenance tonight, Nov 5, 2014, beginning approximately around 10 PM ET. Prepare for some possible down time during this process.
FAQ    Search

Board index » Word on the Street » News & Debate

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 570 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13 ... 29  Next
 Post subject: Re: General Education Topik
PostPosted: Sat July 17, 2021 8:17 pm 
Looks Like a Cat

Baltimore City Schools: 41% of high school students earn below 1.0 GPA

Quote:
In January, City Schools CEO Dr. Sonja Santelises first sounded the alarm, announcing the course failure rate for students nearly doubled during the Covid shutdown. A few months later, in May, North Avenue announced students would not be held back for failing classes. This most recent GPA data could indicate why City Schools made that decision.

During the second quarter of the 2019/2020 school year, just before COVID hit, 24% of high school students had a GPA below 1.0. Now, it’s 41 percent.

$18,000 per student and this what they get, a failed generation doomed to poverty and violence.

PostPosted: Sun July 18, 2021 5:24 pm 
Mind Your Tanners

Bi_3 wrote:

Quote:
In January, City Schools CEO Dr. Sonja Santelises first sounded the alarm, announcing the course failure rate for students nearly doubled during the Covid shutdown. A few months later, in May, North Avenue announced students would not be held back for failing classes. This most recent GPA data could indicate why City Schools made that decision.

During the second quarter of the 2019/2020 school year, just before COVID hit, 24% of high school students had a GPA below 1.0. Now, it’s 41 percent.

$18,000 per student and this what they get, a failed generation doomed to poverty and violence.
Given all these students and families face, 18k seems low. We're going to get to a point where grades 13, 14, and 15 are typical and acceptable to getting young people to a standard level of proficiency.

PostPosted: Mon July 19, 2021 12:25 am 
Future Drummer

elliseamos wrote:
Bi_3 wrote:

Quote:

Given all these students and families face, 18k seems low. We're going to get to a point where grades 13, 14, and 15 are typical and acceptable to getting young people to a standard level of proficiency.

Seems low. Cut out all the admin and other crack and a teacher could dedicate themselves to five students and pull in $90k.

PostPosted: Mon July 19, 2021 12:30 am 
Misplaced My Sponge

surfndestroy wrote:
elliseamos wrote:
Bi_3 wrote:

Quote:

Seems low. Cut out all the admin and other crack and a teacher could dedicate themselves to five students and pull in $90k.

I think elliseamos would probably respond that many of these kids need social workers as much or more than teachers.

My experience with social workers suggests that they are probably on net more harm than good. Maybe there's a world where that is not the case.

PostPosted: Mon July 19, 2021 1:58 am 
Mind Your Tanners

simple schoolboy wrote:
surfndestroy wrote:
elliseamos wrote:
Bi_3 wrote:

Quote:

I think elliseamos would probably respond that many of these kids need social workers as much or more than teachers.

My experience with social workers suggests that they are probably on net more harm than good. Maybe there's a world where that is not the case.
Social workers, guidamce counselors, extended school day, extended school year, 3 meals a day, clean clothes... my experience in an impoverished inner city district was school/learning was well after the individual's hierarchy of needs.

PostPosted: Mon July 19, 2021 11:34 am 
Looks Like a Cat

elliseamos wrote:
simple schoolboy wrote:
surfndestroy wrote:
elliseamos wrote:
Bi_3 wrote:

Quote:

Social workers, guidance counselors, extended school day, extended school year, 3 meals a day, clean clothes... my experience in an impoverished inner city district was school/learning was well after the individual's hierarchy of needs.

Interesting point. Our wealthy school district here in the western 'burbs of DC definitely approached it this way during the height of the pandemic. Meal distribution (breakfast and lunch) took precedence over learning activities. I understand why and I think it was the right approach it just feels like that should not be a function of school systems, but another social support system entirely or contractors who handle it at scale.

PostPosted: Mon July 19, 2021 7:49 pm 
Mind Your Tanners

Bi_3 wrote:
elliseamos wrote:
simple schoolboy wrote:
surfndestroy wrote:
elliseamos wrote:
Bi_3 wrote:

Quote:

Social workers, guidance counselors, extended school day, extended school year, 3 meals a day, clean clothes... my experience in an impoverished inner city district was school/learning was well after the individual's hierarchy of needs.

Interesting point. Our wealthy school district here in the western 'burbs of DC definitely approached it this way during the height of the pandemic. Meal distribution (breakfast and lunch) took precedence over learning activities. I understand why and I think it was the right approach it just feels like that should not be a function of school systems, but another social support system entirely or contractors who handle it at scale.
Agreed. But, as with the police being the ones asked to do too much outside their scope, schools are expected to do a lot more than teach. Changing that would be much more expensive than 18k a kid. But it has to be done, which is why "infrastructure" should include these types of services.

PostPosted: Tue July 20, 2021 12:45 am 
An enigma of a man shaped hole in the wall between reality and the soul of the devil.

Emperor Xi would have the students taken away from their parents, distributed across camps in other parts of the country, and re-educated from the ground up. The parents would likely be sterilized.

Not saying it's what should happen, but it would probably work and at a reasonable cost.

“And truly, if life had no purpose, and I had to choose nonsense, this would be the most desirable nonsense for me as well."

PostPosted: Tue July 20, 2021 1:22 am 
Mind Your Tanners

Take it to the middle earth kingdom thread, plz.

PostPosted: Mon August 16, 2021 7:28 pm 
Future Drummer

The copy paste story making its way around media is funny. If the teachers are so worried about dying on the job, quit. Or you know, just get vaccinated and get on with life.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/education/2020/08/13/florida-teachers-writing-wills-obituaries-school-reopening-coronavirus/3362679001/

https://www.cnn.com/2020/07/16/us/coronavirus-teachers-preparing-wills/index.html

PostPosted: Mon August 16, 2021 8:52 pm 
Looks Like a Cat

surfndestroy wrote:
The copy paste story making its way around media is funny. If the teachers are so worried about dying on the job, quit. Or you know, just get vaccinated and get on with life.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/education/2020/08/13/florida-teachers-writing-wills-obituaries-school-reopening-coronavirus/3362679001/

https://www.cnn.com/2020/07/16/us/coronavirus-teachers-preparing-wills/index.html

Gotta soften us up for when unions start to push back I suppose (see what's going on in South Carolina for example). If I were a teacher I would be worried as well. Vaccinated, but worried.

PostPosted: Wed August 25, 2021 4:41 am 
Misplaced My Sponge

Didn't know if this should go here or in the systemic racism thread

PostPosted: Thu August 26, 2021 2:44 am 
Mind Your Tanners

One or the otter.

PostPosted: Thu August 26, 2021 2:47 am 
Guys, I am not a moderator! I swear to God! Why does everyone think I'm a moderator?

Otterside

PostPosted: Sun August 29, 2021 1:20 am 
The Master

I grew up with a Waukesha mailing address, but went to school in a different district. Anyway, this is so stupid.

PostPosted: Sun August 29, 2021 1:50 am 
Misplaced My Sponge

spike wrote:
I grew up with a Waukesha mailing address, but went to school in a different district. Anyway, this is so stupid.

Ah yes, spoiling kids with their overcooked ... french bread pizza.

PostPosted: Tue August 31, 2021 11:32 am 
Looks Like a Cat

LA Mag: Cecily Myart-Cruz’s Hostile Takeover of L.A.’s Public Schools

Quote:
Today, however, on a sunny May afternoon, Myart-Cruz is allowing a reporter inside her inner sanctum—or at least inside a glass-paneled conference room down the hall from her eleventh-floor office. And right away, she lives up to her reputation: after settling into in a swivel chair and slowly removing her zebra-print face mask, the 47-year-old lightning rod for controversy calmly sets her hands on the table and begins issuing a series of incendiary statements that almost seem aerodynamically designed to grab headlines and infuriate critics. Like this one: “There is no such thing as learning loss,” she responds when asked how her insistence on keeping L.A.’s schools mostly locked down over the last year and a half may have impacted the city’s 600,000 kindergarten through 12th-grade students. “Our kids didn’t lose anything. It’s OK that our babies may not have learned all their times tables. They learned resilience. They learned survival. They learned critical-thinking skills. They know the difference between a riot and a protest. They know the words insurrection and coup.” She even went so far as to suggest darkly that “learning loss” is a fake crisis marketed by shadowy purveyors of clinical and classroom assessments.

Traditionally, the job of UTLA is to represent the best interests of the L.A. school system’s 33,000 teachers—to ensure that they are paid properly, that they have the resources to do their jobs, and that their work conditions are safe. But under Myart-Cruz’s stewardship, which began when she assumed office in the summer of 2020, that purview has been expanded to include a breathtaking range of far-flung progressive issues: racial justice, Medicare for all, the millionaire tax, financial support for undocumented families, rental and eviction relief—over the last 15 months, UTLA has championed them all. Many of these may be laudable aims, or at least worth debating, but they aren’t the sort of agendas normally pursued by your neighborhood teachers’ union. In what universe, after all, does UTLA’s recent boycott of Israel over the conflict with Hamas benefit the teachers—or students—of Los Angeles?

PostPosted: Tue August 31, 2021 2:00 pm 
The Master

simple schoolboy wrote:
spike wrote:

Ah yes, spoiling kids with their overcooked ... french bread pizza.

This was reversed after the school board received criticism and death threats.

By a slim 5-4 margin.

PostPosted: Tue August 31, 2021 2:07 pm 
Troglodyte
 WWW  Profile

Not having to make 3 kids pack lunches every night and get up early to make breakfasts every day is a game changer.

I can't imagine how good it would feel if you were struggling with food insecurity. Must feel so freeing.

PostPosted: Tue August 31, 2021 6:00 pm 
See you in another life, brother

Students at my school are planning a protest against the misogynist/sexist dress code on Friday. "Bring a sign, wear your favorite crop top!!!"

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 570 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13 ... 29  Next

Board index » Word on the Street » News & Debate