The board's server will undergo upgrade maintenance tonight, Nov 5, 2014, beginning approximately around 10 PM ET. Prepare for some possible down time during this process.
FAQ    Search

Board index » Word on the Street » News & Debate

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 570 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 29  Next
 Post subject: Re: General Education Topik
PostPosted: Sat September 27, 2014 12:59 pm 
Future Drummer

Well, at least he admits the obvious that it's not about education.

PostPosted: Fri November 21, 2014 7:20 pm 
Rank This Poster

i always thought broken iris' usage of "topik" in reference to american public education, spelled to invoke the image of coercive, germanic authoritarianism, was totally reasonable and really inviting of measured disourse

PostPosted: Thu December 18, 2014 7:03 pm 
Future Drummer

National Post story at http://fullcomment.nationalpost.com/2014/12/18/barbara-kay-harvard-students-want-to-learn-the-law-without-discussing-upsetting-crimes/

There are days when I think the entire media has been taken over by the satirical publication, The Onion, whose hilarious riffs on cultural and political trends skewer political correctness with such straight-faced precision that they are frequently taken at face value.

But the latest Darwin-award entry in cultural lunacy is no satire. Some U.S. law students want their professors to eliminate rape law from the curriculum on the grounds that it’s too traumatizing. In her article, “The Trouble with Teaching Rape Law,” in the December 15 edition of The New Yorker, Harvard law school professor Jeannie Suk writes: “About a dozen new teachers of criminal law at multiple institutions have told me that they are not including rape law in their courses, arguing that it’s not worth the risk of discomfort by students.”

Naturally, if discussion of rape law is too much for students’ delicate sensibilities, it only follows as night the day that any questions relating to rape law on exams be removed so that their performance won’t be negatively affected. That’s happening too. It doesn’t end there. “One teacher I know was recently asked by a student not to use the word “violate” in class — as in “Does this conduct violate the law?” — because the word was triggering,” Suk writes.

I am trying very hard to picture a law firm five years hence and a scene in which a senior lawyer instructs an articling student to work up some references for a rape case in which he will be acting for the defence. I am trying to imagine the look on his face when she sweetly informs him that will not be possible for her – firstly because she absented herself from class when rape law was being discussed and was excused from questions on exams about rape law, and secondly because even thinking about rape law gives her the vapours. Then I picture her accusing him of traumatizing her by even mentioning his case, and stalking off to file a harassment claim.

Seriously, folks, does the idiocy of these professors caving in to this blackmail – for it is blackmail; the professors feel accused of deliberately wounding the students with their words and who wants to be a woman-wounder? – really have to be pointed out? Who will be hurt most by the educational vacuum? Women who have been raped, obviously, and who depend on sound legal advice in prosecuting their rapists.

Taking this logic to its obvious conclusion, most law enforcement would grind to a halt. Murder, child abuse, kidnapping, home invasions, drug addiction and any number of other unpleasant realities of human society all cause “discomfort” to many people. Hell, 9/11 caused untold “discomfort” to Americans and certainly “traumatized” New Yorkers. Should discussion around national security in law schools be forbidden? What about legal issues concerning torture? Even seeing that word makes me uncomfortable. But that seems an excellent reason why I should be forced to think about it, not a reason for me to glibly pretend it doesn’t exist.

There is indeed one group of people who should be shielded from discussions of rape, torture and child abuse: namely, children. There is a reason for that. We wish to instil confidence in children so that when they gradually begin to realize the world is not as safe and pleasant a place for everyone as it has been for them, they have the inner security and strength of character to absorb that fact without feeling helpless and fearful.

Have you noticed that women have become the new children? And spoiled children at that. They must be allowed their illusion that the world spins around them and that they can run around any place they like in perfect security (real children think they are running “any place they like,” but in fact are playing in safe environments created especially for them).

They must never be told to place limits on their pleasures – even if that means drinking themselves unconscious in risky environments. They must be indulged in their belief that safety is simply a matter of telling other people not to do bad things. When they don’t like what other people are saying to them, the response is to gag those other people. They can’t be exposed to the realities of the world if there is a danger it will upset them. That’s exactly what’s happening in this case.

Women, if you want respect as women, grow up. Professors, if you give in to such childish demands, you only feed delay the onset of learning. Send these spoiled brats to their dorms, until they agree to listen respectfully to their teachers and play nicely with others. If they don’t want an education, they shouldn’t enrol in university.

National Post

PostPosted: Thu December 18, 2014 8:02 pm 
Rank This Poster

see?

PostPosted: Fri April 15, 2016 5:16 pm 
Looks Like a Cat

gotta love the status quo . . .

https://www.law360.com/articles/784950

PostPosted: Sun April 17, 2016 5:54 am 
Misplaced My Sponge

Chris_H_2 wrote:
gotta love the status quo . . .

https://www.law360.com/articles/784950

The important thing is that the pensions of educators are constitutionaly protected. The right to an education is a suggestion, just like the 2nd amendment.

PostPosted: Tue June 07, 2016 12:13 am 
Broken Tamborine

Your federally subsidized students loans at work:

https://archive.is/lWsU3

http://www.livefootsteps.org/user/?usr=1278

PostPosted: Sun June 12, 2016 1:53 pm 
Broken Tamborine

Excellent article about school choice and the challenges faced by minority populations in NYC even under a progressive mayor:

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/06/12/magazine/choosing-a-school-for-my-daughter-in-a-segregated-city.html

http://www.livefootsteps.org/user/?usr=1278

PostPosted: Sun October 22, 2017 11:19 am 
Looks Like a Cat

http://foxbaltimore.com/news/project-baltimore/project-baltimoretext-message-instructs-city-teachers-to-change-grades

PROJECT BALTIMORE:Text Message Instructs City Teachers to Change Grades
by Chris Papst

BALTIMORE (WBFF)-- A Baltimore City Public Schools internal investigation into allegations of grade changing has expanded to include another school. First, it was NACA II in Northeast Baltimore. Now, City Schools has confirmed to Fox45 its investigation into allegations of grade changing includes Calverton Elementary/Middle in west Baltimore.

City Schools made the announcement following a series of Project Baltimore investigations that uncovered before-and-after report cards where failing grades were apparently changed to passing. And now, a teacher from Calverton tells Project Baltimore that grade changing is not just common, Fox45 obtained what the educator calls proof.

The below text, obtained by Project Baltimore, is short, but says a lot. We’re told it was sent to teachers at Calverton at the end of last school year. The time stamp on the text reads June 13, 2017 at 7:41 am. The person who sent it, according to the name on the text and our sources, is Calverton’s Principal Martia Cooper. The text reads:

“Good Morning people! (Secretary) is printing report cards so finally you can get cumes finished. Please double check end of year averages and make sure they are 60 and above, except our four retention candidates (2 elem and 2 grade 7). If you find any grade averages below 60, pkesss (sic) have (secretary) correct and give me a copy of those student names. Thanks!”

A Calverton educator, who reached out to Fox45, claims to have received that text. “[It instructed me to] go into my grade book, make sure no students are failing, and essentially change the grade if they are failing so they will pass with a 60 percent,” said the teacher, whose identity we are concealing upon request.

“I was frustrated as a teacher. We’re public servants. And when we see things like grade changing, that’s self-serving. That’s not helping the kids.”

After watching Fox45’s recent investigations into allegations of grade changing at Calverton, the City Schools employee contacted Project Baltimore to say a couple things. First, according to the teacher, grade changing at Calverton is “very common.”

Second, the educator told Fox45, changing grades is the easiest and fastest way to pass more students, which makes the school and its administrators look better. But, it does a huge disservice to not just the kids, but our entire community.

“Teaching a whole generation of kids that they don’t have to be accountable for their actions, or that hard work isn’t valued or valuable when they are in school, is so discouraging and damaging.”

But this teacher says grade changing at Calverton goes much further than just taking a failing grade and making it a 60. Some students who pass, according to this educator, don’t even have grades because they’ve never showed up to class.

“There were student on my roster all year that I had never met, had never seen. On paper they passed my class and passed onto the next year.”

Project Baltimore reached out to Principal Cooper asking her to explain this text. Similar to all other attempts to contact Cooper, we heard nothing back. So, we sent the same email to North Avenue and got this response.

“We received your email regarding the text. An investigation is currently underway with respect to grade-changing allegations at Calverton. The district does not comment on ongoing investigations.” – Edie House: Baltimore City Public Schools

“I love my job and I love my students,” concluded the teacher. “I want to see the students at Calverton and other schools across the city, get a fresh start. And it’s going to be hard because the students are used to this now. But the students deserve better and our city deserve better.”

PostPosted: Fri November 10, 2017 11:26 am 
Looks Like a Cat

This is what we get for $15.5k/student/year:

Quote:

http://foxbaltimore.com/news/project-ba ... nt-in-math

13 Baltimore City High Schools, Zero Students Proficient in Math
by Chris Papst

BALTIMORE (WBFF) - An alarming discovery coming out of City Schools. Project Baltimore analyzed 2017 state testing data and found one-third of High Schools in Baltimore, last year, had zero students proficient in math.

But that’s not all we found. In the midst of that troubling number, there are some bright spots.

Most mornings, at Baltimore Collegiate School for Boys, start the same way – with students chanting the school’s motto in the gym.

“There’s an urgency about the work we’re doing,” said Jack Pannell, the school’s founder.

That urgency was born out of need.

“Nine out of ten black boys in Baltimore City are not reading at grade level,” added Pannell.

That grim statistic, lead Pannell to open his north Baltimore school three years ago. As the name implies, in these halls, there are no girls.

“They tend to stay very focused on their studies,” he stated, with a smile.

The charter school also has no entrance exams. What it does have is a school day extended by one hour, a teaching staff that is 60 percent male and shorter class periods. All of it tailored to how boys learn.

“We designed this school to make a fundamental difference in the lives of mostly black and brown boys in the city,” said Pannell.

That design appears to be working. Since 2015, the number of Baltimore Collegiate’s boys who scored proficient in state math tests spiked by 60 percent. In 2016, nine percent of students were proficient. This year, 14.4 percent were proficient.

“No,” replied Pannell, when asked if he was happy with the results. “I mean, we can do better.”

But Project Baltimore discovered as this school’s making process, many other city schools seem to be going nowhere.

Project Baltimore analyzed 2017 state test scores released this fall. We paged through 16,000 lines of data and uncovered this: Of Baltimore City’s 39 High Schools, 13 had zero students proficient in math.

Digging further, we found another six high schools where one percent tested proficient. Add it up – in half the high schools in Baltimore City, 3804 students took the state test, 14 were proficient in math.

Zero students proficient in Math:

Achievement Academy

Carver Vocational-Technical High

Coppin Academy

Excel Acadamy @ Francis M. Wood High

Forest Park High

Frederick Douglass High

Independence School Local 1

Knowledge and Success Academy

New Era Academy

New Hope Academy

Northwestern High

Patterson High

The Reach! Partnership School

High Schools with 1% math proficiency:

Ben Franklin H.S. at Masonville Cove

ConneXions: Community Based Arts School

Digital Harbor High School

Edmondson-Westside High

Renaissance Academy

Vivien T. Thomas Medical Arts Academy

With these eye-opening results, Project Baltimore reached to North Avenue. But no one inside the building would sit down to answer our questions. Instead, we got a statement. Concerning our investigation, it read, “These results underscore the urgency of the work we are now pursuing. We must do more to meet the needs of all our students.”

That work, according to the statement, involves a new math curriculum started this year, enhanced teacher development and expanded partnerships to provide opportunities for students.

The statement concludes, “There is no simple answer that will close the achievement gap for Baltimore’s students. Though we all want to see results quickly, the work is hard and will take time.”

At Pannell’s school, results took just two years. With 440 students, his school is now at capacity. Another 300 are on the waiting list.

“We believe we can change the narrative. We believe we can change history. We believe we can change the status quo if we keep doing what we’re doing,” said Pannell.

PostPosted: Fri November 10, 2017 4:24 pm 
See you in another life, brother

The last two posts are essentially straight out of The Wire season 4.

The grade changing thing is pretty much the least surprising thing ever.

PostPosted: Fri November 10, 2017 6:40 pm 
Future Drummer
 WWW  Profile

I was about to say this is straight out of The Wire

Gotta fill those streets with Omars and Marlowes somehow.

PostPosted: Sat November 11, 2017 5:53 pm 
Future Drummer

http://nationalpost.com/opinion/christi ... rson-video

A Wilfrid Laurier University teaching assistant has been identified as “transphobic” and sanctioned for last week showing her class an excerpt of a video debate involving the controversial University of Toronto psychology professor Jordan Peterson.

In fact, her supervising professor, Nathan Rambukkana, told her that by showing the video to her “Canadian Communication in Context” class, “it basically was like … neutrally playing a speech by Hitler …”

Lindsay Shepherd, a 22-year-old graduate student at the school in Waterloo, Ont., was informed that merely by showing the clip, taken from a televised debate between Peterson and Nicholas Matte, a lecturer at the U of T’s Sexual Diversity Studies program, she was “legitimizing” Peterson’s views about genderless pronouns.

She has been told that she must now submit her lesson plans to her supervisor in advance, that he may sit in on her next few classes and she must “not show any more controversial videos of this kind.”

The debate was originally aired last fall on the well-regarded TVO news show The Agenda, hosted by Steve Paikin, when Peterson’s YouTube lectures about the dangers of the then-looming federal Bill C-16 first went viral.

It was in the context of this bill, which added “gender expression” and “gender identity” to both the federal human rights act and the Criminal Code, that Peterson first publicly criticized the use of gender-neutral pronouns such as “zie”, “zher” and “they” and found himself in a free speech battle.

The bill received royal assent in June and is now law.

Shepherd was this week hauled into a meeting with Rambukkana, program co-ordinator Herbert Pimlott and Adria Joel, acting manager of the “Gendered Violence Prevention and Support” program.

She was told that after she showed the five-minute video clip, “one student/many students” — the group refused to say how many students were unhappy because that information is deemed confidential — complained that she had created “a toxic climate.”

Spunkily, she asked if she was supposed to shelter students from controversial ideas. “Am I supposed to comfort them?” she asked at one point, bewildered, and said it was antithetical to the spirit of a university.

Rambukkana then informed her that since Bill C-16 was passed, even making such “arguments run(s) counter” to the law.

In the 35-minute meeting, where she was outnumbered three to one, Shepherd vigorously defended herself, explaining she had been scrupulously even-handed and not taken a position herself or endorsed Peterson’s remarks before showing the video, and that her students seemed engaged by it, and had expressed a wide range of opinions.

But that was part of the problem, she was told — by presenting the matter neutrally, and not condemning Peterson’s views as “problematic” or worse, she was cultivating “a space where those opinions can be nurtured.”

The two professors seemed suspicious that perhaps Shepherd was a plant of Peterson’s, and were alert to any hint that she was a closet supporter of the dread “alt-right” movement they both mentioned.

Rambukkana asked her off the top if she wasn’t from the University of Toronto, and Shepherd said no.

In fact, she got her B.A. (Honours with Distinction) in Communication, with a minor in political science, from Simon Fraser University and is a native of Burnaby, B.C. She was accepted to Wilfrid Laurier on a $4,500 graduate scholarship, in addition to her TA funding package.

Ah, said Rambukkana, “so you’re not one of Jordan Peterson’s students.”

He then told her Peterson was “highly involved with the alt-right,” that he had bullied his own students and asked, “do you see why this is not something … that is up for debate?”

When Shepherd protested that it is very much up for debate, Rambukkana chastised her by saying the discussion creates an “unsafe learning environment.”

PostPosted: Mon November 13, 2017 7:00 am 
Misplaced My Sponge

surfndestroy wrote:
http://nationalpost.com/opinion/christie-blatchford-thought-police-strike-again-as-wilfrid-laurier-grad-student-is-chastised-for-showing-jordan-peterson-video

A Wilfrid Laurier University teaching assistant has been identified as “transphobic” and sanctioned for last week showing her class an excerpt of a video debate involving the controversial University of Toronto psychology professor Jordan Peterson.

In fact, her supervising professor, Nathan Rambukkana, told her that by showing the video to her “Canadian Communication in Context” class, “it basically was like … neutrally playing a speech by Hitler …”

Lindsay Shepherd, a 22-year-old graduate student at the school in Waterloo, Ont., was informed that merely by showing the clip, taken from a televised debate between Peterson and Nicholas Matte, a lecturer at the U of T’s Sexual Diversity Studies program, she was “legitimizing” Peterson’s views about genderless pronouns.

She has been told that she must now submit her lesson plans to her supervisor in advance, that he may sit in on her next few classes and she must “not show any more controversial videos of this kind.”

The debate was originally aired last fall on the well-regarded TVO news show The Agenda, hosted by Steve Paikin, when Peterson’s YouTube lectures about the dangers of the then-looming federal Bill C-16 first went viral.

It was in the context of this bill, which added “gender expression” and “gender identity” to both the federal human rights act and the Criminal Code, that Peterson first publicly criticized the use of gender-neutral pronouns such as “zie”, “zher” and “they” and found himself in a free speech battle.

The bill received royal assent in June and is now law.

Shepherd was this week hauled into a meeting with Rambukkana, program co-ordinator Herbert Pimlott and Adria Joel, acting manager of the “Gendered Violence Prevention and Support” program.

She was told that after she showed the five-minute video clip, “one student/many students” — the group refused to say how many students were unhappy because that information is deemed confidential — complained that she had created “a toxic climate.”

Spunkily, she asked if she was supposed to shelter students from controversial ideas. “Am I supposed to comfort them?” she asked at one point, bewildered, and said it was antithetical to the spirit of a university.

Rambukkana then informed her that since Bill C-16 was passed, even making such “arguments run(s) counter” to the law.

In the 35-minute meeting, where she was outnumbered three to one, Shepherd vigorously defended herself, explaining she had been scrupulously even-handed and not taken a position herself or endorsed Peterson’s remarks before showing the video, and that her students seemed engaged by it, and had expressed a wide range of opinions.

But that was part of the problem, she was told — by presenting the matter neutrally, and not condemning Peterson’s views as “problematic” or worse, she was cultivating “a space where those opinions can be nurtured.”

The two professors seemed suspicious that perhaps Shepherd was a plant of Peterson’s, and were alert to any hint that she was a closet supporter of the dread “alt-right” movement they both mentioned.

Rambukkana asked her off the top if she wasn’t from the University of Toronto, and Shepherd said no.

In fact, she got her B.A. (Honours with Distinction) in Communication, with a minor in political science, from Simon Fraser University and is a native of Burnaby, B.C. She was accepted to Wilfrid Laurier on a $4,500 graduate scholarship, in addition to her TA funding package.

Ah, said Rambukkana, “so you’re not one of Jordan Peterson’s students.”

He then told her Peterson was “highly involved with the alt-right,” that he had bullied his own students and asked, “do you see why this is not something … that is up for debate?”

When Shepherd protested that it is very much up for debate, Rambukkana chastised her by saying the discussion creates an “unsafe learning environment.”

I'm pacified by the wide ranging hard science behind sexuality and gender identity that clearly puts these topics outside the scope of debate.

PostPosted: Thu November 30, 2017 1:53 pm 
Looks Like a Cat

The value of generational wealth is obvious here:

PostPosted: Wed March 14, 2018 12:50 am 
Troglodyte
 WWW  Profile

A couple of brutally funny lines in here.

PostPosted: Sat March 17, 2018 5:10 am 
Misplaced My Sponge

Bi_3 wrote:
The value of generational wealth is obvious here:

I get the feeling that including 2nd or 3rd generation East Asian net worth in this would be a hate graphic.

PostPosted: Fri April 27, 2018 1:03 am 
Rank This Poster

First day of the AZ teacher walkout. Wife, kids and I spent all day at the Capitol.

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2018 1:30 am 
Rank This Poster

AZ teachers will be back to school tomorrow, but they shouldn't be. The deal they got sounds awesome, but in reality it's not sustainable and not really funded. They'll end up in the same spot in a couple of years after classes go to 40+ kids and spec-ed programs get slashed. Then Republicans will say it's because teachers were greedy and don't really care about the kids.

They should have demanded an additional tourism tax to fund it.

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2018 6:33 am 
Misplaced My Sponge

run2death wrote:
AZ teachers will be back to school tomorrow, but they shouldn't be. The deal they got sounds awesome, but in reality it's not sustainable and not really funded. They'll end up in the same spot in a couple of years after classes go to 40+ kids and spec-ed programs get slashed. Then Republicans will say it's because teachers were greedy and don't really care about the kids.

They should have demanded an additional tourism tax to fund it.

Do they have a constitutionally guaranteed pension like in California?

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 570 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 29  Next

Board index » Word on the Street » News & Debate