The board's server will undergo upgrade maintenance tonight, Nov 5, 2014, beginning approximately around 10 PM ET. Prepare for some possible down time during this process.
FAQ    Search

Board index » Word on the Street » News & Debate

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 574 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29  Next
 Post subject: Re: General Education Topik
PostPosted: Mon September 18, 2023 10:36 pm 
Looks Like a Cat

B wrote:
Bi_3 wrote:
B wrote:
Bi_3 wrote:
B wrote:
Teachers should lie to parents at their own discretion.

To be fair when adults have private conversations with minors about their sex and sexuality and then lie to parents about those conversations, well… it’s raises some red flags.

sex, yes

gender and orientation, no

I’m willing to bet you do not believe that, but instead want teachers to “instill” your value system’s position on these topics while disregarding the culture, religion, and value system of the child. IOW you want the state to parent

That's an oversimplification, but if it makes you feel superior, I'll let you have the win.

Is it? Or is it that this one thing requires such a fragile combination assumptions and edge cases that attempts to generalize it bring the house of cards down? Should teachers lie to parents if they notice other signs of psychological distress like if the kid is cutting? Of if the kid is fainting in class and looking skinny? Of course not. But this one thing seems to create an exception to all other evolved practices and rules. Why? Anyway, gotta go see PJ now so I’ll leave you with the judge’s words:

“The school’s policy is a trifecta of harm: it harms the child who needs parental guidance and possibly mental health intervention to determine if the incongruence is organic or whether it is the result of bullying, peer pressure, or a fleeting impulse," U.S. District Court judge Roger Benitez wrote. "It harms the parents by depriving them of the long recognized Fourteenth Amendment right to care, guide, and make health care decisions for their children. And finally, it harms plaintiffs who are compelled to violate the parent’s rights by forcing plaintiffs to conceal information they feel is critical for the welfare of their students."

PostPosted: Tue September 19, 2023 3:53 am 
likes rhythmic things that butt up against each other

B wrote:
Teachers should lie to parents at their own discretion.

How serious is this post?

PostPosted: Tue September 19, 2023 9:56 am 
Troglodyte
 WWW  Profile

I'll rephrase, since I wrote that to trigger conservative snowflakes.

A teacher is under no obligation to make reports to parents about behavior that is not dangerous, disruptive, or detrimental to the student's academics.

PostPosted: Tue September 19, 2023 4:22 pm 
Misplaced My Sponge

B wrote:
I'll rephrase, since I wrote that to trigger conservative snowflakes.

A teacher is under no obligation to make reports to parents about behavior that is not dangerous, disruptive, or detrimental to the student's academics.

Ah yes, those irrational conservatives. Totally unreasonable to be concerned about your kid's blue haired teacher calling child protective services on you for not affirming the social transition that you didn't even know about.

Oh wait, that's the law in California.

PostPosted: Tue September 19, 2023 4:23 pm 
Production Police

B's not big on nuance.

PostPosted: Tue September 19, 2023 5:31 pm 
Troglodyte
 WWW  Profile

tragabigzanda wrote:
B's not big on nuance.

Is it nuance if schoolboy had to completely rewrite my post in order to knock it down?

PostPosted: Tue September 19, 2023 5:43 pm 
Misplaced My Sponge

B wrote:
tragabigzanda wrote:
B's not big on nuance.

Is it nuance if schoolboy had to completely rewrite my post in order to knock it down?

Social transition can't simultaneously be a no big deal secret between a teacher and student and an important mental health intervention the denial of which is tantamount to child abuse. The arguments from the progressive side seem to want it both ways.

PostPosted: Tue September 19, 2023 6:09 pm 
Looks Like a Cat

simple schoolboy wrote:
B wrote:
tragabigzanda wrote:
B's not big on nuance.

Social transition can't simultaneously be a no big deal secret between a teacher and student and an important mental health intervention the denial of which is tantamount to child abuse. The arguments from the progressive side seem to want it both ways.

It’s rational of you believe that for this one thing the state can secretly assume authority over the child from the parents and still maintain legal indemnity from the consequences for its actions which the Cali courts have suggested is ok in another recent case

PostPosted: Tue September 19, 2023 6:48 pm 
Misplaced My Sponge

Bi_3 wrote:
simple schoolboy wrote:
B wrote:
tragabigzanda wrote:
B's not big on nuance.

It’s rational of you believe that for this one thing the state can secretly assume authority over the child from the parents and still maintain legal indemnity from the consequences for its actions which the Cali courts have suggested is ok in another recent case

Taking kids away from sympathetic parents might be a political liability, hence this half-assed kludge?

PostPosted: Tue September 19, 2023 6:53 pm 
Troglodyte
 WWW  Profile

I didn't say gender identity was no big deal. I said it is not dangerous, disruptive, or detrimental to a student's academics. The teacher is under no obligation to discuss it with the parent if they or the student would prefer not to.

PostPosted: Tue September 19, 2023 7:07 pm 
Production Police

B wrote:
I didn't say gender identity was no big deal. I said it is not dangerous, disruptive, or detrimental to a student's academics. The teacher is under no obligation to discuss it with the parent if they or the student would prefer not to.

wait did you really just argue that gender identity has no bearing on academic performance?

PostPosted: Tue September 19, 2023 7:29 pm 
Troglodyte
 WWW  Profile

tragabigzanda wrote:
B wrote:

wait did you really just argue that gender identity has no bearing on academic performance?

Sure.

PostPosted: Thu September 21, 2023 5:09 am 
likes rhythmic things that butt up against each other

Do you worry about or even consider that the state could eventually take more power away from you over your children?

PostPosted: Thu September 21, 2023 9:42 am 
Troglodyte
 WWW  Profile

Matters wrote:
Do you worry about or even consider that the state could eventually take more power away from you over your children?

Via school teachers? No.

PostPosted: Thu September 21, 2023 1:03 pm 
Troglodyte
 WWW  Profile

I want my kids to be happy, health, and kind. If they need emotional support, I hope they come to me, but if they feel like that can't, and there is a teacher they feel they can confide in and get support, then I hope that teacher gets a medal.

PostPosted: Thu September 21, 2023 2:07 pm 
NEVER STOP JAMMING!

Matters wrote:

Yes, we must be vigilant.

Imagine if states started passing laws that police pronouns and identity expression in schools, until parents no longer had the right to tell their children it’s ok to be the person you are, you don’t have to hide it or be ashamed.

Truly a nightmare scenario for those who worry about government overreach.

PostPosted: Thu September 21, 2023 4:39 pm 
Misplaced My Sponge

McParadigm wrote:
Matters wrote:

Yes, we must be vigilant.

Imagine if states started passing laws that police pronouns and identity expression in schools, until parents no longer had the right to tell their children it’s ok to be the person you are, you don’t have to hide it or be ashamed.

Truly a nightmare scenario for those who worry about government overreach.

Default pronouns and parental notification are far less of an over reach than default judgements against non affirming parents and the state taking custody of kids.

PostPosted: Thu September 21, 2023 5:02 pm 
mXn

My buddy in Texas has his kids in private school because the public school puts litter boxes in the bathrooms for kids who identify as cats.

PostPosted: Thu September 21, 2023 5:11 pm 
Future Drummer

Bammer wrote:
My buddy in Texas has his kids in private school because the public school puts litter boxes in the bathrooms for kids who identify as cats.

Pretty sure this has been debunked.

But I'll say going the private school route worked well for us.

PostPosted: Thu September 21, 2023 5:16 pm 
mXn

blueviper wrote:
Bammer wrote:

Pretty sure this has been debunked.

But I'll say going the private school route worked well for us.

He is a lawyer. He can’t possibly be lying or embellishing.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 574 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29  Next

Board index » Word on the Street » News & Debate