The board's server will undergo upgrade maintenance tonight, Nov 5, 2014, beginning approximately around 10 PM ET. Prepare for some possible down time during this process.
FAQ    Search

Board index » Word on the Street » News & Debate

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 570 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20 ... 29  Next
 Post subject: Re: General Education Topik
PostPosted: Fri October 14, 2022 10:46 pm 
Mind Your Tanners

The tl;dr is tl;dr.

Can I move on to the next education discussion without sufficiently passing this conversation?

PostPosted: Sat October 15, 2022 1:13 pm 
Looks Like a Cat

If everyone fails there is no disparate impact.

PostPosted: Sat October 15, 2022 3:37 pm 
An enigma of a man shaped hole in the wall between reality and the soul of the devil.

Do kids still get expelled? Probably too late to save the few students who can be from shitholes like Baltimore or Chicago, but it could stop the bleeding in other places.

“And truly, if life had no purpose, and I had to choose nonsense, this would be the most desirable nonsense for me as well."

PostPosted: Sat October 15, 2022 5:56 pm 
Mind Your Tanners

The cartoon man from Mississippi wants to opine about inner city education.

PostPosted: Sat October 15, 2022 6:35 pm 
An enigma of a man shaped hole in the wall between reality and the soul of the devil.

Mississippi public schools are probably in the unsalvageable category, sadly, though not nearly as disfunctional as the inner cities.

“And truly, if life had no purpose, and I had to choose nonsense, this would be the most desirable nonsense for me as well."

PostPosted: Sat October 15, 2022 11:15 pm 
The Master

Student debt relief app is live and takes five seconds

PostPosted: Sat October 15, 2022 11:33 pm 
Mind Your Tanners

A moment on the clicks, a lifetime on the entire American economy :shake:

PostPosted: Sun October 16, 2022 12:28 am 
The Master

What if I’m reinvesting the entire relief amount into a managed deep green portfolio of publicly traded companies? Is that ok?

PostPosted: Sun October 16, 2022 7:34 pm 
Looks Like a Cat

BurtReynolds wrote:
Do kids still get expelled? Probably too late to save the few students who can be from shitholes like Baltimore or Chicago, but it could stop the bleeding in other places.

We are all 'restorative justice' now Burt.

PostPosted: Sun October 16, 2022 7:59 pm 

Exceptional students at these public schools are basically left to fend for themselves because of self righteous do-gooders insisting that everyone succeed equally, even at the cost of those of higher merit (but at no cost to the moralist do-gooders, naturally.)

PostPosted: Thu October 20, 2022 10:07 pm 
Misplaced My Sponge

PostPosted: Thu October 20, 2022 10:17 pm 

Well yeah, because getting rid of the tests was always about letting elite kids bypass pesky standards.

Last edited by BurtReynolds on Thu October 20, 2022 11:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu October 20, 2022 10:33 pm 
Misplaced My Sponge

BurtReynolds wrote:
Exceptional students at these public schools are basically left to fend for themselves because of self righteous do-gooders insisting that everyone succeed equally, even at the cost of those of higher merit (but at no cost to the moralist do-gooders, naturally.)

Eliminating 8th grade Algebra feels a little bit handicapper general. Actively removing resources from high achieving kids so they don't pull too far away from their peers.

PostPosted: Fri October 21, 2022 2:59 am 
Mind Your Tanners

simple schoolboy wrote:

I'm trying to figure out the outrage meter.

Should they admit by diversity or not?

Apps overall are down, again.

Hard to get students to take on this expense and feel like joining the rat race is worth it.

PostPosted: Fri October 21, 2022 3:03 am 
Misplaced My Sponge

elliseamos wrote:
simple schoolboy wrote:

Hard to get students to take on this expense and feel like joining the rat race is worth it.

As predicted, test scores are the least bad measure of merit. These changes were almost exclusively to the benefit of the not bright children of the upper middle class.

PostPosted: Fri October 21, 2022 3:11 am 
Misplaced My Sponge

American reading instruction is bad on purpose? I thought whole language learning was just a random fad that displaced phonics, but no, it's part and parcel of critical theory.

PostPosted: Fri October 21, 2022 3:18 am 
Mind Your Tanners

simple schoolboy wrote:
elliseamos wrote:
simple schoolboy wrote:

As predicted, test scores are the least bad measure of merit. These changes were almost exclusively to the benefit of the not bright children of the upper middle class.

I mean, 3 yields ago it was because students couldn't take the test. Then schools enjoyed the opportunity to not use the scores. Now they've shifted to keeping them optional, but the real change is that Zoom recruitment sessions is not as effective as in-person fly in conversations.

PostPosted: Mon October 24, 2022 5:38 am 
Misplaced My Sponge

elliseamos wrote:
simple schoolboy wrote:
elliseamos wrote:
simple schoolboy wrote:

I mean, 3 yields ago it was because students couldn't take the test. Then schools enjoyed the opportunity to not use the scores. Now they've shifted to keeping them optional, but the real change is that Zoom recruitment sessions is not as effective as in-person fly in conversations.

There were both pushes from "Junior doesn't test well" and DEI folx to make testing optional well before COVID. That accelerated things, for sure, but testing optional as a policy was not generally a pandemic pending thing, as few have rolled it back.

It has benefited the"Junior doesn't test well" crowd far more than those the DEI folx claim to advocate for. So, it was partially successful?

PostPosted: Mon October 24, 2022 11:55 am 
Looks Like a Cat

Rolling back the SAT/ACT is one thing... but the pushes to eliminate the MCAT and LSAT are going to have very serious consequences for society.

PostPosted: Tue October 25, 2022 10:36 am 
Mind Your Tanners

simple schoolboy wrote:
elliseamos wrote:
simple schoolboy wrote:
elliseamos wrote:
simple schoolboy wrote:

There were both pushes from "Junior doesn't test well" and DEI folx to make testing optional well before COVID. That accelerated things, for sure, but testing optional as a policy was not generally a pandemic pending thing, as few have rolled it back.

It has benefited the"Junior doesn't test well" crowd far more than those the DEI folx claim to advocate for. So, it was partially successful?

Could be. But at the same time, when schools take dei into account during admissions there is outrage there, too.

Schools have elected to not require tests because they're comfortable with their yields the last few years.

The greater problem is the decrease in boys going to college and like I've said, they're finding it hard to convince kids to go.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 570 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20 ... 29  Next

Board index » Word on the Street » News & Debate