The board's server will undergo upgrade maintenance tonight, Nov 5, 2014, beginning approximately around 10 PM ET. Prepare for some possible down time during this process.
FAQ    Search

Board index » Word on the Street » News & Debate

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 574 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15 ... 29  Next
 Post subject: Re: General Education Topik
PostPosted: Thu November 11, 2021 7:18 pm 
Mind Your Tanners

Bi_3 wrote:
elliseamos wrote:
elliseamos wrote:
Bi_3 wrote:
Without reading any of that, Proficiency Based grading has been a push for a while now. It's stupid and infuriating, but it's not new.

I read most of it and it's definitely just the (at least) 10-year old proficiency based grading conversation that now includes economic and racial equity as drivers of the need for change.

Maybe this is your point, but isn't that type of evaluation too subjective for assessment at secondary school level?

If I'm reading this right, yes, PBG is intended to remove opportunity for subjectivity to make grading more binary if anchors/rubrics are promoted upfront and used accurately.

But then the output on transcripts requires the inclusion of the qualitative information in each subject to explain the grade.

Also, it often creates a scenario where one person created something in 2 weeks and another created something over 4 weeks, and yet they are measured equally despite the time difference. Whether the assignment was "on time" goes out the window and is scored elsewhere. Often called a "Habits of Work" score. This again muddles a transcript b/c it forces more qualitative information be included.

At which point, the person deciding whom to accept at a college is moving on to the next application because the app. reviewer can read grades more easily on the traditional transcript and gets the qualitative information from the letters of recommendation & essay.

So in a sense, it removes subjectivity from grading and puts it on the evaluation downstream at the post-secondary level.

PostPosted: Thu November 11, 2021 7:27 pm 
Mind Your Tanners

McParadigm wrote:
elliseamos wrote:
elliseamos wrote:
Bi_3 wrote:
Without reading any of that, Proficiency Based grading has been a push for a while now. It's stupid and infuriating, but it's not new.

I read most of it and it's definitely just the (at least) 10-year old proficiency based grading conversation that now includes economic and racial equity as drivers of the need for change.

It’s a standard in surgical and anesthesia curricula.

Really, most internship/residencies in medical specialties education can be described as proficiency-based.

That's a completely different world than K-12, no?

I'm all for formative/summarize gradebooks and no homework, but not the reinvention of the work "fail" to now be "below benchmark" and leaving kids & parents in the dark that they don't have the credits/skills to move on... until they somehow (miraculously) demonstrate "at benchmark" come the end of Senior year. Because, again, whether it was "on time" or not is a different grade.

PostPosted: Thu November 11, 2021 7:32 pm 
Mind Your Tanners

I should probably go to the conspiracy theory thread for this, but I'm of the belief that this sort of shit is intended to drive people to private/charter schools and to grind down the teachers union.

Old guard doesn't want to put up with this shit.
New guard gets burned out quicker.

Turnover weakens the negotiating power.

PostPosted: Thu November 11, 2021 7:41 pm 
Looks Like a Cat

elliseamos wrote:
Bi_3 wrote:
elliseamos wrote:
elliseamos wrote:
Bi_3 wrote:

Maybe this is your point, but isn't that type of evaluation too subjective for assessment at secondary school level?

If I'm reading this right, yes, PBG is intended to remove opportunity for subjectivity to make grading more binary if anchors/rubrics are promoted upfront and used accurately.

But then the output on transcripts requires the inclusion of the qualitative information in each subject to explain the grade.

Also, it often creates a scenario where one person created something in 2 weeks and another created something over 4 weeks, and yet they are measured equally despite the time difference. Whether the assignment was "on time" goes out the window and is scored elsewhere. Often called a "Habits of Work" score. This again muddles a transcript b/c it forces more qualitative information be included.

At which point, the person deciding whom to accept at a college is moving on to the next application because the app. reviewer can read grades more easily on the traditional transcript and gets the qualitative information from the letters of recommendation & essay.

So in a sense, it removes subjectivity from grading and puts it on the evaluation downstream at the post-secondary level.

Awesome post, thanks. Makes more sense now

PostPosted: Thu November 11, 2021 10:23 pm 
NEVER STOP JAMMING!

elliseamos wrote:
McParadigm wrote:
elliseamos wrote:
elliseamos wrote:
Bi_3 wrote:

Really, most internship/residencies in medical specialties education can be described as proficiency-based.

I'm all for formative/summarize gradebooks and no homework, but not the reinvention of the work "fail" to now be "below benchmark" and leaving kids & parents in the dark that they don't have the credits/skills to move on... until they somehow (miraculously) demonstrate "at benchmark" come the end of Senior year. Because, again, whether it was "on time" or not is a different grade.

I’m not advocating or opposing. I’m merely stating what is.

My personal stance on the matter is that no approach to grading or student advancement is going to resolve student educative performance frustrations, because the problem is entirely on the instruction side. Our adherence to a format and philosophy of inducing learning that predates all of our cognitive and childhood development research, and all of our technological advancements, is factually limiting. You’ll never fix that with more tests, and you will never fix it by changing how you grade.

PostPosted: Fri November 12, 2021 12:58 am 
Mind Your Tanners

McParadigm wrote:
elliseamos wrote:
McParadigm wrote:
elliseamos wrote:
elliseamos wrote:
Bi_3 wrote:

My personal stance on the matter is that no approach to grading or student advancement is going to resolve student educative performance frustrations, because the problem is entirely on the instruction side. Our adherence to a format and philosophy of inducing learning that predates all of our cognitive and childhood development research, and all of our technological advancements, is factually limiting. You’ll never fix that with more tests, and you will never fix it by changing how you grade.

Agreed.

As much as people would explode over it, the flipped classroom model would be amazing if only everyone's nightly living atrangements/support could allow them to watch the class lesson for homework.

PostPosted: Fri November 12, 2021 2:55 am 
Future Drummer

elliseamos wrote:
McParadigm wrote:
elliseamos wrote:
McParadigm wrote:
elliseamos wrote:
elliseamos wrote:
Bi_3 wrote:

Agreed.

As much as people would explode over it, the flipped classroom model would be amazing if only everyone's nightly living atrangements/support could allow them to watch the class lesson for homework.

What does “nightly living arrangements/support” mean?

PostPosted: Fri November 12, 2021 3:34 am 
Mind Your Tanners

surfndestroy wrote:
elliseamos wrote:
McParadigm wrote:
elliseamos wrote:
McParadigm wrote:
elliseamos wrote:
elliseamos wrote:
Bi_3 wrote:

Agreed.

Some people/students are poor and/or parentless.

PostPosted: Fri November 12, 2021 12:01 pm 
likes rhythmic things that butt up against each other

elliseamos wrote:
surfndestroy wrote:
elliseamos wrote:
McParadigm wrote:
elliseamos wrote:
McParadigm wrote:
elliseamos wrote:
elliseamos wrote:
Bi_3 wrote:

Agreed.

Exactly. I teach in New Orleans, and many of my seniors leave school and work late to help support their families. I also have multiple students who left their parents and are living on their own or with friends, working to make ends meet. These kids are doing the best they can to graduate, but they definitely don't have a lot of free time once they walk out of the building at 3:45.

PostPosted: Fri November 12, 2021 2:56 pm 
Mind Your Tanners

Stardog Champion wrote:
elliseamos wrote:
surfndestroy wrote:
elliseamos wrote:
McParadigm wrote:
elliseamos wrote:
McParadigm wrote:
elliseamos wrote:
elliseamos wrote:
Bi_3 wrote:

Agreed.

Exactly. I teach in New Orleans, and many of my seniors leave school and work late to help support their families. I also have multiple students who left their parents and are living on their own or with friends, working to make ends meet. These kids are doing the best they can to graduate, but they definitely don't have a lot of free time once they walk out of the building at 3:45.

Yeah yeah, but are they "at benchmark" or "approaching benchmark?"

PostPosted: Fri November 12, 2021 4:36 pm 
See you in another life, brother

Yeah I do a flipped classroom but I have AP students in a comfortable suburb. It works great for me here but it's probably a nonstarter in a lot more contexts than it isn't.

PostPosted: Fri November 12, 2021 4:50 pm 
Future Drummer

4/5 wrote:
Yeah I do a flipped classroom but I have AP students in a comfortable suburb. It works great for me here but it's probably a nonstarter in a lot more contexts than it isn't.

Flipping the classroom can and should be done by every student on their own. But since this won’t happen, I think you need the status quo.
School/work is super easy if you just stay one day ahead of the teacher/boss. In school that allows you to ask questions where you are unsure, and at work it allows you to look up the answers and look like the expert.
If you make flipping the classroom the norm, even more kids are going to fall behind.

PostPosted: Fri November 12, 2021 5:33 pm 
Looks Like a Cat

How would it work for younger kids under say, 12?

PostPosted: Fri November 12, 2021 5:47 pm 
Mind Your Tanners

Bi_3 wrote:

Ideally it doesn't matter what age a student is, think of it like Khan Academy is the teacher (standardized instruction delivery) and every student logs on and watches the lesson. Maybe they learn to take notes as they get older. Then, when the students are at school, the teacher in the room gives students what has traditionally been the homework done overnight. Now that everyone is in person with a teacher than can answer questions (not a parent trying to remember geometry or whatnot), the class works through the material that the teacher knows everyone watched the same lesson about.

It's fantasy land for most of the country right now, but when the communists finally win, it will probably be part of their brave new world.

PostPosted: Fri November 12, 2021 6:04 pm 
See you in another life, brother

elliseamos wrote:
Bi_3 wrote:

Ideally it doesn't matter what age a student is, think of it like Khan Academy is the teacher (standardized instruction delivery) and every student logs on and watches the lesson. Maybe they learn to take notes as they get older. Then, when the students are at school, the teacher in the room gives students what has traditionally been the homework done overnight. Now that everyone is in person with a teacher than can answer questions (not a parent trying to remember geometry or whatnot), the class works through the material that the teacher knows everyone watched the same lesson about.

It's fantasy land for most of the country right now, but when the communists finally win, it will probably be part of their brave new world.

Hey! I ain't no commie but I'm very pro-flipped classroom!!!

PostPosted: Fri November 12, 2021 6:10 pm 
Mind Your Tanners

4/5 wrote:
elliseamos wrote:
Bi_3 wrote:

Hey! I ain't no commie but I'm very pro-flipped classroom!!!

I am too. I just don't see all the necessary funding/logistics being taken care of until the blue and white is off our nation's flag.

PostPosted: Fri November 12, 2021 6:15 pm 
Looks Like a Cat

elliseamos wrote:
Bi_3 wrote:

Interesting. I've read that one of the (if not the) biggest issues with under-performing groups is engagement. How does this help? It seems like those who are predisposed to academics.. autodidacts... would love this. Or people with non-working parents who can help dive deeper into the concepts in the lesson. The open learning part sounds awesome, like Montessori or something, but my old-ass parent self would be wary of my kids benefiting from non-interactive lessons.

PostPosted: Fri November 12, 2021 6:21 pm 
NEVER STOP JAMMING!

Bi_3 wrote:

I’m not really talking about a flipped classroom, myself. But I was working with seventh graders (11-13), >75% below the poverty line, >60% speaking English as a second language. I was also (co-)piloting co-teaching as a method of SPED integration for the district at the time, so I had a huge Special Education population in my classroom.

What we did was incredibly laborious and, for me personally, a bit financially expensive (I spent upwards of $1,500 in the setup), but we outpaced the school and the district on every metric (test scores, work completion, behavior). The problem was the cost, the incredible work load it created for the teacher, and the ability to implement it…the kids were in no way a limiting factor.

PostPosted: Fri November 12, 2021 6:41 pm 
Mind Your Tanners

Bi_3 wrote:
elliseamos wrote:
Bi_3 wrote:

Interesting. I've read that one of the (if not the) biggest issues with under-performing groups is engagement. How does this help? It seems like those who are predisposed to academics.. autodidacts... would love this. Or people with non-working parents who can help dive deeper into the concepts in the lesson. The open learning part sounds awesome, like Montessori or something, but my old-ass parent self would be wary of my kids benefiting from non-interactive lessons.

Right, engagement/support for education is always one of the biggest factors.

PostPosted: Tue November 23, 2021 6:44 pm 
Misplaced My Sponge

What is the win here?q

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 574 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15 ... 29  Next

Board index » Word on the Street » News & Debate