The board's server will undergo upgrade maintenance tonight, Nov 5, 2014, beginning approximately around 10 PM ET. Prepare for some possible down time during this process.
FAQ    Search

Board index » Word on the Street » News & Debate

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 574 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11 ... 29  Next
 Post subject: Re: General Education Topik
PostPosted: Sat February 20, 2021 2:44 pm 
Looks Like a Cat

elliseamos wrote:
"In either case, eliminating testing requirements helps the failchildren of white elites more than any other demographic."

My statement that this is not true is based on the fact that it's all a ruse. And there isn't anyway around it.

Standardized tests will always give advantage to those of higher socioeconomic position. If you/your family/your school district can afford to prep, take it multiple times, and/or seek out psych. evaluations that could grant you accommodations you're already ahead of others of lesser position.

The demographic you've identified have advantage with or without tests. Eliminating the requirement will only cause more people to apply to the elite schools and drive the acceptance rates down further, but it's not indicative of a NEW advantage, it's the same one that was always there just without the myth of test scores.

How do you separate economically advantaged areas from cognitive sorting?

Also, I agree test prep makes a huge difference for many people, myself included as my SAT went up 80 points after taking a free prep course at the local community college.

PostPosted: Sat February 20, 2021 3:56 pm 
Misplaced My Sponge

The SATs used to better correlate with IQ (pre 1996?). If test prep actually works, its probably in areas where the SAT has strayed from its original role. Also, test prep can work marginally short term, but good luck on a re-test five years later.

Regardless, testing is far less gameable than grades or extra cirruculars. Give us a better objective measure, then we'll go with with that. Don't replace an imperfect system with *whatever this is*.

For the SF school debate, one of the board members shitting on testing for Lowell has their kids in a similarly fancy public (arts) school. There the kids audition with an instrument or portfolio. No way for the wealthy or well connected to set their kids up to win that, eh?

PostPosted: Sat February 20, 2021 4:13 pm 
Mind Your Tanners

Bi_3 wrote:
elliseamos wrote:
"In either case, eliminating testing requirements helps the failchildren of white elites more than any other demographic."

My statement that this is not true is based on the fact that it's all a ruse. And there isn't anyway around it.

Standardized tests will always give advantage to those of higher socioeconomic position. If you/your family/your school district can afford to prep, take it multiple times, and/or seek out psych. evaluations that could grant you accommodations you're already ahead of others of lesser position.

The demographic you've identified have advantage with or without tests. Eliminating the requirement will only cause more people to apply to the elite schools and drive the acceptance rates down further, but it's not indicative of a NEW advantage, it's the same one that was always there just without the myth of test scores.

Also, I agree test prep makes a huge difference for many people, myself included as my SAT went up 80 points after taking a free prep course at the local community college.

You'll have to explain more of what you mean by "cognitive sorting" before I can answer that.

PostPosted: Sat February 20, 2021 4:20 pm 
Mind Your Tanners

simple schoolboy wrote:
The SATs used to better correlate with IQ (pre 1996?). If test prep actually works, its probably in areas where the SAT has strayed from its original role. Also, test prep can work marginally short term, but good luck on a re-test five years later.

Regardless, testing is far less gameable than grades or extra cirruculars. Give us a better objective measure, then we'll go with with that. Don't replace an imperfect system with *whatever this is*.

For the SF school debate, one of the board members shitting on testing for Lowell has their kids in a similarly fancy public (arts) school. There the kids audition with an instrument or portfolio. No way for the wealthy or well connected to set their kids up to win that, eh?
Who preps five years in advance? Test prep is a big business, so much so that collegeboard tried to get a slice with a Khan Academy synced option that is free for those that have access to internet and opportunity to take the PSAT -- The PSAT now gets offered in 8th, 9th, 10th, and 11th grade -- or the SAT multiple times. That's only part of what I mean by prep, there are also paid testing strategies classes that those with the means can sign their kids up for.

As for Magnet schools (arts, STEM, or otherwise) I've already said I believe them to be part of the larger problem.

PostPosted: Sat February 20, 2021 6:09 pm 
Looks Like a Cat

elliseamos wrote:
Bi_3 wrote:
elliseamos wrote:

You'll have to explain more of what you mean by "cognitive sorting" before I can answer that.

In the modern economy intelligence and economic success are highly correlated. I am not, not, not saying rich equals smart and smart equals rich in all cases. But doctors, lawyers, engineers all tend to be in the top decile of traditional measures of intelligence and more they all tend to have similar value systems which means they cluster. (The Bay Area is a great example of this phenomenon.). In essence they “sort” themselves into communities where they feel the best fit, ie cognitive similarity, like recent immigrants did in the 20th century. So which is it that makes schools in these areas perform better? That the are populated with the kids of smart people or that they are populated with the kids of richer people?

PostPosted: Sat February 20, 2021 6:50 pm 
Mind Your Tanners

Bi_3 wrote:
elliseamos wrote:
Bi_3 wrote:
elliseamos wrote:

In the modern economy intelligence and economic success are highly correlated. I am not, not, not saying rich equals smart and smart equals rich in all cases. But doctors, lawyers, engineers all tend to be in the top decile of traditional measures of intelligence and more they all tend to have similar value systems which means they cluster. (The Bay Area is a great example of this phenomenon.). In essence they “sort” themselves into communities where they feel the best fit, ie cognitive similarity, like recent immigrants did in the 20th century. So which is it that makes schools in these areas perform better? That the are populated with the kids of smart people or that they are populated with the kids of richer people?
Thanks, but why would it be binary? Also, this still ignores that college education and degrees are seen as distinctly "better" from an Ivy or similarly selective institution than other schools which is not true and only furthers the ruse. Lastly, "traditional measures of intelligence" are a tough thing to debate without getting way off track.

PostPosted: Sat February 20, 2021 11:33 pm 
Mind Your Tanners

Quote:
Also, this still ignores that college education and degrees are seen as distinctly "better" from an Ivy or similarly selective institution than other schools which is not true and only furthers the ruse.

It's not true, but it's also not not-true either.

PostPosted: Sun February 21, 2021 12:08 am 
An enigma of a man shaped hole in the wall between reality and the soul of the devil.

elliseamos wrote:

Standardized tests will always give advantage to those of higher socioeconomic position.

Standardized test scores may favor rich kids (or at least those rich kids whose parents paid to prepare them, which I don't see as bad even if its unfair), but when you take them away, the remaining selection criteria favor rich kids even more. And the rich failsons with no prep sneak in. This is extremely unfair. But if we look at it not in terms of fairness, and assume that it's in society's best interests for the most able to be most rewarded regardless of background (a big assumption), then standardized tests make even more sense.

“And truly, if life had no purpose, and I had to choose nonsense, this would be the most desirable nonsense for me as well."

PostPosted: Sun February 21, 2021 12:31 am 
Looks Like a Cat

BurtReynolds wrote:
elliseamos wrote:

Standardized tests will always give advantage to those of higher socioeconomic position.

Standardized test scores may favor rich kids (or at least those rich kids whose parents paid to prepare them, which I don't see as bad even if its unfair), but when you take them away, the remaining selection criteria favor rich kids even more. And the rich failsons with no prep sneak in. This is extremely unfair. But if we look at it not in terms of fairness, and assume that it's in society's best interests for the most able to be most rewarded regardless of background (a big assumption), then standardized tests make even more sense.

How does this is ensure equity?

PostPosted: Sun February 21, 2021 2:01 am 
Mind Your Tanners

Bi_3 wrote:
BurtReynolds wrote:
elliseamos wrote:

How does this is ensure equity?
Are we still talking about selective colleges with this "most rewarded" concept? Leaving out test scores is not going to change whether Barron Trump can "sneak in" to a SUNY/CUNY school... because he's not going to go there, so what are we worrying about? If we're talking about "fairness" meaning entry to college and it being affordable and an actual ladder to a better life, selective schools are not the route to take. Also, most colleges, regardless of selectivity, say your transcript is the most important factor. Tests scores have been viewed as closer to letters of recommendation and demonstrated interest, and were dropping in importance even before the pandemic.

PostPosted: Sun February 21, 2021 3:49 am 
Misplaced My Sponge

How many people could opt out of a bachelors degree if not for Griggs vs. Duke Power?

If a high school diploma hadn't been so debased, that could be a reasonable sorting criteria, but instead we are stuck with a system when people need a 4 year degree when a Microsoft Office certification should suffice.

If the Google certs actually work, I expect a similar disparate impact analysis banning them, signed by Roberts.

PostPosted: Sun February 21, 2021 1:52 pm 
Mind Your Tanners

simple schoolboy wrote:
How many people could opt out of a bachelors degree if not for Griggs vs. Duke Power?

If a high school diploma hadn't been so debased, that could be a reasonable sorting criteria, but instead we are stuck with a system when people need a 4 year degree when a Microsoft Office certification should suffice.

If the Google certs actually work, I expect a similar disparate impact analysis banning them, signed by Roberts.

A good many employers and/or associates degree programs will accept ACT Work Keys, but it's not as well known.

PostPosted: Tue March 02, 2021 5:39 pm 
Future Drummer

https://www.msn.com/en-ca/news/politics/over-70-of-conservative-academics-reported-a-hostile-work-environment-in-higher-education-study/ar-BB1e7uPs?ocid=msedgntp

"Twelve percent of academics "openly admitted" to discriminating against conservative "paper submissions" and "promotion applications." Another 20% said they did the same to right-leaning grants.

PostPosted: Tue March 02, 2021 5:44 pm 
Mind Your Tanners

Wow, that's way too low.

PostPosted: Tue March 02, 2021 5:59 pm 
Future Drummer

Mickey wrote:
Wow, that's way too low.

Those are the numbers for those who openly admit, aka proud of it. I am sure the real number is substantially higher and disgusting.

It's like they're proud of creating an extremely toxic workplace.

PostPosted: Tue March 02, 2021 6:04 pm 
Mind Your Tanners

Not nearly toxic enough:

Quote:
A total of 18% would dismiss an educator for saying women and other minorities perform more poorly at their jobs

PostPosted: Thu March 04, 2021 4:06 am 
Looks Like a Cat

Good lord:

https://foxbaltimore.com/news/project-b ... th-013-gpa

Quote:
“Why would he do three more years in school? He didn't fail, the school failed him. The school failed at their job. They failed. They failed, that's the problem here. They failed. They failed. ”

Probably not 100% the schools fault

PostPosted: Thu March 04, 2021 9:09 pm 
Mind Your Tanners

That is brutal.

Have to believe there's more to it and mom's not being honest.

PostPosted: Thu March 04, 2021 10:11 pm 
Future Drummer

elliseamos wrote:
That is brutal.

Have to believe there's more to it and mom's not being honest.

I think that aligns with what they do here in BC.

No one is held back a grade because that would be bad for their self-esteem. The student is expected to take summer school to pass the class(es) they failed prior to starting the new school year in the advanced grade class. Failure to do so will only result in direct action at graduation time when no diploma as awarded. My son had friends in high school who tool both routes, summer school to catch up and graduating, and those who didn't and have nothing to show for their teenage years.

There are supposed to be some parent/teacher interviews along the way and phone calls directly to the parents but I have no idea how much of this type of follow up is done.

PostPosted: Mon April 12, 2021 11:30 am 
Looks Like a Cat

come at me bro!

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 574 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11 ... 29  Next

Board index » Word on the Street » News & Debate