The board's server will undergo upgrade maintenance tonight, Nov 5, 2014, beginning approximately around 10 PM ET. Prepare for some possible down time during this process.
FAQ    Search

Board index » Word on the Street » News & Debate

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 570 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26 ... 29  Next
 Post subject: Re: General Education Topik
PostPosted: Thu March 23, 2023 7:05 pm 
Looks Like a Cat

simple schoolboy wrote:
elliseamos wrote:
Yeah, no.

They were underpaid before, they are underpaid now.

People don't want to do the job for the low salaries and now understand that they'll be asked to do more (for less) should another pandemic arrive.

The unions worked to keep the schools closed against the wishes of the rank and file?

The closures also forced a lot of parents to actually look at what their kids were studying instead of just asking how the day went during dinner and the consensus seems to be "what the..."

PostPosted: Fri March 24, 2023 3:21 am 
The Master

Bi_3 wrote:
elliseamos wrote:
4/5 wrote:
elliseamos wrote:
Some places require masters degrees

To teach k-12?

Sorry for the lazy, too short response... not to "teach" but some positions listed as "teacher" because they're part of the teacher salary pay-scale & contract structure are master-level required job listings. Could skew the data on Bi's chart.

I'm actually struggling to get a solid understanding of the situation. Like, I believe McP that it's a long standing issue that is getting worse and salary is the fastest way to start to address it... but I wonder if the time for 'just pay them more' has passed. The pandemic permanently altered the whole conversation and I don't think the old explanations are enough now.

don't play dumb, people will put up with all sorts of shit for more money.

PostPosted: Fri March 24, 2023 3:48 am 
Misplaced My Sponge

spike wrote:
Bi_3 wrote:
elliseamos wrote:
4/5 wrote:
elliseamos wrote:

To teach k-12?

Sorry for the lazy, too short response... not to "teach" but some positions listed as "teacher" because they're part of the teacher salary pay-scale & contract structure are master-level required job listings. Could skew the data on Bi's chart.

I'm actually struggling to get a solid understanding of the situation. Like, I believe McP that it's a long standing issue that is getting worse and salary is the fastest way to start to address it... but I wonder if the time for 'just pay them more' has passed. The pandemic permanently altered the whole conversation and I don't think the old explanations are enough now.

There's money on the front end and there's money on the backend. Outside of public sector jobs, almost no one gets defined benefit retirement plans. You become a teacher for 3 months off a year and a pension at the end, not for the pay.

PostPosted: Fri March 24, 2023 4:14 am 
mXn

simple schoolboy wrote:
spike wrote:
Bi_3 wrote:
elliseamos wrote:
4/5 wrote:
elliseamos wrote:

To teach k-12?

There's money on the front end and there's money on the backend. Outside of public sector jobs, almost no one gets defined benefit retirement plans. You become a teacher for 3 months off a year and a pension at the end, not for the pay.

And not for the kids

PostPosted: Fri March 24, 2023 4:19 am 
Misplaced My Sponge

Bammer wrote:
simple schoolboy wrote:
spike wrote:
Bi_3 wrote:
elliseamos wrote:
4/5 wrote:
elliseamos wrote:

To teach k-12?

And not for the kids

I am assured the Teachers hated remote learning and really would have preferred to be in person for the duration. I am assured of this.

PostPosted: Fri March 24, 2023 4:45 am 
The Master

simple schoolboy wrote:
spike wrote:
Bi_3 wrote:
elliseamos wrote:
4/5 wrote:
elliseamos wrote:

To teach k-12?

sure, but what if the pay was higher

PostPosted: Fri March 24, 2023 5:05 am 
Misplaced My Sponge

spike wrote:
simple schoolboy wrote:
spike wrote:
Bi_3 wrote:
elliseamos wrote:
4/5 wrote:
elliseamos wrote:

To teach k-12?

What if a K-12 education qualified you to teach K-5 or K-8 without additional low value add certification? What if a relatively large number of High School graduates taught for a year or two before moving onto something else?

What if in the world of remote learning Chat-GPT is a better tutor than human remote teachers waiting out the months til' summer or the years til retirement?

PostPosted: Fri March 24, 2023 9:47 am 
Mind Your Tanners

No, let's let 50 different governors decide what gets taught, how we measure how teachers are doing teaching it, and what the "education marketplace" should look like.

PostPosted: Fri March 24, 2023 12:07 pm 
Looks Like a Cat

spike wrote:

No kidding, I said that on the previous page with the rig worker example. But there appears to be five interrelated issues:

1.) Getting more people to become teachers
2.) Keeping existing teachers in the job
3.) Keeping existing teachers in the school/district
4.) Student achievement
5.) Voter support for public school teachers and public education

More money (and something like salary increases tied to inflation) seems like a no-brainer. It helps 1-3, but it might actually make 4 and 5 more significant if the perception is the investment doesn't off... then you are in a worse state.

PostPosted: Fri March 24, 2023 3:44 pm 
Misplaced My Sponge

elliseamos wrote:
No, let's let 50 different governors decide what gets taught, how we measure how teachers are doing teaching it, and what the "education marketplace" should look like.

Don't we all agree that the most recent federal involvement in education, NCLB was a flop? I don't think Federalizing everything is an obvious solution.

Blowing up all the Education departments and starting over might be necessary. If they can't even acknowledge how wrong they've been about phonics, what have they gotten right?

PostPosted: Fri March 24, 2023 3:50 pm 
The Master

simple schoolboy wrote:
spike wrote:
simple schoolboy wrote:
spike wrote:
Bi_3 wrote:
elliseamos wrote:
4/5 wrote:
elliseamos wrote:

To teach k-12?

What if a K-12 education qualified you to teach K-5 or K-8 without additional low value add certification? What if a relatively large number of High School graduates taught for a year or two before moving onto something else?

What if in the world of remote learning Chat-GPT is a better tutor than human remote teachers waiting out the months til' summer or the years til retirement?

My god you’re jaded.

PostPosted: Fri March 24, 2023 4:28 pm 
Mind Your Tanners

simple schoolboy wrote:
elliseamos wrote:

Don't we all agree that the most recent federal involvement in education, NCLB was a flop? I don't think Federalizing everything is an obvious solution.

Blowing up all the Education departments and starting over might be necessary. If they can't even acknowledge how wrong they've been about phonics, what have they gotten right?

"Race to the Top" came on the heels of NCLB and still left the door open for charter schools to skirt the rules that everyone else played by (with the same public funds, mind you). That's what I meant ny the "education marketplace". Some governors have no problem hurting their state's existing public schools to steer money to for-profit schools.

PostPosted: Sat March 25, 2023 9:06 pm 
NEVER STOP JAMMING!

Quote:
ORLANDO, Fla. – Florida’s public schools continue to deal with a shortage of teachers.
Vacancies have doubled in the Sunshine State over the last two years, and it’s estimated more than 100,000 students do not have a full-time teacher.

Gov. Ron DeSantis pushed lawmakers to boost starting teacher salaries to $47,500, which ranks 16th in the country. Overall though, Florida’s average teacher pay is ranked 49th.
“Florida, I think, is one of the worst in the nation,” Spar said. “There are some studies out there that show we have the second most number of vacancies in the nation right now.”

https://www.clickorlando.com/news/local ... he-nation/

PostPosted: Sat March 25, 2023 9:15 pm 
The Master

Honest question for those who were really digging in the last couple weeks: Do you see any world where public education in the US is truly great? And I mean along multiple horizons: quality of education, teacher salaries, dynamic support resources for students across skill/ability levels?

I’m generally a very optimistic person and have a hard-on for most things that might qualify as a public good, but I’m not holding my breath on this one.

PostPosted: Sat March 25, 2023 9:28 pm 
Mind Your Tanners

tragabigzanda wrote:
Honest question for those who were really digging in the last couple weeks: Do you see any world where public education in the US is truly great? And I mean along multiple horizons: quality of education, teacher salaries, dynamic support resources for students across skill/ability levels?

I’m generally a very optimistic person and have a hard-on for most things that might qualify as a public good, but I’m not holding my breath on this one.

I work in a tremendous school system. While rare, they do exist.

PostPosted: Sat March 25, 2023 9:31 pm 
The Master

Aren’t you in another country ?

Also I do know there are some phenomenal schools in NYC

PostPosted: Sat March 25, 2023 9:32 pm 
Mind Your Tanners

tragabigzanda wrote:
Aren’t you in another country ?

Also I do know there are some phenomenal schools in NYC

Does my location not help answer that for you?

I'm in Maine, trag. I work at a public high school.

One of the best funded in the state, mind you.

PostPosted: Sat March 25, 2023 9:36 pm 
The Master

I’m on mobile so not seeing your location. Interesting that the school is great. I assume teachers are well-paid?

PostPosted: Sat March 25, 2023 9:44 pm 
Mind Your Tanners

tragabigzanda wrote:
I’m on mobile so not seeing your location. Interesting that the school is great. I assume teachers are well-paid?

"One of the best funded in the state" means our contract is what other communities use as comps.

PostPosted: Sat March 25, 2023 11:36 pm 
Looks Like a Cat

Hmmm… what is this “Flexible Scheduling” thing? I thought it just a small group of kids on campus just a tiny district of 3 schools in Ohio.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 570 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26 ... 29  Next

Board index » Word on the Street » News & Debate