The board's server will undergo upgrade maintenance tonight, Nov 5, 2014, beginning approximately around 10 PM ET. Prepare for some possible down time during this process.
FAQ    Search

Board index » Word on the Street » News & Debate

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 574 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14 ... 29  Next
 Post subject: Re: General Education Topik
PostPosted: Tue August 31, 2021 10:43 pm 
Site Admin

4/5 wrote:
Students at my school are planning a protest against the misogynist/sexist dress code on Friday. "Bring a sign, wear your favorite crop top!!!"
Dress codes are so evil. Mindblowing that we're still debating this in 2021.

PostPosted: Tue September 07, 2021 5:17 pm 
likes rhythmic things that butt up against each other

I haven't really followed the discussion in this thread, but I find the studies about how IQ influences educational success fascinating, and thought some of you might be interested to read this: https://russellwarne.com/2020/05/31/tea ... elligence/

Last edited by contamination on Tue September 07, 2021 5:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue September 07, 2021 5:28 pm 
Looks Like a Cat

contamination wrote:
I haven't really followed the discussion in this thread, but I find the studies about how IQ influences education success fascinating, and thought some of you might be interested to read this: https://russellwarne.com/2020/05/31/tea ... elligence/

Crazy, but not unpredictable. It would be tough to be a teacher admitting that for many students nothing you will do will make things better.

PostPosted: Wed September 22, 2021 6:28 pm 
Future Drummer

Interesting article in NYT.

https://www.nytimes.com/2021/09/22/opinion/economy-education-women-men.html

A major 2015 study, “The Emergence of Sex Differences in Personality Traits in Early Adolescence: A Cross-Sectional, Cross-Cultural Study,” on which Marleen De Bolle, then of Ghent University, was the lead author — with contributions from 48 additional scholars — described some of the consequences of differing rates of maturity and development:

Our findings demonstrate that adolescent girls consistently score higher than boys on personality traits that are found to facilitate academic achievement, at least within the current school climate. Stated differently, the current school environment or climate might be in general more attuned to feminine-typed personalities, which make it — in general — easier for girls to achieve better grades at school.

PostPosted: Mon October 11, 2021 7:13 pm 
An enigma of a man shaped hole in the wall between reality and the soul of the devil.

Mediocrity reigns

“And truly, if life had no purpose, and I had to choose nonsense, this would be the most desirable nonsense for me as well."

PostPosted: Mon October 11, 2021 7:14 pm 
Troglodyte
 WWW  Profile

To be fair, those programs were packed with mediocre kids with aggressive parents anyhow.

PostPosted: Mon October 11, 2021 10:43 pm 
See you in another life, brother

"Racially segregated program" :| :| :|

PostPosted: Tue October 12, 2021 12:36 am 
Site Admin

GATE alumnus here. First year, I didn't have fun at all, because I was the only one from my school and didn't know anyone. It got much better the next year when my best friend also got in the program, and soon after other classmates from my school joined. Learned some cool stuff, not sure if it was a game changer, though. My mom would have lost her shit if they did away with it, though, she was always frustrated with how she felt regular school was holding me back. As far as racial diversity goes, to the extent that it existed in Boise when I was a kid, GATE was likely slightly more diverse than my school.

PostPosted: Fri November 05, 2021 4:03 pm 
Future Drummer

California Tries to Close the Gap in Math, but Sets Off a Backlash
Proposed guidelines in the state would de-emphasize calculus, reject the idea that some children are naturally gifted and build a connection to social justice. Critics say math shouldn’t be political.

https://www.nytimes.com/2021/11/04/us/california-math-curriculum-guidelines.html

Are there really educators out there who do not think some kids are gifted in math (or languages, or art)?

I can see doing away with calculus as a high school requirement. Replace it with a course on understanding stats and how to use and dissect them. Maybe make math more applicable by using word problems/real life examples on budgeting, calculating easy percentages, mortgage financing, credit card interest rates, the return on higher education, and income tax examples. Just leave the the 'social justice; shit out of it, that's completely arbitrary and math is anything but arbitrary.

PostPosted: Fri November 05, 2021 4:16 pm 
The Master

If we start teaching kids how interest works, western civilization will collapse.

PostPosted: Sat November 06, 2021 5:10 am 
Misplaced My Sponge

surfndestroy wrote:
California Tries to Close the Gap in Math, but Sets Off a Backlash
Proposed guidelines in the state would de-emphasize calculus, reject the idea that some children are naturally gifted and build a connection to social justice. Critics say math shouldn’t be political.

https://www.nytimes.com/2021/11/04/us/california-math-curriculum-guidelines.html

Are there really educators out there who do not think some kids are gifted in math (or languages, or art)?

I can see doing away with calculus as a high school requirement. Replace it with a course on understanding stats and how to use and dissect them. Maybe make math more applicable by using word problems/real life examples on budgeting, calculating easy percentages, mortgage financing, credit card interest rates, the return on higher education, and income tax examples. Just leave the the 'social justice; shit out of it, that's completely arbitrary and math is anything but arbitrary.

Calculus as a high school requirement? Do you have that in Canada? In California, the highest math needed to apply to college is Algebra II/ Trig.

They are talking about dropping Calculus as a high school optional class, I presume. Kinda like they've been pushing to drop Algebra or Geometry being available to 8th graders.

Equity and inclusion looks a lot like my freshman science class, a terribly useless course where I was pestered by kids that ended up at the alternative high school. Tracking works, embrace it.

PostPosted: Tue November 09, 2021 12:54 pm 
Looks Like a Cat

No one saw this coming:

Faced with soaring Ds and Fs, schools are ditching the old way of grading

PostPosted: Tue November 09, 2021 6:43 pm 
See you in another life, brother

And as public schools do that more parents who are able to will send their children to private schools and I predict wider achievement gaps.

PostPosted: Tue November 09, 2021 8:25 pm 
Mind Your Tanners

Bi_3 wrote:
Without reading any of that, Proficiency Based grading has been a push for a while now. It's stupid and infuriating, but it's not new.

PostPosted: Tue November 09, 2021 8:44 pm 
Misplaced My Sponge

elliseamos wrote:
Bi_3 wrote:
Without reading any of that, Proficiency Based grading has been a push for a while now. It's stupid and infuriating, but it's not new.

Educational fads seem to trend towards the worse over all.

PostPosted: Thu November 11, 2021 11:56 am 
Looks Like a Cat

Can't imagine why college costs have become so outrageous that students are taking on six-figure debt.

PostPosted: Thu November 11, 2021 1:25 pm 
Misplaced My Sponge

Bi_3 wrote:

Can't imagine why college costs have become so outrageous that students are taking on six-figure debt.

This country is full of offices stuffed with people doing busy work. It's insane how many people sit behind desks churning out reports nobody ever reads and attending meetings where nothing is accomplished.

Last edited by JuanHamm on Thu November 11, 2021 2:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu November 11, 2021 2:52 pm 
Mind Your Tanners

elliseamos wrote:
Bi_3 wrote:

I read most of it and it's definitely just the (at least) 10-year old proficiency based grading conversation that now includes economic and racial equity as drivers of the need for change.

PostPosted: Thu November 11, 2021 4:17 pm 
NEVER STOP JAMMING!

elliseamos wrote:
elliseamos wrote:
Bi_3 wrote:

I read most of it and it's definitely just the (at least) 10-year old proficiency based grading conversation that now includes economic and racial equity as drivers of the need for change.

It’s a standard in surgical and anesthesia curricula.

Really, most internship/residencies in medical specialties education can be described as proficiency-based.

PostPosted: Thu November 11, 2021 4:43 pm 
Looks Like a Cat

elliseamos wrote:
elliseamos wrote:
Bi_3 wrote:

Maybe this is your point, but isn't that type of evaluation too subjective for assessment at secondary school level?

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 574 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14 ... 29  Next

Board index » Word on the Street » News & Debate