The board's server will undergo upgrade maintenance tonight, Nov 5, 2014, beginning approximately around 10 PM ET. Prepare for some possible down time during this process.
FAQ    Search

Board index » Word on the Street » News & Debate

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 570 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 29  Next
 Post subject: Re: General Education Topik
PostPosted: Tue September 18, 2018 9:29 pm 
Rank This Poster

PostPosted: Tue September 18, 2018 10:00 pm 
See you in another life, brother

So I read that article. It's interesting and could potentially create support for me getting paid more to continue teaching, but it may as well have been written by teachers' union reps. It seemed like there was a lot of technically accurate but intentionally misleading information.

Edit: This isn't to say that teachers should or shouldn't get paid more, just that there was obvious cherry-picking of data without offering the sometimes simple and obvious context that could take away from the basic claim made by the front cover.

PostPosted: Tue September 18, 2018 10:38 pm 
Rank This Poster

4/5 wrote:
So I read that article. It's interesting and could potentially create support for me getting paid more to continue teaching, but it may as well have been written by teachers' union reps. It seemed like there was a lot of technically accurate but intentionally misleading information.

Edit: This isn't to say that teachers should or shouldn't get paid more, just that there was obvious cherry-picking of data without offering the sometimes simple and obvious context that could take away from the basic claim made by the front cover.

There has to be a better way to measure teacher performance than time served and masters degrees in education.

The idea that one has to go study someone else’s theory of education to teach someone else how to do something well is a little silly. There are so many things that effect student scoring that teachers can’t help (Parental Involvement, Food, Shelter, home life....)

The other issue here is inflation. No one wants to admit it, and economists say it isn’t happening, but a teachers salary simply isn’t enough to live on anymore, especially if you have kids.

In most places anyway.

So much is wasted building stadiums and paying administration.

The people in control of the purse strings are the ones benefiting from the bad model.

PostPosted: Tue September 18, 2018 10:58 pm 

Quote:
There has to be a better way to measure teacher performance than time served and masters degrees in education.

Absolutely agree with this. But then again, “there has to be a better way” is a true statement regarding just about everything in public education.

PostPosted: Thu April 25, 2019 11:05 am 
Looks Like a Cat

California taking active steps to make teaching easier:

https://sacramento.cbslocal.com/2019/04/23/willful-defiance-bill-senate/

PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2019 9:26 pm 
Looks Like a Cat

:shake:

https://www.wsj.com/articles/sat-to-give-students-adversity-score-to-capture-social-and-economic-background-11557999000

PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2019 5:32 pm 

Bi_3 wrote:

Idk. It seems like a more nuanced approach than simple race-based affirmative action. It isn't as if schools don't already look at these sorts of factors in an effort to promote diversity on campus. The adversity score doesn't changes students' actual SAT score, it just attempts to quantify something schools are looking at anyway.

PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2019 6:15 pm 
Looks Like a Cat

4/5 wrote:
Bi_3 wrote:

Idk. It seems like a more nuanced approach than simple race-based affirmative action. It isn't as if schools don't already look at these sorts of factors in an effort to promote diversity on campus. The adversity score doesn't changes students' actual SAT score, it just attempts to quantify something schools are looking at anyway.

It's just proxies for race

PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2019 6:40 pm 
Future Drummer

Bi_3 wrote:
4/5 wrote:
Bi_3 wrote:

It's just proxies for race
It should be visible to the student nd not a secret.

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2019 8:51 pm 
Looks Like a Cat

Intersectionality at its best:

https://www.nas.org/images/documents/NeoSegregation_at_Yale.pdf

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2019 9:50 pm 
Site Admin

4/5 wrote:
This would be better to expound upon in the Constitution thread if we ever decide to get back to reviving that, but Justices Powell and O'Connor have really made a mess of affirmative action by forcing schools to jump through all kinds of convoluted schemes to get to what everyone knows is the obvious goal.

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2019 9:52 pm 

Green Habit wrote:
4/5 wrote:
This would be better to expound upon in the Constitution thread if we ever decide to get back to reviving that, but Justices Powell and O'Connor have really made a mess of affirmative action by forcing schools to jump through all kinds of convoluted schemes to get to what everyone knows is the obvious goal.

I'm familiar with the tortured reasoning of O'Connor's Grutter and Gratz opinions, less so with Powell's contributions. Did he write the Bakke opinion?

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2019 9:58 pm 
Site Admin

4/5 wrote:
Green Habit wrote:
4/5 wrote:
I'm familiar with the tortured reasoning of O'Connor's Grutter and Gratz opinions, less so with Powell's contributions. Did he write the Bakke opinion?
He wrote the controlling opinion, yes.

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2019 10:16 pm 

Green Habit wrote:
4/5 wrote:
Green Habit wrote:
4/5 wrote:
He wrote the controlling opinion, yes.

All I really know about Bakke is the backstory and that it disallowed quota systems.

PostPosted: Wed August 14, 2019 3:00 am 
NEVER STOP JAMMING!

PostPosted: Tue September 10, 2019 9:33 pm 
Looks Like a Cat

https://www.sacbee.com/news/politics-government/capitol-alert/article234912107.html

State as parent

Edit: I love how they prioritize the shitty kids over the well behaved ones.

PostPosted: Tue September 10, 2019 11:50 pm 
Rank This Poster

That's a terrible idea.

PostPosted: Wed September 11, 2019 12:25 am 
Troglodyte
 WWW  Profile

My kid's school is doing swim lessons for the 2nd grade. Some parents complained about the loss of academic time, so their kids have to go to another class and do work while their friends go swimming.

Parents are shit.

PostPosted: Wed September 11, 2019 12:27 am 
Troglodyte
 WWW  Profile

Bi_3 wrote:
https://www.sacbee.com/news/politics-government/capitol-alert/article234912107.html

State as parent

Edit: I love how they prioritize the shitty kids over the well behaved ones.

Pretty pointless to suspend K-5. I don't know about middle school.

PostPosted: Wed September 11, 2019 1:02 am 
Looks Like a Cat

run2death wrote:
That's a terrible idea.

It’s as bad our local superintendent who was so concerned about dropout rates among immigrants he told the school board to remind them they are allowed to stay in high school until they are 21. The solution is not to expand English learning classes or do community outreach, it’s to put 20 year olds in classrooms with 13 year olds.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 570 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 29  Next

Board index » Word on the Street » News & Debate