The board's server will undergo upgrade maintenance tonight, Nov 5, 2014, beginning approximately around 10 PM ET. Prepare for some possible down time during this process.
FAQ    Search

Board index » Word on the Street » News & Debate

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1104 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 48, 49, 50, 51, 52, 53, 54 ... 56  Next
 Post subject: Re: Israel & Palestine
PostPosted: Sun March 17, 2024 1:26 am 
Misplaced My Sponge

If US based private military contractors are brought before the Hague, do we still get to invade the Netherlands? Sick and tired of their smug claim of being an older Republic.

(The US and Israel are looking into hiring contractors to distribute aid delivered to the Gaza dock to try to avoid getting US service members getting roped into the ongoing goat rodeo)

PostPosted: Sun March 17, 2024 5:55 pm 
Looks Like a Cat

Additional info from WSJ on post-war plans:

https://www.wsj.com/world/middle-east/israel-gaza-hamas-war-buffer-zone-explained-2a7347af

PostPosted: Mon March 18, 2024 4:08 am 
Misplaced My Sponge

How many times is Israel going to raid the Al-Shifa hospital? The entire Gaza operation just seems like a more intensive version of "mowing the grass". If they aren't attempting to take and hold territory, what is the end game?

Can it be an existential threat if they can choose to deactivate most of their reserves just a few months in?

PostPosted: Mon March 18, 2024 12:47 pm 
Misplaced My Sponge

simple schoolboy wrote:
How many times is Israel going to raid the Al-Shifa hospital? The entire Gaza operation just seems like a more intensive version of "mowing the grass". If they aren't attempting to take and hold territory, what is the end game?

Can it be an existential threat if they can choose to deactivate most of their reserves just a few months in?

What do you do for a living? I just realized I have no idea.

PostPosted: Mon March 18, 2024 3:20 pm 
Misplaced My Sponge

Alex wrote:
simple schoolboy wrote:

I'm a professional bad opinion haver, clearly.

PostPosted: Mon March 18, 2024 3:25 pm 
Misplaced My Sponge

simple schoolboy wrote:
Alex wrote:
simple schoolboy wrote:

There are mitigating strategies to address that. For example, have you considered not posting?

PostPosted: Mon March 18, 2024 3:33 pm 
Misplaced My Sponge

Alex wrote:
simple schoolboy wrote:
Alex wrote:
simple schoolboy wrote:

There are mitigating strategies to address that. For example, have you considered not posting?

My family has worked in the posting mines for three generations. It's the only life we know.

PostPosted: Mon March 18, 2024 3:39 pm 
Misplaced My Sponge

simple schoolboy wrote:
Alex wrote:
simple schoolboy wrote:
Alex wrote:
simple schoolboy wrote:

My family has worked in the posting mines for three generations. It's the only life we know.

I hadn’t pegged you as a union man.

PostPosted: Mon March 18, 2024 3:49 pm 
Looks Like a Cat

simple schoolboy wrote:

Looks like the switch from a blockade to the establishment of a permanent Korea-style DMZ against Gaza to limit weapons production and strike capability post 07.Oct.

PostPosted: Mon March 18, 2024 5:04 pm 
Misplaced My Sponge

Bi_3 wrote:
simple schoolboy wrote:

Looks like the switch from a blockade to the establishment of a permanent Korea-style DMZ against Gaza to limit weapons production and strike capability post 07.Oct.

If they backed off from 'dismantling' Hamas to merely 'degrading', it bolsters their critics that this was about wanton collective punishment more than strategic concerns.

PostPosted: Mon March 18, 2024 6:53 pm 
Looks Like a Cat

simple schoolboy wrote:
Bi_3 wrote:
simple schoolboy wrote:

If they backed off from 'dismantling' Hamas to merely 'degrading', it bolsters their critics that this was about wanton collective punishment more than strategic concerns.

There is literally nothing Israel could possibly do that wouldn't be twisted into something like that. Plans always run into practical realities and the reality is they couldn't kill enough Hamas fighters before sympathy for 07.Oct and their weapons supplies dried up, so it's better to just focus on threat reduction at this point. The good news for the Gazans is that this means a large scale attack in the south is starting to look unlikely.

PostPosted: Mon March 18, 2024 7:30 pm 
Misplaced My Sponge

Bi_3 wrote:
simple schoolboy wrote:
Bi_3 wrote:
simple schoolboy wrote:

There is literally nothing Israel could possibly do that wouldn't be twisted into something like that. Plans always run into practical realities and the reality is they couldn't kill enough Hamas fighters before sympathy for 07.Oct and their weapons supplies dried up, so it's better to just focus on threat reduction at this point. The good news for the Gazans is that this means a large scale attack in the south is starting to look unlikely.

They could've achieved the same threat reduction without leveling quite so many empty buildings. Did they (or the US) not have an understanding of the limits of support that would be provided, or was it being casualty averse that resulted in this waffling? Can you call taksies backsies on a declaration of total war?

PostPosted: Mon March 18, 2024 9:05 pm 
The Master

On Saturday, I thought we’d run head on into the St. Patty’s parade, but turns out it was a pro Palestine protest march.

PostPosted: Mon March 18, 2024 9:18 pm 
NEVER STOP JAMMING!

did you grab some lamb and flatbread?

PostPosted: Mon March 18, 2024 9:22 pm 
Looks Like a Cat

doug rr wrote:

I read this as "did you grab some land?". Mind my must be occupied elsewhere.

PostPosted: Mon March 18, 2024 11:30 pm 
The Master

doug rr wrote:

The protestors weren’t serving food.

PostPosted: Tue March 19, 2024 12:06 am 
NEVER STOP JAMMING!

spike wrote:
doug rr wrote:

The protestors weren’t serving food.

there has to be a business model for that

PostPosted: Fri March 22, 2024 12:53 am 
Looks Like a Cat

Hamas is popular amoungst Palestinians and is their choice to rule Gaza after the war:

https://www.pcpsr.org/sites/default/fil ... 202024.pdf

PostPosted: Fri March 22, 2024 1:35 am 
what on earth am I talking about

Israel just blew up an orphanage.

I mean why not. There’s tens of thousands of newly made orphans now anyways
Who needs a building that houses them and processes them into care

PostPosted: Fri March 22, 2024 1:02 pm 
NEVER STOP JAMMING!

https://english.alarabiya.net/amp/News/middle-east/2024/03/22/Israel-says-seized-800-hectares-of-West-Bank-land-

Israel reported Friday the seizure of 800 hectares (1,977 acres) of land in the occupied West Bank, which activists called the largest action of its kind in decades.

Israel’s Finance Minister Bezalel Smotrich declared as “state lands” the area in the northern Jordan Valley, as US Secretary of State Antony Blinken arrived in Israel for Gaza war talks.

Israeli settlement watchdog Peace Now said the size of the seized area is the largest since 1993’s Oslo Accords, and that “2024 marks a peak in the extent of declarations of state land.”

Israel captured the West Bank, east Jerusalem and the Gaza Strip in the 1967 Arab-Israeli war.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1104 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 48, 49, 50, 51, 52, 53, 54 ... 56  Next

Board index » Word on the Street » News & Debate