The board's server will undergo upgrade maintenance tonight, Nov 5, 2014, beginning approximately around 10 PM ET. Prepare for some possible down time during this process.
FAQ    Search

Board index » Word on the Street » News & Debate




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 35 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
Author Message
 Post subject: Re: politics and film
PostPosted: Tue August 13, 2013 9:37 pm 
Offline
User avatar
Rank This Poster
 Profile

Joined: Tue January 01, 2013 9:52 pm
Posts: 5418
I know you say no docs, but if you change your mind, I'd recommend this one:

Image


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: politics and film
PostPosted: Tue August 13, 2013 9:39 pm 
Offline
Posting (live)
 Profile

Joined: Tue January 01, 2013 3:45 pm
Posts: 19217
Location: the beach
darth_vedder wrote:
I know you say no docs, but if you change your mind, I'd recommend this one:

Image


Stephen Schwarzman is the man


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: politics and film
PostPosted: Tue August 13, 2013 9:39 pm 
Offline
User avatar
Rank This Poster
 Profile

Joined: Tue January 01, 2013 9:52 pm
Posts: 5418
Oh, and I mentioned '1984' in an earlier post...the movie wasn't that good, the book is far better, but it really drives home the point of an authoritarian state.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: politics and film
PostPosted: Tue August 13, 2013 9:41 pm 
Offline
User avatar
Rank This Poster
 Profile

Joined: Tue January 01, 2013 9:52 pm
Posts: 5418
doug rr wrote:
darth_vedder wrote:
I know you say no docs, but if you change your mind, I'd recommend this one:

Image


Stephen Schwarzman is the man


And the Koch brothers.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: politics and film
PostPosted: Tue August 13, 2013 10:07 pm 
Offline
User avatar
The worst
 Profile

Joined: Thu December 13, 2012 6:31 pm
Posts: 30229
darth_vedder wrote:
1984
Wag The Dog
The Manchurian Candidate
Thank You For Smoking
Recount
All The President's Men
Mr. Smith Goes To Washington


i'm showing wag the dog. I've used thank you for smoking in the past

_________________
So many tournaments, so little time


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: politics and film
PostPosted: Tue August 13, 2013 10:07 pm 
Offline
User avatar
The worst
 Profile

Joined: Thu December 13, 2012 6:31 pm
Posts: 30229
darth_vedder wrote:
Oh, and I mentioned '1984' in an earlier post...the movie wasn't that good, the book is far better, but it really drives home the point of an authoritarian state.


I'd use V for Vendetta over the 1984 movie. The book is obviously a million times better than either

_________________
So many tournaments, so little time


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: politics and film
PostPosted: Wed August 14, 2013 12:07 am 
Offline
User avatar
RM Elitist
 Profile

Joined: Tue January 01, 2013 8:43 pm
Posts: 13369
Quiz Show.

_________________
dimejinky99 wrote:
Hang on I check on my Grindr


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: politics and film
PostPosted: Wed August 14, 2013 1:28 am 
Offline
Future Drummer
 Profile

Joined: Wed January 02, 2013 7:52 pm
Posts: 3086
Sullivan's Travels (class)
Ace in the Hole (exploitation in the media) I would check this one out.
Fail-Safe (the forgotten cold war thriller, overshadowed by Dr. Strangelove that same year)
Norma Rae (working class, union)
Reds (communism, America, Russia 1912-1920)
Matewan (working class, union)
Do the Right Thing (class, race)
American Beauty (failure of the American dream)
Traffic (war on drugs)


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: politics and film
PostPosted: Wed August 14, 2013 1:33 am 
Offline
User avatar
The worst
 Profile

Joined: Thu December 13, 2012 6:31 pm
Posts: 30229
i was back and forth on norma rae and bread and roses. Norma Rae is the better movie, but I think I can do more with bread and roses.

_________________
So many tournaments, so little time


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: politics and film
PostPosted: Wed August 14, 2013 7:45 pm 
Offline
User avatar
RM Elitist
 Profile

Joined: Tue January 01, 2013 8:43 pm
Posts: 13369
Quiz Show.

_________________
dimejinky99 wrote:
Hang on I check on my Grindr


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: politics and film
PostPosted: Wed August 14, 2013 7:46 pm 
Offline
User avatar
Posting (live)
 Profile

Joined: Tue January 01, 2013 2:41 pm
Posts: 18711
I'm not sure if you're into the identity politics thing, but I'm trying to think of a disability film that's worth recommending. I can't think of one really. Lots of books, no movies.

_________________
RisingTides wrote:
There is more kindness on the internet than we would care to admit to ourselves. Sometimes we are so afraid of falling victim to a ruse, we miss out on actual opportunities.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: politics and film
PostPosted: Wed August 14, 2013 8:46 pm 
Offline
User avatar
The worst
 Profile

Joined: Thu December 13, 2012 6:31 pm
Posts: 30229
harmless wrote:
I'm not sure if you're into the identity politics thing, but I'm trying to think of a disability film that's worth recommending. I can't think of one really. Lots of books, no movies.


I'm not, in part because it is so difficult to teach (it is like pulling teeth), and in part because I tend to see everything in terms of class these days

_________________
So many tournaments, so little time


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: politics and film
PostPosted: Wed August 14, 2013 11:10 pm 
Offline
User avatar
Posting (live)
 Profile

Joined: Tue January 01, 2013 2:41 pm
Posts: 18711
stip wrote:
harmless wrote:
I'm not sure if you're into the identity politics thing, but I'm trying to think of a disability film that's worth recommending. I can't think of one really. Lots of books, no movies.


I'm not, in part because it is so difficult to teach (it is like pulling teeth), and in part because I tend to see everything in terms of class these days


Boooo! Both / and, not either / or.

_________________
RisingTides wrote:
There is more kindness on the internet than we would care to admit to ourselves. Sometimes we are so afraid of falling victim to a ruse, we miss out on actual opportunities.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: politics and film
PostPosted: Wed August 14, 2013 11:29 pm 
Offline
User avatar
The worst
 Profile

Joined: Thu December 13, 2012 6:31 pm
Posts: 30229
harmless wrote:
stip wrote:
harmless wrote:
I'm not sure if you're into the identity politics thing, but I'm trying to think of a disability film that's worth recommending. I can't think of one really. Lots of books, no movies.


I'm not, in part because it is so difficult to teach (it is like pulling teeth), and in part because I tend to see everything in terms of class these days


Boooo! Both / and, not either / or.


It tends to come up often talking about current events. the first 10 minutes or so (sometimes a bit less, sometimes a lot more) of each class is usually given over to talking about what's going on in the world. Otherwise there are only so many hours in the day. One of the hardest parts of teaching is having to decide what to cut.

When I do identity stuff it tends to be feminism or race stuff (both come up in my theory classes, and the intro class). It tends to not be disability stuff :(

_________________
So many tournaments, so little time


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: politics and film
PostPosted: Thu August 15, 2013 12:46 pm 
Offline
User avatar
Posting (live)
 Profile

Joined: Tue January 01, 2013 2:41 pm
Posts: 18711
stip wrote:
harmless wrote:
stip wrote:
harmless wrote:
I'm not sure if you're into the identity politics thing, but I'm trying to think of a disability film that's worth recommending. I can't think of one really. Lots of books, no movies.


I'm not, in part because it is so difficult to teach (it is like pulling teeth), and in part because I tend to see everything in terms of class these days


Boooo! Both / and, not either / or.


It tends to come up often talking about current events. the first 10 minutes or so (sometimes a bit less, sometimes a lot more) of each class is usually given over to talking about what's going on in the world. Otherwise there are only so many hours in the day. One of the hardest parts of teaching is having to decide what to cut.

When I do identity stuff it tends to be feminism or race stuff (both come up in my theory classes, and the intro class). It tends to not be disability stuff :(


Well, the disabled rights movement is a couple of decades younger than the others, admittedly. It's very interesting though if you ever become interested and think you can fit it in. I get that if you're a teacher, a socio-economic focus is sensible -- a lot of things can be put under that umbrella in a shorter space of time, and identity politics can become frustratingly tangential. It's interesting that in the UK at the moment, disabled identity and politics and socio-economics are clashing in a way they probably never have before.

_________________
RisingTides wrote:
There is more kindness on the internet than we would care to admit to ourselves. Sometimes we are so afraid of falling victim to a ruse, we miss out on actual opportunities.


Top
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 35 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

Board index » Word on the Street » News & Debate


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
It is currently Tue February 20, 2018 1:31 pm